The Avodart Thread.

kaliber

My profile has a very well documented year plus of propecia treatment. I was still losing in the vertex so I made the switch to avodart. First of all, no one has sex with me so I don't care about erection difficulties. Personally, less distractions in life resulting from sexual urges would allow me to focus on nobler (education, career, etc) pursuits.

However, I would like people's opinions on Avodart. I know it's not FDA approved for hair loss but there seems to be reasonable evidence that it blocks more DHT than finesteride. Is it worth the switch? Is Avodart truly more effective for hair loss. For those who do care about side effects, are the side effects much more noticeable than propecia. Any thoughts or comments on this drug would be appreciated. I have read several things on the web but I find the members of this site to be much more knowledgeable and experienced on hair loss treatments.

Edited by kaliber

Dude, if you're never going to be sexually active then just go full on castration. Avodart ain't nearly as effective as that.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Avodart inhibits the activities of 2 types of 5 alpha-redutase enzymes where Propecia only inhibits 1 type, that is the reason Avodart (Dutasteride ) is supposedly more effective.

Probably not as effective as Aaron's suggestion though

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

Avodart inhibits the activities of 2 types of 5 alpha-redutase enzymes where Propecia only inhibits 1 type, that is the reason Avodart (Dutasteride ) is supposedly more effective.

Probably not as effective as Aaron's suggestion though

-Sure, I've read that. But we want to look at DHT levels for the scalp right? .5mg of Avodart(dutasteride) inhibits Scalp DHT by 55% while Propecia inhibits around Scalp DHT by 35%. Of course, I've also read that 2.5mg of dutasteride inhibits Scalp DHT by 82%.

So, here are the new questions? Is the optimal dose of dutasteride 2.5 mg? Does a 55% inhibition of scalp DHT look significantly different than 35%. There is a 20% difference but could we distinguish a qualitative difference from looking at someone's head?

Edited by kaliber

" Dude, if you're never going to be sexually active then just go full on castration. Avodart ain't nearly as effective as that. "

Might be one of the greatest post Ive ever read!!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

From your post you stated the Propecia was not working for you and you were continuing to thin in the crown. Avodart was never really tested for genetic hair loss as was Propecia, but history has shown what it does do for men with genetic hair loss. Many men that were not getting the results from Propecia have switched over to Avodart and did receive better results. So in answer to your question will that 20% difference make a difference for you, possibly but the only way to know for sure is to take it for a good 6month and see what type of results you get.

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

I must admit that I really wasn't joking or making fun of you at all. If I knew that I would never have sex again then I probably would consider castration. The pride then would be from my luscious head of hair.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Avodart works noticeably better than Propecia for me.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 2 weeks later...
Avodart works noticeably better than Propecia for me.

so are you taking both Avodart and Finasteride together? (according to your signiture)

if so why?

how long have you been on Finasteride before adding/swithing to Dutasteride?

I've been on Finasteride for a very long time (since 2002-2003 I think) and while it reduced / delayed my hairloss and maintained alot of my hair,I've still been losing hair all these years so I want to try Dutasteride to see if it works better than Finasteride..(also I never had any side effects from Finasteride).

I know taking Avodart is making the Finasteride kind of redundant, but I want to use every little thing I can do to help things out. I'm hoping that one medication will help "boost" the other. I was on Fin for 6 months before I added Avodart. It made all the difference.

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Jazzy, I just get mine from my family doctor.

In a study I read, 2.5 mg. of Avodart regrew 15 more hairs in a one inch circle than the .5 mg. did. I imagine everyone is different though. If I had the money to take the 2.5 doseage I would certainly give it a try for a while.

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Kaliber, from your photos it looks like you've regrown quite well! The last pic at the bottom looks like your crown is perfect.

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

I know taking Avodart is making the Finasteride kind of redundant, but I want to use every little thing I can do to help things out. I'm hoping that one medication will help "boost" the other. I was on Fin for 6 months before I added Avodart. It made all the difference.

I've been thinking about starting Dutasteride for over a year now,having had 2 (poor) HT's and awaiting the 3rd one I am determined to keep as many of my hair as possible,and Dutasteride appears to be a good alternative/addition to Finasteride.

problem is I live in UK and I cannot find a recommended or %100 legit online store to order them from.they are much more expensive than Finasteride (even the generic brands).

and going to a doctor and asking for it is not an option in this country.

also a bit sceptic as I read in forums that some people experienced more shedding when they changed from Finasteride to Dutasteride.

• 1 month later...

I'm afraid I'm not improving. I started avodart two months ago and not only is my recession worse but my crown and mid-anterior region look horrible. I can literally feel how thin the area is when I touch it. I'm still hoping I'll see Avodart kick in soon.

I've been thinking about starting Dutasteride for over a year now,having had 2 (poor) HT's and awaiting the 3rd one I am determined to keep as many of my hair as possible,and Dutasteride appears to be a good alternative/addition to Finasteride.

problem is I live in UK and I cannot find a recommended or %100 legit online store to order them from.they are much more expensive than Finasteride (even the generic brands).

and going to a doctor and asking for it is not an option in this country.

also a bit sceptic as I read in forums that some people experienced more shedding when they changed from Finasteride to Dutasteride.

You can get it on Goldpharma and they will post it to you. They do an 'online prescription' so no need to get a UK doctor involved.

I just looked now and it's about 36 pounds for 30 tablets.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I wanted to update on this blog. I have had rapid recession from the temples and extreme thinning on the top of my head. I've been on Avodart for two months and I'm committed to atleast 6 months(I know a lot of people will tell me a year but I'm so bald I'm getting to the point where I would rather shave my head).

My new question is this, did anyone else experience a deterioration of their hair before it improved when using avodart. I do not mean a shed, If I had a shed I would be relieved because I would know my hair responds to this stuff.

I'd also like to report I've experienced no side effects from Avodart and I did occasionally have problems with propecia and proscar.

Regardless, your thought s would help.

Kaliber,

are you sure your medication is legit?

if you had occasional sides with finasteride,but no sides at all with dutasteride+worsened hairloss it could be that your pills are fake?? (asuming you bought them online).

but I think you need to wait at least 6 months anyway.

I've heard some people (few) on forums reporting hairloss worsening when switching to Dutasterie.but most people that switch from Finasteride to Dutasteride report major improvement.

No, I get my prescriptions from a doctor and pick them up at a pharmacy. I am not taking a generic, it's the real deal. I never buy this stuff online but prescriptions are much cheaper in Korea.

I take .5 mg of Avodart a day. I never had any "shed" on propecia or avodart. My hairline just keeps going back and I'm getting very thin on top. My erections are much more common on Avodart than they are on prpecia although propecia did not really give me strong side effects. I just think I'm someone who doesn't respond to any of this crap. I'll give it six months as I gave propecia a year.

• 3 weeks later...
No, I get my prescriptions from a doctor and pick them up at a pharmacy. I am not taking a generic, it's the real deal. I never buy this stuff online but prescriptions are much cheaper in Korea.

I take .5 mg of Avodart a day. I never had any "shed" on propecia or avodart. My hairline just keeps going back and I'm getting very thin on top. My erections are much more common on Avodart than they are on prpecia although propecia did not really give me strong side effects. I just think I'm someone who doesn't respond to any of this crap. I'll give it six months as I gave propecia a year.

@ Kaliber, How do you fee the Avodart now? Is your hairs still degrading? cze i have hit my 3 month mark and the hair recession almost stopped but not completely yet, and i have never seen any positive results so far? Thinning is observed every where in Vertex and hairline was wondering to continue the treatment or STOP it, Appreciate if you share your experience in details.

• 1 year later...

Only 6 months of propecia... I don't think you can conclusively say it was the avodart. Maybe propecia started to work better after the 6 month period and there was no need for avodart. At this point, the propecia is redundant, though. Ther are not 'booster' meds they are enzyme inhibitors...

Only 6 months of propecia... I don't think you can conclusively say it was the avodart. Maybe propecia started to work better after the 6 month period and there was no need for avodart. At this point, the propecia is redundant, though. Ther are not 'booster' meds they are enzyme inhibitors...

But doesn't Avodart boost the percentage of harmful DHT that is blocked?

Considering the once a week dut with daily fin study, it seems that a combo does increase the effectiveness. I can see how both daily may be considered redundant.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.