What is the BEST hair thickening shampoo/conditioner combo ?

Hope you guys can help me on this one.

My girlfriend always buys "clarifying" shampoos and I'm starting to realize that these are probably the worst for us guys who want to make our hair look as thick as possible.

So what do you recommend that I can buy here in the USA ? Or do I have to buy it online from overseas ?

Are there really any shampoos that help thicken the look/volume of your hair ? Or is it all a scam ?

EpilepticSceptic,

Yes, in my experience, thickening shampoos do work. I have used several purchased off the shelf at my local grocery store. Nothing exotic or expensive. Currently I'm using Aussie Aussome Volume Shampoo. In the past I've used Vive for Men.

I am also fond of using a conditioner called Mane 'n Tail. I've used this for years even before I experienced significant hair loss. I use it both in the shower and as a leave in. I find that rubbing a small amount on my palms and distributing it through my hair adds volume and texture to my hair. It leaves a somewhat waxy feeling as it dries.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 4 weeks later...

Ep this thread that's been around a long time is supposed to be a absolute god send all though i discovered it too late i'll be using these products when my hair grows out. http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/142940-best-way-make-your-hair-transplant-glisten-w-extra-density-naturalness.html

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

IMHO, i feel the aveda volumizing shampoo is really useful, i am getting the samy, aveda hair potion and dirt this week and will post pics on before and after, something which Thana did not do before he left

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

I finally broke down and dropped some $$ on Aveda Pure Abundance Shampoo and Hair Potion. I've only been using it a couple of days so I'm not ready to give my impressions yet.

I'll you guys know what I think.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

• 4 years later...
I finally broke down and dropped some $$ on Aveda Pure Abundance Shampoo and Hair Potion. I've only been using it a couple of days so I'm not ready to give my impressions yet.

I'll you guys know what I think.

Verdict?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Bumping this for David ... what did you think of Aveda? Can't decide whether to go for it or try out Wella Nioxin for a while!

I was not at all impressed with it. Never purchased it again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ThemanJus

Hi guys,

I have written a review of some of the hair loss shampoos I have tried on my website. Check it out here.

I found shampoos with ketoconazole reacted kinda badly with my scalp. Currently using Pura' Dor. You can pick up a cheap hair loss shampoo from the supermarket... the things I look for to help with hair loss is zinc pyrithione or ketoconazole (to kill bacteria and fungus and reduce inflammation), biotin (to help with hair strength) and any DHT blocker compounds for an added bonus.

Guest ThemanJus
Guys,

What bout Nioxn products? I've been using this for a long time as it was suggested by a doctor, stylist, etc. But I didn't see anyone mention these products.

Hi Bsass,

I have not used Nioxin products personally. Although I would look at the ingredients in your product to ascertain whether they are specifically formulated for hair loss. Things a good hair loss should have are:

- DHT blocker compounds (saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil etc)

- Ketoconazole or Zinc Pyrithione (these are very important as they create a healthy scalp environment for hair growth by killing bacteria and fungal infections - also increases the effectiveness of minoxidil).

- Oils for hair health (argan oil etc).

If your shampoo has some or all of the above then you are good to go. Otherwise I would look for something else for hair loss.

Also for Ketoconazole shampoo you should only use every other day (not every day) as it can cause some irritation. Personally I use Pura D'or as Keto reacted badly with me.

Hope I helped!

Guest ThemanJus
Well I just got this so I give it a go as interesting ingredients.

Nice - Biotin is really good for improving keratin synthesis and improving the structure of the hair (makes really strong hair and nails).

I see what you mean by the ingredients too, crazy amount (not sure what half of them are).

Have you used ketoconazole shampoo before? May be worth using one on off days.

Hi Bsass,

I have not used Nioxin products personally. Although I would look at the ingredients in your product to ascertain whether they are specifically formulated for hair loss. Things a good hair loss should have are:

- DHT blocker compounds (saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil etc)

- Ketoconazole or Zinc Pyrithione (these are very important as they create a healthy scalp environment for hair growth by killing bacteria and fungal infections - also increases the effectiveness of minoxidil).

- Oils for hair health (argan oil etc).

If your shampoo has some or all of the above then you are good to go. Otherwise I would look for something else for hair loss.

Also for Ketoconazole shampoo you should only use every other day (not every day) as it can cause some irritation. Personally I use Pura D'or as Keto reacted badly with me.

Hope I helped!

Thank you for the reply, that does help! Odd I do not see any of those in this product. They claim their products are made for thinning hair and offer items to regrow hair as well. I've ordered some stuff from Amazon that I've read from this thread, let's see how that goes ;)

Ingredients list of Nixon shampoo is below if you care to read.

Nioxin Cleanser™ System 2: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamide MEA, sodium benzoate, salicylic acid, mentha peperita (peppermint) oil, menthol, mentha arvensis leaf oil, tetrasodium edta, methylparaben, propylene glycol, camellia sinensis leaf extract, cystine BIS-PG-propyl silanetriol, lecithin, urtica dioica (nettle) extract, serenoa serrulata fruit extract, humulus lupulus (hops) extract, citrus paradisi (grapefruit) peel extract, saccharomyces/magnesium ferment, biotin/folic acid/cyanocobalamin/niacinamide/pantothenic acid/ pyridoxine/riboflavin/thiamine/yeast polypeptides, yeast extract, saccharomyces/iron ferment, saccharomyces/copper ferment, yellow 5, saccharomyces/silicone ferment, saccharomyces/zinc ferment, phenoxyethanol, blue 1, red 33.