Disaster with Dr.Madhu

dugman

Hi,

It has been 1 year and the results after the transplant has been really frustrating. I am no where close to even 'average'. Frustrated with my monthly progress, I thought I would only post after a year thinking that some hair will grow, however only disaster awiated me.

Please see the pictures for yourself. I am totally in a hopeless situation now. Please help me out!

Hair Restoration Journal for dugman - 1 year - Total Disaster

Thanks,

Dug

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post-op have you been taking meds like propecia and Minox on a daily basis?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Take propecia for only 30 days?

With your pattern of loss I would think you should be on both meds

every day from now on...if you tolerate them well (and most patients do).

I agree your results look rather poor, but I wonder if you have just been losing more and more

hair due to the fact you are not on meds on a permanent basis and the DHT is able to continue

destroying your non-transplanted hair?

What does your doctor say now that it has been a year?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Losing my non transplanted hair on the crown of my head was not much of a disappointment to me. One of the reasons I wanted a HT was to minimize the consumption or attachment to medicines. My requirement and expectation was only focused on the frontal region as far where I had around 2700 grafts transplanted to.

I was even told that the few hair I had before transplant on the front will eventually be lost and that they are taking that into consideration and thus performing a dense transplant only in the frontal portion. Dr.Madhu told me that he can cover only 1/3 rd of the front which I agreed and thought was fair. But the results were catastrophic

I have not yet spoken/consulted to them yet. Wanted to wait for a year atleast before approaching them as they have advised that in their post op manual. I have sent an email to them regarding this only today requesting an appointment or a call back. I hope I would get a reply from them.

Sorry for your result. I am not happy that these results come from a coalition member but I guess they never bat 100%. It's unfortunate that after all that money you have no results. My worst nightmare. Good luck with sort it out. If

dugman,

I'm very sorry to hear that your hair transplant result did not meet your expectations. While progressive balding does need to be taken into consideration for patients that are not medically stabilizing their hair loss, It does appear from your lack of a defined hairline that something went wrong.

As you probably already know, there are many factors that come into play in hair restoration surgery and sometimes, even in the most skilled hands, results do not meet expectations. I know this from personal experience as my first procedure was not entirely successful.

However, I can assure you that, as a recommended physician, Dr. Madhu is highly skilled and has a long track record of delivering quality results and patient care. I also know that he is dedicated to helping his patients achieve the hair restoration goals they desire and will do everything possible to help.

Nothing can bring back lost grafts but, you can certainly recover from this setback as I did by contacting Dr. Madhu and discussing your concerns.

I also plan to make Dr. Madhu aware of your post and encourage him to comment on this thread and also contact your privately.

My hope is that you will ultimately get the head of hair that you want and deserve.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Sorry for your result. I am not happy that these results come from a coalition member but I guess they never bat 100%. It's unfortunate that after all that money you have no results. My worst nightmare. Good luck with sort it out. If

jimmy,

Just to clarify, Dr. Madhu is an excellent surgeon and is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network but he is not a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians. To learn about our criteria for recommending physicians, click here.

You will find Coalition membership standards here.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

David,

Thanks for your reply and helping in reaching out to Dr.Madhu. I am eagerly awaiting his reply.

However I do not quite get what you mean by 'lack of defined hairline'. Because Dr.Madhu gave me a hairline which I thought was correct and the same can be seen here in my blog.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=8262&WebID=2369

The plan was to cover the 1/3rd of the frontal region and Dr.Madhu said that he would require 7000 grafts to cover the entire head which I thought would only be possible with multiple transplants.

And he gave a practical hairline as well. The only nightmarish part is the result :(

Thanks,

Dug

Firstly this is not a disaster a disaster is where you have a poor result and significant scar or nerve damage.

Having said that it's hard to tell if your new ht hair has grown or not due to the fact you stopped meds it's a likely possibility you traded your wealth of native hair for new ht hairs which would appear as if the ht hair hadn't grown its impossible to tell that's why it's common sense to stay on finasteride for a year post op due to native hair shock during surgery staying on meds for a year would allow you to see your result then if you desire to quit you can and then see what happens.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I think you have good reason to be disappointed! You have spent a lot of time and money on something and should have gotten a much better result!!! I think your expectations would have been reasonable and you would expect a significant cosmetic improvement! I'm surprised when people say you've probably lost more native hair so that's the reason,of course you can loose hair through mob and shock loss but looking at your immediate post op photos your frontal region should if all new grafts had grown you should have been relatively dense in the front zones!! No one would have a ht if they were told they would gain 3000 hairs but by the time they've grown you will of lost another 3000 so you won't look much different!! Some people post there dissatisfaction and they have had a real positive change just not quite what maybe they had hoped for,you I believe are not one of these people! I think your concerns are justified and I hope you are given whatever is needed to get to where you should be by the dr!!! I really hope it all works out for you!!

i agree with bonker in that it is not a totally disaster as you havent mentioned any nerve damage or constant pain , so i assume there isnt any which is good. i also agree with hairshopeing in that 2700 grafts in the frontal region should have produced a more defined hairline and certainly more density. do you know what denisty was used in the hairline? it certainly seems less than 50graft/sq.cm which would probably be the minimum required to achieve a decent density in the hairline. it is true that subpar results do happen even from the best surgeons. what makes the real difference is how the surgeon handles a bad results. im hoping dr Madhu will support you and arrange to improve the results. it would also be good if dr madhu posted on this site explaining what went wrong.

However I do not quite get what you mean by 'lack of defined hairline'. Because Dr.Madhu gave me a hairline which I thought was correct and the same can be seen here in my blog.

What I mean to say is that the hairline did not grow in as expected. You seem to have had enough grafts placed in the front that you should have seen a nicely defined hairline with reasonable density and it's just not filled in as it should have.

As others have stated, it's certainly not a disaster but I think that there should be more density in the transplanted region with or without meds since the front third appears to have been densely packed. But, let's wait to see what Dr. Madhu's take is.

I should say that I have had difficulty contacting Dr. Madhu in the past via email. He appears not to receive many of my communications so let's give him a little time to respond.

I think you have good reason to be disappointed! You have spent a lot of time and money on something and should have gotten a much better result!!! I think your expectations would have been reasonable and you would expect a significant cosmetic improvement! I'm surprised when people say you've probably lost more native hair so that's the reason,of course you can loose hair through mob and shock loss but looking at your immediate post op photos your frontal region should if all new grafts had grown you should have been relatively dense in the front zones!! No one would have a ht if they were told they would gain 3000 hairs but by the time they've grown you will of lost another 3000 so you won't look much different!! Some people post there dissatisfaction and they have had a real positive change just not quite what maybe they had hoped for,you I believe are not one of these people! I think your concerns are justified and I hope you are given whatever is needed to get to where you should be by the dr!!! I really hope it all works out for you!!

Clearly you are inexperienced in hair transplantation!

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

This is one of them hts where I wish I could say it was a failure or not but given the fore mentioned circumstances it's impossible to say for sure, by judgement of photos i have to admit looking at the op day photos I don't think wow that looks good it does leave me thinking something isn't quite right although I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I should say that I have had difficulty contacting Dr. Madhu in the past via email. He appears not to receive many of my communications so let's give him a little time to respond.

Sure David, will wait.

Clearly bonkerstonker only your opinion is the one that counts,or I your mind anyway!! Im glad yours worked out for you,as there are no guarantees that it would,as with everyone else! That said I'm sure if yours had gone the same way as dug mans you wouldn't be happy with your result and feel that it was a success!! If yours had ended up with little to no improvement tp your pre op condition I think you would also hope that your results were addressed by the dr who performed your procedure!! Also I do understand hair transplants and the risk that goes with them and hope results can differ from patient to patient,having spent lots and lots of time looking through results and different drs and there constancy I am in a position to give my opinion on these results,anyone,wether interested in hair transplants and their yield,shock loss,type of procedure can give an informed opinion on wether someone's hair has improved from what they had before,because ultimately it's the general publics and there own opinion on there hair that most people end up going down the road of a hair transplant for!! To feel better about themselves and have a improved cosmetic appearance!! Dug man s opinion on his results are what matter,not yours,not mine,but I happen to agree with him!! For that number of grafts you would expect a much better change,if he hadnt comented on it himself then I wouldn't have commented as he might of been happy and I wouldn't of wanted to put a negative spin on it for him,however he has,and I'm just assuring him that I think it could of/ should of been better!!! So as said,your fortunate that you had good results but i find your post condescending and suggest that before you think only people who have had one or multiple procedures can give an informed opinion you should remember how many people didn't take time to research and had one or multiple failed transplants before being happy with the results form a reputable dr!! So some learn from there mistakes and some try to avoid them mistakes in the first place!!! Dug man I really hope your dr stands by you, and from the research I have done on here that looks like it will happen as you chose well!!! I think any dr can have a good or bad result, but the difference is a good dr will do there best to make a bad one good!

Update:

I got a call from Dr.Madhu today and he said was sorry for me to see the results turn out this way. He said that this could have been due to external factors which can only be determined by having a personal inspection to assess what went wrong. It was good of him to respond to both my email and directly call to my cell phone and he assured me that he will help in anyways possible and that he is there which was very reassuring if you ask me.

From my part, I need to fly to his clinic to have a personal inspection. I am convinced that the donor grafts lost are lost and I probably have to get in touch with him to see on what to do further.

dugman, i am glad Dr Madhu will try to help you. it looks like you will have to travel (fly) to his clinic, which i think you need to make clear to him. and I would suggest you negotiate with him to reimburse your travel and accommodation costs. clearly you did not plan for this second trip and "have to" travel to fix the first HT. all the best and good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It makes my blood boil when these results happen and the doctor says that it is external factors that are to blame. I know from first hand experience that Dr Madhu didn't give me the results I was expecting as patches that were present before my hair transplant became more evident after my hair transplant and never grew 1 year after the transplant. When I addressed this with Dr Madhu I receive a call from him to tell me that I am an 'X factor' patient which means that hair transplant does not work on everyone and I happen to be one of those patients. Well I don't buy that story for I think it is a poor excuse on his part for doing a poor job. And the moderators of this site who stand by Dr Madhu beats the whole purpose of this site for anyone who complains about a doctor recommended here is always made to feel that the patient is in the wrong and the doctor is always right. Well one day I shall have a transplant with Dr Hasson or Dr Wong and then lets see whether I am as Dr Madhu puts it an 'x factor' patient or not.