HT patients who shave thier head

I'm not sure if this subject was brought up before, it is very common question, but unfortunately i don't seem to find any accurate answer neither here or on Google.

Is there anybody here who shave their head after an HT (FUE or FUT "with improved scar either from laser treatment or FUE session")

I really hope anybody can upload pictures so members of the community can see for themselves how would the FUT scar or FUE little dot scars look on a shaved head.

I am sure most people when going through an HT, they want to enjoy their hair and never shave it, but let's face it, we have a limited donor supply, and medicines don’t work for everybody while losing hair is progressive, so some people would keep losing native hair and end up with no decision but to shave due to their limited donor supply or tight budget.

Now if this happen, how would the scars look exactly, I wish I can hear from people who experience that, cause I don’t trust most of the photos I find on Google since anybody can play with them.

Will appreciate the feedback from any FUE, FUT patient.

Here is an example of someone who had an FUE with a shaved head at 7 days and 14 days. It gets a little bit longer after 14 days but the 7 day photos really show it well during the healing process.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160555-dr-dorin-hairline-fue-14-days.html

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

it looks really good in the pic, even at 7 days i don't think anybody can tell that he got HT, it does show some redness but i assume ppl will think that he just got some zits or whatever, but i don't think they can tell it's an HT.

but again i wonder if it looks that good in real, as you know pictures can be deceiving.

Thanks for this example, hope we can get more by other members.

Regards,

The redness very closely resembles the redness and pinkness that form on top of the head or recipient area. The donor area where the FUE is taken is much less noticeable because of the surrounding native hair, and usually not very noticeable after a week.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr. Dorin FUE work looks very good. do you have examples of 2500+ grafts ? i just wonder how would the donor area looks with a big number of grafts taken and would shaving be an option in the future.

This is a recent example of Dr. Dorin and Dr. True working together on a large FUE case and the photos are the following day post surgery. I should be able to get some additional photos of healing in a few days.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/161696-dr-dorin-dr-true-2-day-2475-fue-pre-post-op.html

There is a patient I've seen in person who has had over 8000 fue grafts. I've seen his hair shaved to a #1 guard and can't see any scarring on his head. It's harder to look so closely at my own head but I will buzz the sides to a one guard some times and people say they see no scarring.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

8000?? wow, that is impressive, do u know who did his HT?

I have never seen anybody with FUE or FUT scars in person, but I think the good thing about FUE is that even if ppl notice some dots or whatever they might think that the way your skin is and not even view them as scars or think of HTs.

I was looking around for more pictures and examples and i came across those images of somebody who had FUE only. to be honest, this does not look good at all in my opinion, it may even look worst that the strip scar, since it's all over the head and it looks like a skin disease or something, please check the images and let me know what you think.

Is this normal ? or maybe this was done long time ago when FUE started and nowadays FUE scars don't look like that any more

5b32ceedcf300_Headshots0101.jpg.b993718f0219f92612ab715266568012.jpg

DSC003331.jpg.6792dee81b0553da5d06f29ccba9e55f.jpg

DSC00334.jpg.94b8473d1ffdd0dc33f957d75cefca25.jpg

FUE is noticeable if you completely shave off all your hair like you see here, but if you shave to a level 1 you will not see them. These also look very fresh so they may not have had an opportunity to heal properly.

Aim4hiar,

the results in those pics are not typical. In fact, Im not sure thats from fue, at least not with the punch sizes currently used. If I sent you a link by pm of a guy who posts on a different forum that I thought you might like to see. I didnt think it appropriate to post the link publicly since its not from this forum. Were you able to open it?

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Thanks for the link Levrais, that looks amazing.. i knew those pictures do not look right. since the scars are way big that i think they will be way noticeable even with level 1 or 2 buzz.

I am not sure about the punch that was used but the guy says he had it back in 2006 somewhere in india. i think it all depends on who perform the FUE and the punch size which is being used.

Here are the updated photos for the FUE patient after 11 days, follow the link below.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/161696-dr-dorin-dr-true-2-day-2475-fue-pre-post-op.html#post2274378

Aim4hair,

The punch sizes are definately smaller for FUE procedures than they were back in 2006. The example you posted is not a typical FUE donor result. I agree that it looks really bad. Most patients don't shave down to a zero guard after a ht procedure. You should be able to sport a #1 or #2 guard after a FUE procedure without detecting any scarring and #3 guard for FUT procedure (possibly #2 if patient is fortunate).

Here is an example of FUE donor healing at Day of Surgery and 5 Days Post op:

Slide1.jpg.1582341d3191948c06afc9188bd034b4.jpg

Thehairupthere , thanks for the update, the result looks amazing so far, please keep us updated, this is really an excellent job.

Janna, thanks for the example, it really shows the different and i think you are right, FUE has advances in the past couple of years. so im glad that with top doctors we will not see a bad example like the one i posted earlier.

NEWHAIRPLEASE, I know nobody wants to shave after an HT. but as you know male pattern baldness is progressive, and nobody knows what the future holds, so even after the HT, you might keep losing your native hair (even if you use medications) and of course you can do more HTs but again we all know that donor supply is limited so you might run out of grafts or out of budget , and in this case the only solution will be to shave or buzz and move on (if there is nothing else you can do about it due to lack of grafts or money). so in my opinion it's good to hope for the best but also plan for the worst.

And you can take a look at hair loss forums and you will see many HT patients end up shaving even if they have scars since they got no other options.

You might find it odd for people to shave their head after HT, but actually a lot of people prefer Jamie Foxx, Will Smith type of hairstyle, you know, they get their full head of hear and then they cut it off. Not completely to zero of course, but to around 1-3 cm.

I would but I think it would be pointless to shave after a HT. Why not shave before and save money?

No comparison. Buzzing down an HT to zero guard makes all the sense in the world for a balding guy. If the hair is strategically placed to break up the empty forehead by defining a hairline and temples, and then gradually faded its a great solution for a guy with little available hair for donor. The hair sits under the skin and creates a shadow. A lotta people say FUE is no good for NW6s etc, but for this reason I think it is good, because the buzz can be done (even if it is a shade longer at the back)

I think in future years, we will see a lot of guys will plan to both have an HT AND shave their heads and quite a few will look better for it. I'm not saying I like the hairstyle itself, but a horseshoe shadow sucks big time in color contrast situations.

I had a consultation 3 days ago with a local non recommended dr. in town. he does FUE and FUT but he was so into FUT and trying to convince me to change my mind and go with FUT instead of FUE, he even went as far as telling me FUE scars will look way worst when you buzz to 0 (with no guards) than FUT scar.

I would have respected his opinion if he talked about other advantages of FUT such as price, having more grafts in one session, or yields growth (which i believe should be similar in the hands of top doctors), but to say that FUE scars will look worst than FUT, this is too much!!

No comparison. Buzzing down an HT to zero guard makes all the sense in the world for a balding guy. If the hair is strategically placed to break up the empty forehead by defining a hairline and temples, and then gradually faded its a great solution for a guy with little available hair for donor. The hair sits under the skin and creates a shadow. A lotta people say FUE is no good for NW6s etc, but for this reason I think it is good, because the buzz can be done (even if it is a shade longer at the back)

I think in future years, we will see a lot of guys will plan to both have an HT AND shave their heads and quite a few will look better for it. I'm not saying I like the hairstyle itself, but a horseshoe shadow sucks big time in color contrast situations.

This is so true!!!

I've recently seen a coworker do this and it looks really awesome. It totally changed my mind. He got FUE to define his hairline (frame his face), then buzzed down. He doesn't have to care about the crown since the hairline shadow is what defines your Look & Age. It looks so much better and is much easier than people who have to fight every 5 years to get HT after HT since they can't buzz down anymore and are headed for norwood 5+.

Getting a HT to frame your face then buzzing down makes you look young and dangerous =P. Of course, buzzing down WITHOUT a decent hairline shadow makes you look old.

Even observing older guys with thinning crowns who shave their heads, as long as the hairline is well defined, it makes it seem as if they shaved their heads by choice, not by circumstance.

Anyways, this is something i'm gonna do since it looks cooler and its mentally draining thinking about needing multiple HTs in the future.

Edited by cool2dunk

I've pulled off this look before. It works and while my donor looks thin shaved in certain spots where too much fue was done overall the contrast of the horseshoe and the hairs in the recipient area has lessened because of all the fue. So there is an illusion that I'm less bald when shaved.

so let's say somebody is aiming toward that look (defined hairline and temple), wouldn't it be better to do BHT (use beard hair or body hair) instead of FUE, and then have the option to buzz it as short as 0 guard. I know that hair body does not have the same quality as donor hair but if the person is planning to keep it buzzed and he only aims to frame his face, would body hair look that bad, i don't know but i feel like with buzzed hair maybe the quality of hair does not really matter as long as the hairline and temple have the good defined look.

Im only saying that because i read many people on different forums aiming for that look but afraid that the FUE scars would not let them buzz as short as they want...

what do you guys think ???

so let's say somebody is aiming toward that look (defined hairline and temple), wouldn't it be better to do BHT (use beard hair or body hair) instead of FUE, and then have the option to buzz it as short as 0 guard. I know that hair body does not have the same quality as donor hair but if the person is planning to keep it buzzed and he only aims to frame his face, would body hair look that bad, i don't know but i feel like with buzzed hair maybe the quality of hair does not really matter as long as the hairline and temple have the good defined look.

Im only saying that because i read many people on different forums aiming for that look but afraid that the FUE scars would not let them buzz as short as they want...

what do you guys think ???

I think with body hair, not everyone has the right characteristics for it to be extracted and implanted. If you have the right characteristics, then I have seen it used as filler hair or mix/match with beard hairs. Body hair is mostly done one hair at a time ( single hairs ). I've seen results where it was used to as an enhancement towards the hairline and temples, like to soften the hairline. Using it stand-alone where there is no hair at all, might not look right. Since, the caliber, consistency, and etc is different.

But if the right surgeon can mix and match body hair with beard hairs, and using very little hair from the scalp to preserve as much donor as possible, then I think it is a very valuable way to save some crucial donor supply for those needing high graft surgeries or repair cases.

You know another thing to think about is, that body hair and beard hair has different resting phase then scalp hair and different growth cycles from what I have read. So say if you do get a transplant by utilizing only body hair, what if shedding, resting is at different phases then your scalp hairs, what would happen? Would the result look off even if you shave?

I have also read, that body hair may fall out or thin with the use of propecia or with rogaine for some reason, I do not know if I am accurate on that, but I could have sworn I read that somewhere.

But hey, if it's possible for a short hair look with shaved head, and if there are no issues using it, then I think it's a great idea. But I guess it's great if you intend to have the shave look forever, because once you let it grow, it would look different.

I hope some surgeons that used body hair and/or beard hair can chime in on this and explain if they have had any success or what they think about the idea overall.

I know I have seen Dr. Umar's results with it and he seems to have had a great amount of success with it according to the results he has shown and what his patients have stated.

This is so true!!!

I've recently seen a coworker do this and it looks really awesome. It totally changed my mind. He got FUE to define his hairline (frame his face), then buzzed down. He doesn't have to care about the crown since the hairline shadow is what defines your Look & Age. It looks so much better and is much easier than people who have to fight every 5 years to get HT after HT since they can't buzz down anymore and are headed for norwood 5+.

Getting a HT to frame your face then buzzing down makes you look young and dangerous =P. Of course, buzzing down WITHOUT a decent hairline shadow makes you look old.

Even observing older guys with thinning crowns who shave their heads, as long as the hairline is well defined, it makes it seem as if they shaved their heads by choice, not by circumstance.

Anyways, this is something i'm gonna do since it looks cooler and its mentally draining thinking about needing multiple HTs in the future.

I also agree with that and I'm one of the people that looks for that!!

I've been buzzing my hair for a year now and eventhough i'm thinning at nw5a, everyone says "why are you keeping your hair that short? you got plenty." But I hate my frontal because I've deep temporal recession.

Check out Josep Guardiola, head coach of FC Barcelona , he is nw5-6 thinning but he pulls that off with a hairline.

5b32cefc1d6f9_JosepGuardiolaFCBarcelonaPressConference8J3RWl43X5ul.jpg.5d7edc501cdb3759819cf45d99605368.jpg

5b32cefc56adb_JosepGuardiolaBarcelonavValenciaLaLigafFamVdNG-bEl.jpg.e5961d52884f4a74d0352fb55f6ae647.jpg