Fut vs fue

Im sure this must be an old question, But Im new here and based of the information that I found on internet, Im start getting confused. What do you guys think of them? which one is better?

Based on what I understood the main difference is that

1) FUT is more predictable and more graft can be saved but it will leave a huge SCAR in the back of your head meaning you can never shave or have your hair to short (if for any rason you would want to have that)

2) FUE does not leave any scar but more graft are destroyed in the process of harvesting, but it will not leave any scar and it will heal faster

SO PLEASE what is your guys opinion? which one is better?

Arr doctors usually do either FUT or FUE or is it more exclusive, I mean if a doctor is a known HT surgeon, how do know if he is good at both tecniques?

The information you have is basically right. The scar from a procedure, if done correctly by a recommended physician will leave a fine scar that could go from ear to ear. It is difficult to notice the scar unless you keep your hair very short, usually shorter than a #3 on a razor setting. Not all patients are good FUE candidates, some people have better quality hair that makes them better candidates for the treatment, and therefore better yield.A surgeon would recommend FUT over FUE due to the reason above, but in many cases if the patient requires a substantial amount of grafts it could be in their best interest to go the FUT route due to the higher survival rate of the grafts, and also due to the patients financial needs. FUT in general provides better overall results but if the scar is something that really bothers you and you plan on keeping your hair very short than you should consider FUE, but know that the results could yield less hair density.

Not all doctors perform FUE and FUT. FUE is less common in the industry, and some have technicians do the procedure as opposed to the surgeon. I would recommend doing a lot of research on those who practice FUE regularly and see their results.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The information you have is basically right. The scar from a procedure, if done correctly by a recommended physician will leave a fine scar that could go from ear to ear. It is difficult to notice the scar unless you keep your hair very short, usually shorter than a #3 on a razor setting. Not all patients are good FUE candidates, some people have better quality hair that makes them better candidates for the treatment, and therefore better yield.A surgeon would recommend FUT over FUE due to the reason above, but in many cases if the patient requires a substantial amount of grafts it could be in their best interest to go the FUT route due to the higher survival rate of the grafts, and also due to the patients financial needs. FUT in general provides better overall results but if the scar is something that really bothers you and you plan on keeping your hair very short than you should consider FUE, but know that the results could yield less hair density.

Not all doctors perform FUE and FUT. FUE is less common in the industry, and some have technicians do the procedure as opposed to the surgeon. I would recommend doing a lot of research on those who practice FUE regularly and see their results.

Thank you for the Information, Something inside of me tells me, that If humans where able to reach moon, Do correction eye surgery, and so many other advances just the past 30-40 years, definitly they should be able to come up with a cure within the next 10 years.... There is so much money into that, so economicaly it makes sence..... Butofcourse I do not want to go around half bald the next ten years... So I want to have something that corrects my baldness right now untill something better comes around; and therefore Im thinking that maybe FUE would be a better answer since I can repair it easier later on, since it doesn't leave a permanent scar..... What do you think about that?

Now Do you know any doctor that is famous with getting good results doing FUE?

Hi Mate,

You seem to have a good grasp regarding the differences between both procedures, I would strongly suggest using the search function located in the menu bar to seek out the top practitioners of FUE on this site, if of course that is the method you wish to opt for.

cheers,

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Just to note a few great FUE surgeons:

Dr Bisanga

Dr Feller

Dr Keser

Dr Shapiro (Both)

Dr Rahal (Recent)

Many more...

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Just to note a few great FUE surgeons:

Dr Bisanga

Dr Feller

Dr Keser

Dr Shapiro (Both)

Dr Rahal (Recent)

Many more...

Which one is closer to california?

Also when you say Shapiro (both) are you telling me there are to really good surgeons by the same last name?

In your opinion, what hair qualities are better for FUE? Is it dark straight hair with light skin so there's a high contrast?

Im sure this must be an old question, But Im new here and based of the information that I found on internet, Im start getting confused. What do you guys think of them? which one is better?

Based on what I understood the main difference is that

1) FUT is more predictable and more graft can be saved but it will leave a huge SCAR in the back of your head meaning you can never shave or have your hair to short (if for any rason you would want to have that)

2) FUE does not leave any scar but more graft are destroyed in the process of harvesting, but it will not leave any scar and it will heal faster

SO PLEASE what is your guys opinion? which one is better?

Arr doctors usually do either FUT or FUE or is it more exclusive, I mean if a doctor is a known HT surgeon, how do know if he is good at both tecniques?

one correction to make...fue is not scarless. every surgery leaves a scar. the fue procedure leaves small white dots. not a linear scar.

Many people are good candidates for FUE but the qualities that make someone a bad candidate are people with poor skin qualities as well as poor quality of the existing hair. If the skin is not elastic, or has the right amount of collagen in the skin, it makes removing the grafts more difficult. This something that needs to be looked at during a consultation. Having dark hair does make having an FUE procedure easier for the surgeon to see the hairs, but everyone can have the procedure done including blondes, as surgeons can use dye during the surgery to help locate grafts.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

To be honest with you. If FUT yields better than why dont you save your money and do a transplant, and leave a space for the future to bring us a miracelous treatment such as histogen HSC. If you want hair then why you want to shave your head? About the scar, trust me, open up this link Dr. H. Rahal – Ottawa Ontario Hair Transplant MD | IAHRS Member and click on VIEW FLASH PHOTO GALLERY. Check out the last pic. Thats the scar you will get when you do it with a fine surgeon.

Honestly a small thin scar is much better than a shiny baldy head. Trust me. Atleast I would smile to people from the behind lol..Just kidden... Do a FUT and save up your dollars for the future treatment which is comin soon in less than 5 years.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Hey,

Just to clarify, no surgery outcome can ever be fully predicted, HARIRI you state that is the scar one would end up with if choosing the right physician however not all final products follow such great successes. I have seen some fantastic surgical photos from recommended coalition Dr's in which the scars had stretched from time to time, this is in no fault of the doctor but of course the patient and healing process combined. I do agree with you that FUT does in fact yield much better results (most of the time) however there are always un-calculated risks. I have delved deeply into the pro's and con's of FUE vs FUT, I still remain in limbo. FUE is a great touch up method and rebuilding smaller zones of loss which would definitely assist with further density post strip ops etc, FUT on the other hand can create such a dramatic change with far less trauma to follicles. HT outcomes are a gamble, in good hands you just have FAR better odds over the house.

I would also like to comment that future treatments really do seem a LONG way off public access for the moment.

Cheers,

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Since this topic realtes to FUE and FUT , I would like to know something ..

My question is aimed with keeping repair work in mind ..

I had a previous transplant for the hairline and temples which was FUT .

Now the hair werent transplanted in the correct angle and the result is not natural .

I wish to remove those previously transplanted hair via FUE and do another strip and transplant new hair in this region and other receeded areas since the previous transplant .

Now my questions are :

Once a hair is removed via FUE , does it regrow at the donor site ?

I understand the donor site leaves a very tiny hole which heals with time .

So it is possible to transplant immediately in a correct angle at the place from where hair is removed ? Or do I have to wait for the hole to heal and then work on it ?

Once the hole has healed and assuming the previously removed hair isnt growng , is it possible to transplant new hair at that same site via FUE and have it grow naturally ?

And would it be advisible for me to re-transplant these previously transplanted hair that I plan to remove via FUE to another area and use them , instead of just letting it waste ? Will they continue to grow ? I am assuming they should if the entire unit was taken out properly .

Thank you for your answers ..

Al,

Although many of our recommended hair restoration physicians perform state-of-the-art follicular unit extraction (FUE) work, Dr. Jim Harris in Colorado is particularly known for his FUE contributions/results and is probably the "closest" to California (although I wouldn't let geography become too big of a factor in your overall decision). Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I got a FUE procedure with Dr. Rahal in about six months. It's fairly large 3000 grafts and for my frontal hairloss. It will be my first ever hair loss restoration procedure. Check out my hair restoration website for details of the upcoming procedure.

I see these debates between fue strip often. There are hundreds of threads on this. I think both procedures are good. They both grow hairs and have a substantial results.

I am now confident about FUE. I decided to do FUE after weighing my options, many thoughts and reasons. I have confidence that Dr. Rahal will give me an amazing result. I have seen his hairlines, his work, and I feel with FUE he can do the same.

I will keep this forum updated with my procedure details and show what can be achieved by an excellent doctor. I will come back to this thread to leave it to members to judge for themselves. So, for everyone and especially those that may be in their 20's-30's considering fue, this may help you see how successful a FUE of 3000 grafts by a coalition doc will be on a 28 year old guy. Yield, scarring, placement, quality, growth, etc. So, stay tuned for my procedure in the upcoming months.

Great questions asked by FINAXZ, I hope one of the doctors or professional nurses answers this question. I have been having these inquiries for a long time...

My Hair Treatments:

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Since this topic realtes to FUE and FUT , I would like to know something ..

My question is aimed with keeping repair work in mind ..

I had a previous transplant for the hairline and temples which was FUT .

Now the hair werent transplanted in the correct angle and the result is not natural .

I wish to remove those previously transplanted hair via FUE and do another strip and transplant new hair in this region and other receeded areas since the previous transplant .

Now my questions are :

Once a hair is removed via FUE , does it regrow at the donor site ?

I understand the donor site leaves a very tiny hole which heals with time .

So it is possible to transplant immediately in a correct angle at the place from where hair is removed ? Or do I have to wait for the hole to heal and then work on it ?

Once the hole has healed and assuming the previously removed hair isnt growng , is it possible to transplant new hair at that same site via FUE and have it grow naturally ?

And would it be advisible for me to re-transplant these previously transplanted hair that I plan to remove via FUE to another area and use them , instead of just letting it waste ? Will they continue to grow ? I am assuming they should if the entire unit was taken out properly .

Thank you for your answers ..

Once FUE is removed from your donor area the hair has been taken out so the hair will regrow where it is transplanted. So technically the FUE leaves your donor area thinner, but not to the point where it is noticeable, this is why surgeons selectively take grafts from a large area as to not take too much from one area.

If FUE is performed to extract hair from the recipient site you do not transplant new hairs into the same hole, as it too large and the grafts won't be able to stick. In those situations if there is enough room in that area, they will create new incisions near the removed grafts and place them there. Sometimes older plugs are so large that you may even need a stitch to shot that hole closed. So in these repair cases it can require more than one procedure to fix everything. So with the first treatment it will definitely look better, but you should wait for the FUE incisions to heal for about 8-10 months and then perform another one into that area where you couldn't transplant earlier due to the FUE incisions in the recipient area.

Removing the grafts you have may not even be necessary, that is something that you need to go over with a surgeon. Sometimes transplanting more into that area in the correct angle will hide the others and leave you with a more natural looking apperance.

Thanks a lot thehairupthere. Very satisfying answer, True and Doein always answers members question in great details. We appreciate this. However. In my case, if I do have part of my hairline (left side) lower than the other (right side) and decided to remove few grafts are transplant them further behind, well it create a noticeable scar on my forhead very close to my hairline (left side)? Cause honestly i dont believe in laser as its a waste for my previous grafts.

Edited by HARIRI

My Hair Treatments:

If you were to remove grafts by FUE in the hairline and not transplant over it again, you can see little white dots like FUE scars in the donor area. You may be able to try and straighten out the hairline with another small procedure to the other side ,but without seeing you I'm not sure which option is best. Laser removal would not leave a scar if you wanted to even it out that way.

....remove few grafts are transplant them further behind, well it create a noticeable scar.....? ..... i dont believe in laser as its a waste for my previous grafts.

Good thinking. Why waste your precious grafts by burning them with a laser?

Scarring - whilst being a case-by-case thing, is also generally much better (as in less noticable) on the forehead than in the traditional donor zones. I've had FUE and strip removals of pluggy and misangled hair on the hairline and behind it. The strip scar is visible, but more because of skin buckling at the seam, than the scar itself. The FUE holes are fine. As for replanting in the same holes, well my docs have never wanted to do it. It seems they prefer to plant the hair a few mm away from the extracted sites, some of which were sutured, others left to heal by secondary intention. ( just left as open wounds) The new slits you'll be wanting will presumably be a lot flatter for a more ideal flatter lie and I understand you are speaking of the actual surface point of exit, not the underlying tissue, but still, all the docs I've spoken to didn't wanna do it. Back to your noggin, I also think that damage to some of the extracted grafts is not to be unexpected, but still, I think it's worth a shot at extracting and replanting, even a few by trial at first.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

Thanks Thehairupthere for taking the time and providing helpful answers .

Would it actually take that long , I mean 8 - 10 months for the FUE incisions to heal ? Seams to be quite some time .

About the lasers in general , from what I have read , it works by creating changes in structure of things under the skin , as in cause certain damage and the healing process does the job of improving things .

Ayways so having that in mind , If you removed hair by laser , would it damage the skin tissue near by to the removal site and would it be suitable to transplant on the same site again at a later date ?

My question is aimed at taking of the hair and transplanting there again , where as Hariri's aim is to just take them off .

And how noticible would these white spots would be , the ones from FUE ?

Cos having such a thing in the hairline may prove to be a difficult thing at some point in time . I am not sure if that could end up being a problem , assuming one had dense packing it shouldnt be , but if it could show through at a later date or under harsher conditions .

Will it be possible for you to post some pic or direct to some thread where such an example for the spot can be found ? I mean one that has healed .

I tried searching quite a bit but couldnt come across a suitable example .

Well , Thanks a lot once again for sharing your knowledge , it is very helpful to us all ..

The length between procedures depends on how well you are healing so it could be earlier than 8 months, you just have to consult with your doctor. The reason for waiting is that the doctor also wants to see the growth of those hairs as to plan ahead for where the next grafts will be placed and what areas will require more attention.

You can transplant into the same area later on with the FUE procedure or with the laser treatment, you just need to let the skin heal the proper amount of time before doing so.

If you were to remove the hairs by FUE you would have white dots, that would resemble someone tapping you on the forehead with a white pen. Very small dots. These dots can tan with sunlight so over time, they do become less noticeable, but in these types of procedures people tend to re-transplant those hairs in a newly created pore right near the original spot, so it will cover up that area. Those dots would be more noticeable if you were too simply remove the grafts and not transplanting anything back in.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Does anyone know of an example of work done by H&W that involved repair , by taking out misangled hair through FUE and then relocating them ?

As far as I knew they didnt deal with anything that had FUE involved in it but one of my mails to them when I raised this query , they said it can be done ..

And yet again every discussion about H&W that I visit it becomes apparent that they dont do such a thing .

So I thought why not ask the forum if they know of any such case ..