1 month mark feeling like crap

well ive reached the dreaded 1month mark and............. i feel bad, its easy to say all will be fine in 5months time. but everytime i look in the mirror its like BAM baldy head!!!!! its so deppressing.........................

my head is numb from the strip. i have shock loss on the sides which makes the scar look huge and i frontal 3rd had shed out all of it beside a few hundred natural strands that are miles apart. and my head itches like crazy around the scar but becauseits numb i cant scratch the itch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roll on month 3 i say!!!!!!!!!! the doubt that goes through ones mind at this point is debilitating,i cant think about anything! and to make it worse i havent told any of may mates so i have to hide away so i cant just get on with things as normal to take my mind of it..... the internet is godsend i would have gone crazy!!!!!!

will my scar look huge?

will the hair ever grow?

am i stuck like this for ever?

will ther numbness come back?

am i ok to do weights with out streching the strip scar?

have the grafts died?

have i lost grafts in the scabs?

am i washing my head to much and harming them?

am i washing my head enough??

is my hairline to high or to low?

is my natural hair gone for good from on top or will it grow back?

is the finesteride working?

im consumed by doubt and negative thinking!!!!!?????? the only thing getting me by and reasuring me is the faith i have in DR HASSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

all the negative questions will fade with the first signs of hair and the disapearence of the scar but untill then i shall continue to worry and its not nice especially when i have to hide away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not even two months post op and I am feeling the same way man! Dr. Hasson is a great surgeon and you should have a good result. If he didn't think so, he wouldn't have performed the procedure. I know it's hard (I can't help but be worrisome myself) but try not to let this stuff get to you.

What's been working for me is trying new things and doing new things to make me feel better. For instance, I've been eating better and exercising. I've started learning the guitar. I'm reading more again. All of these things are making me feel better, and I'm not as wrapped up in thinking about my hair. And besides, a few months from now I might be able to play a pretty decent guitar before my hair starts growing in. Not sure if anything I said makes sense!

You already know the answers to these questions, but i'll answer them to help put your mind at ease!

will my scar look huge? - not likely, considering who you went too.

will the hair ever grow? - Yes

am i stuck like this for ever? - no

will ther numbness come back? - no, it will only get better until its gone.

am i ok to do weights with out stretching the strip scar? not heavy weights.

have the grafts died? - no, they are just in telogen, due to being moved.

have i lost grafts in the scabs? - If you did you would of bled

am i washing my head to much and harming them? - Nope

am i washing my head enough?? - How often are you washing it?

is my hairline to high or to low? - pics please, mines about 5cm above my eyebrows!!!!!!!

is my natural hair gone for good from on top or will it grow back? - It will grow back

is the finesteride working? - Only you can tell us that

I'm 1 day short of 4 months and I worry about what its gonna look like, I really want to be able to put this all behind me. I always ask questions that deep down I know the answers to, but its very therapeutic to have other people that have been through the tunnel and come out the other end, reassure you.

j1j9j85,

Sucks doesn't it ? I warned you about it in an old thread of yours when i was at about the 1 month mark myself.

I had a 4496 session with big H on May 20th. Felt like I was flying on a magic carpet til around day 16 post-op when the dreaded shed occured. It was especially depressing for me because the grafts were growing already and I was looking damn good!

At the end of month one it was the lowest of the low that I have ever experienced with my appearence, mostly because of the shockloss to my thin forelock that at least helped me pull off the "illusion" of hair and facial framing in the past. To look in the mirror at this stage can be extremely depressing -- so just DON'T DO IT !!

Month 2 brought alot of optimistic feelings with it because definite growth could be seen. Now I'm at the 2.5 month mark and things seem to be getting better daily and I am almost at the point where I can ditch the hat and at least look close to like I did pre-op. REALLY looking forward to month 3 and beyond !!!!

Been taking 3000mg MSM daily since month one. Also been applying 5% minox daily since month one, though I swore I'd never use that crap again. But ANYTHING that would hopefully speed up the process suddenly became a BIG priority after seeing what I looked like at the end of month one -- that is indeed a look I will never forget, and hopefully never have to see again until I am in my 60s/70s/80s !!!!

Hang in there bro, it will definitely get better as it cannot get any worse then where you are now !!! Just hold your chin up and think positive thoughts, meditate on your hair coming in and leaving baldness behind you. Negative thoughts can only make you feel like crap and do not help the situation!

Makes me think of that old Doors song: "I been down so goddamn long, that it looks like up to me"

Edited by EpilepticSceptic

ES, wow at month 2 u are seeing growth? good for u matey i think thats quite rare

j85, i am at nearly 2 months post op and like u, i am looking the worse i can in my entire life but try to take it easy. Probably u are more naturally pessimistic? Like the others said, u went to one of the best HT surgeons u can find. Try to relax! I am taking it easy but defn not too easy :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Hey J85. I'm right there with you brother. We must have gotten our surgeries done at the same time because I just hit my one month mark on 8/5. Not the most fun place to be right now, huh? it's been hard for me, because I was using concealer everyday for the last 5 years, but after my surgery, I chose to stop wearing Toppik, so for the first time I'm walking around looking balder than ever. I started a new job in a new city this week, so my appearance is all I can think about when I meet people. But you should feel comforted that you went to one of the best surgeons in the world. Out of all the factors that will affect an HT, I think the surgeon is probably one of the most important, if not the most important. So you have all the cards stacked in your favor. Just remember, EVERYONE at the 1 month mark goes through what we are going through right now. Trust me, we both have a lot to look forward to in the upcoming months! I'll be excited to hear from you in a couple of months when the growth starts coming in.

its great hearing from you all and even though we are at similar stages in our hair journey.... its comforting to know its not just me its happening to and we will all be better of in the near future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the encouragment guys................high five!!!

i remember your post ES saying about the 1month mark how correct you where.

and my surgery was on the 9th of july so a long road ahead this site realy helps

Welcome to the anxiety phase ;). You feel disfigured, anxious, helpless and impatient. It WILL get better! Stop looking in the mirror like I did. It drove me nuts, but you will recover.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

well ive reached the dreaded 1month mark and............. i feel bad, its easy to say all will be fine in 5months time. but everytime i look in the mirror its like BAM baldy head!!!!! its so deppressing.........................

Have you posted pics to a blog yet? Got a link?

I obviously have before photos. I also have just after pics, and im going to take them at 2month intervals not 1 month as i think changes will be better highlighted at 2,4,6,8,10,12 month intervals as apposed to every month.

You are feeling the same as most people feel 1 month after a ht, these feelings are nothing new, you have the comfort of the fact that things will get much much better from here.

Try not to focus on it too much, I know it is hard but it won't make it grow any quicker.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

great read there spex thanks buddy.......

please dont think im moaning and winging..... even though thats exactly what im doin lol

my dread of this period had nothing to with the dr or clininc i must emphasise that to nay one new reading.

its simply this period in recovery 2month point!!!! im going to use this page to vent frustration as im currently in a exotic country as a tactic to stay away and hide from friends and family untill im presentable and no one here speaks english so i cant winge to them and i always have to wear a hat even though its steaming lol ahahahahah

i look like dr evil with a long scar and hairs all differnt lenghts as soom kept growing and some shed so i look patchy and red and scar long and its deppresing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

dr evil number 2 i am!!!!!!!!!!!! my plan is to stay abroad untill my 4th month hopefully htings will picked up enough by then to go home with toppik etc?

arrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

I've never heard of anyone hiding out in another country while waiting for their HT to heal/grow. I thought I was bad just wearing a hat;).

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Hi there j1j9j85-

Been a while since I've posted on here but glad to be back. Ahhh.....the old shedding/shock loss phase. As all of the posters have pointed out to you, your hair will grow back and then some. I had my transplant done by Dr. Jerry Wong. All of my hair fell out and was left completely bare. At the six month+ mark, mine just got better with time.

It takes time and it seems dreadfully slow waiting for the "grass to grow in the playing field' but it's definitely worth it. You went to a truly outstanding doc so try not to sweat it. Your results will definitely be worth the wait!

Best of luck and grow well!

thanks again for the input every one!!!!

in regards to the comment on being abroad for the down time being extreme......

yes it is but thats not the only reason im here i have a work placement starting in jan wich will mean no time of for 6 months and wknd work unfortunatley this is what working with race horses entails.... pretty intence so it was my only open window to get a away so o planned to coinside with down etc 2 birds with one stone kinda thing.

also if i was at home i would have to hide completely away from friends and family unitll it was unnoticabale as they notice everything even my hair being shaved down would be scrutinised............ i guess in some areas HTs are tolerated and no one really cares but at my young age 25.... if my mates suspected anything it would spell the end of street cred and i would never live it down!!!!!! it woul d mean the end of social life and any social standing i have.......... every one i know would take this micke for ever!!!!

but on a positive note im not sure if its my natural hair that was shocked that is growing back or the new follicles but there does seem to be a sign of life and action all be it very slight but positive none the less.....

how ever my scar on the sides of my head above the ears is concerning? the ridge under the incision site is getting better every day bit my bit.... which is good how ever?????? around the scar on the right side i have a gap of bald hair/scalp about 9mm in some areas im sure it will improve and fill in with hair with time but its a worry as it was very sore for a long time and some raw patches are still present near the nasty angry area???? time will tell

if my mates suspected anything it would spell the end of street cred and i would never live it down!!!!!! it woul d mean the end of social life and any social standing i have.......... every one i know would take this micke for ever!!!!

Hi, this sounds like a very cruel situation and context.

I mean, for true friends you should be the same, if with or without HT or whatever.

In the end of the day, individual levels of hair loss are also part of human diversity, and with a bit understanding and tolerance and empathy, it should make no difference for anyone who really cares about you and respects you and your decisions?! :confused:

The following quote comes to mind:

You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same.

Enjoy your freedom and I wish you all the best!

Edited by CopaSurfer

j1j9j85,

Hey man, i also have an "angry area" about 4 cm long (on the Left side) starting from where the end of the cut was made. I'm at 3 months and starting to see signs of hair growing in, but DEFINITELY a LONG way to go !!! Other than that everything is peachy. I trust is is just surrounding scar shockloss and will fill in. Right side is fine which seems freaky.

Check out this old thread, it will make you feel better: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/153096-scar-shock-loss-question-veterans.html

I agree with Copa BTW. If my mates were the type to rip me about a HT I'd tell them all to f*ck off and see me in 8 months -- then I'd rip them a new a**hole !!!!

thanks again every one, prob out of all of my friends and family i have around

8 people in total who know or are atleast aware and i trust and love me no matter wot so to speak.... but the others are prob not true friends correct.

great quote by the way!!!!

• 1 month later...

Well im at 3 months now and even though, im still in the most dreaded period of a HT recovery ie, 1-5months!!!!

Things are happening and i can actually see new hairs with my own eyes, its the most positive feeling i have had in regards to my balding in the last 5 years!!!

Ive also compared my 1 month pic (my lowest period) to my 3 month and there is an actual difference to be seen. how ever i still have a long long way to go.

My scar has been hard work up to date, even though it is thin and im happy with it and i know when everything is resolved it will be undetectable. it still been a pain.... ive had problems with a few infected follicles with hairs trying to grow through the scar and its set back the healing time and its been itchy hell but im finally over that just, and the problems are magnified by the large shockloss which is taking for ever to go away..... if it wasnt for the shockloss i coul dgo out now and no one would know if i didnt wear a hat but im still under a cap as shockloss can look very very weired to people not in the know.

my wishes for the 4th month is continued maturisation and hairs popping up in the recipient area front 1/3 and the recovery of the shock loss on the sides as its quite bad................. and looks terrible and also loss of redness to scar!

Dnt worry i will be posting pics im taking them every month and will up load all on month 5, and i also have some pics during the surgery at H&W also.......

Fingers crossed for lots more growth and thickening as i need it

Hi,

I'm at the 2 month post operation HT. I have some of the doubts that you expressed in your original post. I'm crossing my fingers that the HT will work.

I keep reading about poor HT results on this forum which makes me feel a bit anxious.

My scar and scalp have healed really well and I'm happy that it isn't that noticeable. It was a couple of scary weeks going to work with so many scabs on my head. I don't easily get embarrassed but I did feel a bit funny a couple of times.

Regards

Rod

Edited by RodG

• 4 weeks later...

now at 4 months post HT on this coming tuesday!

its getting exciting... still a few problem areas but thinks are happening now finally the shock loss has only just started to fill in on the sides!!!!! its still noticabl ebut im alot more relaxed now knowing that hair is growing back!!

when its balled around the scar you cant help but worry but now im relaxed as it deff getting better week by week.......

in the front its stil thin but the hairs are there thats the main thing.... i expect the next few months expecialy months 5,6,7 and 8 to be very very rewarding!! i have alot of pics to post and will make my patient website up

at the 6 or 7 month mark! to show results so far!!!!!!!!

happy growing to all

jj:D