New study shows dramatic increase of hair adding LOW DOSE of Avodart to Finasteride

alix

a new recent study in Australia showed adding only 0,5 mg of Dutasteride a week to the normal Finasteride regiment can cause dramatic increase in hair growth:

Combination therapy with finasteride and low-dose dutasteride in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia - Boyapati - 2012 - Australasian Journal of Dermatology - Wiley Online Library

this was also mentioned in balding blog :

Case Study - Dutasteride Plus Finasteride Saw Dramatic Increase in Hair Growth - Balding Blog

Wow! Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I'm surprised just 0.5 mg. a week made that noticeable of a difference. I wonder what kind of improvement adding 0.5 daily would make?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I'm surprised just 0.5 mg. a week made that noticeable of a difference. I wonder what kind of improvement adding 0.5 daily would make?

Dutasteride has a very long half life comparing to Finasteride.

I've read about people taking low doses of Finasteride (1 MG every other day,or even 1mg twice a week) & still reporting improvement..so adding 1 Avodart pill a week (0.5mg) with much longer half life makes sense.

I think for majority of people Finasteride won't fully stop hairloss,it will reduce it,specially for long term users the positive effects might become weaker, adding just 1 Avodart pill a week sounds safer and of course much more affordable than taking it every day.

I'm thinking about following this regime and adding 1 Avodart a week to my normal daily 1MG finasteride regime myself to see what happens.still worry about the safety of it though.

apparently accessing to that full study report and pictures is not free & requires registeration and paying a $35 fee, but someone on baldingblog comments section payed the fee and here is his comment:

"The man was taking 1mg of Finasteride per day. You can purchase access to the study for $35 through the link in this posting. I did that and I must say that the picture demonstrating Dutesteride’s effect is quite remarkable. There is a picture of the mans crown prior to starting Finasteride 4 years ago. Then another picture 2 years into Finasteride therapy which shows some slight regrowth. Then another at 4 years which shows the effect of Finasteride had definitely waned as the crown appeared close to the original baseline picture. The last picture was taken 3 months into the use of 0.5mg of Dutasteride once per week combined with the 1mg of Finasteride per day. The regrowth far surpasses what Finasteride had done at the 2 year mark. It is definitely worth taking a look at the result as it is very impressive."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does anybody know a good website to buy this stuff at a good price? I will def give it a try!

Or do you need a prescription?

4rx is a very trustworthy site for ordering Finasteride and Dutasteride. It's probably the most common site I've seen mentioned on hair loss forums.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

4rx is a very trustworthy site for ordering Finasteride and Dutasteride. It's probably the most common site I've seen mentioned on hair loss forums.

thanks!

Did anybody have side effects on this? I have been on Fin for a year ( no side effects).

Are they similar? So I could expect not to have bad side effects?

• 2 months later...

I am also giving it a go, I started last week taking 1x 0.5mg of Dutasteride and will continue for 15 weeks once per week, I have been taking 1mg of finasteride a day since 2006 and am still doing the same.

I have taken a a few photos today and will do the same once the 15 weeks are up, although its only been 7 days I haven't noticed any noticeable side effects.

FUTURE DOC,

I am unable to read the full article.

Can you tell me whether it suggests taking "0.5 mg of Dutasteride a week" in a single dose once a week or does this mean breaking that amount over a weeks time?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Shampoo,

I don't have Wiley access for the full article either. This actually plagues me quite a bit with resources from their database. If you do some google searching, you can probably find it. The best thing I found came from Dr. Rassman (who reported on it as well):

The doctors added 0.5mg/week dutasteride to the treatment plan and there was a dramatic increase in hair growth.

However, I don't think this does much to answer your question. Again, you might be able to find a review online of someone who did read and reported on the entire article if you do some google searching. If I have some spare time later tonight, I'll do some research and see what comes up.

Wish I could be more helpful!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

without seeing the pictures, the term "dramatic increase in hair growth" gets me really excited! with nothing to lose except more hair, i think i will give this a try!

i am hesitant on buying dutasteride off of the internet though. has anyone had any luck getting it prescribed by their doctor for hair loss? when i asked mine (two years ago), she seemed offended i would even ask :/

• 1 month later...
I am also giving it a go, I started last week taking 1x 0.5mg of Dutasteride and will continue for 15 weeks once per week, I have been taking 1mg of finasteride a day since 2006 and am still doing the same.

I have taken a a few photos today and will do the same once the 15 weeks are up, although its only been 7 days I haven't noticed any noticeable side effects.

Hi Northwest,

It's been about 6 weeks - have you noticed any effects yet? Effectiveness, sides, et cetera? I am thinking of joining you in this experiment, while remaining on 1mg fin per day as well.

:) :)

Looking forward to seeing the photos and if you've noticed an improvement after the trial.......please keep us posted!

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

• 3 weeks later...
a new recent study in Australia showed adding only 0,5 mg of Dutasteride a week to the normal Finasteride regiment can cause dramatic increase in hair growth:

Combination therapy with finasteride and low-dose dutasteride in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia - Boyapati - 2012 - Australasian Journal of Dermatology - Wiley Online Library

this was also mentioned in balding blog :

Case Study - Dutasteride Plus Finasteride Saw Dramatic Increase in Hair Growth - Balding Blog

I'm wondering, did anyone actually buy and read the study?

The study begs a lot of questions, mainly:

-Did they include many before and after photos?

-Did the patient notice increased growth at the hairline, the crown, or all over his head?

-What was the length of time that the patient took dutasteride, before the improvement in hair was measured/discovered?

-Was he on / or did he add any other hair loss treatments at the same time as the dutasteride?

-Why did they only study one patient?? And are there any plans to study further? If the growth was THAT significant, I would hope/assume so.

It's a lot of questions, but they have to be asked. Without more info, for all we know, the patient also started 200mg of oral spiro and topical RU58841 at the same time as the dutasteride. I'm almost curious enough to buy the article, but I'm put off by the fact that they only studied one patient. If the results are this impressive, why not do another study with ten?

Ive been doing it for a while now...I really think its making an improvement...It also could be the fact Im 10 months post op but I like my results with the avodart once a week..

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Ive been doing it for a while now...I really think its making an improvement...It also could be the fact Im 10 months post op but I like my results with the avodart once a week..

Hey New Hair!

Did you notice any particular area of the scalp that it improved? I understand it works best on the crown and midscalp, which would be for me (and you also I believe) native hair areas.

Hey New Hair!

Did you notice any particular area of the scalp that it improved? I understand it works best on the crown and midscalp, which would be for me (and you also I believe) native hair areas.

Like I said sugar...it could be the meds, or it could be the remainder of the transplant coming in....but YES, Ive seen a considerable difference all over...the problem is I started this about 4 months after my surgery with Dr Rahal so its tough to tell...

My best guess is most of the results are from the transplant, BUT I have noticed I have pretty much zero shedding at anytime!!!:)

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website