FUE into scar and repair

JUst-a-guy, you are a moron, plain & simple. Through your ignorance & lack of due diligence, you went to the wrong Dr & got burned. It's as much your fault as theirs. I did my homework, went to one of the best Drs around & have an amazing new full head of hair. My life is a lot better fo rit as well. The things that you're saying reek of severe mental problems. I doubt that even with a proper HT that you'd be happy. Obviously you're more in need of a psychiatrist than a HT Dr. Seek help immediately. I, myself, will seek some new styling gel to help control my thick thick new hair.

6544 grafts - Dr Hasson 11/30/05

This is my first post on this web site, but I couldn't sit back and take it anymore. I am 53 years

old trial attorney and had my first "plug" HT at age 27 (1980). My hair continued to fall out and

I was left with frontal hair and certainly had that "doll head" look.

I want to tell you a story of my first experience. In its infancy, HT was an experiment and many

were skeptical. I went to see Dr Constantine Chambers from Florida in 1980. Chambers was a

leading transplant Dr at the time. While waiting in the reception area a young man came in who

had apparently had a TERRIBLE HT. His air was growing, but his plugs were turned in all

directions, thereby causing the pluggy hair to just stick up in all directions. I hadn't had the first

graft yet and he scared the crap out of me.

Later that morning I heard the guy literally crying when he spoke to the Dr. "I hope I'm not too

late."

After three session and many graphs, I was somewhat pleased, but was concerned about the plug

look after the rest of my hair fell out. Without any transplants I would be the poster boy for

MPB.

Now, 26 years later, I have made my first repair visit to Dr Ray Konier in Chicago and am very

pleased with the results. I only wish I had waited until now to begin the procedures. That would

have meant 26 years of total baldness. No thanks!

The difference in the technique, and what early on was terrible pain is now just some discomfort

and the results are fantastic.

To address some of Just a guy's pens, I can only say this. You can still have a good head of hair

if your early Dr did not screw up your donor area too much. If you feel he has, it won't cost

anything to go to a reputable Dr to find out. You really sound as though you are frustrated

and/or out of money, or are afraid of further disappointment.

Believe me, live with a bad HT for 26 years (great for its time) and you WILL do something

about it.

As for the head shaving, I really don't see the attraction of anyone shaving their head. But then

again, I believe the young girls with the "tramp stamps" all over their bodies will in time regret

that too!

Head shaving to me is the equivalent to the "Emperor's New Clothes." They tell themselves that

it looks better, and no one else is gonna tell them any differently.

I still have a 4" diameter bald crown that I am seriously considering HT for. I believe after all

that I have gone through, I still have about 3200-3500 grafts left in my donor area without

compromising.

How many grafts does it take to cover a totally bald area that size. How many grafts does it take

to cover a bald spot per square inch? Is 200 enough? 300? 400?

Not many professionals or 50 year old men are gonna shave their heads. All that I know that

have tried it have gone back to au natural very soon.

Qwert,

Hmm...Im a "moron"...very mature thank you.

Why exactly is that? Because youre really a doctor and Im messing up your image or making you upset?

What factual information have I stated that is a lie? Read over my FACTS before you go calling people names. I think it's a bit childish and plain rude and insensitive to call me a moron. You have no idea the sadness and regret I have gone through, or don't care.

Most/all guys on here have suffered severely either with the regret of doing this ridiculous procedure(s) , or needing repair thats just not possible , or feeling insecure of losing hair.

So unless youre a HT doc, which it sounds like to me..you should understand and have empathy for me.

As for my "mental status"...wasn't I the first to admit that this has caused depression and how I WAS so insecure that it pushed me into this moronic decision? Are you trying to impress everyone with your keen wit by calling me names?

What you and others don't get, is that ANYONE seeking HT or has gotten HT, NEEDS a therapist or needed one before they got it. Losing hair as a man, is natural. HT is an EMOTIONAL issue, which causes us so much insecurity that we are willing to slice & punch open our scalps to stick a few thousand grafts of hairs from the back our our head to the front and top (where tens of thousands of grafts are missing). THAT doesnt sound like mental issues to you?!!!

I WAS in a need of a therapist before I woke up to this nightmare and realized what Ive done. As MANY THOUSANDS of men also have done so. Read my facts I wrote earlier and argue FACTS....You can not dismiss or argue them, they are all TRUE . Dont call names and expect to win an argument or sound like a tough guy doc.

Grizzlybare,

Im sorry you went through one of thoses 80's style procedures...that is awful and any doc that did that should be locked away in prison.

To address your statements....No Im not out of money, I have plenty to work with thank you. Frustrated, yes...I can not back out of my early decision that I made when I was depressed and insecure.

If a man at his youth decides to tattoo half his body because he believes it will make him cool or happy and went to the best place in the world....Does that gurantee that 5-15 years later he cant one day wake up and be like "What the f--k did I do to myself!? What was I thinking??...what a moron I was...Look at all these other guys who didnt make such a dumb move"....THATS how I feel everyone...try and comprehend it.

As for baldness...I dont see what that has to do with girls being called tramps? There's no correlation. Its VERY accepted in business communities, you can see any Forbes or business magazine and spot a shaved head man.

As for social acceptance...look in any bar, club, restaurant, night club, supermarket...it may have had a negative tone 10 years ago but in 2006 its not only accepted, and trendy, but women truly like it...its a sign of "F-U" to your hair loss. ..and I see beautiful women dating men with shaved heads all the time and that doesnt mean theyre tramps...!

And the difference between your nonsensical comparison of a tramp and a shaved head or HT man...is that someday the tramp can turn her life around ...the HT man is scarred with his decision for life.

Anyone else who feels a need to reply..please read my FACTS I stated earlier and make intelligent thought out comments on the Factual problems with HT's and try to have a little more tact and sensitivity...we are all suffering together (except these scum bag HT docs.

The decision to have a HT or not is a personal one. It isn't about right or wrong. There are bad HT's (unfortunately) and excellent ones (many of them as evidenced here and other places). I chose to have a HT simply because I liked how I looked with hair better than without..................bottom line was that I did it for myself. My wife couldnt' have cared less as I'm sure my co-workers, friends....etc.

C'mon, I don't need therapy because I chose to have a HT. I'm glad I had it and am happy with the results. If a person chooses to have one, or shaves down, or chooses to have a HT (good results or bad) and regretfully wishes they would have shaved down...................that person made the choice, no one else is to blame.

I feel for those who have had unfortunate experiences from HT's. It sucks........no two ways about it. However, I stand behind the fact that, if you choose a quality doc, you will likely have satisfactory HT results. To take the stance that HT's are all bad, shaving down is the way to go...etc. is just personal opinion. Yes, everyone is entitled to theirs..............I won't debate that. What I dislike is for this forum to become a "pissing contest" about right and wrong WHEN THIS IS ALL BASED ON OPINIONS AND HOW PEOPLE FEEL WHICH IS EXTREMELY VARIABLE. Let's not label people here or start name-calling, please?? It's so childish.

Grizzlybare- glad to hear you've finally been able to correct the 26 year-old plug issue.........Dr. Konior is a gem, especially with hairline and repair work. You may want to use this link to assist you in determining the amount of grafts needed for coverage. It is calculated based on square centimeters and you usually need at least 45 grafts per sq cm for the appearance of density. I just had crownwork done to cover a pretty big area....click on my attached blog to take a look at the results thus far. It's still pretty early in the game but it's coming along.

I hope you'll be able to share your results with us. Your experiences will be a benefit to the site- keep postin'!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I think Just-a-guy misunderstand the "tramp stamp" reference, funny since he had just finished talking about tattoos and how some people regret getting them. Now anybody who disagrees with him must be a transplant doctor posing as a satisfied transplant recipient! Obviously this guy is incorrigible, immune to contrary evidence (anecdotal and photographic), and loves wallowing in his depression and bad decisions in full view of everyone else here. He's also a master of bad prose and hyperbole ("any doc that did that should be locked away in prison!") So can we please end this pointless thread if he's not here to rectify his situation and learn from the rest of us? I'm tired of reading the same repetitive entries and being told that I need a therapist b/c I was interested in hair transplants....

Let me ask a question to the forum...

IF some of you guys are so happy about HT's who have done them...why are you spending your time on these forums? Shouldnt/wouldnt you want to get an HT, and put it out of your mind?

About 5 years went by from my first HT to my second and I didnt think twice about it and especially didnt go on a forum about it.

People on this forum are looking for REPAIR, which is a huge topic for people like me who realize their MISTAKE (which,DUH!!...Repair is the topic of this so involved debate and anyone on here is either looking for genuine HELP or is a doc/marketer looking to drum up business...isnt that common sense!!! or are you saying that guys with great results who are happy, take their time to read an post to repair or ht forums?!)

Photographic evidence? Are you kidding me? Go on hairlosshelp.com and look in thd doc gallery of their best patients...the afters look like guys who are still in need of HT's most of the time...you CANT NOT take 5000 grafts and fill the top of a head...

YES, in SOME cases, there are acceptable and even good results...however, Im not arguing that... and those cases are few and far between....No one on this site with "amazing" results should be on a forum topic like this , if youre so happy, you would move on with your life.

Facts: Marketers and docs control and distort these sites from guys who want answers and help..and many many guys are in a depression and upset and regretful about there bad decisions with HTs..not just because they were bad docs...but because of doing it at all.

Depression, and sadness is NOT something to joke about or make light of,...thats sick that you guys would do so.

IF YOU ACTUALLY READ MY FACTS I WROTE, (which I'll be happy to cut and paste for you ), NO ONE is arguing it...no one...everyone is sitting here bashing me..and I can not believe a fellow HT victim/patient, would have no empathy or compassion for another man going through this...Only a doctor would be so cold hearted to someone who WAS suffering from depression.

YOU guys are the ones continuing this thread...just stop bringing up nonsense and it wlll be done with. This topic is about repair..I made a post or 2 with FACTUAL arguments in it and then rebutted attacks against me from whom I think are marketers or doctors for reasons Ive stated above.

Bad prose? Interesting..again, read my facts and debate them.

By ignoring the list I wrote earlier of problems and issues with HT's only proves my points.

JUst-a-guy, as I said before, you're in SEVERE need of many many quality sessions with a psychiatrist. That goes without saying. You really don't 'get it'. But then again, the mentally challenged, hardly do. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to run my fingers through my thick thick full head of hair & bask in the after glow.

6544 grafts - Dr Hasson 11/30/05

A guy can now get a very good HT, there is no need to walk around bald or shaved.

I am so pleased with mine now, I am considering more and more. After 26 years of self pity, I am now elated about having more done! That is the difference in the techniques now.

My questions were based on the need for information and I got those answered. Which is why I logged on here in the first place.

My comments to you JAG, were for your benefit, not mine. It looked as though no one else here has had a bad HT and I wanted to assure you that it can be fixed and you can shed the real anquish that you now have. Good luck

You ask why we are on this site after a successful HT? Because we are wanting to help others! Wouldn't you have loved to stumble across a site such as this 5-10 years ago (or whenever you got your 1st HT), and then received advice about the real pros and cons, learned about what doctors to go to and which to avoid, seen genuine before and after photos... I know I would have loved that!

I'm so thankful for the advice that others have provided me that I want to return the favour by updating my progress over the 12-month post-op period. I'm sure I will then stop by less often, but will still strive to help others.

You say: "or are you saying that guys with great results who are happy, take their time to read an post to repair or ht forums".

Yes that's true for the reasons I mentioned above. Not everyone reading this or replying to this is looking for a repair as you seem to indicate. Many - like myself - do a search for new posts regardless of topic and read and possibly reply if they think they offer good advice. After experiencing a bad HT and having had a repair from a top doctor, I like to help others. Others who did their good research first and had an excellent HT experience, also enjoy helping others who require a repair. When I was seeking advice from patients on this site on a repair, I received help from many sources - those who have had a repair, and those who have not. Both sides are very valuable.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Just a guy,

Don't feel bad man, this site is one of the more pro HT sites, so people in here take it personally when you bash the HT industry for some reason. I also wonder why people who are happy with their results post on this site. Are you trying to convince yourselves you made the right decision? If I wasn't in the situation I'm in (needing repair) I wouldn't be posting online at all. I'd be living my life, far away from the Internet forums that I feel compelled to read now to try and search for useful information in pursuit of getting things fixed.

So, If hair transplants are so wonderful, why are people with "great" HTs still posting here? If your life was enhanced so much, shouldn't you be living it offline? Unless you are marketing it doesn't make any sense to keep posting everyday unless you are either:

1.) Unhappy with your results.

2.) You are not sure about your results or your decision and need validation from others. I think it's a very common thing for a guy to get a HT and then tell others to go ahead and get one done, it's no big deal, you'll look better, the surgery was painless, the doc was great, etc... just so they can feel like they did the right thing w/ their own HT, and have a sense of sympatico. It is basic human psychology. The board is full of guys like that.

3.) You are marketing/selling.

4.) You are happy with your results, but your lack of hair wasn't really causing the problem, since you are still unable to live a normal, socially functional life even after your appearance has been "enhanced" with the appearance of more hair. These are usually the guys who get an HT and love their new hair and then turn around and bash bald guys for being bald. Self-hatred manifests itself in strange ways. I've read a few posts in this very thread that represent this trend.

5.) You got good results, and you are a good samaritan, and want to do good deeds and prevent guys from getting bad results, so you recommend your doc or other good docs to them, in hopes of just lending a helping hand. If this is the case, go volunteer somewhere, there are people who really need help. If you are regulary posting on an Internet site, I think this is a socially unhealthy pursuit. This is my opinion of course. If you come in here every once in awhile, that's one thing. But guys who are happy with their HT and live on these boards- what are we to think? That they are doing it out of the kindness of their hearts? I believe there are other motivating factors to consider here.

Not all HTs are bad. I've seen some really good ones, but they have been on older guys with limited NW balding. Maybe a nw3 or 4 recession (max) into their 40's. "Slow" balders. Younger guys who get HTs are headed for multiple surgeries to chase the hairloss, have to constantly use meds and topicals to preserve their hair, and if they are headed for NW6 or 7, will look ridiculous as they age, even if they got a "natural" HT because the pattern of hair loss will not be natural, and they will not have enough donor hairs to "spread the wealth," and the donor will recede and show the scarring, trico or not.

We have been programmed to believe that baldness is socially unacceptable, the same way girls have been socially programmed to be thin. There are pleny of guys who like women with a little extra meat on them, and there are plenty of women who like balding men. Think about it. Guys think women don't like them because they are bald, but the truth is that women don't like a guy who is vain. If he is focused on his balding and insecure about it, then it will show in his body language, and a woman will have you marked as insecure and self-obsessed. It's not about the hair, it's about the vibe you are giving off. Not to shift the discussion to women, but that seems to be a real source of the fear/depression/anxiety surrounding MPB- a guy's apparent inability to appeal to the opposite sex.

Wow, hmmmmm, some valid points but, again some generalization regarding men getting Ht's. I don't really think its that complicated. I used to have lots of hair, I would like to have enough to have a decent hairline. Yes I am in my 40's, pretty successful, pretty happy. No my life doesn't revolve around this forum nor my hair. But I care about how I look. Is it the most important thing in my life NO. Clearly there are differences of opinion. I think this thread has about run its course.

Peace.....

Just chiming in here, as I have been known to do icon_biggrin.gif I think for many of us having a HT or seeing results really bouy our spirits and also gives us chance to keep up with the industry. For those like myself, a NW6, I am staring another large session and possibly a small 3rd before I am done. It would be ignorant of me to stay away from this forum and not keep up with how others are doing, not to mention some of the downright good people who frequent this site. If someone is abhorred by the thought of HT's then by all means, voice your opinion. That is our right. However, lumping ALL doctors together is categorically ignorant and uninformed. In talking with many people, I find those who are not happy, did one of 2 things wrong: did not do any research OR based the surgery around price/geography. THATS IT. Anyone who ponied up the dough for a flight to a consistantly successful, top surgeon, seems to be pretty damn happy about it. Those who did not, eventually find their way to one of these doctors. As for living on these boards, what is the problem with that? One could spend the time doing other things, but for many (myself included) this is an interesting topic and I like to see people's lives and appearances change from the time they start until they are finished. Many of these "lifers" give others hope and may help them decide to follow through with a HT, should a person feel it is necessary. All of us have our list of favorites, and we damn well should, because if you don't, you haven't spent much time really looking at the results of a specific clinic or doctor.

Giving back is OK

Wanting to feel attractive is OK

Thinking HT's are wrong is OK

Going to the BEST doctors is OK

Thinking YOUR doctor is the best is OK

Just chiming in guys, and I hope we all make the best decisions for US, and thanks to all who want to give back a little more.

Just a Guy--- I am sorry you feel the way you do, and thank you for sharing your perspective

Alexander-- Although I disagree with you on some things, your opinions and views are well thought out and certainly possess merit.

Cheers!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you incubus...One of the few mature, intellectually thought out and sensitive responses.

Any intelligent person must question why people with "great results" are spending hours a day on a REPAIR forum. As Ive said, this forum is bombarded with marketers and doctors, posing as happy patients.

There is not logical "patient" who would spend hours a day or even 30 min a day to reply and post arguments for pro-HT. If I was happy with my results, Id live life and move forward.

It's one thing to promote a business , as unethical and warped as this industry is. But to insult, put down and attack fellow patients and HT sufferers is outright childlike, mean and cruel.

My factual statements and points were all true and no one has yet to argue those reason I stated to not get HT done. No one. because you can not argue the truth.

I have woken up from my insecure delusions, unfortunately too late. I too was a "happy patient" thinking I did the right thing. These guys too, will one day wake up to the reality of what the truly had done, what they sell or what they have done to insecure people like me.

I wish I read things from someone like myself (and there are thousands of us) before I took the plunge down the dark and depressing and one way ticket to HT.

Originally posted by JUst-a-guy:

Thank you incubus...One of the few mature, intellectually thought out and sensitive responses.

Any intelligent person must question why people with "great results" are spending hours a day on a REPAIR forum. As Ive said, this forum is bombarded with marketers and doctors, posing as happy patients.

There is not logical "patient" who would spend hours a day or even 30 min a day to reply and post arguments for pro-HT. If I was happy with my results, Id live life and move forward.

It's one thing to promote a business , as unethical and warped as this industry is. But to insult, put down and attack fellow patients and HT sufferers is outright childlike, mean and cruel.

My factual statements and points were all true and no one has yet to argue those reason I stated to not get HT done. No one. because you can not argue the truth.

I have woken up from my insecure delusions, unfortunately too late. I too was a "happy patient" thinking I did the right thing. These guys too, will one day wake up to the reality of what the truly had done, what they sell or what they have done to insecure people like me.

I wish I read things from someone like myself (and there are thousands of us) before I took the plunge down the dark and depressing and one way ticket to HT.

Many of us replied maturely, but you chose to ignore it because you did not agree with it.

I already replied to your comments as to why someone would go onto the repair section and spend time to reply. It only takes minutes to reply, not hours a day. And since a HT is 12-18 month process (say, 6 months pre-HT gathering information and 12-months post-op to see final results), what's wrong with people helping others? Nothing. Re-read the comments and you will see that we have in fact answered some of your questions.

PS - My factual statements in this post and the ones prior are also all true.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Just-a-guy,

I dont think we are attacking you. Its just that a lot of us dont share your opinion. Just because you believe in something doesn't make it the gospel truth for everyone. Your right hair loss is a sensitive topic and its nice to have a place like this where we can talk openly about this sensitive issue, and share our experiences on what works, what doesn't and generally the positive impact a HT has had

on our lives and self confidence.

I would consider myself to be one of those people that spend a lot of time on these forums. But like others before me I felt that I have learnt as much about hair loss and hair transplants as I can, now Im just happy to contribite back to this forum and try to help other people that are self conscious about their hair loss. I certainly have nothing to gain from suggesting anyone to get a HT except the satisfaction that I might've saved someone from getting a bad HT that they will regret for the rest of their lives. I was also insecure and self conscious about my hairloss and if it wasnt for this forum would've headed toward having a HT in the UK which I believe I would've regretted. Despite your beliefs just because some of us like to spend time on these forums and help other sufferers does not mean that we are not "Living Life".

Yes some of your points are valid but you only bring up the bad consequnces for having a HT, many of which don't apply if you went to a good doctor and maintain a good hairloss regime. What you fail to admit is that there are actually people out there that have improved self confidence and a happier outlook on life as a direct result of their HT. Just read the posts from Bobman, Troy and Jotronic (just to name a few) you can tell how happy they are with their results and how much of a positive impact their HT's have had on their lives. Now imagine trying to tell them that they should've awaken and just accepted their predicament and shave their head, something tells me there not going to agree with you no matter how *awaken* you've become.

You are entitled to your opinion and your HT experience is also good for potential patients to consider when deciding to have a HT. I do sympathize with your story but I still believe that if you had researched this forum before you had a HT and went to an ethical doctor your outlook would be a much happier one. In all my time on these forums I dont think I have ever seen pictures of patients who went to a coalition doctor regret or actually look worse than what they did prior to a HT.

What would be more helpful in your future posts is that you actually provide pictures or examples of posts where people who you believe have been 'duped' into going to a recommended (i.e. coalition) doc and have actually regretted it. Or even an examples where a patient has had to undergo 'repair work' as a result of going with a coalition doctor. I believe you are implying the above in your posts.

Take Care.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

• 4 years later...

I totally agree with you Just a Guy!

I wonder how all this doctors can sleep every nigth after runied so many young and insecure lives like you and me and many thousands more around the world. What a great business, there is no way out!

• 3 years later...
Guest eddysimpson

Hi,

Consult to an professional and expert doctor. If anyone know skin care specialist then please suggest me in USA.