Round Two With SMG

orlhair1

Thanks everyone! StaggerLee123.....I just checked the hairloss website and it is working. See you bright and early tomorrow Janna. I am glad it "warmed up" a little in Minneapolis from the past few days of frigid weather. :)

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Bill. I will update over the course of the year.

I finished the first portion of my FUE via ARTAS today with about 969 grafts (I will update with details). The ATAS procedure was easy, although the position in the chair was awkward at first. Once the valium kicked in I slept through a lot of it. Donor and recipient looks very clean. Janna and Dr. Ron took a series of photos of my hair at 2 and 1 guard and shaved down for my FUE to show just how good my scar from my first surgery came out. These will be posted soon. Going back tomorrow for another 800 or so with the regular punch (not ARTAS). Getting a little more done than my original plan, but excited about what I am having done! I will keep everyone posted.

Edited by orlhair1

Thank you Bill. I will update over the course of the year.

I finished the first portion of my FUE via ARTAS today with about 925 grafts (I will update with details). The ATAS procedure was easy, although the position in the chair was awkward at first. Once the valium kicked in I slept through a lot of it. Donor and recipient looks very clean. Janna and Dr. Ron took a series of photos of my hair at 2 and 1 guard and shaved down for my FUE to show just how good my scar from my first surgery came out. These will be posted soon. Going back tomorrow for another 800 or so with the regular punch (not ARTAS). Getting a little more done than my original plan, but excited about what I am having done! I will keep everyone posted.

Great you are half way there! For those of us who don't know what ARTAS is would you kindly explain if you are not too loopy from your meds? :D Take it easy and update later as you said.

Get a good nights sleep and gl tomorrow.

Great you are half way there! For those of us who don't know what ARTAS is would you kindly explain if you are not too loopy from your meds? :D

Get a good nights sleep and gl tomorrow.

:). ARTAS is a robotic system used to assist in the FUE process. It is a new addition to the tools that SMG uses. It is really fascinating how it works.

im planning on going to SMG myself, once i can get a good set of pics for a consult,im getting better taking them myself, hopefully next batch will come out good enough, i follow all SMG guys, one day hopefully it will be me in the chair. heal well and good growth to you.

im planning on going to SMG myself, once i can get a good set of pics for a consult,im getting better taking them myself, hopefully next batch will come out good enough, i follow all SMG guys, one day hopefully it will be me in the chair. heal well and good growth to you.

Going to SMG was the best thing I could have done. Great people and great talent. You will be very happy with them.

All done! Total of 1,513 grafts. No more were needed for what I had done. I strengthened and lowered my temple corners. Also placed more grafts over the entire front third and did a little work in the middle, where I had not done anything previously. All went well and very smooth as would be expected. SMG took lots of pictures, so we will get some posted soon.

Awesome! Congrats dude and can't wait to see the pictures! Relax tonight...

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Congrat's Orlhair1,

From what i here from Matt Zupan, you are one of the first to have the new addition(ARTAS). I'm scheduled for Feb 4th-5th. Please tell me your experience as far as the seamlessness of the ARTAS compared to the regular FUE punch method. Did they say anything about the quality of graft from the ARTAS,good, bad etc? I wish you the best of luck with only great growth ahead. This is my second go round with SMG as well. I had FUE this time last year.

Congrat's Orlhair1,

From what i here from Matt Zupan, you are one of the first to have the new addition(ARTAS). I'm scheduled for Feb 4th-5th. Please tell me your experience as far as the seamlessness of the ARTAS compared to the regular FUE punch method. Did they say anything about the quality of graft from the ARTAS,good, bad etc? I wish you the best of luck with only great growth ahead. This is my second go round with SMG as well. I had FUE this time last year.

Thanks very much! ARTAS had very high quality grafts for me based on what I was told. It was very easy. The chair is a little awkward at first, but once my valium kicked in I slept through part of it. I had a lot of people in the room. Besides the SMG team, there were a couple people from Restoration Robotics there as well. I was impressed by the process. The second day with the regular punch was easy as well. The donor from both looks great. Overnight my donor from ARTAS had already started to heal. I really had no significant discomfort. I took the pain meds as a precaution before I went to bed even though I did not think I needed them, but did not take any this morning. The entire SMG team was fantastic as well. I am pretty excited about the work I had done. I think you will be very happy with the experience. A lot of photos were taken, and I will work with Janna to get them posted. I go back in the AM for a wash and then fly home. Best of luck with your next one. If you have any questions just shoot me a private message and I will be glad to answer them or speak by phone.

Sounds like you had a great experience with SMG again. 1500 grafts is decent size for FUE. I am curious to hear about any downtime, or "ugly ducking" stage you will encounter if any and some pictures. Wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the good wishes! We will get some photos up soon. I have a full military buzz shaved cut. You can see my strip scar but it turned out really good. I think it will look pretty good within a week. My hair grows fast. I expect it will look fine in 2 weeks. SMG took some pics at various lengths before I was shaved. I regularly get my sides and back cut to a 3 guard and you can't see the scar at all. Cut to a 2 guard, you could see it if you looked for it, but the average person would not. I will take pics weekly for 3 or 4 weeks and update periodically after that.

Thanks again Aaron and StaggerLee for the good wishes!!

Hi Orlhair,

I know we planned on putting these pics in your first thread but since discussions have started here about your donor scar, I'll post all pics on this thread.

Reminder: Orlhair had a 3048gr strip session with Dr. Ron Shapiro a 1 1/2 yrs ago. One of his main concerns prior to strip surgery was the donor scar. He ended up with nearly undetectable strip scar when shaves to a #3 guard.

We wondered if he'd be able to notice the scar at #2 guard. Seeing the scar in person at #2 guard, you could make it out slightly if you're looking for it. You can easily pass it off as hat hair. The flash from the camera at #2 guard makes the scar stand out more than it appears in person. We shaved his head with #2 guard all over in preparation for his FUE procedure. Then shaved the back to #1 guard and #1/2 guard to take pics.

I'll post some pics from his FUE procedure shortly.

For now, I thought the 17 pics were sufficient to show his result from his strip surgery.

Slide1-27.jpg

Slide2-20.jpg

Slide3-16.jpg

Slide4-15.jpg

Slide5-14.jpg

Slide6-11.jpg

Slide7-8.jpg

Slide8-7.jpg

Slide9-6.jpg

Slide10-6.jpg

Slide11-5.jpg

Slide12-6.jpg

Slide13-3.jpg

Slide14-3.jpg

Slide15-3.jpg

Slide16-2.jpg

Slide17-2.jpg

Thanks for posting Janna. Keeping everything on this thread makes sense. I will use it for all of my updates. I made it home fine before the frigid weather set in! Doing well. Hair is already starting to grow back from the military shave :) Thanks again to you and everyone at SMG.....I couldn't be happier.

Your scar looks very fine, I understand why you didn't want to risk it with FUT again. Hope you are feeling good Orhlair and good luck in the coming months with your growth.

The only pic missing from this sequence is the back or donor view with the #3 guard. I look forward to seeing your post op pics.

Congrats!