No Propecia For Corvettester... for the time being.

Gentlemen,

I just had a nice follow up visit with Dr. Dorin. As usual, he was very welcoming and spent plenty of time with me discussing my concerns, one of which was Propecia.

Basically, he said that if I wanted to start Propecia, he would prescribe it, but that he didn't think I needed it as of yet. Due to the dense and apparently stable nature of my Crown and Midsection, he didn't feel comfortable starting me on a drug that I would be on indefinitely simply for the sake of being overly-cautious.

We also discussed the issue of side effects and Merk's updated warning label. Dr. Dorin had just come back from the ISHRS meeting in Alaska where he had discussed the matter at length with several leading doctors, including Dr. Bernstein. He basically told me that the recent controversy was overhyped and lacked credible scientific and anecdotal evidence. Thus, he said that he would feel very comfortable prescribing Propecia for me when the time is right.

He actually offered to allow me to stop by every month for photos and to examine my crown and midsection if I was that worried about it. I declined his generous offer, but I told him we could just monitor it every three or four months, when I come in for my regular follow ups...

Thus, I'm siding with Dr. Dorin's opinion that for the time being, it isn't really necessary and too much of a commitment and hassle to deal with. Of course, I'm open to starting it further down the road, at the slightest notice of thinning in the midsection or crown.

Below you can see some pics of my crown and midsection (for high resolution pics, see my photo album or hair loss website, link below). The first photo was taken back in August, 2010. The other three were taken just yesterday, October 10th, 2011.

I can see no difference among the pics, nor do I notice any difference in density when I run my hands through my hair. Let me know what you guys think... can you see a difference in my crown? Any thinning? What do you think about my decision to hold off on Propecia for now?

Corvettester

5b32cfd8f1910_8_12.10copy.jpg.54453f05affd0bed3c20dafffab55f12.jpg

5b32cfd913e36_10_10.11copy.jpg.9773dcfa66576d30283eab1c80719547.jpg

5b32cfd92c4fd_10_10.113copy.jpg.2cb4e736651cb0ac2fac572ecbbb935c.jpg

5b32cfd93a368_10_10.112copy.jpg.40d6af43d5d661106095393633845435.jpg

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

This makes sense. I think you should pay the most attention to the area immediately behind where the grafts were planted. Look out for changes there. (If that isn't so obvious as to make my comment completely redundant).

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Corvette

I certainly do like your new MO of referring to yourself in the third person! Your hair looks solid!

I only do that for the Title of the thread so that I can draw my buddies' attention to my threads... Corvettester is not an egoist! LOL!:D

Corvettester

This makes sense. I think you should pay the most attention to the area immediately behind where the grafts were planted. Look out for changes there.

Mattj,

Exactly! The forelock and bridge are now and have always been thinner than the crown and midsection. Dr. Dorin noted as much.

However, I'm not sure how effective Propecia is at treating the forelock and bridge, but it would definitely be worth a try if they started to go. In other words, I would start Propecia if I noticed thinning there.

Corvettester

I only do that for the Title of the thread so that I can draw my buddies' attention to my threads... Corvettester is not an egoist! LOL!:D

Corvettester

I actually find this relieving in a way. :D

Propecia definitely can be effective in those areas you mention. I don't think you're in immediate danger of disaster if you don't take it though.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Your hair does look solid and a cautious approach makes sense. In the end going with your doctor's advice is wise. The fact that you will monitor it closely and keep your options open also supports holding off because you can catch any thinning at the earliest stages and reconsider at that time.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I would personally get on it - sometimes it takes awhile before hair loss is noticeable to the naked eye. But the good thing is is that you are closely monitoring your hair's condition with a great doc and you are willing to give fin a try if you notice further loss. In the long run you'll be fine either way.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Yes, it was a difficult decision to come to. In fact, it was harder to decide on whether or not to start Propecia than it was to get an HT! However, I feel really good about it now. It ended up just being a cost/benefit analysis. I feel like the costs out weigh the benefits for the time being.

Also, although I do realize that you have to lose a decent amount of hair before you notice it, that doesn't mean there aren't any viable means of knowing/realizing when I'm losing hair. monitoring it closely isn't that burdensome.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen!

Corvettester

I think it's a wise decision as long as you keep it monitored.What method does Dr. Dorin check density and miniaturization?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I think it's a wise decision as long as you keep it monitored.What method does Dr. Dorin check density and miniaturization?

He looks it over in person and then compares the photos we've taken over the past 14 months...

Why, is there a better method?

Corvettester