Do different hairloss forums have certain bias'?

It seems like certain hairloss forums side more towards certain procedures/doctors.

This website seems to be very favourable/reassuring regarding strip method and doctors.

But "hairlosshelp" seems to have 90% of people totally against the strip method, favour FUE and have lots of horror stories about their strip scars everytime someone is seeking information between the two.

Do a search of their forums and you'll see people totally against strip, where here its more open.

Any reason? Is it because different websites take sides with certain doctors and such?

Gotta admit, what I read on hairlosshelp has really gotten me scared about strip scars, and they even question the yield difference.

Edited by patwillpat1

So this is my first post here, but I am a loooong time lurker. Although I cant speak for hairlosshelp because I haven't frequented that site, I don't believe this site to be biased towards strip procedures. In fact I believe this site to be one of, if not the best objective hair loss sites in existence. There are many examples of fue & fut procedures on this site, and each procedure has it's advantages and disadvantages. An fue procedure is generally going to be smaller in number of grafts harvested compared to an fut procedure, so for individuals with greater degrees of hair loss it is usually not an option. A fue procedure will however minimize, if not eliminate, the scars in the donor area. The fut, or strip procedure, is going to be able to harvest a greater number of grafts. It will however leave a larger scar in the donor area. However, in the hands of a quality surgeon the scar is greatly minimized, if not invisible. Aside from a handful of doctors represented on this site most of the recommended doctors perform both procedures. So the bias you precieve may have more to due with the patients represented on the forums more than the administers or the doctors.

Edited by greatjob

patwillpat1,

Welcome! I think you'll find, the more you look around here, that both FUE and FUT are well represented. While some of the hair restoration physicians recommended by the Hair Transplant Network perfrom only follicular unit transplantation (strip procedure), others offer both procedures. However, you will notice that the physicians who are highly skilled in both techniques will agree that FUT is a better option for the majority of hair loss sufferers due to the larger possible session sizes, greater average yield and lower cost.

Some people falsely believe follicular unit extraction to be a "scarless" procedure. The potential is certainly there to offer patients the possibility of wearing their hair much shorter due to the lack of a linear scar but just how little scarring will develop from FUE will vary, like so many other aspects of hair transplant surgery.

Patients should certainly consider and weigh all of their options. Seeking the professional opinion of surgeons who are skilled in and offer both procedures will help determine which is the best option for you.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

patwillpat1,

......you will notice that the physicians who are highly skilled in both techniques will agree that FUT is a better option for the majority of hair loss sufferers...,

Well, Pat, (he says respectfully) you have the answer right there.

Needless, to say I disagree. Strip scars are not a good idea for ANY balding men period IMO.

But I also disagree with your assessment of hairlosshelp being pro FUE. In fact so much so, I question your motive for suggesting it. (I mean that sincerely)

The bias towards strip is prevalent not only because a forum's advertising revenue is drawn from income generated through strip procedures, but also through patients reconciling themselves and their decisions to have strip, and the never ending warnings about FUE not being scarless, when in fact, if performed properly should be almost "cosmetically scarless" if that makes sense.

But the yield warnings are fair IMO.

Where are the FUE only clinics represented? Not represented. Now there maybe good reasons for this, but whatever they are, they tilt the equation in favour of strip.

We have composite clinics that perform both, but remember a composite clinic survives on strip income and is set up to perform strip primarily. Furthermore, doctors personally prefer to do strip. (Of course they say otherwise)

Then a patient wants fast results. Fast results suit forums!! Strip is the go for that if the goal is big. I vehemently disagree and say take a slow and steady approach with FUE, but that is beside the point. Who wants to read a ten year story that begins with 6 tiny FUEs spread over five years. On the otherhand, you have the overnight transformations with these big strips that make great forum reading.

Until, we reach that tipping point (if ever we will) when we have FUE results that are ten to fifteen year old stories that highlight the merits of FUE and until the FUE only clinics stop their squabbling or whatever, strip will rule the internet and we will be forever recycling the same old arguments and it will appear that forums (at least American based) are biased to strip.

Having said that, read between the lines, and glean the gold from the rock.

But I also disagree with your assessment of hairlosshelp being pro FUE. In fact so much so, I question your motive for suggesting it. (I mean that sincerely)

sorry...I probably shouldn't say pro FUE, but hairlosshelp definitely seems more anti-strip than here. When first doing research, I found this forum and felt very comfortable with strip (due to yield size). Then I found hairlosshelp and upon searching/reading that forum, I see a lot more posts about how posters regret ever doing strip, how it ruined their life and how they suggest FUE should be the ONLY choice in this day and age. Maybe its just a few users with bad experiences spreading scare tactics, I don't know....but that scared me A LOT and really made me split.

Its pretty prevalent searching their forums.

Strip is NOT better than FUE. FUE is NOT better than strip. The fact of the matter is that few people who have had high quality strip procedures complain about the scar and the limitations of the surgery.

Blanket statements about each method are absurd and illogical. Simply because a person is high on the Norwood scale does not mean that he is only a candidate for strip. Likewise, a patient with very minimal balding and requiring only 1,000 grafts is not just a candidate for FUE. If a person is aware of the pros and cons of each procedure, then he should undergo whichever surgery he believes suits him best.

I would not be so bold as to say that this forum has a strip agenda, because I honestly do not believe that to be the case. I think this forum is very fair. What I will say, however, is that many people on this site do not seem to appreciate the long term possible benefits of FUE.

Pat, fair enough. I think you might notice that HLH has some FUE only sponsors. (I don't think they are called that but that is what I think of them as they pay the rent) I think this must make some sort of difference. These clinics and their docs are allowed to comment directly on the boards, so naturally there will be a small fan-base and positive/curious posters in conversation with them as well as straight up shills, who are waiting with prepared statements and testimonials for a chance to 'defend (=promote) their' clinic.

Edited by scar5
I added, 'Pat' up top, didn't see TCs post

I used hairloss help for 8 years, it was my favourite site to be honest, i found it to be a bit of everything and never thought of it as fue only but unfortunately a couple of years ago people stopped posting on there for political reasons so i looked further a field when i found this site imo this is the best site i've ever used it has all the old wise owls posting still who i learn't a thing or 2 from many years ago and i like the format of the site and how to use it.

If anything hairsite is quite fue based i still go on there sometimes but it doesn't seem to have as much traffic as here.

I got to admit some Drs who are hated here to the point we're not allowed to even say there name are worshipped on other sites and i find that very odd but i suppose it's like if someone from your family had a bad experience with a dr then the whole house hates the dr so i'd imagine thats what happens here with forum communitys!

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Strip is NOT better than FUE. FUE is NOT better than strip. The fact of the matter is that few people who have had high quality strip procedures complain about the scar and the limitations of the surgery.

Blanket statements about each method are absurd and illogical. Simply because a person is high on the Norwood scale does not mean that he is only a candidate for strip. Likewise, a patient with very minimal balding and requiring only 1,000 grafts is not just a candidate for FUE. If a person is aware of the pros and cons of each procedure, then he should undergo whichever surgery he believes suits him best.

Nicely stated.

Like TC said, there is a time and place for both procedures and blanket statements and categorizing patients rarely hold any merit when it comes to surgical procedures (especially cosmetic ones).

As far as our site having a "strip agenda," I really don't think this is the case. We recommend a variety of surgeons who regularly perform both procedures and many of these physicians are on the cutting-edge of FUE evolution and practice.

Think about the number of physicians on our forum who have successfully created FUE extraction devices that are used by dozens of hair transplant surgeons all over the US. Furthermore, the first two physicians to formally write a scientific article on the FUE procedure, Dr. Rassman and Bernstein, are proud members of our Coalition.

Having said that, I will say that I don't see these physicians always touting the FUT method over the FUE method, but I do see these physicians accepting (from their perspective) some of the current limitations of FUE and definitely doing their best not to "oversell" the procedure.

Finally, as far as not recommending any "FUE only" physicians: we have actually considered recommending several FUE only surgeons in the past (and their current recommendation status had nothing to do with the fact that they only offered the FUE procedure) and have no reservations considering strict FUE surgeons in the future.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Well, Pat, (he says respectfully) you have the answer right there.

Until, we reach that tipping point (if ever we will) when we have FUE results that are ten to fifteen year old stories that highlight the merits of FUE and until the FUE only clinics stop their squabbling or whatever, strip will rule the internet and we will be forever recycling the same old arguments and it will appear that forums (at least American based) are biased to strip.

Having said that, read between the lines, and glean the gold from the rock.

Well not everyone wants a 10-15 year story - I certainly dont -- life moves on in 10-15 years -- lost career opportunities, romance oportunities and friendship opportunities, I can go on and on.

I personally know of several lives that have been transformed in a span of 1-2 years by dense strip procedures as it gave them more confidence to be what they really wanted to be - I can put some really choice quotes from george costanza of seinfeld here but you get the idea :)

saying that strip is more "forum friendly" is a very narrow perception of why strip dominates these forums. People have a finite amount of money and resources and lets face it, strip gives you the best bang for your buck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think of FUT and FUE as dueling options but rather two different approaches that can often compliment each other. They both have their pros and cons. Each patient must decide their own HT journey according to these, figuring out what approach works best for them.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I always advise prospective patients to research and learn about both procedures and then decide whether FUT or FUE suits them best with the help of a world renowned surgeon.

Unfortunately, not all physicians agree on which procedure is paramount for the patient. However, in my opinion, both procedures, FUT and FUE have advantages and disadvantages and what's better for one patient may not be better for another. The advantages and disadvantages of both procedures are already well cited on this forum.

To date, I must admit, the vast majority of the "wow" results I've ever seen have come from FUT strip. But I've seen some impressive looking FUE results as well.

My only caution to prospective patients is to avoid the hype and look for real examples of results before deciding on a procedure. Be wary of anyone who downplays one procedure in order to "sell" you their procedure. Additionally, like FUT, some physicians are more skilled and have more experience with FUE than others.

Note that this community is open to any and all surgeons performing quality hair transplantation. We do not recommend any all FUE clinics at this time solely because none who we've discussed potential recommendation with have provided sufficient evidence of their results without reservation. When we do, we'll be happy to congratulate the physician who becomes our first all FUE clinic.

Best wishes,

Bill

I think the best thing for anyone to do is to talk to several top surgeons about their goals and both types of surgery to determine which is best for them to achieve their goals. In doing my research I considered both and found no "bias" at all in this forum. Their are differences between the two that definitively are important to understand that will impact whether or not you are likely to achieve your goals. It is an individual decision.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I guess I shouldn't say bias, but it does seem that hairlosshelp has a lot of strip scar horror stories whereas I hardly see any here. Searching for procedure comparisons at HLH, there's always a response like "the scar has ruined my life" or "i'll do anything to reverse it", etc.

That's why i'm wondering why I don't see posts of that nature here, if its because posters here come from better doctors, or something else.

Edited by patwillpat1

Everyone here usually uses the recommended Drs or coalition Drs because we know they are tested by the forum organisers, have passed high standards and use the best equipment. Also the Drs recommended here have a name and reputation to protect so they always stand by their work, taking this into account is the reason why there's no horror stories other than people coming in from other forums to spread the word.

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

If you decide to get strip surgery and you choose a top surgeon you should not have an issue with your scar (not saying you won't have a scar, because you will), understanding that there are some limitations on how short you can cut your hair.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I hate to state the obvious but here goes. The "strip scar horror stories" that are told fall into the following categories:

1. Patients who have had FUT with an unrecommended bad doctor.

2. Patients who did not realize what type of scar would be left with a typical well executed FUT procedure.

You would be hard pressed to find these types of "horror stories" coming from well educated patients who had their procedure with a good doctor. Sure, there are patients whose scars are not optimal but "horror stories" is something else.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I think we should remember this is not a FUE vs strip debate - although those debates continue to be ESSENTIAL and have helped drive FUE and HT forward. Don't listen to those who say the matter is 'settled'. Yes, I know it sounds..:)

It's about a forum being biased, not by agenda or design and not by the moderators sitting in a bunker and plotting their evil ways, counting their pennies from Hasson and Wong. It's simply about how money, information, historical trends, hype etc. all coalesce into 'fact'. It's a bit like asking 'is TV biased?' Some will say, it's not. And those that say it might also believe there is balance and harmony in the HT universe and all the planets are aligned and that FUE and strip both have their place.

If this were the case, momentum and change would not happen, because both 'have their place' and that is the way things would stay. But reality is different. There is continuing change and forums are a part of the changing picture, a side-show perhaps, but part of it. So too of course are the clinics and the perceptions that doctors have both in surgical, financial terms. Now they must also refine their media-web/information gambit as they read and develop their intuitions about the changing minds and moods of the HT consuming public.

I agree with the poster who suggested he could not be bothered waiting for ten year to fifteen year old HT story to mature into a happy ending. I would rather see a six month sensation too.

Does it even matter if a forum is biased or taking money from surgeons as long as the recommendations are good and keeping you safe from con men and bad doctors who cares!

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1