Have i lost a graft? with answer!

Have i lost a graft is often asked because after a Ht operation you're mind plays tricks on you the answer that often comes up is if you don't see blood you're fine which is true but just to enforce this i'm going to use my own personal misfortune of losing one tiny single hair graft and show you pictures of how much blood comes out i think you'll be surprised considering how small a single hair graft is.

For anyone interested in how it happened to me it was a freakish accident where i took off my bandanna very very slowly but a single ht hair had hooked round a loose bit of stitching in my bandanna and pulled it out like velcro.

5b32d1b40a4c1_ht3postop097.jpg.ed9eafede97b3ffde88c86e4058a6cdb.jpg

5b32d1b41fe15_ht3postop098.jpg.bfc9d7afdf0adfdd315c83ca5763077d.jpg

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Yeah, that happened to me too - except I was picking a scab. :o

I cried - put the follicle in a casket - stated my eulogy and moved on.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Lol spanker Dutch. Aarron there's a real sense of failure when it happens isn't there but you think about it and realise it won't make a dam bit of difference so you get on with it. I was shocked it could happen as it had been in my head 2 days but there you go.

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

This is very helpful. So another question then comes to mind. Till how many days after surgery can a graft be pulled out? You would think at one point pulling a scab won't pull the graft along with it. Read on another post a user pulled a graft after 8 days. After how many days can you feel comfortable that you are not going to pull any?

Mine was in my head for 5 days! And it was a three hair graft... I need every last one!

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Danteef good point and I honestly think it's to do with healing mine seemed fairly well healed in at 2 days but obviously not lol.

Aaron 5 days wow that's intereting.

Nhp yes cheers mate I like to be positive even with bad situations so I'm sure this thread will help many people as paranoia gets us all in the early stage even now after 4 hts I still had some in these early days.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Wow that IS a lot of blood for a slit that is under 1 mm.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Wow that IS a lot of blood for a slit that is under 1 mm.

Lateral slit too can you imagine standard round slits.

Edited by bonkerstonker

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

• 3 months later...

Bump.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, no doubt that is a lost graft and that is exactly what it looks like when a graft comes out post-op. A trickle of blood that is unquestionably oozing from the recipient site.

Generally speaking, the grafts are pretty secure after 3 days post-op. But let's say the individual does not clot properly, could there be a lost graft past 3 days? Sure. Or if there are issues of slower healing, etc.

Good thing you did not lose more than one...:)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

Hi yes sorry for late reply I don't come on the forums much anymore this is a really old post had another surgery since then and hair loss is a thing of the past for me now but glad it's helping people still. I chose to wear bandana found it was most comfortable way to travel through airports with all 5 of my transplants.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Bonker,

Nice to hear from you after so much time. Glad to hear things are going well for you in the hair department. We miss you around here!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 1 month later...

Hi david hope your well. Yes I defo should try get more involved and help out a bit. Few people mention this should be a sticky maybe it should be mate.

Interestingly for the record I've just had scar revision as I'm a bad healer with scars gambled on revision to try make better.

With my revision they had to remove 500 grafts which I don't really need but had to go somewhere so 480 went in crown and I put 20 singles in a scar on my chin that I got from cage fighting as it's always annoyed me having that bald line there lol. Any how I ended up pulling another bloody graft out while was sleeping it's really hard not to touch your face or head while sleeping and true to form I woke to find a trickle of blood, i washed it to find the graft was stuck in the scab on my face lol that's life but proves once again when you lose a graft there's no mistaking it you 100% know it's out from the blood and if you wash careful you see white graft actually in the scab.

Edited by bonkerstonker

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

bonkers,

Well it's a good thing that the 500 grafts that came with your revision was not wasted...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi david hope your well. Yes I defo should try get more involved and help out a bit. Few people mention this should be a sticky maybe it should be mate.

Interestingly for the record I've just had scar revision as I'm a bad healer with scars gambled on revision to try make better.

With my revision they had to remove 500 grafts which I don't really need but had to go somewhere so 480 went in crown and I put 20 singles in a scar on my chin that I got from cage fighting as it's always annoyed me having that bald line there lol. Any how I ended up pulling another bloody graft out while was sleeping it's really hard not to touch your face or head while sleeping and true to form I woke to find a trickle of blood, i washed it to find the graft was stuck in the scab on my face lol that's life but proves once again when you lose a graft there's no mistaking it you 100% know it's out from the blood and if you wash careful you see white graft actually in the scab.

Good point! I'll ask Bill about making this a sticky. He's got the final say on that.

Good luck on the scar! I just reviewed your hair loss site again. Amazing journey you've had! Hope your scar turns out well.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website