1513 grafts to hairline 8 1/2 months post op

AdamAJ

Adam,

I don't find your result to be satisfactory. It's not dense enough and I notice a definite difference between your transplanted hair and your native hair. Of course, this could just be due to maturity reasons so it's best to hold off judgement for another couple of months.

There is no way that I would be satisfied with that amount of density though. It's see-through and no amount of maturity is going to change that, in my opinion. I imagine that you'll have to go back for another 1,500 to get any decent amount of density, unless of course, you want to use concealers...

Having said that, it doesn't look bad or like it is necessarily shoddy work. It just seems like something is off... like you're thinning or something.

Lastly, your case highlights perfectly my growing dissatisfaction with doctors only putting 1,500 grafts in the hairlines, temples and temple points of NW3s. It simply isn't enough! I really can't remember seeing a NW3 who had decent coverage with 1,500 grafts...

Hairlines need actual density. The illusion of density can be the goal for the midsection and crown. I think that the 1,000 grafts minimum per NW level rule is a good metric for a conservative approach. I think 1,500 grafts per NW level is a good aggressive approach. The next time I see a NW3 about to undergo a 1,500 graft procedure, I'm going to warn him against it.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

It is still early but it's not looking good. The hairs seemed to be angled in every which way and not in sync with your native hair. Fortunately, you still have a good head of hair so your situation is not dire. You might up needing some of those unnatural hairline grafts punched out in the future along with another session of 1K-2K.

For the time being, get on Fin if you are not on it already. The worse thing that could happen to you is having your hairloss accelerate. Also, make sure to go with an elite surgeon next time around.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Adam,

Although the 8 month mark is a good indicator of how your results may ultimate progress, keep in mind that at this point you still have several months (upwards of 4) to mature (at 8 months, you could only be near a 60% maturation rate).

Definitely make a full assessment at the 12 month mark, and keep us updated! Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Adam,

I don't find your result to be satisfactory. It's not dense enough and I notice a definite difference between your transplanted hair and you native hair. Of course, this could just be due to maturity reasons so it's best to hold off judgement for another couple of months.

There is no way that I would be satisfied with that amount of density though. It's see-through and no amount of maturity is going to change that, in my opinion. I imagine that you'll have to go back for another 1,500 to get any decent amount of density. Unless of course, you want to use concealers...

Having said that, it doesn't look bad or like it is necessarily shoddy work. It just seems like something is off... like you're thinning or something.

Lastly, your case highlights perfectly my growing dissatisfaction with doctors only putting 1,500 grafts in the hairlines, temples and temple points of NW3s. It simply isn't enough! I really can't remember seeing a NW3 who had decent coverage with 1,500 grafts...

Hairlines need actual density. The illusion of density can be the goal for the midsection and crown. I think that the 1,000 grafts minimum per NW level rule is a good metric for a conservative approach. I think 1,500 grafts per NW level is a good aggressive approach. The next time I see a NW3 about to undergo a 1,500 graft procedure, I'm going to warn him against it.

Corvettester

Corv

Great comment, agree with you. Thanks for the advice.

adam, you would be surprised at how much another 4-8 months will change the appearance of a HT in terms of both density and hair quality. I am over 18 months on my temple points and the hair quality is still improving. That being said, you do appear to have some large gaps up front. Refresh my memory, was this a strip or fue procedure?

Also, do you feel any new growth popping through? Sometimes you can feel it but not necessarily see it; especially in pictures.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

But look on the bright side, at least it DID grow and you didn't lose those 1500 grafts. I wouldn't go with Dr. Barusco next time though. If you want to stay in Florida you should seriously consider Dr. Charles or Dr. Rose.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

adam, just had a chance to look at your profile. So this is the second hairline procedure you've had done, making the total around 3k grafts, correct?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

both ht were strips....yes this is my 2nd for a total of about 3k....but it definitely been worth it for me.....before i had anything done i didnt even have a hairline and my temples were totally bald.....the first procedure he filled in the temples and made the hairline.....the 2nd we lowered the hairline and added more grafts to the temples.....i agree that im not even 9 months yet so i should wait and see how it looks at a year....which would be Jan 6th 2012

I think it looks kind of natural and like you will grown into it. Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Had the 1500 grafts (I'm guessing 2500 + hairs) actually grown I think he would be ok.

Packing a hairline with 3K grafts sounds great but what if you only have 6K donar hair and the crown starts to go ?

I just looked at your profile, you put ~1300 grafts in your hairline a month or so ago, are you saying you already know it won't provide the density you are looking for ?

Edited by Profoam

Had the 1500 grafts (I'm guessing 2500 + hairs) actually grown I think he would be ok.

Packing a hairline with 3K grafts sounds great but what if you only have 6K donar hair and the crown starts to go ?

I just looked at your profile, you put ~1300 grafts in your hairline a month or so ago, are you saying you already know it won't provide the density you are looking for ?

that is corvestor 2nd procedure Profoam...and i believe he has had around the same amount of grafts as me which is 3k.....also i think the majority of my grafts have grown....remember im only alittle over 8 and half months post op...a lot can change then....my doctor has told me already he will fix anything at the 1 year mark

that is corvestor 2nd procedure Profoam...and i believe he has had around the same amount of grafts as me which is 3k.....also i think the majority of my grafts have grown....remember im only alittle over 8 and half months post op...a lot can change then....my doctor has told me already he will fix anything at the 1 year mark

That's great, good luck

• 3 weeks later...

amazing how people get screwed,when you need a touch up thats a big fail,that person who said at least it grew is just another guy who will never admit HT are still far away from being great.Is everybody supost to have monney for touch up come on this is getting ridiculous.

Do you feel like you actually had the number of grafts put in that you were told? Do you think there was a lower than expected survival rate?

I dont think it looks bad, It is clearly less dense in some of the pictures than many would find acceptable, but I would not in any way consider it a disaster.

yes i know i got the number of grafts that they told me.....im very white as you see so it is tougher to achieve density when you have that skin to hair color ratio....but as ive said before after 2 hair transplants im totally look different....before my hairline was higher and really didnt even have a hairline....my temples were practically bald....my doctor has already told me once i go see im when im a year post op...if its still not as dense in some areas he will correct it...no charge...so im happy

yes i know i got the number of grafts that they told me.....im very white as you see so it is tougher to achieve density when you have that skin to hair color ratio....but as ive said before after 2 hair transplants im totally look different....before my hairline was higher and really didnt even have a hairline....my temples were practically bald....my doctor has already told me once i go see im when im a year post op...if its still not as dense in some areas he will correct it...no charge...so im happy

I just read your story and if I have this right you need to see a different DR.

This is your 2nd transplant and you have had about 3K grafts so far at age 27 ? Did the same Dr do the first HT ?

I don't want to get in an argument with you but who cares if the Dr is doing it again for free ? You only have so much donor hair and may well have used half of it already and will certainly be over half if you get another HT and thta's saying he didn't destroy some donor

You need to go see a DR Like Feller, Shapiro, H+W, Rahal and let them look at you before you let that guy touch you again.

You do realize MHR and Bosley are both hacks , correct ? Sure maybe a few of their DR's are ok but nothing like the Dr's I mentioned.

Again, I'm not going to argue with you but you need to see one of those DR's before you let that guy cut you again and see what is going on and how much donor hair you have left.

I'll leave you with this, I'm 42 and have just as much if not more hair than you, I have used 3K grafts so far and I worry about running out of donor hair someday.

You obviously found this forum after your last HT or I doubt you would have used MHR so now use the knowledge here and help yourself

edit

I just looked at your pics again, #15 I believe. Your scar appears to have been taken too high IMO

Edited by Profoam

Adam,

I had forgotten all about this thread...

I didn't realize that this was the 8 month result of your second HT when I made my original comment above. So if I understand correctly, this is the 8 month result of your second HT for a total of 3,000 grafts FUT?

If that is the case, then I have to say that I find your result even more dissatisfying. I thought that I was looking 1,500 grafts when in reality I was looking at what is supposed to be 3,000 grafts.

I understand that you're only 8 months post-op, but from what I have seen, most success cases are precocious. The late bloomers are few and far between. Further, at 8 months post-op, I would not expect to see too much new growth, if any. Therefore, I think it's fair to start making some tentative assumptions regarding your result.

Basically, I'd be surprised if you had an appreciable improvement upon your current result. If I'm right, I wouldn't go back to the same doctor if I were you. However, for your sake, let's hope I'm wrong...

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.