Deciding between Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. True

MarkOrleans

Howdy all -

I've had extensive erosion of the hairline in the past 6 years. I had a previous FUT (about 4000 grafts, that solved all of my other hairloss problems, but my hairline is still almost non-existent (very thin in the front).

I've narrowed my search down to Ron Shapiro and True. Both of these doctors seem to have produced some knockout hairlines while not having to shave the recipient zone. I'm aiming for about 1600 to 2000 grafts (have about $8k budgeted for it).

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks. There's plenty of other docs out there that have caught my eye, but I'm not in a position to have parts of my head shaved right now. I have to give presentations a lot during the coming year. However, that will die down and in about 4 years, and I'll be able to shave whatever needs to be shaved. I think at that point I'd like Dr. Wong to exhaust my donor supply on the crown. But first I gotta square away that hairline!

Best of luck on your journey, I have heard wonderful things about both surgeons. Before exhausting your donor supply in 4 years, make sure cloning isn't only a few years away; that would be a shame.

2/14/2011 Surgery #1 Dr. Ivan Cohen - 1539 grafts, 1's - 475

2's - 989

3's - 75

2/20/2012 Surgery #2 Dr. Carlos Wesley - 2570 grafts

Both great docs. I'm obviously partial to SMG in general as a clinic but I know T&D consistently put out great work. Either way, you're good.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I had a great experience with SMG and I have been very impressed with True & Dorin.

You really can't go wrong with your choice between these two surgeons.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Dr. Shapiro of course. SMG has more consistent results and more wise in using the donor. i would chose him over True and Dorin.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Both very good clinics, you cant go wrong with either.

Dr. Shapiro of course. SMG has more consistent results and more wise in using the donor

Hariri what do you mean? Can you explain or show me an example where SMG was wiser using donor than T&D. I find this interesting because I have never heard this before. I was just wondering if you would be kind enough to share how to came to this conculsion?

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Hariri, That's a pretty outlandish claim. There's really no basis for your statement, and if there is you should back it up with some concrete examples.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

No one can help you with an objective answer that will help you on that question. You had a tree of apples and narrowed it down to the two apples that look the best. From here it's all up to your subjective view as they are both top class. Good luck either way.

Both clinics are good, Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. True/Dorin. You can't go wrong with either. I mean you can probably break this down by who is willing to give you what you want/the design they use/the most grafts according to your budget/best price/ etc.

Whatever other factor you think of you can use to break it down to make a choice.

good luck

Hariri, That's a pretty outlandish claim. There's really no basis for your statement, and if there is you should back it up with some concrete examples.

I agree. I think both clinics are really top notch.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

If you are considered a New York doctor you should consider Dr. Feller as well.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Baldwhisky,

Indeed, very good point, despite the tongue in cheek.

All patients should fully read through their consent forms prior to signing so they all understand everything they themselves are electing to do and ask any questions surrounding all the risks and potential outcomes clearly outline within it and involved with HT surgery to their doctor.

Then post op if the patient is not satisfied for whatever reason despite the result or their possible inflated expectations and understanding there then can be no miscommunication or flipping of the script. This in turn can save a great deal of energy, emotion and time and also can limit barbed topics and even lies posted publicly online designed to malign Doctors.

Best

spex

Spex,

I am looking at surgeons to do my second surgery, as I am not happy with the results of the first one. My unhappiness stems from inflated expectations I came to as a result of poor communication with my first surgeon. I am meeting with him in December to fully assess my progress, and discuss my level of satisfaction. I feel very strongly that I was misled to believe that I would achieve the results I was looking for from my first procedure, and my doctor has already agreed to work with me and stand behind his work, but to what extent? We will find out in December. I have never mentioned my surgeons name at all, especially not to "malign" him. Don't you think that a Surgeon should stand behind their work, and if they don't, then an honest, and greatly disappointed patient not only has the right, but duty to make their situation known in this community? I uinderstand that there are those out there with less than honorable intentions, that can be said about both doctors and patients though. I am counting on my surgeon to make good on his work, and provide me with the results I had requested, and was led to expect. I think that is only fair. And in the name of fairness, that surgeons name will be revealed for doing a top notch job and standing behind his work, or revealed for providing misinformed expectations, and not following through on them afterward. I don't see that as an attempt to "malign" a surgeon, and many other network members would agree with me, both patients and surgeons.

That having been said, I might be in the market for a new surgeon if my primary doesn't follow through. I have heard absolutely wonderful things about Dr. Feller, and would certainly consider him to work on my dome. Spex, I know that you have a close professional relationship with Dr. Feller. Have you seen poor work on his part, or just people speaking poorly of him? The first negative information I have read on Feller was this post above. Please let me know what people are saying about him, whether it be positive or negative. PM me if you must. But I want it to be perfectly clear that I do not intend to harm my primary surgeons reputation, I just want what we had discussed, and I was expecting after my first procedure. You surely know the heart ache felt by a HT patient, whose expectations have not been met.

Sincerely,

Trees

2/14/2011 Surgery #1 Dr. Ivan Cohen - 1539 grafts, 1's - 475

2's - 989

3's - 75

2/20/2012 Surgery #2 Dr. Carlos Wesley - 2570 grafts

MarkOrlean,

In my opinion, both Dr. True and Dr. Shapiro are performing world renowned hair transplantation with consistent, excellent results. Selecting amongst these two gems will come down to your personal preference after viewing dozens of photos, consulting with both physicians and talking to and possibly meeting their patients. The good news is, no matter which one you choose, you'll be in expert hands :-).

Best wishes,

Bill

If you are considered a New York doctor you should consider Dr. Feller as well.

He said he is looking at 1600 to 2000 grafts with a budget of $8k. I am not sure about T and D but I though that Dr. Feller is pretty expensive?

Shapiro, Rahal and Konior are my favorites, but I see a lot of good work out of T and D too. Sounds like a tough choice.

You can search this or other sites for info on the doctors that you are considering. Before and afters in addition to patient testimonies and the general consensus of a doctors bedside manner, ethics and follow-up care.

I think if you do a lot of research it may make the choice easier, but I agree, both T and D and SMG are great.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.