The ARTAS Hair Transplantation System For FUE

Sean

Has anyone ever heard of the ARTAS Hair Transplant System? I have read some articles about this machine/saw some videos.

Seems like the machine was recently approved/licensed to be used in Canada.

Restoration Robotics ARTAS hair transplantation system receives Canadian Medical Device License

It makes FUE extractions a lot faster, accurate, and can possibly prevent over harvesting by detecting density with its computerized process. It doesn't seem to use air pressure like the Neograft, which some say could be a harmful process for the grafts. I think a possible downside to the ARTAS system is that it's only suited for people with straight hair, either black or dark brown.

Read, Hair transplant robot gets FDA approval, men with straight brown hair rejoice -- Engadget

A major thing that concerns me is the punch size? Is it able to do .75 to .9mm punch size? The videos I have seen, the punch looks bigger. I don't know if that punch in the video is the actual punch or like a shell that has the smaller punch concealed inside it, but I would really like to know.

Take a look at the extraction process here:

hairrestorationrobot's Channel - YouTube

Are there any doctors on this forum using this machine or considering using it? If so, can any doctor give feedback on the machine and the quality of results it has produced on their patients? Is it accurate? How is the yield?

Are there any members on this forum that have had a transplant using this system that had satisfied results? If so, can any of you post before and after photos?

What do you guys think?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 2 months later...

Seems like Dr. Bernstein is also using it now and was recently featured on channel NY1 about it:

Dr. Bernstein Featured With “First Of Its Kind” Robotic Hair Transplant System On NY1 | Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

I'd like to see the extracted donor photos and results from the use of this system by doctors that may be utilizing it. Hope a few would be willing to share as it seems very interesting and I am wondering how good this is. Accuracy/Precision and yield rate wise.

Most of North American coalition recommended doctors these days favored to use James Harris SAFE system for its efficiency and good quality, so if James Harris himself decided to use ARTAS system then its definitely a good tool. I just heard that many doctors find it hard to purchase it due to its expensive price. Looking forward for more results posted by Dr, Bernstien, I heard a lot about this robot and its very very low transaction rates.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Most of North American coalition recommended doctors these days favored to use James Harris SAFE system for its efficiency and good quality, so if James Harris himself decided to use ARTAS system then its definitely a good tool. I just heard that many doctors find it hard to purchase it due to its expensive price. Looking forward for more results posted by Dr, Bernstien, I heard a lot about this robot and its very very low transaction rates.

I agree Hariri, seems like a lot of doctors use the SAFE but was wondering about his machine. I know the cost is very expensive so don't know how many clinics offer it right about now. I really wonder about the transection rates. If you find anything, please do share.

Sean I contacted ARTAS company and they provided me with a list of surgeons using it...

Here is their Email to me:-

Thank you for your interest in the ARTAS® Procedure, the safe, effective and innovative solution for hair loss.

Practices currently performing the ARTAS Procedure include:

Hair Sciences Center of Colorado

5445 DTC Parkway Suite 1015

Greenwood Village, CO 80111

(888) 755-1134

Ziering Medical Worldwide

9201 Sunset Boulevard, Suite 305

West Hollywood, CA 90069

(888) 760-4402

Bernstein Medical – Center for Hair Restoration

110 East 55th Street

New York, NY 10022

(888) 617-7266

Bosley Medical

9100 Wilshire Boulevard

Beverly Hills, CA 90212

(888) 624-8322

Mark A. Bishara, MD

550 North Walnut Drive, Suite 120

Mansfield, TX 76063

(888) 601-6569

New Horizons Center for Cosmetic Surgery

9843 Gross Point Road

Skokie, IL 60076

(888) 560-5539

This state of the art hair restoration procedure is only available from select hair restoration physicians.

The ARTAS Team

My Hair Treatments:

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Thanks for the list Hariri. This system costs way more then other motorized tools. Maybe that is why many doctors haven't used it yet.

I'd like to see some before and after results with Artas. Donor area as well as the yield. Dr. Bernstein has written on his blog " This allows for very precise extraction of follicular units from the donor area with minimal transection" .

I found some other info on it. Seems like Dr. Bernstein has answered a lot of questions that I had in his blog. It can work for those with blond or grey hair but they have to dye their hair first.

Does ARTAS Robot For FUE Work With Blond Hair? | Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

ARTAS Robot vs. Neograft Machine in Follicular Unit Extraction | Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

Robotic FUE Archive | Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration - Page 2

Do you think it could be more precise vs manual or motorized methods?

• 1 month later...

Noob here...I can't believe only 6 facility in America have this machine. I thought this was a breakthrough technology. It looks pretty good on youtube. So, is it more affordable getting a hair transplant via Artas? I am hoping yes because I read somewhere it is less time consuming and efficient.

Edited by moonfresh

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, the ARTAS Hair Restoration System is innovative in that it partially automates the follicular unit extraction (FUE) procedure. It comes with a list of proposed benefits but whether it's truly more effective in yielding better results than other manual devices is debatable. I also suggest that every physician will have their own opinion since style and technique varies from surgeon to surgeon.

On a similar note, I was just informed by ARTAS that several of our recommended physicians have incorporated the ARTAS Hair Restoration System in their practice. However, I have yet to confirm from Dr. Rahal, Dr. Feinberg and Dr. Charles that they are indeed using the device.

Dr. Cooley

Dr. Harris

Dr. Bernstein

Dr. Charles

Dr. Feinberg

Dr. Rahal

Devices and tools liike the ARTAS are designed to attempt to make a procedure easier and more effective. But at the end of the day, I firmly believe that patients should choose physicians who have a proven track record of producing excellent results regardless of the tool they use.

Best wishes,

Bill

I didn't know Dr. Rahal investigated the ARTAS system. He's been so successful with his previous FUE methods, I'm curious as to see whether or not he fully adapts the system.

Additionally, I believe Dr. Charles recently performed a FUE repair case on a cancer survivor utilizing the ARTAS system. Looks like he may plan to integrate it full-time as well?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 3 weeks later...

Must be Dr. Rahal just recently purchased the robot because 6 months ago, FUE patients like Sean and Sugarhigh had motorized FUE (Safe system) performed on them. It would be really interesting to see any patient of Dr. Rahal who has FUE using ARTAS system and start posting his results in monthly basis. Really Interesting.

My Hair Treatments:

I've been researching the ARTAS lately (for an article), and I'm fairly impressed. While it doesn't fully automate the FUE process and putting it in the hands of a neophyte surgeon could be a disaster (as extraction is only one aspect of an entire hair transplant procedure), it has some very unique features and a lot of care went into designing the device.

At the end of the day, it's still just a tool (and true results rely on the physician, not the device he/she uses), but I think it stands out among other automated FUE devices.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I've been researching the ARTAS lately (for an article), and I'm fairly impressed. While it doesn't fully automate the FUE process and putting it in the hands of a neophyte surgeon could be a disaster (as extraction is only one aspect of an entire hair transplant procedure), it has some very unique features and a lot of care went into designing the device.

At the end of the day, it's still just a tool (and true results rely on the physician, not the device he/she uses), but I think it stands out among other automated FUE devices.

Agreed. It isn't some great equalizer of surgeons, making any doctor who uses it capable of the same results as any other, but it's definitely a nice piece of kit for a clinic to make available as a choice for patients. From what I've read the whole system has undergone a lot of refinement and the latest generation machine is capable of supreme accuracy.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

My understanding is that the actual puncture tool used in ARTAS is Dr. Harris' motorized SAFE tool, which is well regarded. So that, plus computerized mapping of the donor/extraction sites and computerized precision of puncture angle and depth should make for an excellent FUE system in the right hands.

MATTJ, Is Dr. Rahal shifiting from SAFE system to ARTAS system in all of his FUE procedures? Also will his FUE rate will still say the same with using this new system? There are many HTN member and Rahal fans wondering about that!

My Hair Treatments:

MATTJ, Is Dr. Rahal shifiting from SAFE system to ARTAS system in all of his FUE procedures? Also will his FUE rate will still say the same with using this new system? There are many HTN member and Rahal fans wondering about that!

Count me among those wondering. :)

I know that Blake has contacted all of our physicians who are currently using the ARTAS for their expert opinion/input related to the device including their personal view on the advantages and limitations of the machine. Several have already replied with their feedback. I look forward to Dr. Rahal's input as well.

Best wishes,

Bill

Artas – Robotic Hair Transplant

Restoration Robotics, a company founded by Dr. Frederick H. Moll, developed the ARTAS System. This completely automated machine is the first robot designed to carry out the scoring aspect of the FUE hair transplant procedure. Once the machine is turned on and initial parameters are set by the physician, and set to start, the machine decides which follicles to score around. It then proceeds from one follicle to the other at preset speeds.

HOW ARTAS WORKS: THE MECHANICS

Cameras, color identification sensors, and 3-D imaging software guide the robotic arm of ARTAS in selecting which follicles to score. To carry out the rest of the FUE process, ARTAS employs:

• A needle punch mechanism
  • Disposable dermal punches
  • Disposable cartridges
  • A video imaging system
  • A user interface

This double-punch extraction technique requires an outer 16g (1.65mm) punch with cutting capabilities, along with an inner 18g (1.2 mm) punch with a blunt edge.

ARTAS is only approved for use on patients with straight hair that is dark brown or black in color.

The patient is positioned for the robot to punch out the grafts on a donor area of roughly 5 to 10cm at a time. During this time, the patient must remain absolutely still as the head is restrained by straps. After this, the surgeon removes each graft by hand with a pair of forceps. The patient is then repositioned for ARTAS to work on a new section of donor hair. This process continues until the extraction portion of surgery is complete. The implantation of grafts to the bald area is done using a traditional transplant approach.

Noob here...I can't believe only 6 facility in America have this machine. I thought this was a breakthrough technology. It looks pretty good on youtube. So, is it more affordable getting a hair transplant via Artas? I am hoping yes because I read somewhere it is less time consuming and efficient.

Will it be more afforable than current FUE prices without the machine? My guess is NO. Check out the prices of those 6 clinics. The reason why more clinics don't have it is due to the cost of the machine itself. Then you have to add ongoing prices of maintenance fees & cost per graft punched.

Artas has worked hard to refine the machine to extract at low transection rates but the rate will vary depending on each patient and the person running it so not everyone will have the same transection rate.

My understanding in regards to the punch size is that it's currently 1.0mm but they are working on .9mm punch sizes.

I believe few more clinics have aquired the machine in recent months.

Artas – Robotic Hair Transplant

Restoration Robotics, a company founded by Dr. Frederick H. Moll, developed the ARTAS System. This completely automated machine is the first robot designed to carry out the scoring aspect of the FUE hair transplant procedure. Once the machine is turned on and initial parameters are set by the physician, and set to start, the machine decides which follicles to score around. It then proceeds from one follicle to the other at preset speeds.

HOW ARTAS WORKS: THE MECHANICS

Cameras, color identification sensors, and 3-D imaging software guide the robotic arm of ARTAS in selecting which follicles to score. To carry out the rest of the FUE process, ARTAS employs:

• A needle punch mechanism

• Disposable dermal punches

• Disposable cartridges

• A video imaging system

• A user interface

This double-punch extraction technique requires an outer 16g (1.65mm) punch with cutting capabilities, along with an inner 18g (1.2 mm) punch with a blunt edge.

ARTAS is only approved for use on patients with straight hair that is dark brown or black in color.

The patient is positioned for the robot to punch out the grafts on a donor area of roughly 5 to 10cm at a time. During this time, the patient must remain absolutely still as the head is restrained by straps. After this, the surgeon removes each graft by hand with a pair of forceps. The patient is then repositioned for ARTAS to work on a new section of donor hair. This process continues until the extraction portion of surgery is complete. The implantation of grafts to the bald area is done using a traditional transplant approach.

If those are the punch sizes used, to me the machine is now horrifying. There is no way in hell I would go near 1.65mm or 1.2mm. I hope they have it atleast at .8mm. I hope the clinics that use the machine can have their representatives answer some questions and concerns on this thread. I really want to see actual ARTAS extracted FUE results on this forum.

@Sean, maybe if you go back to Dr. Rahal this year for the guarantee FUE job, then they may use ARTAS robot on you lol :-)

@Janna, Is SMG thinking of upgrading to ARTAS robot or still contented with Jamis Harris SAFE system?

My Hair Treatments: