Donor Scar photos at Clipper #4

Hey Everyone, Many folks wonder how short you could have your hair before your Donor Scar is noticeable. I had the misfortune of being too aggressive and asked the hairstylist to use a clipper #4 on the back and the sides. I then realized it was a bit too short. Whoops...

Here are some photos. As you can see It's definitely noticeable. I think next time I'll be asking for just a trim around.

DSC03576.jpg.ba33449bb16fff95268b2c0251432120.jpg

DSC03581.jpg.2999d7e3118553bcba64f4ba60da8fc8.jpg

DSC03583.jpg.708c323c77b335ba311f45cf25fd7751.jpg

DSC03590.jpg.d52acfe560ea577bac85687cd924998d.jpg

DSC03592.jpg.c4c6768a136dae5d5d49cbb309e7e1d1.jpg

DSC03600.jpg.9ed189868c8f78fc3ce24c48e6d2563f.jpg

It also doesn't help that the scar is still a bit pink. Hopefully the scar will be less prevalent once the color begins to fade. As for your thoughts on the scar stretching, does it have anything to do with the laxity of your scalp (loose, average, or tight)? Perhaps it is also the way your body heals.

Coligen, yes, that is why I think the donor scar stretched, I can visibly see it :)

As far as scalp, I had good laxity, and even after the HT procedure, I still had laxity. 3000 grafts, the strip taken out was longer, not wider.

I believe it has something to do with how my body heals to be honest. Maybe I have stretchy skin...

Please note everything, I do have Asian hair, the way our hair is angled, it could be a drawback since it is more prevalent for the scalp to be seen through the hair.

Interestingly enough, even after getting the procedure done (the day of). I touched the sutured area and I told myself "this area may stretch", It was a weird thought at the time

hey all, wow that's reassuring, I went ahead and assumed it was scar widening, this is awesome news if you all are correct. I'll leave it to the ones that have gone through this before ;)

Wow, you guys just made my weekend ;)

Problem now, you all just raised my expectations ;) damn you all, :-p

azn_guy,

It's honestly hard to tell by the photos. But what I can tell you is that it's still very early and I believe things will improve. If it's scar stretching, time will tell.

Hopefully in a few months you'll feel much better about your scar. I know I did about mine in the later months.

Best wishes,

Bill Seemiller

It certainly looks like shock loss to me. Dab a little black dermmatch on the donor scar and it'll do the trick. I did that the first 3-4 months post op and it worked like a charm. Wasn't fun applying it but it did make a difference.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

azn_guy...we had our HT on the same day and I think my scar looks exactly like yours. same pinkness, same width. Dr. Simmons inspected my scar a few weeks ago and was pleased with what he saw and said there was no stretching and that the pinkness should be mostly gone by 6 months. so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

azn_guy,

A lot has already been said here but allow me to add to your peace of mind. I'm quite sure that your scar is going to improve over the next few months. After my fist HT I could buzz down to a 3 without the scar showing at all.

I'm only 1 1/2 months post-op from HT #2 and my scalp was considerably tighter this time around but I'm hoping for the same results.

Keep us posted!

TTP

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for the follow up guys, I would go see Dr. Cooley but he's across the nation :)

As far as Dermamatch, no need, I'll just grow out my hair a tad, my hair grows pretty quickly, it's hardly noticeable already after one week

I think next time I'll ask the hair stylist to do a clipper #5 instead.

I'll definitely take photos of the exact same thing again in 4-5 months, I'll ask for a clipper #4 and we can use this as reference for those that are curious.

• 1 month later...

I would like to give everyone an update on my situation with my "scar stretching"

I went to visit Dr. Cooley for an evaluation and he was disappointed with the way the donor scar has progressed.

He took a look and he does not believe this was scar stretching. He believes it's due to the type of sutures that were used. I am getting clarification, but it could be that some of my hair was transected (again, this is my guess)

There were two types of sutures that were used. A thick one that was used on the main strip, and a thin one that was used on a second strip to get more grafts.

The strip that had the thin sutures healed well and is fine

The strip that had the thick sutures did not heal as planned and I have a 3mm section of no hair.

Dr. Cooley believes that a scar revision will fix this and he's pretty adamant about doing this since he was not happy with the results. Funny thing is, shouldn't it be the other way around? I should be the one not happy!

Stay tuned on this guys, It looks like I'll be going in for another procedure

ignore my post in your other thread.....but here are some more Qs for ya:

- perhaps I missed it, but you had 2 donor strips removed? are they above one another? I don't really get the rationale of one being for smaller # grafts and one being for larger.

- when you say you'll be going in for a 2nd procedure...do you mean just to fix the scar or to actually have more grafts planted?

- do you know what he plans on doing to fix the scar?

Did the doc discuss with you that Asians have a higher propensity for hyperthrophic scarring and any potential mitigation strategies?

Thanks for being Asian and posting this stuff. I'm very concerned myself and fully expect scarring like that.

Dear all

My name is Niclole Anderson. I am new to this site. hair restoration is good one. why because we don't bather about hair loss. thank you

(Promotional link removed)

Edited by TakingThePlunge
Promotional link

hey mega,

yup! I had 2 strips taken, the original "big" one, then after Dr Cooley noticed he couldn't get enough grafts, he took a second strip on the side of my head (left side to be exact) during the same procedure.

So if you take a look at my photos on my web blog, you'll notice on the left side of my head, right above my side burns a small 4 inch strip was taken in addition to the original 30in strip

2nd procedure is only for scar revision, no grafts will be placed in the recipient area...

I sent Dr. Cooley 10 questions, so he'll go over the details when he replies back to me via email.

Jacksonbrowne, Dr. Cooley did go over issues with keloid and he 110% takes this into consideration before doing the surgery, he pretty much was confident that I wouldn't have keloids since I didn't have these problems in the past with previous scars. Hypertrophic scarring is minimal, I do have a small ridge on the right side, but it's minimal and nothing to be concerned about.

• 3 weeks later...

azn_guy,

This is a good thread. I too have to cut my hair with a comb higher than #4 in order to hide the scar.

It's ironic though, since some surgeons say that following a HT surgery, you have to use the #4 in order to hide the scar, only to find out first hand that you have to use #5 or #6 etc.

What is the status on your scar revision?

Will you receive follow-up steroid treatment for possible hypertrophic scarring?

Did Dr. Cooley offer to do the scar revision for free, or do you have to pay for it?

Do you plan to use any after surgery treatments yourself such as Vitamin E oil etc.?

take care...

• 3 weeks later...