Does It Really Take One Year to See The Full Growth

Is it a myth or a fact that it takes one solid year, to see the complete growth of the hair thats been transplanted ? Having had a HT almost 5 months ago, I only see a partial growth. I am not completely convinced by my patient educator that more is yet to grow. Any advise please ?

In short, yes.

By 5 months you're just starting to see the first 'shoots' of hair coming through, typically they are a bit wiry or curly at first. It takes time for them to become stronger and to take on the characteristics of your native hair in that area.

Then you have to consider that some areas may grow more slowly so you may not have seen much of that growth yet, it continues to develop.

Obviously it varies by patient, some see great results by 6 months, others take 12-18 months, but as a rough guide I believe the figure floating around on here is that you can see perhaps 40% of your final result after 5 months, taking into account all of the factors above.

Be patient, I would certainly wait at least another 4-5 months at which point you'll have a better idea.

Edited by England

Anyone who has done any kind of research on transplants would tell you that it would take 12-18 months to see full growth AND maturity of the hair where it would gain thickness & improve in quality after growth has reached its optimum.

5 months are only the beginning. If you chose a quality surgeons, then the next 7 months will be exciting.

Just to give you an idea, here is a post I am copying from Bill:

3 months - 10%

4 months - 25%

5 months - 40%

6 months - 60%

7 months - 70%

8 months - 75%

9 months - 80%

10 months - 90%

11 months - 95%

12 months - 98%

18 months - 100%

I was skeptical about this myself, but having just hit the 10.5 month time frame, I can say that I have seen a noticeable difference in my hair over the last month.....it just looks fuller and more dense. I was an early grower and didn't really notice much difference between 8 and 9 months, but after 9 months I started noticing more change.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I'll second what orlhair just said. I received most of my growth during months number five and six. From months 6 to 9 I didn't notice much difference. But in the last four weeks I have noticed a substantial difference in thickness and naturalness. I even got a couple more zits on my scalp a couple weeks ago. This signifies that more growth is yet to come.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I had 1500 transplants in Nov 2011 by Dr Love in OKC. The doctor removed the strip and 2 technicians did the actual transplants. The one tech has been doing this for 20 years so I felt more comfortable in her hands than the doctors. I am very satified with the results and thought I had reached the 100% mark, but if you guys say more may grow that makes me even happier. I am planning on another 1500 later this year to add to the fullness, but this has subtracted about 10 years from my looks. I may get a facelift in a few months so I am waiting to see if that effects the sideburn area.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Second, third and fourth hair transplants take even longer to produce final results than the first one.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Here is the time line I tell people:

Today you will leave with a crew cut of new hair wherever we place it.

7 days from now you'll get your sutures out and most likely you won't have cleaned enough...but once you wash away any remaining scabs in the recipient area...you should look pretty good.

That hair will grow for one month and then just about all of it, AND any of your native hair in that area, will fall out.

Nothing will happen for 6 weeks, and then your native hairs will start to regrow. You'll think its our new hair, but its most likely not.

So from week 5 to 11, you will be balder than now, then at about 3 months you'll be back to baseline with your native hair.

At around 6 months, some of the new hair will be growing. Sometimes its earlier (luck) and sometimes its later(absence of luck).

1 year from today, I'd expect you to have pretty good results but its probably 15 months til you are max'd out....but no one can remember to come in at 15 months, so we do an even year.

If you are a revision of previous surgery, particularly a plug repair...add 3 months to the above timeline starting at the 3 month event noted above.

I hope this is helpful, and it seems to be pretty consistent at our office.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Maybe the next "big" thing that should come out is a way to prevent shock loss :)

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

7 days from now you'll get your sutures out and most likely you won't have cleaned enough...but once you wash away any remaining scabs in the recipient area...you should look pretty good.

That hair will grow for one month and then just about all of it, AND any of your native hair in that area, will fall out.

Nothing will happen for 6 weeks, and then your native hairs will start to regrow. You'll think its our new hair, but its most likely not.

So from week 5 to 11, you will be balder than now, then at about 3 months you'll be back to baseline with your native hair.

At around 6 months, some of the new hair will be growing. Sometimes its earlier (luck) and sometimes its later(absence of luck).

1 year from today, I'd expect you to have pretty good results but its probably 15 months til you are max'd out....but no one can remember to come in at 15 months, so we do an even year.

If you are a revision of previous surgery, particularly a plug repair...add 3 months to the above timeline starting at the 3 month event noted above.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Dr. Lindsey,

This is the most accurate and honest description of progress I've ever heard. Everyone should pay very close attention to what you've said here. Thx, Steve

Edited by sgs

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

That sounds exactly accurate in my situation!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

• 2 months later...

I am about at 8-8.5 months now, and I am suprised at the progress. If I can expect more progress that would be even better. I was initially told I would need 2500 and I have had 1500 and I am quite satisfied. Now I am afraid of going back for additional because the first round was so good I don't want any chance of messing that up.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• 3 weeks later...

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

ANY OF YOUR NATIVE HAIR in the area will fall out? I thought they always talked in numbers like 25% of native hair in the area?

Gobble, on my first three HTs I didn't have shock loss as they were quite some time ago and mostly focused on the hairline (that I didn't have). My last procedure I addressed my entire frontal, mid and crown area. I can honestly say I lost at least 80% of existing hair. Could be because of my age, I don't know. However, everything is coming in better than I could have imagined as I approach 6 month post HT #4.

I will add that you should be prepared for hair fluctuations during the year of waiting to see full growth. I experienced a couple of times where my hair looked better at month 6 than at month 8 - but then better again at month 10.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Gobble, on my first three HTs I didn't have shock loss as they were quite some time ago and mostly focused on the hairline (that I didn't have). My last procedure I addressed my entire frontal, mid and crown area. I can honestly say I lost at least 80% of existing hair. Could be because of my age, I don't know. However, everything is coming in better than I could have imagined as I approach 6 month post HT #4.

That scares me a bit. In your case, did the original hair grow back?

Your #4 pictures confuse me a bit. The pre-op picture you posted looks great. You appear to have a full head of hair. It looks like a little work was done around the hairline then you proceeded to lose most of your hair on top. The current picture looks great again though. What did they do in the mid and crown area? And Why?

I was thinning more than it appeared. I did this for my 50th Bday present to myself and couldn't be happier. It may look like HT#4 was just in the hairline, but not so. I addressed everything hoping this would be my last. Mostly preventative on my part and I couldn't be happier. However, getting to the 4/5 month point was not easy in my case.