Hair loss at 24

I am 24, I have been loosing my hair slowly from past 4 years. As of now its average. I can cover completely with 1.5 inch hair. I am having less hair only at the crown, my front is very good. Please suggest me some non-surgical treatment for next 5 to 10 years in future i will go for HT. I don't want to try Propecia as i am still not married :P. I was thinking to try Rogaine, what do you suggest?. I will try to post some pictures soon.

Rogaine and Propecia are the only 2 proven meds to slow down your hair loss (or possibly regrow some hair). I like Rogaine foam because it's easy to apply. What do you mean by not wanting to start Propecia because you aren't married yet?

Also, be aware that once you start either of these treatments, it's likely a lifetime commitment.

Rogaine and Propecia are the only 2 proven meds to slow down your hair loss (or possibly regrow some hair). I like Rogaine foam because it's easy to apply. What do you mean by not wanting to start Propecia because you aren't married yet?

Also, be aware that once you start either of these treatments, it's likely a lifetime commitment.

What he said! If you want to keep what you have, Finasteride especially, helps keep that. Minoxidil is a bonus, but doesn't seem to work as well as Finasteride. Fin blocks the source of hairloss, while Minoxidil is just a growth promoter.

Best of luck to you!!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Hairloss24,

Welcome! You've been given great advice. A combination of Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride) is the best non-surgical treatment currently available.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for all the replies guys.. I am worried about the side effects of Propecia as i read in Wikipedia. Whad do you guys say?

Also does Rogaine alone work?, i have read in the forum that some one said he started loosing hair more faster after using Rogaine for 2 years.

Should we use the two meds even after having hair transplantation ?

Don't read Wikipedia, or don't read other horror stories about finasteride...few people experience side effects...some definitely do, however, IMO..its blown way out of proportion...

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Try Propecia......if you have side effects that are mild they usually go away after your body gets used to it. You can also try lower doses if you have any side effects. Rogaine Foam does work for most people, but it is not as effective as Propecia and the combination works best.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

The meds are known to work especially well in guys your age (could possibly re-grow hair, not just maintain it) and the sides are a small percentage. I would get on them asap. Then when you hit your late 20s, early 30s you can start to revisit the idea of a HT.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind replies guys. I have been feeling very sad these day seeing my hair thinning. I have decided to go for Propecia and Rogaine foam. Can any one please suggest me where can i get these, I currently live in Auburnhills, MI. Should i go see a doctor before i start using Propecia? also can i only use Rogaine foam as of now and after 2 years can i start using Propecia?.

Thank you

You will need a prescription for propecia so visit your dermatologist. You can get it at any local pharmacy. Rogaine foam is over the counter at any pharmacy as well and you can start right away but you can probably use both meds now if your doctor feels its ok.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the reply, I live in Detroit. Can you suggest any dermatologist there. Also how much dosage of Propecia should i take i am thinking of talking 0.25mg every day. As a new user i want to start with low dosage to minimize the side effects. Please suggest. Should i use Rogaine foam after shower or before shower, or can i take shower every day if i am using the rogaine foam. Please also suggest some good ideas to reduce the side effects.

Hairloss24,

First do more research on both medications and research both the cause and behavior of Male Pattern Baldness (MPB).

Until you fully understand what MPB is, will you know what is best for you.

In a nutshell, MPB is a lifelong progression of genetic based hairloss. Propecia (finasteride) is the only proven hairloss med that was developed specifically for treating the cause of MPB which is DHT. Minoxidil does not inhibit DHT but finasteride does in most men.

Minoxidil tends to rejuvenate dormant hair follicles and also helps or promotes an improvement to hair shaft diameter at best.

And yes you need to be examined by a reputable doctor to first be diagnosed with MPB and yes you need a presciption for Propecia. You do not need a script for Rogaine.

Either product can cause or induce a momentary shed upon initial use and why your own reserach will inform you of that possibilty. You don't want that initial possible shed to discourage you from continued use.

If you do not get on Propecia or some other form of low dose finasteride, you will lose more hair. You will never know if you sustain any side-effects until you try it. And as was said, in many cases, they go away or your doc can adjust the frequency of ingestion. It is important to have competent follow-up with these meds to see how you respond way before you decide on getting a hair transplant.

Best wishes to you.;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

My hair loss has increased all of a sudden and i am loosing so much hair every day. I am using rogaine foam and Fin from past one month, no improvement, i am going bald very soon. I know i have to wait for atleast 4 month to see some results with these two. But while applying rogaine to my scalp i see so much hair to my fingers. I am scared i will loose more hair in this way. Should i stop applying Rogaine until Fin starts working and stop my hair fall ?, Is there any medicine i can take to temporarily reduce the severe hair fall until Fin starts working because i am scare i will go complete bald by next 2 months.

Thank you

My hair loss has increased all of a sudden and i am loosing so much hair every day. I am using rogaine foam and Fin from past one month, no improvement, i am going bald very soon. I know i have to wait for atleast 4 month to see some results with these two. But while applying rogaine to my scalp i see so much hair to my fingers. I am scared i will loose more hair in this way. Should i stop applying Rogaine until Fin starts working and stop my hair fall ?, Is there any medicine i can take to temporarily reduce the severe hair fall until Fin starts working because i am scare i will go complete bald by next 2 months.

Thank you

Try to calm yourself down. Yes it can freak any of us out seeing the hair shedding, yet most hairloss docs will inform you that it is a sign that you are responding, meaning, your hair follicles are retreating into the resting phase and yes they do re-enter the growth pase approxitately four months later. I have never seen anyone go completely bald from using Rogaine or Propecia.

Like I stated earlier my friend, using both products at the same time can induce a shed, and it sounds like that is exactly what you are experiencing. The worst thing you can do is to start adding anything else to your routine. That can only compound the shed cycle.

The best things to start doing is get your mind off of it. get involved in jogging, chess, anything that diverts your attention away from the mirror. All that you can do is continue under a doctor's care and let nature takes it's course. It takes one year to fully assess if Propecia is working and about 6-9 months for minoxidil in most individuals.

You're going to be fine, you'll see. Stay away from mirrors.:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY