20 years old - Desperate

lost my swagger,

I believe a young person thinking about a hair transplant should consider the points you've mentioned. However, I am also a firm believer that in our lifetime there will be either a cure for baldness or a more effective form of treatment for it. I would much rather have a semi-happy youth before this treatment/cure comes out than be miserable until one does and then look back at my life and feel that I missed out. Just my two cents.

space, i completly understand what your saying as well...trust me... i wish you the very best with your decision. your very lucky to have found this place. wish i was that lucky...id have put myself in a MUCH better postion long term.. all the best man, for real. you seem to have a good understanding that this is not a 'walk in the park' process. here is to you hopefully 'getting over this' someday soon. i hope your HT will get you there

lovestospoon-- there is really only one thing to say about your post.... the cure for baldness has been "right around the corner" for the last 30 years.. many a suffer has felt the way you feel only to watch decades roll by with NOTHING. does that mean the world is not closer?? no. and i PRAY i see it in my lifetime. but you would be making a HUGE mistake IMO, if you factor the 'cure' into ANY surgical decision you might make... that is unless you know something your not telling meicon_wink.gif

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

Thanks LMS, I appreciate that. I still have plenty of doubts, but I'm hoping for the best as I have felt at a stand still in my mental happiness for the past couple years. I deifnitely didn't rush into this HT

Yeah guys have thought the cure was "5 years away" since the 80's. No dice.

I see a lot of guys on here say they count on that for future treatment. Please do not take that in to your plan. Guys in 2030's will probably still be saying the same thing.

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week

Fish Oil capsules w/ Omega-3

I knew you guys would say that. But think of the changes in technology from the 70s to the 80s. Then from the 90s to the 00s. It's exponential the growth that we've seen in these areas. How many drugs out there are we still using from 60 years ago that haven't been improved since then? The only one that comes to my mind is penecilin. Why? Because it was the cure and it was effective. They did not need to refine it. They need to refine hairloss drugs because they suck at the moment. I know you should always be skeptical of the "5 years away" comments but to tell you the truth technology will allow us to get much closer than ever before and since its growing as fast at it is I am confident. I'm not saying it will be happening any time soon, but I can be pretty positive I will be alive to see it. If it is not cured in my lifetime, I can guarantee there will at least be a more effective treatment available. So basically all I'm saying is that a young person having a hair transplant might not be destined to your scenario thats all. You've pointed out the worst case scenerio and I've pointed out the best and it's up to the individual now to make an educated decision on which route will make them happier.

You've pointed out the worst case scenerio and I've pointed out the best and it's up to the individual now to make an educated decision on which route will make them happier."

---------------------------------------------------

there are flaws to this statement IMO, i sent you a PM so as to not hijack this thread by going off its original topic.

Just posting to *confirm* what LMS said re: my HT.

And to further clarify, and perhaps give some additional perspective to the OP (and any1 else):

Meds -- I've had zero qualms, I responded well, and my further areas of loss were -- and are -- most protected by them

Styling -- I can't be "reckless" like I could when I had true density; that said, my hair is best when I style it how I'd prefer anyways, and it looks good most of the time with little effort. And, with a bit of effort it can look great; and, with a bit of "bad luck" it can look not so great...

Mooooore HTs -- 100%...I am financially stable to afford them and execute them when optimal and desired; I have very good donor to overcome most if not all of what future loss will likely be. All that aside, it's still a bitch! To be blunt, I'm not sure how I'd even go about *another* round(s) of HTs w/ regard to making sure friends/acquaintances don't find out...and I say this *still* in a rare, positive position where I shouldn't have to sweat the $, and I have lots of job flexibility.

Continuing Woes -- To a degree and extent, and for the foreseeable future. In all honesty, the area between the end of my recipient and where my vertex begins has continued to thin. This has resulted in more difficulty in achieving looks of "perfect" density, and, most troubling, it has hampered the perceived-density in my hairline itself. I'm basically relegated to twiddle my thumbs and eventually break out the nanogen while the area thins bad enough to where I could go in for another session of ~2500g, possibly to even bolster density in the hairline further.

But ya, it was a 100% right decision for me, but that doesn't mean it's a perfect one, and it doesn't mean that the magnitude and "righteousness" of the decision is even fully yet determined!

**I do often think about "if I had just shaved my head"...right after I did post-HT, despite being out of shape, pale, etc. I didn't even hate how I looked....and if put the work/time/$ into "shaving" and like building my own grappling/gymnastics gym in my garage; go on a few vacations; etc. I'm still glad I took the route I did, but it's just something to think about.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thank you everyone for your input. you all are really helping me alot in my decision making. As of now at 20 years old in college supposed to be living the life I think a ht is the only way to go to really be happy and confident. I am keeping my future in mind and I do accept I will be needing more ht as I am almost positive I will be just as bald as my father and grandfather by the direction I am going right now. I mean no one ever wants to go bald so what the hell why not get the conservative ht now for the hairline taking into account I will be needing more in the future. If by some distant chance I don't lose all of my hair I can always go back and thicken up the recipient areas. Also, sure its always better to wait to get ht to better assess my hairloss and distribution of donor hair but now is the time I really need it and I don't see much harm if I go through this procedure conservatively. I have found a top doc from the coalition and I'm confident he will do a good job from the rep he has on this forum. So, I think I'm going to take that one last step and go through with the ht... I'd really appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Thanks

hey Baldboy123,

I just want to say good luck to you for your potential hair transplant. As a young guy myself, who lost alot of hair from late teens to early 20s, I know where you are coming from. In my case I waited to see where my hairloss was going (very, very hard to do, am nearly 26 now), as I knew I would lose more hair, and now feel I am in the right situation to get it done and make a very good improvement. I do understand why you don't wanna wait though, and hope everything goes well icon_smile.gif

I know what you are all saying and agree to a large extent. But, I have to tell you. After reading this thread, the idea of a HT seems allot less appealing. If the "scenarios" that some of you pointed out as having to be met to be a good candidate were completely accurate, I think one or two docs could meet the entire U.S. HT demand icon_smile.gif

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Originally posted by Can't decide:

I know what you are all saying and agree to a large extent. But, I have to tell you. After reading this thread, the idea of a HT seems allot less appealing. If the "scenarios" that some of you pointed out as having to be met to be a good candidate were completely accurate, I think one or two docs could meet the entire U.S. HT demand icon_smile.gif

its just a different procedure all together between a young guy with plenty native hair left to lose and someone who has allowed their hairloss to progress a little more.... the thing about the OPs case is that it appears very very likely he is headed for high NW status... his hairloss IMO will be extremely difficult to stabalize. that takes out one scenario.. now the fact he will likely continue to lose the remanider of his native hair 20s, 30s, ect. means that surgery at this point is playing the game of catch up.. he will get improvments but loss will also continue, then it will become how long should he wait before HT #2 and where to address it. its a much more diffcult game plan then that of an established NW5

an already high NW going in is NOT expecting miracles and a good translpant will more drastically change his appearance and since his loss has progresses his future loss if any will be much less noticable to the look of his gained transplant... thats the 2nd scenario..this if course is my opinion on hair transplantation...but i feel it can be supported heavily by by the many many examples ive seen through my personal research...

that said baldboy123, i wish you the best. be SURE with your choice of Dr. and please dont let travel play a role. there is no need to rush this and to do so is prob not in your best interest. its just to important a decision. good luck with everything and keep us posted.

http://hair-restoration-info.c...66060861/m/809106822

the above link is a good idea of what i mean.... here is a higher NW who after 2HTs has a bald/thin crown with a new hairline and created illusion of desity in his front half.... this patient is happy because considering where he WAS his appearance has been improved quite a bit and his face framed..he also should not have to worry much about his hair up top as it is mainly transplant. basically his hairloss situation is only going UP... baldboy123's situation will likely be filled with ups AND downs and all aroundsicon_wink.gif

this is a SUCCESSFUL HT. guys in his shoes expecting much more than this ought to re think. this is a patient posted result on the TYPICAL bald man. its not a WOW result we all hope we can achieve.

LMS - I agree but I disagree with the link you posted of a "Typical" results as what to expect with that level of hairloss. That guy could have achieved better coverage and density if he went for a larger session,etc. However, he may have had donor issues. So, if taking donor issues into account, then I agree that it may be typical.

By the way, I think his results is pretty good as you said.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

LMS,

Do you think this is typical of a mega-session the patient would have received from one of the so called "top 5 docs"? I guess we need to find out how many grafts this patient received?

Originally posted by crow1:

LMS,

Do you think this is typical of a mega-session the patient would have received from one of the so called "top 5 docs"? I guess we need to find out how many grafts this patient received?

crow1--- i think its more than fair to say that this result could be done in one session by a select few docs/clinics... however its also fair to say that alot of docs on the 'list' do not typically do sessions like this in one pass... there is really no question that the MAJORITY of patients out there are getting results like these after multiple HTs.. one might even say its 'TYPICAL'.

cant decide-- what do you mean by donor issues?? do you mean he does not have freak donor like nic nitro?...... not everyone can pull 9 thousand plus grafts, in fact i would bet the MAJORITY cannot.... this guy can go in for 2 more sessions(maybe), or ONE large session like you suggest and STILL not achieve full coverage unless he elects to remain thin throughout.. his hair will STILL be thin enough on top that styling is limited. i think his one overhead shot is proof of that. but you are right improvements would be made with another procedure..

i do consider this a typical result on a man with his level of hairloss.... he likely has 2 to 3 thousand grafts left, tops(guessing)... that is unless he wants to start splitting graftsicon_wink.gif...

cant decide-- how many grafts do you think that patient has had thus far?

I agree with a lot of things that LMS is saying. However, one thing about waiting to get to NW5 before starting the HT route is that it will be much harder if not impossible to hide it from people you know. Just one other factor to keep in mind.

To restate the obvious the sooner you get onto meds the better (assuming you have no unmanageable side effects).

LMS - Let me clarify. I think the patient that you posted has had about 2500-3000 grafts in my opinion (I could of course be wrong). His result is 'Ok" but what I am saying is that most of the top docs (Feller, Rahal, Hasson) can typically achieve more dramatic results in one pass using this many grafts. For example, look at the feller patient Tubs at 7 months. Granted, he had 3500 but his change is FAR more dramatic then the guy you posted. The same can be said for countless other patients which have received 2500-3000 from these docs. While we all know that you cannot expect incredibly thick density, the guy you posted came out with very thin density in my opinion and I think one can expect far better in one pass.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

I have to weigh in again because I don't feel that this kid has been sufficiently warned.

I started going bald at 24. Me! I was Mr. "Boy you have a lot of hair!" from the time I was a kid until 2001. So I couldn't believe it when it started going. For a long time, I was in denial about it. In all seriousness, I couldn't even understand why my hair never looked as good as other people's. In fact, I had no conscious idea that I was actually balding even though the evidence was as plain as the nose on my face. When I saw my temples receding, I thought that I had accidentally cut my hair too short!

So that's the background. Bottom line was that I couldn't face it. I signed up at HLH right away and thought that I'd fix the whole thing in one fell swoop. I'd get a hair transplant, and I'd be back to my old self. Some days, I spent 6 hours a day surfing for HT info. When I was 24, the 20s were all that mattered. The 20s were for going out, for getting girls, and for being "the man." Even now, I recall an HLH poster named NYCman who was 34 at the time I joined. I thought, "Boy, why does he want a hair transplant? He's 34!"

What I didn't realize until I turned 30 (and now 31) is that it takes a LONG time before you feel older. I feel the same way at 31 as I did when I was 20. I still want to go out; I still want girls; and I still want to be the man. And thus, I've learned that the body ages much, much faster than the mind. So the notion that you will not care about your hair when you're in your 30s is total horseshit.

The truth is that you will care about your hair as much in the future as you do now. Even if you marry Megan Fox next week, you will STILL care about your hair. Even if you're worth $100 million AND still married to Megan Fox at age 30 or 35 or 40, you will STILL care about how your hair looks. Look at Donald Trump. Look at Travolta. Both of them are over 50. What do they have to prove? Nothing. Or so you'd think. They both have more money than they could ever spend; they both can get girls that you and I can't even sniff; and they both live in the lap of luxury. What else do they have in common? They both do everything they can not to appear bald.

Point? You're not going to be magically over this at 30 or 35 or 40. If it bothers you now, chances are that it'll bother you for a long, long time. That's why it's critical to make the right choices about tomorrow. Throwing tomorrow away is foolish because, before long, tomorrow will be today. And then you might have to deal with a shitstorm of horrible consequences from going the HT route now. Remember: bald might be ugly, but it's not weird. Bad HTs are WEIRD, and the overwhelming majority of them are bad. Even among the top docs, many of them are noticeable----ESPECIALLY to women, who, if you don't know, tend to notice EVERYTHING.

My advice is to do what I have done and bite the bullet. Wear a hat if you have to, but wait. Wait until your pattern reveals itself. I mean, at age 20, you haven't even begun to enter the worst stage of balding, which is typically between 24 and 30. Please, please wait. Wait to see whether you can maintain the hair you have, and wait to avail yourself of the treatments of tomorrow. For God's sake, you could wait 10 years and be a bigger girl magnet at 30 than you could EVER be in your 20s.

The truth is that men become MORE attractive to women as times goes by, not less. They don't view us the way we view them. They don't place a premium on youth; in fact, the better ones are scared of it. At 31, I now get girls that I never could have gotten at 22. I've dated girls who made fun of me in high school, and when it ends, I'm the one ending it.

Will I get a hair transplant? Maybe. Maybe not. But at least I have a firm idea of what I'm getting into because I've waited.

imissthebarber-- waiting is also just tuff to do PERIOD... young guys prob care about keeping their HT a secret a little more than older more advanced NW.. often i think they are just THRILLED to death to actually have some hair up top again.. i think thats the case with this guy.. i get what you are sayin, for sure..

Cant decide-- ill start bu saying that i think this guy has exaused ATLEAST half his donor although we are both just seculating im prob righticon_wink.gif...ive seen results like this from ALL 3 of the drs you have named. often there is just only so much that can be done.... feller typically does not post that many high NW patients when he posts his own results. native hair is paramount in most of them.. when that is the case your right he can 'dense up' the patients front third to a greater degree but here it the kicker! he uses more grafts to get there typically.. almost ALL these guys would be left with thin or bald crowns should the meds lose effectivness(which they have been shown to do) and the native hair be lost

i think your comment about these few being about to do more with the same amount is only HALF correct.... your last statment.--- "While we all know that you cannot expect incredibly thick density, the guy you posted came out with very thin density in my opinion and I think one can expect far better in one pass."---- i do not believe this statment to be very accurate... in ONE pass from any of those docs this guys results would be VERY close to what they are... the super duper amazing results you will see posted all the time either A. include LOTS of native hair(that without would make the 'stand alone' transplant not near as impressive) or B. they have had MULTIPLE HTs and ABOVE average donor... ill say it again.. above A.V.E.R.A.G.E donor...

in fact, feel free to post a NW 5 or 6 from any or all of the names docs where they were able to do a significant amount more in ONE pass... and the 2 to 3 that you MIGHT find will likely be H&W patients and its because MORE GRAFTS WERE USED...

here is one final key-- whether the doc uses 2500 grafts in the first procedure or 6000. that patient will STILL only have the same amount of avaliable donor NO MATTER WHAT... he wont just be able to go back for another 5000 grafts in pass # 2..... for the record i believe H&W has the right idea on high NWs pull as much as you can in HT #1. then go from there...

You hair loss is not stabilized, therefore you should not do anything at this point. Considering your hair loss history, HT will probably not appropriate for you.

My recommendation is shave it all off, and seriously go the gym 5 times a week. We will talk in a year, and count the number of women you will get. Hair is really overrated in term of sexual attractiveness.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Hey badboy. I haven't read all the posts but i feel identified with you.

I'am 21 years old and my hair is very much like yours. I decided and had my operation 1.5 months ago with Rahal so feel free to follow mine because you will see your head right there :P

What can i say? it sucks big time.