DrFeller (2007)Dr Devroye(2009)

Female HT

I am a female who has had two HTs, the first in 2007 with Dr Feller (2200 grafts) and the 2nd in 2009 with Dr Devroye (2285 grafts). The first was with excellent results in terms of hair growth. The second was done in September so its early days regarding what will happen..watch this space as I will post every month or so to update. I have also had an eyebrow transplant. In context of the shaping of the brow the results are apparent now. If you would like photos please pm me and I can send to you as they develop. However regarding the overall experience from start to finish my second HT with Dr Devroye was far more attentive, caring and gentle in every manner I can think of. Both Drs have excellent reputations but in terms of the experience of the whole process I personally found that Dr Devroyes office/ team was by far the better one, certainly for me but also I think for females in general and those people who appreciate extra care in how they are handled both before during and after the procedure. For example some obvious differences: the anaesthetic at Dr Devroye(Dr D)'s clinic is administered by two persons using syringes and not the automatic gun/ shot procedure at Dr Feller's. This halves the pain as the needle is gently insterted and then halves it again because it also halves the time with two people doing it. Lots of fluffy warm towels, a quietly diligent team who dont talk about what the latest score of the superbowl is whilst hovering inches from your head (yes sorry but this was Dr F's team!), soft music playing, and incredibly comfortable couches were what made my second HT completely different from the first. Whilst Dr Feller (Dr F ) is 1st rate at what he does, much of the procedure is performed by the Dr's team so its equally important to know what theyre like. Dr D's team use high magnification lenses to implant the grafts. This makes the work far more precise and the result is thus better (or at least one hopes!. Dr F's team did not use these when implanting the grafts... The other great thing about the procedure with Dr D was that he did not shave my head. Now (apart from my eyebrows) no one will know Ive had an HT since aftera week I will be able to wear my hair as normal. At present I am wearing the long hair away from the grafts so as not to interfere. Im happy to answer any queries anyone may have about either of my experiences.

I think its less of a taboo for a woman to have an HT anyway. Women dont genrally go bald, so it would be logical for a woman to do this, the same way as they wear make up.

Most men experience some type of hairloss, so its more acceptable for a man to go bald.

Very detailed write-up, though fairly damning to Dr. Feller from a more emotive, subjective standpoint. How did you happen up Dr. Feller and then to Dr. Devroye -- do you live close to either clinic? Either way, I hope your growth is equally as impressive the 2nd time around, and Dr. Devroye does great work so you don't need much hope anyways!

I'm actually unfamiliar with the pros (or cons?) of techs using magnification lenses implant the grafts, though I know a few clinics have stated to do so; if anyone knowledgeable in this area wouldn't mind a quick explanation if they pop in.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Female HT,

Im curious. If you are not dissatisfied with Dr. Feller's results, why did you feel the need to post comments that question both the integrity and competency of his staff? My procedure lasted 14 hours and nobody said a word. To be quite honest, I would have gladly welcomed a comment about the score of the superbowl. To me,It would have at least confirmed that the staff were not robots and, indeed, human! Dr. Feller is a recommended HT surgeon on this site. Unless you have a complaint about your 'results', I believe it is disingenuous to post comments that can, in many instances, confuse and mislead others!

Prezident

For starters, I think it's ok that FemaleHT offered a compare and contrast of her procedures with two different surgeons. Detail aside, it's obvious she simply felt more relaxed at Dr. Devroye's clinic.

However, in case anyone's confused, nothing in the above experience condemns Dr. Feller, his technicians, or his practice - even though some of it may have made her a little uncomfortable. Some technicians are talkers and others aren't. Some doctors are more hands on and others aren't. The important thing remains that all team players (physician and technicians) are careful in the harvesting/closing the donor and handling of the grafts. Since FemaleHT's results with Dr. Feller were optimal, clearly everything met his usual (and our) high standards.

Both Coalition physicians (Dr. Feller and Dr. Devroye) are reputable surgeons recommended by this community and have an excellent track record of producing quality results. I'm glad FemaleHT had great results with both doctors and it's ok that she felt more comfortable in Dr. Devroye's chair. After all, we all have our personal preferences right?

FemaleHT, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we'd love to see some before and after photos so we can truly appreciate your transformation. If you are concerned about showing your face, you can always use image editing sofware to block it. If you need help, let me know.

Best wishes,

Bill

Ya, to further what I initially said...I didn't mean to imply that FemaleHT slandered Dr. Feller untruthfully or shouldn't have written what she wrote -- it's simply what she felt, and that from a subjective standpoint she strongly preferred Dr. Devroye to Dr. Feller, the actual quality of work aside, which is obviously excellent from both physicians.

I do think it was a pretty harsh assessment of Dr. Feller's practice -- again, not his actual work, which FemaleHT made clear, as well. But, again, it is FemaleHTs experience and she shared it, so it is what is, IMHO.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thanks for the post FemaleHT!

I am new at this. I just joined the forum so forgive me if this question is naive.

I didn't know it was POSSIBLE to have a HT without shaving the recipient area! This has been one of the biggest reasons I have for not having the HT yet. I just can't imagine being at work with part or all of my head shaved. I wear a suit and tie to work so wearing some kind of hat isn't possible.

So what's the bottom line on having an HT without shaving the recipient area?

Originally posted by qpwoei:

I am new at this. I just joined the forum so forgive me if this question is naive.

I didn't know it was POSSIBLE to have a HT without shaving the recipient area! This has been one of the biggest reasons I have for not having the HT yet.

It varies from doctor to doctor. While some docs prefer to shave down, others don't, and I have seen excellent (and some sub-par) results from both types. So I don't think there are any hard and fast rules, and it might depend on the particular doctor's style/preference.

A bit on the defensive side. So she liked Dr. D's fluffy towels and music better, so what? I'm a Dr. F patient myself, and after a few recent threads, I hope I don't have a complaint because I'd be afraid that I would have to take some heat for it. Thankfully I'm happy with my results. Anyway, no need to be so defensive. You can't please everybody all the time. I would accept that more graciously. It reflects more better.

I see your point Spex. It just struck me that way at the time. I am at ~ 9 mos. Very nice improvement from 6 mos and hoping for more. Hair is starting to soften. It was a bit wiry for a while. The donor scar is impossible to find (at least I can't find it although I wear my hair fairly long). I had 2100 in front 1/3. Dr. F and his staff were excellent even without the towels and perfume. Anyway, I do think its very good to take the criticism, and the praise, with the same grace. I have been meaening to start a weblog with pics. MAybe soon.

Hi everybody,

Recently, I discovered the answers made to the post of FemaleHt.

First of all, let me say that the work of my colleague and friend, Dr Feller, was superb and undetectable... so discreet that at the beginning I did not notice that she had already had a previous transplant. The scar was almost invisible.

It is true that, as a matter of principle, I never shave the recipient area during woman transplants. I believe that a "trauma" linked to this shaving has to be avoided in women already worried by their lack of hair.

So far, I think that the goal of a hair transplant is, above all, to reach an excellent aesthetical result and a good regrowth.

There is no doubt on the fact that this is exactly what happened with Dr Allan Feller first surgery: an excellent aesthetical result and a good regrowth.

Moreover, I visited his office recently and I can attest the quality and the devotion of dr Feller and his team, as well as the very high quality of his work.

Dr Jean Devroye MD

Dr. Jean Devroye

HTS Clinic - Bruxelles

Email: info@hts-clinic.com 

Telephone: +32 2 880 70 60

Online consultation: https://www.hair-transplant-surgery.com/en/Online-diagnostic

Devroye Instruments: https://www.devroyeinstruments.com/

Dr. Devroye is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

Very detailed write-up, though fairly damning to Dr. Feller from a more emotive, subjective standpoint. How did you happen up Dr. Feller and then to Dr. Devroye -- do you live close to either clinic?

Hi thanatopsis_awry. I am not sure that my post is damning to Dr Feller. It is not intended to be. Its just an honest summary of what I experienced. Possibly countless others feel differently but not all are women (which I think makesa difference to your pain threshold) and not all have been to Dr Devroye so who can they compare to... BTW if you are interested in more information on the magnification lenses then it would be worthwhile to email Dr Devroyes office since they usually get back to you within 24 hours.

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

For starters, I think it's ok that FemaleHT offered a compare and contrast of her procedures with two different surgeons. Detail aside, it's obvious she simply felt more relaxed at Dr. Devroye's clinic.

However, in case anyone's confused, nothing in the above experience condemns Dr. Feller, his technicians, or his practice - even though some of it may have made her a little uncomfortable. Some technicians are talkers and others aren't. Some doctors are more hands on and others aren't. The important thing remains that all team players (physician and technicians) are careful in the harvesting/closing the donor and handling of the grafts. Since FemaleHT's results with Dr. Feller were optimal, clearly everything met his usual (and our) high standards.

Both Coalition physicians (Dr. Feller and Dr. Devroye) are reputable surgeons recommended by this community and have an excellent track record of producing quality results. I'm glad FemaleHT had great results with both doctors and it's ok that she felt more comfortable in Dr. Devroye's chair. After all, we all have our personal preferences right?

FemaleHT, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we'd love to see some before and after photos so we can truly appreciate your transformation. If you are concerned about showing your face, you can always use image editing sofware to block it. If you need help, let me know.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thank you Bill. I am glad you take a more rational view of my opinions- afterall this forum is not a showcase for Dr's reps but a place where new patients can update the readers on the most recent experiences out there. I dont want to annoy or offend and if that is the result then I would happily post elsewhere. Re: photos for the hair- I have some for my eyebrows. Not for my scalp. I am currently wearing extensions but hope to take and post my 3 month views in January when the extensions come out- especially if there are further requests for my particular case.

Originally posted by qpwoei:

Thanks for the post FemaleHT!

I didn't know it was POSSIBLE to have a HT without shaving the recipient area! This has been one of the biggest reasons I have for not having the HT yet. I just can't imagine being at work with part or all of my head shaved. I wear a suit and tie to work so wearing some kind of hat isn't possible.

Hi qpwoei. I guess the bottom line is that you may sacrifice a little of the perfection that Docs who PREFER TO SHAVE say comes with placing hairs in a shaved and therefore more exposed area- ie. so you can see exactly the direction/ angle of the grafts which I guess would be more important for men since you wear your hair short. BUT if youare using these magnification lenses then it should not really make as much difference but since this is a technical one you are better off asking your doctor why they prefer to use the method they do.

Originally posted by kydd3:

A bit on the defensive side. So she liked Dr. D's fluffy towels and music better, so what? I'm a Dr. F patient myself, and after a few recent threads, I hope I don't have a complaint because I'd be afraid that I would have to take some heat for it. Thankfully I'm happy with my results. Anyway, no need to be so defensive. You can't please everybody all the time. I would accept that more graciously. It reflects more better.

I guess the thing is that its not as much about being gracious as about telling it as it is which I believe I tried to do. I will say again that Dr Feller's results were excellent but I am talking about the experience I had whilst he was not there. And I will categorically say that I do think Dr Devroyes team was superior in treatment, handling, and etiquette too since we are on the topic!

Hey Qpwoei

Both Dr Keene and Dr Panine don't shave my recipient areas. I've been I could have been shaved, making the incision/placements of the grafts easier for the physician/technicians, but it wasn't mandatory; just more time consuming to get in between existing grafts. And I usually keep my hair a bit longer (couple of inches).

Dr Panine thought my previous work done by Dr Keene was excellent. He actually did a double take and repeated again that her work was excellent. Again, she didn't shave my recipient area and I got great results.

Hope that helps with my own experience.

Originally posted by prezident:

Female HT,

Im curious. If you are not dissatisfied with Dr. Feller's results, why did you feel the need to post comments that question both the integrity and competency of his staff? My procedure lasted 14 hours and nobody said a word. To be quite honest, I would have gladly welcomed a comment about the score of the superbowl. To me,It would have at least confirmed that the staff were not robots and, indeed, human! Dr. Feller is a recommended HT surgeon on this site. Unless you have a complaint about your 'results', I believe it is disingenuous to post comments that can, in many instances, confuse and mislead others!

Prezident

Prezident, I would not post anything if it was misleading- on the contrary if I were an objective reader (ie. not an ex-patient of Dr Fellers or Dr Devroyes) I would read this and think hhhmm..Dr Feller is ofcourse outstanding, Dr Devroyes results are still in the making but this person clearly preferred the overall experience of Dr Devroye's team/ office. But I think your reaction to my post will indeed confuse others. There are people out there to whom this information will be relevant. If you re-read it as an OBJECTIVE person you will find there is very little to mislead in it, thanks.

I just want to thank Female HT for posting her experiences as it seems that there are not that many females that post. I am looking into an eyebrow transplant myself so it's great to hear from someone who has actually had one and will post her progress. Dr. Devroye has posted the best eyebrow results thus far.

I also wanted to state my disgust at Spex for sharing Female HT's personal information. Is that even legal? I was considering a consult with Dr. Feller but this post along with others (many others) has convinced me that Dr. Feller's clinic would not be a place were I would want to go. Most clinics still cater primarily to men and don't see the importance that care and attention can play in an overall HT experience. Women usually have smaller procedures so that also means that hey are less lucrative. Often times females are not treated as well because they are not spending as much money. It is much more of a taboo for a women to have a hair transplant than a man (sorry Sparky have to disagree with you on that one). It is also so much more important for the transplant to be undetectable because the last thing you want to be is the woman who looks like she has had a hair transplant. I don't want to attack anyone here but this is an open forum so Female HT should have every right to post what she feels without being attacked and have her personal information posted on-line. Women do not want to go to a place were they are treated poorly or made to feel like they are not getting the attention that they need. This is surgery after all!!!

PLEASE SEE FEMALE HT's REPLIES IN ITALICS

Originally posted by spex:

I hardly feel this write up from FemaleHT will in anyway harm Dr Fellers hard and long earnt reputation for being an elite surgeon and providing his patients with excellent patient care

I will also repeat for clarity's sake that I think Dr Fellers work is excellent and I am very happy with the results.

FemaleHT has selectively chosen to refrain from mentioning the real reasons why she didn't return to Dr Feller. The patient herself commented on the excellent result Dr Feller provided (publicly here and privately via email) which fundamentally should be the main focus here although since this has been bought to my attention i feel it important to give further info to the viewers in order for them to have further info so not completely misinformed and mislead. I think certain facts will enable viewers to form a more informed opinion.

Yes I would always prefer to go back to a place where I had good results but that was before the experience with Dr Devroye.

The feel good factor is nice for clinics to provide but FemaleHT didn't return to Dr Feller for a second surgery because of the lack of white towels, scented candles or because he doesn't play Enya or that because his very experienced Techs actually spoke during the surgery - on the contrary - she desperately requested a second HT on numerous occasions very recently with Dr Feller - but Dr Feller denied FemaleHT a second surgery as felt it highly inappropriate for further HT surgery ( Due to limitations caused by the first HT and other unrelated HT surgeries prior to her first HT) to be performed on her and did not want the patient to be put at any potential risk.

Yes this is the reply I received after two months of lengthy liasing and being told at least 14 times to call back later. I can provide these emails to anybody who might wish to see them or indeed a copy of my phone bill! But what exactly is this relevant to? Again my second experience was more pleasant but I am not saying that everyone should prefer it. Its only my opinion and I am sorry that I can not state it without being told that it is unnecessary.

I am very happy that Female HT had a nice experience with Dr D and that she was made very comforatable. Although i find it somewhat strange that she would paint Dr Feller (and his very experienced staff) in such a poor light since only recently we were in contact and you were extremely happy with your results (i have all the email correspondence) so much so requested a second procedure with the doc to attempt to advance you situ even further - However as we know he turned you down a second session as he felt it highly inappropriate and risky due to your previous other surgeries (HT and non HT related) Even after Dr Feller denied you another HT you continued to request quite determinedly another session. Dr Feller informed you and advised against more HT surgery as only had your best interest at heart - I truly hope that due to his rejection of a second session due to his opinion on your personal situation that you do not want to take your frustration out on him here publicly as you never once mentioned any of your issues with the doc and his staff when trying to book a second session very recently.

I think I have made my reasons for my post clear- also in my other replies. I will not create an equally lengthy post but simply say that I am disappointed that Spex can not see the value of someone giving a direct comparison particularly when it has been made quite clear that I am not in any way discussing the quality of Dr Feller's work which for me was excellent.

Obviously you decided to go against Dr Feller since his refusal of another surgery with him. I am only glad you felt your HT with him was a success as mentioned here and on email correspondence - a shame i suppose you could not share that success with us all here sooner yet instead felt compelled to vent your frustration towards the doc here publicly for others to view but without all the facts.

I think your comments are unfair as I have not said anything about the Doctor.

Dr D i assume felt you were still eligible and was prepared to perform on you at short notice and i hope everything works out ok for you nevertheless.

Also to clear up other misleading info - Dr Feller does NOT use an "automatic gun" to administer the local anaesthetic and i have never heard of such a thing - You have falsely informed readers here. Also he is the only one who administers the anaesthetic as is the only Doctor at Feller medical. - pain thresholds can vary from patient to patient as is commonly known. I can assure you the doc doesn't intentionally inflict pain on administering the anaesthetic shots.

And I cant see why any doctor would intentionally inflict pain. Again this is what MY PERSONAL experience was. And in your lengthy post you do not care to elaborate on what method is used to administer the shots? It is definitely not the same method as Dr Devroye's - am I not entitled to talk about this?

All the best with your recent surgery and i hope that it turns out as well as the first for you but just felt it important to give readers all the information

Spex

This is the first time I have seen this thread. I did find some people were over critical of Female HT post, all that aside it is clear she is very happy with Dr. Feller's work, this is the most important thing.

Jacky,

I just want to comment on a few of your remarks.

Most clinics still cater primarily to men and don't see the importance that care and attention can play in an overall HT experience.

Although most if not all transplant clinics will see more men than women, I don't believe they fail to recognise the importance of care and attention towards all patients. There will be differences in every clinic, had Female HT not visited another clinic it is possible she would have been perfectly happy with her experience at Dr. Feller's. After visiting another clinic she was able to compare the two and on reflection she felt better treated at her second clinic, that isn't to say she wasn't very well treated at Dr. Feller's.

Women usually have smaller procedures so that also means that hey are less lucrative. Often times females are not treated as well because they are not spending as much money.

Many men have small procedures, too. To suggest any clinic, at least any clinic on this site, would treat a man or woman differently because they are spending less money is absolutely ridiculous; Doctors have a duty to their patients.

It is much more of a taboo for a women to have a hair transplant than a man

It may be less common, but I wouldn't say it is more taboo. Most men will face some form of heckling/comments from friends and work colleagues if they found out a transplant had been performed. I may be wrong, but I very much doubt a woman who had a transplant performed would have to deal with comments such as "look! baldy's got new hair!" being shouted in a bar, or a friend shouting "I hope your transplant doesn't come out while you're swimming" in the changing rooms, or people at work whispering "look! there's the bald guy with new hair!" (such comments and experiences are common with male patients).

I'm sure women will face jokes, comments and bitching also, but I very much doubt on the same scale. Again, I may be wrong but I believe males are a lot more vocal when it comes to mocking their friends and male colleagues - at least in the UK.

It is also so much more important for the transplant to be undetectable because the last thing you want to be is the woman who looks like she has had a hair transplant

What makes you think it is more important for a transplant to be undetectable in females? It is without a doubt just as important to males for the work to be undectable for the exact same reason you mentioned. What makes you think we want to look like the man that's had a transplant?

I was going to edit my first post, however, it's becoming rather long.

Jacky - It's a shame you have written Dr. Feller off as a result of this post.

As for your "disgust" in Spex's post regarding him presenting specifics of the case. I'm sorry you feel this way, but you have to realise that it was in response to female HT's post - it is Spex's duty to defend his clinic and to share details that were left out which are relevant to the case.

Although I didn't find female HT's comments damning or damaging to the clinic, others did (though I realise this wasn't her intention). She also made comments regarding the use of a gun to administer the anaesthetic, if this wasn't the case, I believe Spex has every right to correct her.

Additionally, female HT didn't state the reason for having her second procedure elsewhere. One could assume that the reason was due to her dissatisfaction with Dr.Fellers' clinic for the reasons she outlined, but this wasn't the case and the real reason, being that Dr. Feller had turned her down. I believe Spex has the right to explain this to readers of the thread.

Female HT's post left out vital information which could lead readers to make their own assumptions about the situation, which in turn could have a negative effect on Dr. Feller, as seems to be the case with you. Do you not feel Spex had little option but too inform readers of this?

Jacky,

What you may not realize is that just as patients are welcome to share their genuine opinions and experiences on this forum, to keep this forum fair and safe for all parties, physicians/clinics are also invited to share their side of the story when they feel it's appropriate. This is clearly outlined on the discussion thread "Maintaining a Fair and Safe Environment on our Forum for Patients and Physicians.

In order for a physician/clinic to share certain information, they must obtain permission from the actual patient. However, I don't recall Spex sharing anything overly personal or confidential. Obtaining the necessary permission a clinic needs to post certain personal information is always left up to the clinic. The publishers of this community only intervene if a patient refused to let their doctor share their side of the story.

Open communication and balance is what this forum is all about. This forum is open to anyone who wants to share their genuine experiences, which includes patients and clinics.

Your personal choice on a surgeon is up to you. However, I trust in both Dr. Feller's and Dr. Devroye's ability to provide excellent results and abundant care to their patients.

All the Best,

Bill