hair transplant with Dr. Dorin

kujii

Hi all,

Wish you a happy new year. Like many of you, i am a hair loss sufferer. Have been losing my hair since i was 23. By the time i was 27, it has become noticiable to the extent that it bothered me very much. At 28, I got a hair transplant of 2000 grafts by Dr. Dorin.

My initial experience with him was very good. He is a very kind and sincere man. Initially, I was very excited. However, 6 months into it, i have had very poor growth in many areas. It is finally 9 months today, and i can honestly say, that my left side of my temple has filled in better, but still, not to the point that it is covering the bald spot. but the right side is very weak. I dont understand why i can still see my bald spot. I feel like the grafts were place too far apart and perhaps he should have packed?

I am very disappointed at my final results. I feel like my expectations were not unrealistic. Seeing many before after pictures in the true dorin website, i was convinced that i would atleast get an outcome similar to many of the other patients. but, it hasn't been like that.

i have been very depressed at my result. my relationship has faltered to a point where i get overly conscious about my hair. i try to comb over etc etc. i just dont have the same confidence i used to that i thought this hair transplant would give me.

ok i just went to the bathroom and checked my hair. i can seriously count how many hairs i have on the right. to me thats not a good sign.

i am so sick and tired of staying at home and not enjoying life like i used to. 2 years of extreme depression.

what can i do at this point? i know if grafts didn't grow, the office will give me another procedure for free. but if initially i had poor growth, i am scared of going back in again and wasting my donor region and again coming out with a poor growth. please advise...

sincerely

kujii

Edited by kujii
ll

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i will definitely post some. i am going to the true dorin office next week and i will try to get a hold of some before pictures. Again i would like to say that dr. dorin is a great doctor. but however, my results were pretty poor. I dont know atleast to me it looks poor. perhaps i might have a different reaction once i see my before pictures. again i will post them here asap. thank you

I'm sorry for you, but you are handling yourself well with your comments on here I must say - i.e respecting the doctor, considering you may have expected too much, while also appreciating you may be pleased when you see just how far you've come.

Also, it's 9 months......things should still improve at this point, according to the timelines I've read.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

here are my after pics. i have started lipogaine 2 months back and nizoral shampoo about 2 weeks back. i have been going through some massive shredding recently. so perhaps i am more bald now because of lipogaine? i am not sure...

can someone please advise me on what to do? is my hair transplant a failure or a success? or semi success? would one more give me a good head of hair? thank you

kujii

5b32d655a7985_Photoon2013-01-17at19_17.jpg.77b8751d7cf7abc73463d403ad89e85d.jpg

5b32d655b7040_Photoon2013-01-17at19_18.jpg.da8473bff7eae8fd4399bd8b04cc29bc.jpg

5b32d655c2574_Photoon2013-01-17at19_182.jpg.5461cd03bc7e51432227dcb6b1fadcf0.jpg

I'm sorry for you, but you are handling yourself well with your comments on here I must say - i.e respecting the doctor, considering you may have expected too much, while also appreciating you may be pleased when you see just how far you've come.

Also, it's 9 months......things should still improve at this point, according to the timelines I've read.

thank you for your kind comments. this waiting game is killing me. there is definitely a poor result in my pictures as you can see. very disheartening at least to me

It is fairly common for one side to lag behind the other. You have three more months to go before seeing your final result, so be patient. Hair grows in cycles, and remember that HT hair is like baby hair; it needs time.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Kujii,

Like a few others stated, you still have several months left to grow and mature, and the Nizoral/Lipogaine could be causing a shed and decreasing the overall appearance of the 9 month results. Having said that, I'm still sorry to hear that you're disappointed.

However, I did want to let you know that I notified Dr. Dorin of the situation and asked that he visit the thread, analyze the situation, and discuss options for moving forward.

If there is anything else I can do to help in the meantime, please let me know.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Kujii,

Like a few others stated, you still have several months left to grow and mature, and the Nizoral/Lipogaine could be causing a shed and decreasing the overall appearance of the 9 month results. Having said that, I'm still sorry to hear that you're disappointed.

However, I did want to let you know that I notified Dr. Dorin of the situation and asked that he visit the thread, analyze the situation, and discuss options for moving forward.

If there is anything else I can do to help in the meantime, please let me know.

thanks guys for your prompt response. I feel much relieved knowing that i still have yet to see more growth coming. I honestly think the lipogaine/nizoral treatment i am using is causing my hair to feel less dense than it was 2 months ago. apart from that, one of the temple is definitely lagging behind.

Thanks future HT Doc, although i dont really want to cause a mountain out of a molehill. I have an appointment with doctor dorin next week and im sure we will address all my concerns. I recall him advising me to start propecia 9 months ago but i didn't due to fear of side effects. But i will take the plunge in the next two weeks and start off at a small dosage initially.

Again, I only posted my concerns in this forum and i mean no disrespect to dr. dorin and his wonderful staff. I just wanted to get peoples opinions here about the nature of my hair growth and really just to educate myself rather than blindly walking into a doctors office and nodding to everything the doc says.

I initially signed up weeks ago but i was researching this website and i saw so many good outcomes from dr. dorin that i just became very depressed and hence I posted here. (...

thanks again guys

Edited by kujii
didnt like the ending

Kujii,

No problem! It seems like you're approaching this from a calm, logical point of view, and I think that will help keep the situation civil and fair. Additionally, because we like to keep the forums fair, balanced, and transparent, I think a reply from Dr. Dorin (or an official clinic representative) will help clarify the situation and find appropriate resolution.

Additionally, I'm glad you're scheduled to see him in person; this should be very helpful as well!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

kulji, what you're going through is 100% normal. I've been through the HT process several times, and even though I know exactly what to expect, I always find myself wondering "Will this look any better or is this it?" The answer is that it always does end up looking better, it just takes 12 months, and sometimes 18 months, to reach its full potential. You picked a top doc so have faith in his abilities, and let nature take its course. Worst case scenario I'm certain T&D will stand behind their work and do everything they can to make you a satisfied customer.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Kuji,

Thanks for sharing your experience and concerns on our forum. I'm also pleased to hear that you've been in contact with the clinic and will be consulting Dr. Dorin in person next week. I trust they'll provide you with an accurate assessment of your results and if it appears that you haven't had optimal growth, they'll do what they can to help you.

While your hairs at the temple area and right and left side of the hairline do appear thin, the pictures you've presented aren't overly hiqh quality. While I understand that you can't re-take "before" photos, I strongly suggest re-taking current photos of your hair when it's dry and styled rather than messy and wet.

The reality is, almost anyone's hair will look thin when it's wet and unstyled. Thus, a more realistic comparision before and after surgery is showing pictures of dry and combed/brushed hair.

Honestly, from the photos you've presented, I can't really conclude much, other than that I know you're unhappy so far. Thus, so the community can provide a more accurate opinion of your results, I suggest taking better quality photos of your hair when it's styled and dry.

Best wishes in resolving your concerns,

Bill

Kuji,

I myself have had two FUT procedures with Dr. Dorin. His approach is always very conservative, at least in my experience and the apparent experience of all of his other patients who are active on this site. Prior to having my first procedure, Dr. Dorin was very straightforward with me about the need for me to have two smaller procedures rather than one big procedure. I had diffuse thinning at the hairline and the crown. My two procedures totaled a little under 2000 grafts combined, with the first procedure being 1033 grafts in May of 2011 and the second being 850 in July of 2012. Although I was satisfied with the results of the first procedure, it was only after the second procedure that I really felt that I achieved (and am still achieving) my desired result. I suspect that you are similarly situated. Prior to my procedures with Dr. Dorin, my obsession over my hair and concealing my hair loss caused me immeasurable distress on a daily basis. I used to load my hair up with gel and hair spray to the point of it looking so unnatural that baldness would have actually been a preferable look if I was able to accept it. Between procedures, that obsession with my hair was alleviated to a large degree. However, it was only after the second procedure that it was really gone. My daily hair preparation routine has gone from an hour to a minute. I am sure that Dr. Dorin will get you there as well. Best of luck.

hey thanks guys. yes it might seem that another procedure is needed to achieve the result i am looking for. i will definitely post some better before/after pictures once i come in next week for a follow up consultation. i will post the results here immediately. on another note. i will begin propecia medication around next week and start off at 0.25 per week and slowly build it up based on spex's recommendation. however i know i am starting at a much lower dosage.

cheers guys

kujii

Edited by kujii

Kuji,

I myself have had two FUT procedures with Dr. Dorin. His approach is always very conservative, at least in my experience and the apparent experience of all of his other patients who are active on this site. Prior to having my first procedure, Dr. Dorin was very straightforward with me about the need for me to have two smaller procedures rather than one big procedure. I had diffuse thinning at the hairline and the crown. My two procedures totaled a little under 2000 grafts combined, with the first procedure being 1033 grafts in May of 2011 and the second being 850 in July of 2012. Although I was satisfied with the results of the first procedure, it was only after the second procedure that I really felt that I achieved (and am still achieving) my desired result. I suspect that you are similarly situated. Prior to my procedures with Dr. Dorin, my obsession over my hair and concealing my hair loss caused me immeasurable distress on a daily basis. I used to load my hair up with gel and hair spray to the point of it looking so unnatural that baldness would have actually been a preferable look if I was able to accept it. Between procedures, that obsession with my hair was alleviated to a large degree. However, it was only after the second procedure that it was really gone. My daily hair preparation routine has gone from an hour to a minute. I am sure that Dr. Dorin will get you there as well. Best of luck.

hey hair no evil. thanks for your message. i remember seeing ur pictures on the website and i believe ur picture made me really jealous :).

ur right. doc dorin did say to me initially that i might need another 1600 more grafts as a 2nd procedure...

but in my 7 month follow up..he changed it to 1200..perhaps i had a better growth? i am taking this medicine called nuhair (saw palmetto etc). i dont know if that really helped with my hair growth but after 2 months of using it i definitely noticed a thicker hair. i might get back on it again. but most importantly, i think i will start the FDA approved propecia first.

also are you using any medication at the moment?

thanks

do you think that 0.25 per week is to low, prob wont do much, i started a few days ago and am doing 0.25 every other day, but idk i think its still not enuf, maybe 0.33 every opther day is better, good luck to you

i believe there is a study out there that shows that 0.25 is just as effective as 1 mg...if not more and causes less side effects? apparantly, most of the side effects are in ur head i believe. and perhaps if you get your body used to it, i think you have less chances of developing one

kujii,

First, you seem to have good hair...which is a great start. :)

From a lot of reading, and from my experience, the Nizoral can greatly thin your hair in the beginning. For me, I think it thinned for a few months before it grew back. Between the initial loss just from Nizoral starting to grow back, combine with the transplanted hairs continuing to mature...I think you will see nothing but positive in the upcoming months. Waiting is the hardest part, and if you obsess like it

sounds that you do (and as I do also) it just makes it harder. Stay positive. Know that it is a process, and you have a great doctor that wants you to be a success story!

As far as the Propecia, just try to really pay attention. Don't expect the side effects, but also don't ignore them if they start to surface. I know for a fact that at least for some people, the side effects are not just in "their head." But I also know many people that had no side effects at all. It is not going to hurt to at least try.

You are still using the Nizoral, right?

Best of luck, and hang in there...it will more than likely get better.

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

hey hair no evil. thanks for your message. i remember seeing ur pictures on the website and i believe ur picture made me really jealous :).

ur right. doc dorin did say to me initially that i might need another 1600 more grafts as a 2nd procedure...

but in my 7 month follow up..he changed it to 1200..perhaps i had a better growth? i am taking this medicine called nuhair (saw palmetto etc). i dont know if that really helped with my hair growth but after 2 months of using it i definitely noticed a thicker hair. i might get back on it again. but most importantly, i think i will start the FDA approved propecia first.

also are you using any medication at the moment?

thanks

Thanks for the compliment Kujii. I would definitely discuss your concerns with Dr. Dorin, because I am sure that any perceived shortcomings with your first procedure will be remedied with a second procedure. Although we'd all like to get it done in one sitting at one time, it's definitely a two step process to get the ultimate result.

I've been taking Propecia daily (1mg) for about 13 years or so. I've always been very vigilant about my hair loss, so I started taking it at the first sign of thinning in the crown. Although my hair loss was never what could be considered to be severe on the spectrum, it bothered me just the same. Without the Propecia, there's no telling how much more severe my hair loss would have become.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. I thought it would be fair to give an update right now. I visited dr. Dorin 3 weeks back, and he claimed that all my grafts have already grown and that maybe 25-40 didn't grow on my right side and so he would be willing to give me 25 grafts for free but that I would need another procedure. I disagreed with him and said that my right temple is definitely receding and there hasn't been much growth atleast satisfactorily for me. I agreed to get on propecia to evaluate how I respond before needing another hair restoration.

I asked him about the pictures on his website and be said they were the best outcomes. I got pretty upset hearing this.

On another note, I started propecia last week at 0.25 grams. I would like to say, my hairloss went from 20 hairs or more everyday in shower to practically 0-1 hair. I'm thinking its working? As far as sides, I have none so far.

I'm praying the combination of propecia, lipogaine and nizoral would restore my hair. Keep you folks updated with a new pic around next week.

• 1 month later...

I would like to give an update. I'm very sorry if I bad mouthed dr. Dorin. I have had a minor (transformation) that I have noticed since yesterday. My hair on right is actually filling in slowly and I look more presentable than looking like a clown. My left has matured significantly where I feel no work needs to be done there anymore.

I feel another 1400 graft will fix my problem.

Hmm...propecia side effects kicked in initially around week 2 of using propecia. But I followed that up with l arginine and everything was good. Been 1 week since I used l arginine but everything is good now In that department. I don't think I have benefitted from propecia yet. But my hair has definitely thickened up all over. Overall, I'm pleased at dr. Dorins final result. But feel he should give me 200 grafts for free IMO on the right side of my temple

Thanks guys

Kujii

Edited by kujii
Bb

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Kujji..Congrats on your outcome you still have some time to see if they the hairs mature more..and I think u ve been pretty professional from the start of this thread and didn't actually bad mouthed Dr Dorin considering u were not satisfied with ur result and still said Dr Dorin is very good..I am actually thinking about going for a HT with Dr Dorin..