Why Did You Choose to Get a Hair Transplant?

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Good article.

I did not want to be the "Bald guy" but I can totally live with being the guy who has lost "some hair". To many (Especially those under age 35), this may not seem like a huge distinction but as you get into your 40's and many more of your peers show thinning, it brings you more up to baseline with them and this some thinning is not as big a deal. In your 20's, the bar is set much higher and even some thinning can be quite significant to a man (As it was with me when I was in my 20's).

I also did not like the way it aged me and since my face was no longer framed, it made me look different. Framing the face is extremely important to keep looking like the "You" that you are used to seeing in the mirror.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Cant decide,

Well said! Also you make a great point about the advantages of a thinning look over a balding look as we age. My density could be better both in my transplanted front third and my untouched crown but I'm comfortable with the look at 43 (almost 44) years of age. Just happy to have my face framed again.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I chose a ht because i was sick of looking and feeling like a bell end lol it's that simple for me. Nice article.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I chose to get a HT because I wanted more hair. I wanted more hair because I didn't want to be confined to the same hairstyle (bald) the rest of my life. I also wanted more hair because let's face it, every little bit helps in this competitive age.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Moderators

The short version:

I was losing my hair by age 15. At first my mother thought I was pulling it out myself. As it progressed, she said I needed to go to a dermatologist because her brother (my uncle) had a skin/scalp disease when he was young that caused all of his hair to fall out. The "Dr." said I had an "excessive hairloss disease" that had already progressed pretty far and if I didn't do something about it as soon as possible, I would lose all of my hair and never have any chance of getting any of it back. I then went through 25 hair transplants in an attempt to cure my condition. The first 23 were done before I knew it was MPB and the person was not a Dr. The last 2 were done by someone else in an attempt to correct the mess and make me look a bit more normal, which didn't work very well.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
Did you say you had 25 HTs??Literally?

Yes. I'm pretty sure I hold the record by far. This was a long time ago. I had 25 HT sessions which included 5 scalp reductions done between 1989 and 1994. I averaged one HT surgery about every 2.5 months for about 5.5 years. It brought on some major depression. Not from the hairloss, but the constantly having surgery and always being in the shock loss, waiting for hair to grow, doldrums period. I was at the point where I kept getting sick and having anxiety attacks just thinking about the next surgery. I wanted to kill myself, but as I said, not because of the hair loss.

Any time I made a suggestion of what I wanted done or how I might want the hairline to look, etc, I was told I was an extreme case and they were the Dr.s and I was in danger of permanently losing all of my hair unless I did exactly what they said. They told me several times that I was crazy for suggesting how a Dr should perform surgery and that if they did what I wanted it would be my fault if it didn't turn out correctly.

Prior to the HTs I had been losing hair since mid teens and it was falling out in clumps as I got to around age 19. I had stinging pain all over my head even if I just touched my hair. It was painful just to comb my hair. At that time just running my hands through my hair would give me a handful of hair. The scalp reductions were supposed to cut out the affected area so it couldn't keep spreading.

I find it amazing that some people come here in their mid to late 20's with a bit of mild thinning and are panicking about what to do. I wish I had that "problem". I would have never even thought about having a HT if I was slowly thinning and aging normally.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Yes. I'm pretty sure I hold the record by far. This was a long time ago. I had 25 HT sessions which included 5 scalp reductions done between 1989 and 1994. I averaged one HT surgery about every 2.5 months for about 5.5 years. It brought on some major depression. Not from the hairloss, but the constantly having surgery and always being in the shock loss, waiting for hair to grow, doldrums period. I was at the point where I kept getting sick and having anxiety attacks just thinking about the next surgery. I wanted to kill myself, but as I said, not because of the hair loss.

Any time I made a suggestion of what I wanted done or how I might want the hairline to look, etc, I was told I was an extreme case and they were the Dr.s and I was in danger of permanently losing all of my hair unless I did exactly what they said. They told me several times that I was crazy for suggesting how a Dr should perform surgery and that if they did what I wanted it would be my fault if it didn't turn out correctly.

Prior to the HTs I had been losing hair since mid teens and it was falling out in clumps as I got to around age 19. I had stinging pain all over my head even if I just touched my hair. It was painful just to comb my hair. At that time just running my hands through my hair would give me a handful of hair. The scalp reductions were supposed to cut out the affected area so it couldn't keep spreading.

I find it amazing that some people come here in their mid to late 20's with a bit of mild thinning and are panicking about what to do. I wish I had that "problem". I would have never even thought about having a HT if I was slowly thinning and aging normally.

wow Im speachless, 25 surgeries..how did your donor keep up with all these surgeries, wouldnt it be depleted after 5 or 10 surgeries?How much $$$ have you blown

Do you look normal now, you would be nw6 i imagine..

I haven't undergone yet (consultation with Dr Feller next week) but I hope to undergo it because I gradually lost so much hair from 16 to 21 that my appearance, confidence and general happiness levels plummeted. Thankfully meds have resorted a LOT of my hair but I could do with a tiny bit of work on the crown and (self assessment based on other cases I've seen on here) around maybe 1600 grafts on the hairline to make me look similar to what I used to.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I always had thick hair and never imagined it would start to go. When I started losing, I was devastated, I felt that I was losing part of me.

The best thing about having a HT happened a few months ago: a guy a work asked, how at 42, I wasn't losing my hair. That comment made it all worth it.

25 surgeries!!?? :eek: I'm shocked... Those so-called doctors should be lynched or sent to prison. After the 10th, 15th, or 20th surgery, you would think the doctor would realize that the next procedure will not yield any better results.

If you ever have the courage to openly show your results in public, you could document your story to Discovery or TLC channel, or maybe Dateline NBC. I'm sure one of the top hair doctors in this country will see your story and be willing to help you out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Mine is a very old case. I started in 1989. HT surgeries in those days consisted of only a few grafts. Most of mine were in the 50 to maybe 75 range, mostly in size from 2.5mm to 3.75mm. I think the most I ever had in one session was 122 grafts. One thing I now find really disgusting is that they did scalp reductions during the same session that they were doing a strip of 50 or 60 grafts. They had to know the strip scar would be competing for tension along with the scalp reduction. I went through the whole lawsuit thing years ago, but you can't get anywhere with a malpractice suit for elective surgery.... even if they tell you it's necessary! On top of that, in NJ it's not malpractice for someone to perform surgery without a license because malpractice can only be used against an actual Dr., so I'm not sure why anyone would ever bother to go to medical school if they want to practice in NJ. The whole thing makes no sense.

I finally posted a couple of pictures on my profile. I may post more in the future.

Bill, sorry for taking over your thread.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

For me is was having options, plain and simple. Ive never enjoyed being told what i can and cant do and hated the fact that i was restricted to keeping my hair short. Whilst i know i will never have a full dense head of hair at least i have some options now in styling it :)

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

For me it's mainly about returning to the point of having something to work with. My hair was always very important to me. However it has been slowly thinning for 20 years. I have done a heroic job of making the best of what I had, but as time marched on.... it became more and more of a difficult task.

I have in the last 3 months even graduated to concealers to try and hold it all together. And BTW I am actually kind of surprised at how well the concealers work. But I knew with the need for concealers that something was going to have to change. It become apparent that the road ahead was staring me in the face with 3 realistic options:

#1. Go back to Hair Club....which I had tried for a short time. (hassle & fake)

#2. Basically shave it all off & embrace a balding super short cut. (scary as hell)

#3. Get a 4500-5500 graft hair transplant. (my choice)

It's funny how all of us have different goals and I suppose that's natural depending on where we are along the hair-loss journey. The young guys in their twenties want their "full thick mop back" and many of us older guys just want something that we can work with again. Give me an "illusion of density", something I can work my magic with and I am going to be happy as can be.

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

• 3 weeks later...

There were a few reasons for me wantIng my hair back, I started loosing mine back in 2002 I first noticed it after the birth of my second daughter. I used to monitor my dads hair loss when I was younger and noticed I seemed to be following in the same mpd at around the same age as he did. By the time he was in his late 40's he was around an nw6, the annoying thing was I could control my body from the neck down(keeping in shape and fitness very well) but I couldn't stop what was happening up top.

I didn't want to be the baldy dad picking his daughter's up from school, I didn't want to be the baldy husband of the the stunning women who works in the hair&beauty industry. I can remember one of my mate's young daughter referring to me as half head/half hair (and she was only 10). Then I read about an Irish actor called James Nesbit who had 2 HT's in Dublin back in 08/09 and was blown away by his results. I then started to research Dr's/clinics etc, and had my first ht in march 2011, I had my second ht 10 weeks ago. The first procedure (hair line)is all but grown now and is thick exactly as I wished for,it is the best thing I have done, only wish I had done it 5 yrs ago.

My hair started receding at 18, so i would gel my hair flat to my forehead to try and cover it up. I've always been quite fit and healthy and tryed to look after myself.

People started noticing it and it really got me down. Gradually it got worse and i felt like i had no options because a hair transplant was way out of my budget at the time. Lads at football and mates would take the piss, even new people i met sometimes would say how old are you?. Your hairs quite thin isn't it. Both my previous serious girlfriends both said there was nothing wrong with it, and they liked me with a shaven head but i hated it. I took photos of my hair for years to monitor how i was loseing it and would try to grow it to hide some of the baldness but then shave it off again. Completly took away my confidence, when i went out i was paranoid that people were staring at me and that it made me look really ugly in your early 20's you don't want a slaphead. I think its overlooked as a serious condition which could or cause depression. My situation aswell is that im 5'8 with quite a young looking face which made it more out of place, so i didn't want to be the small bald guy. I didn't want to be completely bald before having kids. I started buying things like head massagers, saw palmetto, tryed minoxidil then came off it a few years back i was desperate. I eventually got the money together and had a transplant in december by fut. At the time i had no hairline, 6 months on today i now have a hairline my confidence has gone sky high with it and its one of the best decisions i've ever made. I hated seing my balding head in photos, but now its not so bad. I will need a 2nd transplant for the crown area and maybe a little more work at the front but what i have got now has made a massive difference. Think Rooney was a big turning point for me, cause being the same age in the public eye and putting up pictures on twitter to get slated by the media, gave me alot of respect for the guy. Theres abit of a stigma still attached to it, alot of blokes want to hide the fact they have had any work done but i came out with it and have had mainley very positive comments, its becoming more acceptable.

Anybody seen the Victor Mature classic Hollywood film Samson ? That would explain my reason , wimp with slaphead but superman with flowing locks !!!

Actually that is BS. My reason is that I have a long face and longish head and large forehead that looks normal with long hair but I am never going to be one of those guys that can pull off a shaven head look, which needs a nice round head.