7 Months & 1 Week, feeling pretty down

fakeplstctrees

I can't seem to get over this feeling of utter disappointment and despair. I examine my hair regularly, and the results at 7 months are just bringing me down, especially after seeing the posted photo's of Rahal's patient at 7 months. I have to style my hair just right, to conceal the true thin/baldness. These pics are more like pre-op than 7 months post-op. My doctor said 1500 grafts would provide the coverage I was seeking, and he has agreed to work with me on a second procedure, but I need to know how much of a discount I should expect. This is hardly a solid frontal third. I am just venting here I guess, but I feel so down about this. Even if I get an incredible deal on a second procedure, I really don't want to have to go through it all over again. It's a huge cost, and an emotional roller coaster. I know many of you have gone through the same thing, so you can relate to how I am feeling. Here are some pics I just took, some without styling, others with styling. Thank you my friends.

-Trees

5b32cf94b5d56_7Months1Weeklooksmorelikepre-op001.jpg.f861275ad0b6851a43b72183a0719b4a.jpg

5b32cf94d0bbf_7Months1Weeklooksmorelikepre-op002.jpg.ab300ff56b066bcd41c424bf84e62b71.jpg

5b32cf94dfe3f_7Months1Weeklooksmorelikepre-op003.jpg.3259524e9f8958e59bdf7d3dc19cffe5.jpg

5b32cf94f1769_7Months1Weeklooksmorelikepre-op007.jpg.fb5ad0cbaa711252160bfc7e45c412a4.jpg

2/14/2011 Surgery #1 Dr. Ivan Cohen - 1539 grafts, 1's - 475

2's - 989

3's - 75

2/20/2012 Surgery #2 Dr. Carlos Wesley - 2570 grafts

Hang in there man. Anything can happen between now and the 12 month mark. Everyone grows differently, some quicker then others. Sometimes medicines also react differently in people, some people respond well to Rogaine or propecia, some don't have much of a growth, some just can't take the meds. I can clearly see your frustration too. Remember that 7 month patient I think your talking about, had twice the number of grafts done than you did. If it's the right one I am thinking about, the 3200+ graft strip one. I had 3000+grafts for my area. I don't know how it will turn out yet, but i am very optimistic the next 12 months. I am taking medications, finisteride and rogaine too. I just started Rogaine today after I cleared it with the patient representative at Dr. Rahal's office if it was safe for me to do so.

At this point, the hair does look thin, but that can change, give it the full 12 months. I really feel if you discussed your outcome/goal with your doctor and if you do not get that result, you should clearly sit down and discuss this with him. I am sure if the doctor is a reputable one and a top doctor, they will rather make you happy then to see you sad. You trusted them and most doctors are critical of their work that they wont rest until they do a good job and make sure the patient is happy. Obviously, I am sure many people are looking at your photos and following your case closely. Do you have any pre-op photos, immediate post op photos as well you can post ? To see the work, placement, area worked on? You should post all that stuff next to these pics, it helps when looking at the 1500 grafts and where they were placed.

Yes.....it really comes down to the number of grafts you had vs. the area covered, combined with your hair characteristics. Comparing your procedure with Dr. Rahal,s patient with more than double the grafts is like comparing an apple to an orange. I really feel for you and understand your disappointment. Follow the advice that Sean gave you. I think you are going t o have to get comfortable with the fact that you will need another surgery to get what you desire. I know that is tough to come to grips with. Good luck with this. The good news is that it definitely looks like you can get the results you desire.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

The rahal results really piss me off ha ha. I'm happy for the patients but it's unbelieveable how fast they all grow but like has been forementioned rahal does cover small areas with a huge amount of grafts so we've got to be careful not to compare to them too much. Hope it works out geezer I'll be following your photos.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Thanks guys, Sean, I have numerous photo alums on my profile. I know the Rahal patient had more than twice my graft count, but it still makes you wish it was you, lol.

2's - 989

3's - 75

Tare are you saying that you had huge growth between 7 - 12 months?

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

The way you are cutting/styling your hair isn't helping. You might find a shorter cut with a layered look will help add some density. The longer hair you sport now only serves to pull the hair to the side revealing the thin spots. Have you been for a proper haircut since your HT?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

fakeplstctrees,

I took the time to go through this and your topic at 7 months post-op anniversary and wanted to offer my thoughts.

I'm sorry you don't feel that you've gotten the density you want at this stage. However, there are a few things you have to keep in mind. Firstly, you are only at 7 months post-op and have several months of growth and thickening to come. Secondly, 1500 grafts over a large balding area isn't going to provide you with the kind of density you're most likely hoping for. In reading your first post on the topic I linked back to, you were already aware of this going into your first procedure and knew that a second procedure would be necessary.

Being discouraged by your results so far doesn't mean that the procedure wasn't a success. In my opinion, in looking at the photos you presented immediately after surgery versus the ones at 7 months, you appear to be right on par. Most of the pictures you posted in your 7 month 1 week album show your hair wet and unstyled. Wet and unstyled hair will always appear thinner than when it's combed and dry.

It sounds like you started out with realistic expectations but honestly, you seem to be letting your emotions get the better of you. Hair restoration is a journey and most people with significant loss require more than one hair transplant procedure to meet their goals. It took me 5 years and 4 procedures to get to where I am today.

In my opinion, try to be patient, wait it out and continue on course for your second procedure when the time is right for you. Make sure you speak to your physician about meeting your immediate goals along with your long term goals. Working together with your physician will help you truly understand the process and make it easier to go through. Remember, you are not alone in your journey. Your physician and this community can help to guide you, especially since hundreds of our members have been there and know how it feels.

Keep your chin up, maintain realistic expectations and everything will work out.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks guys, Sean, I have numerous photo alums on my profile. I know the Rahal patient had more than twice my graft count, but it still makes you wish it was you, lol.

I had a chance to check them out. I can see it better now. I was checking out how the grafts were placed and in what areas. Hang in there, as others have said, wait it out and then make a conclusion. Try not to think about it too much. I know what you mean with the Rahal patient. Double the grafts and that was a hell of a result. I think most people would go crazy for that type of result.

From what I gather, you were willing to get more grafts to meet your goals but 1500 is what was given and you thought it was gonna do the trick basically and you realized you may need a second procedure but not this soon possibly due to the lack of growth you see so far. I know you don't want a second procedure, but at some point in time in the future you may have to. I may have to get another one too, but i sure don't expect one anytime soon. Maybe years ahead since I want to focus on my career. I don't know yet, only time can tell if I lose hairs in other areas, who knows. I do, however, expect my frontal result to be solid though, due to the number of grafts I got and my goals. That is because I addressed my goals in detail and said I want my frontal section done this way as I was worried about my forehead/frontal recession and etc. I planned my transplant carefully by analyzing a lot of things. Family history, showed hairlines of other patients I liked, addressed goals in very lengthy writeups/emails and etc. I got numerous quotes from various surgeons, people quoting me from 2500 to 3500 grafts.

I can completely understand what you are going through right about now and I hear your concerns, but again, try not to think about it until the next couple months. You have to wait it out until the day of final growth to come to a solid conclusion regarding your results. Your pictures in your album are very helpful, however, again I would suggest you put those photos next to your other photos because some people do not know they exist in your album. This way people can see the work and compare it too. It gives a good idea of the work done. Hopefully, it reaches your goals in the months ahead.

Does the photo you labelled 'end of month' in your February album show pretty much how you looked pre-op? If that's the case then your result does seem to be successful in terms of growth.

I saw the photos you took in your car last month where you said about it looking pretty good due to the lighting. Which it does. Have you looked into concealers? Obviously they're no substitute for hair and can be a bit of a hassle, but they can make a real difference and you could probably achieve with them what the lighting did for you in those photos. Or better.

Take a look at this thread.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/162089-my-toppik-hair-so-real-results-plus-my-hair-transplant-history.html

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

fakeplastictrees (good song by the way)....

You've gotten good yield for the amount of grafts you got. I don't like the design but you did get results. But if you really want Rahalesque results, then go to Rahal for your second procedure. Why go back to the doctor that disappointed you in the first place? I don't care if he offers you a discount or a free procedure. If you want elite results you have to go to an elite surgeon, period!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

It looks as if you had good growth and a clean surgery. But, for the front half to be dense you probably would have wanted 3500-4000 grafts. 1500 is probably what they would put in the first 3/4-1 inch of hairline. I'd go with at least another 2000 or more since you have fine hair. Who did your surgery, if you don't mind me asking?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I absolutely agree with AARON...I think you should at least consult with Dr. Rahal and see what he says...definitely can't hurt...and if you like what he says then I would give him a shot!

Mattj, thanks for the concealer advice, how does toppik stand up against perspiration and rain? The last thing I need is my "hair" running down my face, like Jason Alexander's character in Shallow Hal, lol. The photo you referenced does basically reflect my pre-op appearance, so I definitely have significant improvement since then, but not as much as I would like.

Aaron, glad another Radiohead fan is on here, I'm seeing them next week. As for consulting with Rahal, I would love to, but I am down in CT and that would require some serious traveling. Not to mention I just dropped some swerious coin back in February on my first procedure, and I doubt I could afford Dr. Rahal right now, one can only wish.

Hairthere, you think I should go shorter in my styling? I keep it longer to completely conceal my linear scar, but I think I can go shorter now. As for proper haircuts? Let me put it to you this way, my cousin is a stylist at Fekkai, he cuts my hair, I'll have him go shorter next time.

Everyone is so supportive, I love it. I plan on paying it forward. I just wish i had hair now, lol.

2's - 989

3's - 75

Mattj, thanks for the concealer advice, how does toppik stand up against perspiration and rain? The last thing I need is my "hair" running down my face, like Jason Alexander's character in Shallow Hal, lol. The photo you referenced does basically reflect my pre-op appearance, so I definitely have significant improvement since then, but not as much as I would like.

Aaron, glad another Radiohead fan is on here, I'm seeing them next week. As for consulting with Rahal, I would love to, but I am down in CT and that would require some serious traveling. Not to mention I just dropped some swerious coin back in February on my first procedure, and I doubt I could afford Dr. Rahal right now, one can only wish.

Hairthere, you think I should go shorter in my styling? I keep it longer to completely conceal my linear scar, but I think I can go shorter now. As for proper haircuts? Let me put it to you this way, my cousin is a stylist at Fekkai, he cuts my hair, I'll have him go shorter next time.

Everyone is so supportive, I love it. I plan on paying it forward. I just wish i had hair now, lol.

Toppik is a LIFE SAVER. If it wasn't for toppik, I would not have even felt comfortable stepping outside without a cap on. I think if you use it, grab the pump so it helps disperse it on your scalp evenly. It's available on ebay. It's an add on attachment to help spray your toppik on evenly. I was able to create artificial temples too with the pump attachment. I got really good at it. As for rain, yea, rainy days may make it drip down depending on HOW MUCH you cake on your scalp, even heavy sweat can possibly discolor it on sunny days. However, toppik does have a special spray you buy separately, that you spray on top of the fibers to have them stick to your skin, so they don't go crazy when it pours and lasts longer. Obviously, when it pours outside, i'd be under an umbrella, and if you are you shouldn't face any issues. Give it a shot, it will help relieve some of your worries until you reach full growth. Good luck.

As I've never used concealers myself, I asked this very question myself recently. There are some differing experiences to be found in this thread, starting near the bottom of the page and following onto the next:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/161094-wayne-rooney-new-transplant-8.html

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I have used concealers for a long time through heat waves to winter blizards and never did it run or look bad...at least not to me. Rain is tough but unless you get caught under a hurricane for hours you will be fine. I just put my head as far down as I can and run to my destination which hopefully is very close...it has never run or looked bad afterwards...just be conscious about it and you will be fine. Now going in a swimming pool is different...a pool will literally take it all off pretty much so avoid those as I learned the hard way one time lol.