Insurance isn't the Problem....

Hi all,

This is my first post, so I want to say that the information I have read on here as a visitor has been invaluable. First let me say I am a transsexual. Yes, I said it. I admit it. I was born a boy, and now, looking at my profile picture, I am a female. At least that's what my license and birth certificate say. The transition was easy, with all my friends adn family accepting me as who I am, and loving me for the courage and bravery it takes to make this transition. Being young, I have good skin and feminine features, so passing as a female was never in question. However, my hair: Different story.

I work for a large company who has amazing health insurance coverage for people like myself. Not only do they cover all of the things that you would normally relate to this (plastic surgery to make the girl parts out of my boy parts, breast augmentation and facial surgery) but also things like hair transplants due to the need for hair to pass as a female in society. I already had one procedure done with Bosely (yes, I know, I'm an idiot), and it came out horribly so I am looking for another doctor but I cannot find one doctor who will work with my insurance. Since I have an HMO, the doctor will be paid their entire fee, not just reasonable and customary, due to my insurance stipulations, but none will even offer to work with me.

My question is, how do I get a doctor to work with me, and perhaps some one might know of a surgeon who might be compassionate enough to work with me? I am in Philadelphia, but so far, I am completely at a loss here as to how to find a competent physician who will say "yes, I can help you."

Now what do you mean that "none will even offer to work with me?" No Doc will accept a payment from your insurance company? I find that hard to believe. Why would they care who pays your bill? Does your insurance pay after the fact? Even if they do, all the clinic needs to do is get confirmation that they will pay and proceed with your surgery. Or are you saying they are treating you differently because being a transsexual is making them act weird? Again I can't see any reputable Doc really caring one way or the other, after all they are in business not only to help people but to make money as well.

Not sure I understand your dilemma...

Now what do you mean that "none will even offer to work with me?" No Doc will accept a payment from your insurance company? I find that hard to believe. Why would they care who pays your bill? Does your insurance pay after the fact? Even if they do, all the clinic needs to do is get confirmation that they will pay and proceed with your surgery. Or are you saying they are treating you differently because being a transsexual is making them act weird? Again I can't see any reputable Doc really caring one way or the other, after all they are in business not only to help people but to make money as well.

Not sure I understand your dilemma...

Let me act out my most recent call from a nurse, from one of the doctors talked about on this site itself!

Scene 1

Me: Hi, I am calling in reference to [insert doctor here] and his hair transplant procedures. I am wondering if the doctor would be willing to work with my insurance company, as they do cover this procedure in full and will pay the doctor's fees, not the R&C, so you really don.....

*interupting*

Indifferent Nurse: [Random Doctors Name] does not accept payment from any insurance carriers. You would need to pay up front and then submit to your insurance company for reimbursement.

Me: Lemme get this straight...so if I am quoted $12,000, you do the procedure, I submit to the insurance company, and you get paid 30-some days later, thats not good enough because you want the money up front?

Indifferent Nurse: Yes. I'm sorry we can't help you...

Me: But I can provide letters guaranteeing payment, so if you will just....

Indifferent Nurse: Sorry, we don't want to deal with it...

*click*

Fin

So you see, the doctors out there are not out there to help patients, but to make money. They want their money up front too, because my thought is, if they screw up and your hair is destroyed, they already have your money and you cant withhold. It all comes down to getting that money in hand. My transsexual past has NOTHING to do with it, except to explain why my hair loss pattern fits most male patterns and not a normal female pattern.

Hi Erica,

While I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulty with your hair restoration, I wanted to discuss a few issues with the insurance situation and explain why it's not as simple as it appears.

First, in order for a physician in private practice to accept any sort of HMO or PPO insurance (especially PPO), he/she must basically apply to the company and be included within their managed care network. The physician can accept out of network insurance, but it greatly increases the chances of not being paid or being reimbursed at a decreased rate.

Furthermore, if the insurance company is a smaller or specific type of provider (which seems like the case here), it also increases the likelihood of a reimbursement mishap. Additionally, some insurances won't want to reimburse for a procedure performed by a non board-certified/board-eligible doctor, and since the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS) is not an ABMS acknowledged board, the physician might not be able to receive payment.

Second, there are a lot of technicalities and potential pitfalls when physicians attempt to take cash payment for some procedures and insurance reimbursement for others. If a hair transplant surgeon accepts cash for 99% of their restoration procedures and then tries to bill insurance for your case, it's likely that the company could use this as a reason not to reimburse OR cause to even report some sort of insurance fraud. The only way physicians can really get around this issue (in most cases) is to explain to patients that while they don't accept insurance, patients are more than welcome to pay for the service in cash and send claims to the insurance company for personal reimbursement. From what you've explained, this is what the clinics are explaining and if the insurance company is compassionate toward the reason for these procedures, they may reimburse you well.

Having said all this, I want you to know what I do really understand your frustration and would like to help. I understand the courage it takes to actively undergo gender reassignment/transformation, and I truly admire transgender individuals who proudly undertake this journey.

I think at this point, you likely have several options: 1., you could try to investigate the personal reimbursement situation from the insurance company. I think it may be helpful to call the insurance company and discuss this option; 2., you could continue consulting with hair restoration physicians (I'd review our recommended hair transplant surgeons) and try to find a physician who understands the situation and is willing to work with some sort of payment plan; 3., you could continue researching and saving for a bit longer and undergo traditional hair restoration at a later date.

Again, I do apologize for the trouble you're having, and I would like to help. If there is anything I can do (answer additional questions, help research physicians, etc) please feel free to respond in this thread or send me a private message. Although there are a variety of individuals (in all specialties) who are in medicine "for the money," I've met a lot of hair transplant physicians who are compassionate and legitimately care about their work and patient care, and I hope this experience hasn't cast a dark shadow over the entire hair restoration field in your mind.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Let me act out my most recent call from a nurse, from one of the doctors talked about on this site itself!

Scene 1

Me: Hi, I am calling in reference to [insert doctor here] and his hair transplant procedures. I am wondering if the doctor would be willing to work with my insurance company, as they do cover this procedure in full and will pay the doctor's fees, not the R&C, so you really don.....

*interupting*

Indifferent Nurse: [Random Doctors Name] does not accept payment from any insurance carriers. You would need to pay up front and then submit to your insurance company for reimbursement.

Me: Lemme get this straight...so if I am quoted $12,000, you do the procedure, I submit to the insurance company, and you get paid 30-some days later, thats not good enough because you want the money up front?

Indifferent Nurse: Yes. I'm sorry we can't help you...

Me: But I can provide letters guaranteeing payment, so if you will just....

Indifferent Nurse: Sorry, we don't want to deal with it...

*click*

Fin

So you see, the doctors out there are not out there to help patients, but to make money. They want their money up front too, because my thought is, if they screw up and your hair is destroyed, they already have your money and you cant withhold. It all comes down to getting that money in hand. My transsexual past has NOTHING to do with it, except to explain why my hair loss pattern fits most male patterns and not a normal female pattern.

Ok I understand now. I was in a similar situation when i was 19 and needed sinus surgery from a top doctor in NYC (Lennox Hill Hospital) and he demanded payment up front also. At the time I thought it was very strange and ended up borrowing the money from an older sister for 30 days or so until I was reimbursed by the insurance company. What a hassle...

I seem to remember coming across a few procedures showcased on either this site or one of the others like The Bald Truth, etc... that featured surgery done to transform a male pattern to a female pattern hairline. They have been done before. If you can't get a short term loan to cover the cost upfront I bet you can find a Doc that would agree to do it for you through the usual insurance reimbursement route. If you can pick a Doc that doesn't have to be in your company's network then it shouldn't be that difficult to work something out.

Good luck with it!

Erica,

Welcome to our community. No offense, but why should hair transplant surgeons accept your insurance when the rest of the bald community has to pay for hair restoration surgery out of their own pocket? Regardless of your circumstances, hair transplantation (and all cosmetic procedures) are elective and by default, the average person isn't covered by their insurance company. However, it seems that they do make exceptions, as in your case.

To be honest however, I don't feel that you or anyone deserves special treatment. Either insurance companies cover and pay for everyone's elective procedure or for nobody's at all. Why should anyone receive special treatment?

That said, if your insurance company is truly willing to pay for your procedure (even though I don't agree with it since they won't cover everybody for elective procedures), I assume they'd be willing to reimburse you. Thus, you could consider using your credit card, pulling out a loan, etc. to pay for the procedure and then pay the loan off in 30 days when the insurance company sends you the reimbursement money. Even if you have to pay a little bit of interest, your getting a $10,000 plus elective surgery for a few dollars. I really don't understand the big deal here.

Best of luck,

Bill

Bill,

Here is why my insurance pays for the procedure for myself and not for some one like, say, you.

First some background. When you, or any other male looks in the mirror and sees your reflection, you might not like the person you see looking back at you, but you understand that you are a male, and are OK with that. When I look in the mirror, I have always and will always see a female. In my younger years, it was a little girl with long hair and a pony tail. But as I hit puberty I started becoming increasing uncomfortable with the image staring back at me. While most men welcome the growth of body hair, I abhorred it. When my voice dropped, I wasn't happy about being a man, I was horrified that I was stuck sounding like I did. And when I started losing my hair, it took part of my soul with it. I lived like this from nearly 20 years, until I decided that it was either transition or kill myself.

Now, let me get into the statistics: The national average for attempted suicide for the population as a whole is 0.6% compared to 41% for the transgender community. This is due to our feelings of hopelessness and never being able to "fit in" in society as the gender we feel inside. Also, 70% of the murders against the LGBT community are committed against the transgender population, mainly because those people don't "fit in" with society. Thus, by doing things like legally changing my name (done), my birth certificate (done), augmenting my body (scheduled) and changing my appearance (continuing), I can not only alleviate the mental stress and anguish that I have felt for 30 years, which has true medical side effects (ulcers, weight gain, heart issues, migraines), but also help avoid the discrimination, depression and violence that normally follows members of the transgender community.

So my wanting my insurance company to cover my procedure for my hair (which they do without reservation and do pay the doctors' fees at 100% of their billed rate) is not so much about making me look better on Aetna's part, but preventing potential side effects of the gender dysphoria. Paying out $12,000 for a procedure that will save them multiple times that in bills down the line is worth it to them.

As for my reasoning for wanting doctors to accept my insurance? Well, they are doctors first, business people second. A Doctor's mantra is "do no harm," and by rejecting my treatment, on a basis of insurance coverage, they are doing more harm than they are good, simply because the money isn't in their hands upfront. So what I am asking for is not special treatment, but rather, doctors to be doctors first, and understand that some procedures that many consider to be cosmetic can by medically necessary in certain cases.

I hope this elucidated the problems that us Transgender folk go through every day, and has helped you to understand some of the problems we go through, simply to look like any other female.

A few comments on your reply, Blake. They are well thought out arguments and I do appreciate them...

First, in order for a physician in private practice to accept any sort of HMO or PPO insurance (especially PPO), he/she must basically apply to the company and be included within their managed care network. The physician can accept out of network insurance, but it greatly increases the chances of not being paid or being reimbursed at a decreased rate.

I currently have an HMO. In my plan, when there are no in-network doctors to facilitate the treatment, I am authorized to apply for a Non-participating provider request, which essentially will make them in-network to me, but not subject them to accepting "reasonable & customary" payments, which are usually far less than the billed rate. A Non-participating provider is paid at the billed rate. Thus, if the doctor charges $10,000 for a per-certified procedure, they are paid $10,000

Furthermore, if the insurance company is a smaller or specific type of provider (which seems like the case here), it also increases the likelihood of a reimbursement mishap. Additionally, some insurances won't want to reimburse for a procedure performed by a non board-certified/board-eligible doctor, and since the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS) is not an ABMS acknowledged board, the physician might not be able to receive payment.

Actually, I currently have Aetna, one of the largest and most respected insurance companies in the country. My company (A large, multi-national pharmaceutical and consumer product conglomerate) is self-insured, and uses the insurance company only to manage the accounts. Thus, when our Global benefits office and I worked together to create guidelines for surgical procedures for transsexual employees, all the procedures, including hair transplants, were approved at the corporate level.

Second, there are a lot of technicalities and potential pitfalls when physicians attempt to take cash payment for some procedures and insurance reimbursement for others. If a hair transplant surgeon accepts cash for 99% of their restoration procedures and then tries to bill insurance for your case, it's likely that the company could use this as a reason not to reimburse OR cause to even report some sort of insurance fraud. The only way physicians can really get around this issue (in most cases) is to explain to patients that while they don't accept insurance, patients are more than welcome to pay for the service in cash and send claims to the insurance company for personal reimbursement. From what you've explained, this is what the clinics are explaining and if the insurance company is compassionate toward the reason for these procedures, they may reimburse you well.

I have already had one procedure, where 2251 follicles were transplanted into the crown and forehead region, and was charged just under $11,000 for the procedure. The procedure was pre-certified, as was the doctor, and I received a check for the procedure roughly 30 days following the procedure for the entire amount, minus my $50 co-pay. Originally they were going to assign the payment to the doctor, but I corrected them, so my insurance company has no problem paying my providers directly.

Again, I do apologize for the trouble you're having, and I would like to help. If there is anything I can do (answer additional questions, help research physicians, etc) please feel free to respond in this thread or send me a private message. Although there are a variety of individuals (in all specialties) who are in medicine "for the money," I've met a lot of hair transplant physicians who are compassionate and legitimately care about their work and patient care, and I hope this experience hasn't cast a dark shadow over the entire hair restoration field in your mind.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

The only thing I would appreciate help on is finding a doctor who would take the time to listen to my situation, meet with me to discuss my options, and have an open mind to work with me in my unique medical/insurance situation. Again, thank you for your reply!

Erica,

It's not that I don't sympathize with what you and other transgenders are going through emotionally. And while statistically, the average suicide rate may be higher in the transgender community, I have talked to a number of suicidal males and female on this community over the last several years. And guess what? Their insurance companies still won't cover an elective procedure. Those who are experiencing extreme depression and/or suicidal tendies (regardless of the reasons for their feelings) are advised to seek counseling and psychological treatment. Cosmetic procedures may help alleviate some of these feelings, but are not necessarily a permanent solution.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer it if insurance cover elective procedures for men and women who are genuinely suffering emotionally from hair loss. But this is simply not the case.

Thus, at the end of the day, you are still electing to undergo several cosmetic procedures in order to make the transition from male to female. While your feelings may not be a choice, your election to undergo a male to female transformation and all the surgical procedures that go along with it is.

I suppose I've never been big on special privileges and have little sympathy for someone expecting insurance to cover a procedure that is otherwise paid for out of pocket by the vast majority of the world...including many who experience extreme depression and suicidal thoughts on a regular basis as a result of their hair loss.

You claim you aren't asking for special treatment. But you are. Every other hair transplant patient must find a way to pay for the procedure upfront. You're asking doctors to make an exception for you. That said, if you were posting to advocate for the rights of depressed and suicidal patients as a whole to be covered under insurance for cosmetic procedures, that I could potentially show support for.

If you can find a doctor who is willing to take delayed payment, than that's great. But let's not pretend your not asking for doctors to make an exception for you.

Best wishes,

Bill

Also, I do not see a hair transplant as "medically necessary" - at least, it's not any more medically necessary for you than anyone else who is not transgender. Even if we remove the "choice" factor in that you've chosen to undergo elective cosmetic procedures to make the transition from male to female, hair transplantation is not the only form of hair treatment. Unlike a single procedure like breast augmentation that will result in providing you with new breasts - alopecia wigs, hair replacement systems, topical concealers and non-surgical treatments are available for your hair needs.

For the record, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. But the primary purpose of your post is to obtain an elective procedure for free that hundreds of thousands of depressed men and women with suicidal thoughts have to pay for out of their own pockets while criticizing doctors of being all about the money all because you don't want to wait the 30 days for your own insurance company to reimburse you. If you don't want to wait for your own insurance company, why should the doctors and their staff who get paid for a living have to wait?

Bill

Actually, the purpose of my post was to obtain help in finding a physician who might be able to help me. Obviously, people here have no interest in helping me to find a physician, but are more inclined to give me a hard time about having the insurance coverage that many men (and women) on this site crave.

So let's stick to the facts:

1. My insurance does cover hair transplants because my company has deemed them a medically necessary, transition related procedure.
  2. They do pay 100% of the physicians billed rate if they are not an in-network provider.
  3. I have already had one procedure done, and it was paid in full.
  4. I am seeking help finding a physician who will work with me regarding accepting my insurance.
  5. If one exists, I would like to speak with them. Otherwise, I will find other avenues.

So yes, I am really damn lucky to have this medical coverage. I understand it. I get it. I am making some people very jealous. And yes, in this case, that is special treatment. But you know what, I would trade my insurance coverage and all the hair on my head to feel an ounce as normal as any man or woman on this site, so does anyone want to trade circumstances? I thought not...

I guess I thought that the goal of this site is to help people with their hair restoration needs, but thus far, I feel like I am getting anything but...

Erica,

There are dozens of hair transplant surgeons recommended by this community that could help you get the ultra refined results you're seeking. However, you are essentially asking for a physician and their staff to work on you without getting paid for 30 days with only a promise that your insurance company will pay them in due time.

There are perhaps a few surgeons who may be willing to help you. Unfortunately however, I don't know any off-hand. Thus, I suggest that if you're not willing to wait to get reimbursed by your own insurance company that you begin contacting physicians you are interested in to see if they're willing to take delayed payment.

Best wishes,

Bill

Erica,

Thanks for the reply.

Clearly, this is a complicated issue, but I would still like to do my best to push this all aside and help.

Frankly, I still think your best option is to take out a loan or put the procedure on a credit card and attempt to get the company to reimburse you directly. It seems like they accidentally did this with the first procedure (before you had the payment redirected to the hair transplant surgeon), and I'm thinking the surgeon agreed to do the procedure because he worked for a very large, financially backed corporation (Bosley/Aderans) and not a much smaller, private medical entity.

Having said that, I would personally explore this avenue and understand that it essentially gives you the option of seeking surgery with any hair transplant surgeon, and not just doctors who would agree to the insurance agreement. Furthermore, you may want to research surgeons with a specific background in male-to-female transgender hair restoration (I'd start by searching the forums and finding physicians who have posted transgender restoration results in the past).

However, if you still don't want to take this route and believe you should be able to find a surgeon to perform the procedure upfront, I would simply start researching and calling more surgeons. Again, I would highly recommend any of our hair transplant surgeons (if they are willing).

Finally, like Bill stated, I did want to clarify one point: if a physician does turn down your unique situation, please don't take it as an indication that they only care about money or put finance above patient care. As previously stated, these physicians have to pay rent, salaries, several types of insurance, college tuition, mortgages, put food on their family tables, and still work on paying off gigantic, ever-growing medical school loans. They've chosen a career of service, but they aren't monks and they can't work for free.

Again, I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Agree with Bill 100% here. Erica, I'm not trying to be rude but why not just look into a really good wig or hair system? You're probably never going to achieve a good head of hair suitable for a female through hair transplants. I think it's much more accepted and easier to conceal a good wig for a female than it is for a male.

But you know what, I would trade my insurance coverage and all the hair on my head to feel an ounce as normal as any man or woman on this site, so does anyone want to trade circumstances? I thought not...

I feel compelled to address this statement...

Men and women suffering from hair loss who are visiting this site do not feel 100% normal. Otherwise, they would not be here. Hair loss has affected us all in some way and we're here because we want to do something about it in order to feel better about ourselves.

I can't imagine the kind of emotional and psychological issues you have faced and are facing as a result of gender identity related issues. And while I certainly wouldn't want to trade with you as you suggested, I don't think you truly appreciate the heartache and pain some here face with their own hair loss battles on a daily basis.

The long and the short of it is that instead of counting your blessings that you're able to get your hair transplant (not to mention all of your other cosmetic procedures) for free (a privilege for one in a thousand cases), your posts on this topic show an attitude of accusation and expectation that you arguably don't deserve in the first place. I'm sorry, but I have little sympathy for you given your approach to this topic.

Agree with Bill 100% here. Erica, I'm not trying to be rude but why not just look into a really good wig or hair system? You're probably never going to achieve a good head of hair suitable for a female through hair transplants. I think it's much more accepted and easier to conceal a good wig for a female than it is for a male.

Honestly, I'm a single, straight female. I'm a 32 year old straight female. Now, how many 32 year old, straight, single women do you know who have to rely on wigs to have an resemblance of normalcy, and of those people, how many have found good, understanding men who aren't embarrassed that their girlfriend's heads have less hair than theirs.

Its a self esteem thing.

Erica-

I think it's safe to say we are ALL here because, well...... "it's a self esteem issue"!!! Even if it doesn't seem it to you.....the members of this forum are here to help and provide support!!

Sorry to hear of your issues with finding a clinic to hear you out on a pre-authorized payment from your insurance company. I can imagine that is frustrating.

I would have to agree with the others who have already mentioned that it would be best to pay and get reimbursed. I can see how you might be reluctant in doing so if there was a question on whether or not you'd be reimbursed, but since you know that your insurance company has your back, it's a no-brainer!!! At the very least you're temporarily inconvenienced with having to front the money to the clinic. Most of us would kill to have our very expensive restorations even partially covered by the insurance companies!!

Ultimately, you have to live with the result of your transplant.....and if it were me, I'd rather be out the money initially and choose the restoration surgeon I wanted to go with right away.....than having limited options because you're holding out to (hopefully) find a doctor that will do the work and bill your insurance company directly!! Too much of a gamble, and it will ulitmately impact the size of the pool of surgeons you'll have to choose from.

Just my .02.......

Best of luck to you! :D

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Taking the high road. I apologize if I offended anyone by my statements or came off accusatory or with higher expectations. I am new here and should have felt out the water before jumping in.

Thank you all who replied with tact and understanding for your responses [Future_HT_Doc, StaggerLee123]. I will try to find doctors in my area and contact them, and perhaps I will get lucky and find one willing to work with me and my insurance.

To the others, I want to thank you as well. I took my insurance coverage for granted and while I am thankful every day when I take my big handful of pills that I have my coverage, I sometimes forget how blessed I am to work for a company as progressive and understanding as mine. Some people pay 10's of thousands of dollars for hair restoration. I am paying 10's of dollars. I shouldn't complain, and I won't.

Thank you all, and perhaps on my next post, we can ALL be a little more civil.

I have already had one procedure done, and it was paid in full.

Just curious....why are you looking for a new doctor?

Were your results disappointing?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Just curious....why are you looking for a new doctor?

Were your results disappointing?

Very. I had the procedure on 02 February 2012, and had 2251 follicles done. After a month, it looked far worse than before it was done. I was told this is normal. At 6 months, still looks like nothing. I am sitting at nearly 10 months post-op and the area's where the follicles were transplanted still looks worse not than it did prior to the procedure. However, at my 8 month check up, he proceeded to tell me "Oh, well, it looks like quite a bit of hair was shock-lost in the procedure, and that could take another year to full grow back." *Facepalm*

Now I had quite substantial hair loss, especially in the crown area, so I may have to have another 1-2 procedures to fill in that area and also re-sculpt my hairline in front after facial surgery. This is why I am looking at other places, because obviously Bosely is a FAIL.

Erica-

Do you have any photos of your hair in your current state? Also, have you had another consultation to see how much donor you have left for future procedures? Do you know how many grafts you're aiming for on your next restoration....or roughly how many you think you will need to achieve your desired outcome? Just curious? :)

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

So yeah, this is me, without the wig. And to give you all an update, I may have found a surgeon in the Hair Restoration Network that may be willing to work with me on my insurance. I will keep everyone posted though. One thing I told the surgeon's office when I was contacted by them is this. As of last year, 180-something companies covered Transgender employees with their unique medical needs. This year (2013), that number is doubling. As companies start paying for things like hair transplants for transgender employees, more and more doctors should be come aware that this is simply another means to make an income.

So this next procedure, I will be working on my hairline and the crown (unseen( but my previous surgeon said my density in the donor area was so high, he could see at least two more procedures being possible.

487307_264276310355335_1646027509_n.jpg

This post bothers me. I find it hard to believe that your insurance company covers this and I find it disappointing actually. What about your sitiuation makes you deserve special treatment, which is what it sounds like? Imagine if every person had a reason to want/need elective surgery? Well guess what, many people do and have extenuating circumstances. (For instance I have an actual disease that causes scalp disfigurement.) You are no more special than any man or woman on this board. I am all for equality for sex, race, gener, creed, etc. Part of that equality is pulling the same weight that everyone else is expected to pull.

My advice, and I assure you that it is good advice, is to find the BEST doctor for your surgical needs and have your surgery done. Put it on a credit card until you get reimbursed. At least you don't have to actually pay it back liked the rest of us.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

It appears that not only have you receded in the hairline but the sides as well. I don't know for certain, but I have a hard time expecting that any number of hair transplant procedures will give you a "normal" feminine looking head of hair. Firstly, your hairline would most likely need to be placed much lower than an average male patient. This will consequently diminish the density available behind the hairline greatly. Then what about your hairline corners, temples, crown? HT's will never be as dense as a good wig. I wouldn't even bother with another transplant if I were you - you'll just be disappointed. But maybe the risk for you isn't so high since you won't be paying for it like the rest of us chumps. Imagine that disappointing Bosley procedure coming out of your own pocket. That's reality for the rest of us.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I don't like some of the replies to this thread.

There isn't anyone here, including the original poster, who could have gone through a WORSE time with hairloss than me. It's been horrible. HOWEVER - that doesn't give me a right to be on a high horse saying why Erica shouldn't be entitled to a free HT from insurance if I can't be covered too.

The fact is - the insurance WILL cover it. So, why not try and help and give some advice with moving forward rather than crying the blues about any special treatment? Take it up with her/your insurance company, not the fellow hair loss sufferer who is trying to rectify it.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon