propecia 3x per week?

bananas

I recently read an article by Dr. Cooley somewhere on this web site who stated that propecia could be taken every other day or 3x per week,(M,W,F), since one dose stays in your body for three days; therefore, one could theoretically get the same efficacy as taking the medication once per day. He also alluded to the fact that the drug company, Merk?, doesn't diclose this to the public because of the $ factor. However, when I brushed this by my ht surgeon he told me that it was nonsense and that taking the meds once per day was totally required in order to get any benefits. Do you suppose I read the article correctly, and why the discrepancy in opinions? Anyone?

I am taking Proscar 1.25mg every other day, so I will be interested in hearing the responses to your question. This was upon suggestion from Dr Limmer. I stopped taking Proscar about 7 months ago because of side effects, and just started back up.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

from what i understand finasteride has a short half life; thus, everyother day would not be as effective as taking it every day; however, you would still get benefits from everyother day; but everyday would give more benefit (benefit being lower DHT levels; if you have mild/less agrresive MPB then everyother day might suffice;

Of course, another option might be skipping one day a week. Skipping just a day (when slicing up 5mg tablets) would help prevent an excess of medication in the body (as levels even out when dosage is skipped) while ensuring there's a reasonably even supply of the drug present at all times. Also, no two people are alike: different tolerances, body-weights, internal chemistry, etc. Based on what I've read (on Web sites and in other fora), many people, on the advice of physicians, save their wallets by purchasing 5mg doses that are taken on non-daily schedules.

bananas,

I think the article you written by Dr. Jerry Cooley you are ferring to is "Taking Propecia for Hair Loss Every Other Day".

Dr. Cooley doesn't necessarily advise a particular dosage or frequency, but rather informs his patients of the facts of the drugs to help them make their own conclusion.

Personally, I take 1.25mg finasteride (via Proscar) daily for 4 days and skip the 5th day. I used to take Propecia 1mg daily before I switched. There has been no difference when I switched.

Best wishes,

Bill

Even though finasteride has a relatively quick half-life, its biological effects continue DHT suppression over the course of several days.

The 5-alpha enzyme regenerates slowly

Three days a week for me produced the same results then everyday when I compared blood tests.

I also eliminated all sides with this dosage

Granted I'm a relatively new propecia user.. but - I decided to take it 4 days week(S,M,W,F)and alternate between Propecia finasteride and generic fin. from Europe, due to cost ($68/mos vs. $30) and the fact I'm still cautious about the quality of the generic.

Originally posted by bananas:

However, when I brushed this by my ht surgeon he told me that it was nonsense and that taking the meds once per day was totally required in order to get any benefits. Do you suppose I read the article correctly, and why the discrepancy in opinions? Anyone?

I will say this; Dr. Cooley is a dermatologist and a graduate of a very prestigous medical school - with honors. I found him to be extremely caring and would trust him without question - just from my time with him in pre, post and during my procedure. A surgeon with a background in head and neck surgery, for example, wouldn't have the same experience with medicines for the skin and hair as a dermatologist - even though he/she might be the equivelant or better at transplants.

I'm not saying your guy might not be a better hair transplant surgeon, but Dr. Cooley's knowledge of drugs for hair would be difficult to match, imo.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Originally posted by Take a chance:

Dewayne I noticed you take proscar 3 times a week M W F. How is that working for you? I want to reduce my dosage because i've been having sides with proscar.

I actually take a 5 mg pill, cut it into 1/3 and take it 3x per week. So, it's actually 1.66 mg not 1.25 as I state in my sig.

But, I think it's working good to prevent future loss but I'm 42 so I would probably take more if I were younger.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

• 4 weeks later...

I used propecia every day back in 2000 for two years. It worked ok but I may have experienced side effects. It was hard to tell if it was the propecia or physiological. I think it may have been physiological since the first 18 months went without side effects and then I felt they started. All the data shows that side would typically start before the 6 month mark so I am fairly certain that it was physiological as they seemed to have started at 18 months. Nevertheless, I stopped taking it.

I want to get back to taking it as I am considering a HT and need to keep what I have. I do believe that taking propecia 3-4 days a week would be enough to provide comparable results to an everyday dose. Please grow please mentioned that by reducing his dosage to every other day, his side effects went away. Has anyone else experienced this?

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I am not saying a 3-4 times a week 1mg dose is optimal compared to a daily dose but relative to the fact that side effects may be avoided by taking it 3-4 times per week, it is better to take a modified dose then not at all.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

caveolae, the article clearly recognises that the halflife of finasteride is 5-8 hours, but makes arguments and cites references for its effects lasting longer. So, I am inclined to believe it, coming from a bright doctor.

------------------------------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Alexander

I think the problem here is that most people do not understand what 'half life' is, nor does the lay-person have any idea about drug pharmacodynamics or pharmacokinetics.

I agree that the drug will stay in your body for several days, however it will most likely be at a sub-clinical dose. I do not understand why anyone would not take propecia everyday , as indicated. Unless they have experienced side-effects.

• 1 month later...

Well I went to Cooley about 9 months ago. I was a month away from shaving or transplant. He and his assistant insisted I take propecia 3 times a week in 1mg tablets.

I did and I will bet my savings I have more hair than any of you calling it bs and I haven't even thought about a transplant since seeing them. They're time and 3 months of propecia was free by the way.

You guys spend your time playing doctor and I'll spend my time on the beach picking up college girls.

I do plan on taking 1 per day at some point just to see if I can grow more.

Thanks Dr. Cooley

Using it 3 times per week is perfectly fine. Half life has no bearing on its effectiveness. The regeneration of the AR2 enzyme takes much longer than the interval of finasteride dosing.

• 6 years later...