Going to Wedding 8wks post op - How do I disguise my HT?

I'm going to a wedding next week - I'll be 8 weeks post op a 4120 graft strip procedure.

My recipient area is still very red, I've got substantial shockloss on the right hand side of my head exposing the donor scar and my donor scar is still visible at the back of my head. I've shaved my sides down to a #2 to try and minimise the shockloss being so obvious but it's not really worked.

Has anyone got any advice, tips to cover the scar, redness, any good excuses when people ask questions etc?

I've bought some dermmatch but i've heard mixed reviews and I'm a bit reluctant to use it - certainly on the shockloss area as there isn't any hair left there to blend it in with.

Not going to the wedding isn't an option as it's a close family member.

Any advice would be really appreicated.

Not the answer you want but time is the answer. I used Toppik in large amounts to cover what I could. No one said anything but I question how obvious it was. Wish I had a better response.

Dermmatch and toppik should do the job. Give yourself a few days to experiment and try to cultivate a concealer technique before the day of the wedding. Then the day of the wedding just stay out of the bright lights and sunlight if you can. Avoid pictures too, they will come back to haunt you.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I'm going to a wedding next week - I'll be 8 weeks post op a 4120 graft strip procedure.

My recipient area is still very red, I've got substantial shockloss on the right hand side of my head exposing the donor scar and my donor scar is still visible at the back of my head. I've shaved my sides down to a #2 to try and minimise the shockloss being so obvious but it's not really worked.

Has anyone got any advice, tips to cover the scar, redness, any good excuses when people ask questions etc?

I've bought some dermmatch but i've heard mixed reviews and I'm a bit reluctant to use it - certainly on the shockloss area as there isn't any hair left there to blend it in with.

Not going to the wedding isn't an option as it's a close family member.

Any advice would be really appreicated.

Are you playing an active role in the wedding, where lots of photos will be required?

Redman I feel for ya and I've thought about the same thing in regard to my upcoming surgery in August.

I've already decided that for about 3-4 months post-op the only reason I will take a hat off in public is a close family member or a friend's funeral...and actually I may still leave the hat on even God-forbid in those cases.

If I were you I would go purchase a really nice fedora/dress type hat and tell everyone you had a medical procedure done and prefer to conceal the bandages. If it's in a church go see or call the preacher beforehand and explain you mean no disrespect but will be wearing a dress hat inside the church due to medical reasons. Of course if possible sit in the back. I know this way is not for everyone, but it's what I would do and it's what I will do if it becomes necessary.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I feel for ya too. I think if I had a procedure that big, I would just buck up and take it like a man, or just not go. That is an option too. Seems you are too young to have a child getting married, so short of that, make up and excuse. If you do that, on the positive side, the divorce rate is so high they probably won't hold it against u for too long. ;) that's a joke.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Christ. At 8 weeks out i thought you would have been able to hide the redness with make up concealer and the thin hair with a topical concealer at this stage.

From most of the post ops pics on here.. Most guys seems pretty undetectable at 3-4 weeks after some concealer use. Although Strip has the added complication of the scar.

Hit the concealers big time. Its probably just an element in your own head that you think it is really noticeable.

The reality is most people probably wont notice anything after some crafty concealer useage.

Actually i was told that all you need is 2 weeks if you go for FUE and 1 month if you go for FUT to hide all evidence that you have any work done.

but now im confused, so if you go for an OP you need more than 2 months off from work if you don't want anybody to know you had an HT ? is that the norm, or just exception in your case ?

Thanks every one for all the advice, it's appreciated.

I'm very pale skinned hence why my recipient area is still quite red. Plus I've been back on minoxidil which as it increases blood flow probably takes longer for the redness to disappear. My donor hair is also quite fine which is probably why my scar is still pretty noticeable.

I'll probably put some dermmatch in the hair around the scar a bit in the shockloss area...I can always say I have sunburn on my head, hence the redness - although that's not a great excuse given that the British 'summer' has been constant rain this year :rolleyes:

3 months (the ugly duckling stage) is the worst, everyone's redness is different, I tried to grow my existing hair asap and used msm to help. I think most people don't pay attn to your hair its just you, understand you may feel anxious.

Good luck

Bucks

At 8 weeks out i thought you would have been able to hide the redness with make up concealer and the thin hair with a topical concealer at this stage.

Actually, redness can last for months - mine lasted for about 7 months after my first procedure. The subsequent procedures were quicker in that regard.

8 weeks is worst part of the ugly duckling stage. You may want to take Spanker's advice and skip the wedding. Say you got food poisoning or something. But if you have to go you have to go.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

It seems every one has different healing times. You probably should check out a PRP treatment as ive read it can really help with healing.

Also be lashing on the Aleo vera healing topical lotion daily to get that redness down.,

I can tell you we would never even do a 4000 graft session. This is what creates problems that we see over and over again. Bad scarring, loss of grafts etc. The shock loss is due to the fight for nutrition and shock to existing hair from the trauma of all the grafting. Poor guy.

Thanks for your input HairGirl...just looking for advice on tips for attending a wedding not on the size of my procedure. But as you've mentioned the size of my procedure, I'd like to say, I've actually got no concerns about having a 4000 graft procedure, I went to Hasson and Wong, one of the best in the business, and they've done thousands of successful procedures of over 4000 grafts.

I can tell you we would never even do a 4000 graft session. This is what creates problems that we see over and over again. Bad scarring, loss of grafts etc. The shock loss is due to the fight for nutrition and shock to existing hair from the trauma of all the grafting. Poor guy.

I have seen lots and lots of great results from surgery sessions over 4000 grafts. In fact I had dinner with a patient that had 5300 grafts and he had outstanding results. Many of the top doctors do sessions of 4000 or more and regularly get excellent results. However if a clinic does not have a deep, highly skilled, experienced, full time, staff of technicians....then yes sessions of 4000 or more can be problematic.

Hair girl,

You should probably put in your signature block that you are a representative for Dr. Vogul.

This is part of the terms and conditions. I usually don't read them and am not a big "rule" guy, but for the interest of the users here and your clinic, it is a good idea.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Please see Hasson & Wong. Just because your clinic cannot do them doesn't mean they aren't possible.

Thanks Bobilero, I've been advised by my clinic to apply pure vitamin E to the recipient area and not Aloe Vera. Is Aloe Vera better at reducing the redness?

Yes Redman. Aloe vera and also Distilled witch hazel are touted as big healing agents. Should get them from Boots and Holland and Barrett.

Have a google of them and a read around.

Yes Redman. Aloe vera and also Distilled witch hazel are touted as big healing agents. Should get them from Boots and Holland and Barrett.

Have a google of them and a read around.

Thanks Bobilero - I got the pure aloe vera from Holland and Barrett.

Strangely within a few minutes of applying it to my head, my head has gone extremely red and started burning! The opposite of what it should do! Concerned I may have done permanent damage to the graft growth! I've attached a photo I took outdoors a few hours after applying the aloe vera.

Think I'm going to go with the Hat option for the wedding, especially as I've now shaved my head down to a #1 in an attempt to allow me to be a bit more aggressive whilst shampooing and get the remaining grafts to shed as advised by H&W as quite a few grafts are lying flat on my head. Look like Dermmatch is out of the question for the wedding now!

5b32d3ab6aee6_Wk7outside2.JPG.2b679516415acd4c21e5aad9e5887053.JPG

Now that is scary! Do you not grow your hair much longer than a no 2 or 3? I was led to believe that the redness subsides after a few days and scabs etc are gone after a week!

If your existing hair can be draped over the balding areas I thought it was not so easy to spot. Look at Jimmy Nesbitt appearing at a TV awards ceremony just a day or 2 after his HT and not a sign of the redness even in the public eye!

Joker28

I am not clear if you have just had the HT or are planning to but you pose the question I would be asking my surgeon if I was going to have my first HT. As I have not had one yet I cannot really give any proper advice but I guess you cannot use anything you would rub into the scalp less than 10 to 14 days after the HT, although hair fibres should be ok given they only cling to the hair strands. You have to have quite a bit of hair though for these to work properly otherwise you just see them sitting on the scalp.

My fear after a possible HT is that the scalp will still be inflamed and red for more than a week after it and then shock loss will cause existing hair to shed weeks later making it impossible to distract attention from my hair! If I have a HT I intend to stay off work for 2 weeks and lie low. You hear of patients going to work a day or 2 later without being noticed but they must not have been shaved and have little scabbing. To be certain ask your Doc if you can use concealers.

Personally I wouldn't use concealers for awhile. But I guess each case may be different. Like if you just get the front transplanted I suppose you could still use concealer on the crown. I may be using too much concealer and towards the end of the day before bed upon very close inspection the concealer can sometimes be just a tad "clumpy" in places and I would not think that would be good for newly transplanted follicles.