discreteness?

how's it going folks.

well, My surgery is coming up this Wednesday 13th June @ 4pm. (finally)

I am tired of being paranoid & constantly adjusting my hair to hide the receding front, fed up of every wee gust of wind revealing my baldness.

I shall upload pre-opphotos soon (i have a shaved 1 on my weblog, but presently my hair is long-ish)

I like the carefree freedom of having a shaved head and hope soon to get rid of this fuzzy mop on my head.

My surgery is in Cork, Ireland with Dr. Kiely and will cost 6,000 euros (expensive?)

his consultation was curt & a bit snappish ....he seemed professional but was not in the slightest bit friendly. should i be worried about this?

I'm not worried at all really, i look at it like every cut and incision is the doctor annihilating this damned baldness

this is my plan anyways.......I am working till Tuesday night as usual,told my family I am playing a football match in Cork... i will stay at a hotel for 2 nights (wed & thur)in the lap of luxury, recuperating, and don't return to work till Friday night where i will work alone. This gives me 5 nights to recover before I return to work Monday morning. I suppose my question is, will the effects of surgery be noticable. (i can't wear a hat)

has anyone else tried the covert HT ??

any advise would be much appreciated.

i will update my weblog regularly also

peace

how's it going folks.

well, My surgery is coming up this Wednesday 13th June @ 4pm. (finally)

I am tired of being paranoid & constantly adjusting my hair to hide the receding front, fed up of every wee gust of wind revealing my baldness.

I shall upload pre-opphotos soon (i have a shaved 1 on my weblog, but presently my hair is long-ish)

I like the carefree freedom of having a shaved head and hope soon to get rid of this fuzzy mop on my head.

My surgery is in Cork, Ireland with Dr. Kiely and will cost 6,000 euros (expensive?)

his consultation was curt & a bit snappish ....he seemed professional but was not in the slightest bit friendly. should i be worried about this?

I'm not worried at all really, i look at it like every cut and incision is the doctor annihilating this damned baldness

this is my plan anyways.......I am working till Tuesday night as usual,told my family I am playing a football match in Cork... i will stay at a hotel for 2 nights (wed & thur)in the lap of luxury, recuperating, and don't return to work till Friday night where i will work alone. This gives me 5 nights to recover before I return to work Monday morning. I suppose my question is, will the effects of surgery be noticable. (i can't wear a hat)

has anyone else tried the covert HT ??

any advise would be much appreciated.

i will update my weblog regularly also

peace

HungryHoss, Welcome to the forum. We all understand what you are experiencing.

First off, It is impossible to say if 6,000 euros is expensive or not because you didn't mention the number of grafts the doctor is planning on.

Second, Did you do any research on unfriendly Dr. Kiely? Have you seen patient photos or in person of the doctors work/results?

Unfriendly is ok, as long as he turns out good work.

I have not heard of Dr. Kieley here in the states.

You obviously already have a commitment for a HT with Dr. Kiely, but it's never to late to reconsider as this is a major procedure full of negative possibilties if not done by a Good surgeon.

You may want to step back & do some research on this forum & eleswhere before proceeding with Dr. Kiely.

Some people travel to the states from Europe to have thier HT done by some of the best HT surgeons in the world.

As for your post HT plan, The HT will most likely be detectable after only 5 days.

The recipient area will still be red. If you have long hair ( 1/2" or longer ) Your donor scar probably won't be noticeable.

Any details you can provide would be helpful,

How many grafts will you recieve?

Photos of your hairloss.

Age?

Hope this helps!

HungryHoss,

Welcome to the forums,

How much research did you do on this doctor?

I'll be honest with you bro...if you don't know anything about this doctor except for reading his ad in a newspaper, magazine, etc, I'd cancel your appt, take any monetary loss, and do some research BEFORE you undergo surgery.

Do not take surgery lightly. There are, unfortunatley, a lot of butchers out there (not saying Dr. Kiely is one of them necessarily), and you don't want to end up worse than you are.

I truthfully don't know anything about this doctor one way or the other, but here is my opinion about unknown doctors: don't go to them until they become known for their work. It is better, IMO, to go to a doctor with a proven track record that you, yourself can track from other patients (rather than just from the clinic's website).

Anyway, I don't intend to scare you...ok, maybe just a little. But I've seen too many people get "butchered" because they didn't do proper research on their doctor.

Oh, and a side note: and "unfriendly" doesn't equal "unskilled", but I admit, it's nice when the doctor is friendly...you feel at least that you are in better hands...BUT, some of the biggest butchers out there have been very NICE people.

Regarding HT discreteness,

I recommend you read the following thread:

When will I look "normal" after a hair transplant?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...911028023#7911028023

Bill

HungryHoss,

Welcome to the forum. Firstly 6000 euro is about 7800 US dollers and gets you a lot of grafts from a top Doc in the US.

I visited Dr Kiely and booked a HT with him in 2006. soon after i found this site and quickly changed my plan and am as happy as a pig in shit that i did.

I have no intention of bad-mouthing the Doc as i have no terms of refferance or experience of his work. He was polite and professional with me at my consultation Just not the Doc for me. At the time his max session was 1000 grafts and thats just not enough to play in the big league.

Please do some more reserch, read the forum, PM me if you like. Get as much info as possible and make an informed decision, If he turns out to meet your needs then off you go but concider all options.

IH

HT2 2570 grafts Dr Feller

HT 2350 grafts Dr Epstein

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

hey thanks lads, for the attention and advice

i know none of ye intend to worry me... but your replies did make me think deeper about my upcoming appointment, and sow a little doubt in my mind. However, i have I have been researching as much as i can about the procedure of HT and, although not registered, have been reading this forum for some time.

Bill, i don't know if i want to know, but what are these incidents of people getting 'butchered'?

I know Dr. Kiely says he has been practicing for 16 years so i cant see how this lad can practice here professionally this long and be a Cowboy!

He has worked with Dr. David Seager in Toronto, Dr. Shapiro, and Dr. Walter Unger in NY..

this kind of, not assures me of, but suggests his competence! no?

Folica, my hair currently is about 3" long, (not shaved like the photo on my weblog) and i reckon it should definately cover the donor area and i hope recipient area too. I will upload pre-op photos as soon as i can. oh I am 31 years old.

Dr Kiely never told me how many grafts i would recieve, he just marked out a new hairline and said my donor area was strong enough for just one session. (i did think to ask how many grafts before the consultation, as i had read about it here, but i forgot)

Irish homer, are you from ireland? i did do a search here for Kiely a while ago and read your posts. Knowing the standards in this country do you believe this lad can practice for 16 years and still not know what he is doing... i don't. He also appeared on TV3 in that makeover show.

I have already paid 1000euros deposit, booked 2 nights in a hotel, taken days off work, have planned this meticulously and delicately for the last month and 1/2, and am looking forward to getting it done. I am nervous as i never questioned this doctor's ability untill you lads mentioned it. As someboy says 'you only have one head'

cheers again

It would seem that Dr. Kiely has certainly earned your vote of confidence, Hoss.

It takes a long time to really get very good at this type of work, so when docs have to change to incorporate newer techniques, etc... it may take them some time to really get the hang of them.

So, while Dr. Kiely has "worked" with the docs you mentioned, that does not mean that he shares the same skill level.

I would recommend 2 things before you proceed:

Call Dr. Shapiro or Dr. Unger and ask them what their impression of Dr. Kiely is;

Send Pat (site administrator) a private message asking his opinion of Dr. Kiely-- I think he may have recently visited his clinic in Ireland.

Best advice I can offer you, short of select a Coalition Doc and come to the states.

Let me say as well, it is VERY difficult to prove malpractice suits and most seem to be settled out of court, so just because a doctor has been practicing for 16 years, it does not guarantee anything other than he has been practicing for 16 years.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Think about the cost too. 6ooo euros is a lot more $$ here and you can get a nice trip and a hair op from one of the best like Feller or Shapiro for the same amount approx. and know you are in good hands. Working with them (whatever that means) is not the same as being them and they are on the cutting edge. This is something you have to live with so don't take it lightly. Your head is there for all to see good or bad so make your decisions based pon skill and experience. Take the trip over the pond.

I am indeed from Ireland, thats how i had my consultation in Cork, just did a lot of research and traveled to Miami and NY for my 2HTs and will again for number 3 (hair greed) in the future.

IH

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

HungryHoss,

There are a number of doctors still using older technology and techniques in hair transplantation, and as a result, many are not achieving the results they expected, not to mention looking unnatural, leaving unnecessary scarring in the recipient area like pitting and cobblestoning, etc. For examples of "butchered" patients, do a search on Bosley or MHR and see what you find.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi HH,

I have read a few articles on Dr Kiely on the web & in the UK press. I am sure he is a reputable Dr. who does steady work. With due respect he is probably in the same league as Dr. Rogers & Dr. Farjo who also seem competent.

However, I don't think you should take any chances with an HT and clearly the majority of the world class Drs are in North America. With the Euro/Pound so strong against the Dollar you can combine your HT with a few days break for the same cost as one in UK.

After consulting with a couple of the more highly regarded Drs in the UK I decided to make the trip to NYC for my procedure in Aug. I suggest you give serious thought to travelling for your HT in order to get the best possible results.

Best of luck however you decide to proceed.

"Plan for the worst & hope for the best"

HH,

I know you have everything planned out on how you plan to hide your HT. Its not worth it if you are taking a slight chance to have unsatisfactory results. I would do what B Spot reccomends. If you hear any bad news from Shapiro, Unger or Pat I would run away as far as possible from Kiely.

Sometimes when we feel that we have made the decision final we take the higher risk to go forward with it because of the time off planned. It is not worth it. Good Luck!

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

well first i should thank all ye lads for your good sensible advice and concerns.

After reading your (plural) comments yesterday I phoned up Dr. Kiely's surgery in Cork and cancelled my appointment (which was supposed to be today at 4pm)... I am happy I did.

I am happy with not taking any chances with me oul crown.

The receptionist says i will get the 1000euros back so I didn't lose any money save the consultation money just 100euros.

I now have a few days off work too, so I can do some research on good Doctors in America.... or Canada which i have never been to.

6000 Euros is indeed around $7,800, i can get 'a nice trip and a hair op from one of the best'

So its back to the drawing board.

Will I have to go for a consultation or can I arrange an opperation over the phone, and travel over just before the date and stay a week?

Does anybody have any recommendations? I am fairly open to locations though i have mates in Canada & New York. How do I go about picking one?

Thanks again for all your help

Hi HH,

I think you have done the right think. In terms of your next steps, look at the coalition doctors on this site and spend a while familiarising yourself with their work.

View patients pictures and research this forum and other before making a shortlist of say 4 or 5 Drs. You can then do online consultations by submitting pics of your situ which you can discuss with the Drs over the phone before making your final decision.

There are a number of good Drs in New York that are recommented on this site. Hasson & Wong are amongst the best and are based in Vancouver, Canada so a little more travelling distance for you.

Again, there is no rush, so spend time researching before you take the next steps.

Good luck.

"Plan for the worst & hope for the best"

Hungry Hoss,

You may try Blaine Lehr in Oklahoma City, OK. he charges $3 per graft and does very good work. I am happy with the procedure, although it is way too early to tell how they are growing. He says black eyes are a possiblity, although unlikely. You can get a flight into this city and leave with a headband and hat, no bandages. He does a strip method with sutures that dissolve. I have used tylenol for pain, and it has done just fine.

www.norwood-lehr.com

HungryHoss,

Good decision.

Take some time and do some research.

I recommend choosing researching the Coalition doctors: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp who have proven to be the best of the best surgeons.

But don't just select a coalition doctor randomly...look for real results posted by real patients (at least 10-15). Look for consistency.

10 years out,

Though I appreciate your enthusiasm of your doctor, keep in mind that you just had your surgery done and the final result is yet to come. I recommend reserving all judgment (positive or negative) until at least 1 year post op. However, I do hope you share your pictures with us, before surgery, and immediatley post op, and that you will keep us updated monthly with pictures so we can follow your progress.

Bill

Hungryhoss, No one can accuse you of not being open minded! icon_smile.gif

No one here actually knows if Dr. Kiely would have done a good job or not.

However, You have just taken the pressure off yourself and you will be confident & pleased when you get it done after doing some research first.

I cancelled appointments two times before feeling confident enough to get it done!

Happy that you got most of your money back too. icon_smile.gif

Enjoy your time off from work!

Cheers,

HH.

A big decision taken on your behalf, what you have done is give yourself time and options for your HT, there are plenty of top Docs recommended here, for my 2 cents have a look at Doc Fellers site and contact Spex for information. good look

IH

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

Hey Hungry Hoss,

Your doing the right thing. You 've got some good advice. I myself live in Dublin. Initially i wanted to get a hair transplant in Ireland but after much research i decided to look at doctors in America. A year later and im still researching. I looked at doctor Kiely's site/Blackrock clinic and felt very inticed. Pat the publisher visited Blackrock clinic and was very impressed by Dr Collins work. Pat said in a posting that the only reason why Dr Collins is not a recommended surgeon on the site was because of the laws in Ireland preventing Pat from listing an Irish Surgeon. But Blackrock clinic is ubber expensive. 10 Euro per graft. Thats a lot of money. You d pay a quarter of that per graft in the states.

I know what its like, i think everyone on this site understands the anxiety and frustration associated with hair loss.It sucks. But take your time bud. While some doctors are great, other people in this industry don't give a flying F**K about the well-being of the patients.

Badger

hi hungry,have you considered the drs farjo in manchester? ive had transplant there and 16 months on i am happy with my results.dr farjo is very approachable and very enthusiastic,his team are the same.i looked at your log and noticed you have the same level of hairloss that kieron bracken the come dancing/rugby star had. he had surgery with the farjos, have a look on their website for his results.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Hey there, yeah i feel it was a big decision but am 100% glad i cancelled, and am also glad i signed up to this forum. (i should have a long time ago)

anyhow, my next step is to start on Proscar, for which i got a prescription from my doctor.

I have taken appropriate photos and will send off to certain coalition doctors for online consultations.

Also I shall post on my weblog.

I have been looking at cases of hairloss which are a similar level to mine, like that rugby lad..thanks Balody.

got to get my photos up for some input!

cheers boys

HH

good to hear you're happy with your decision, the reserch and learning starts now. Take your time and look for advice, theres plenty of good people on thes forum and they won't see you wrong.

That makes 3 Irish on the boards now, the take over is starting. icon_biggrin.gif

IH

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

well i thought it was a bit strange getting the money back with so little notice, i was lucky i didn't pay any money up front. Don't know how you would approach the problem, at the end of the day did you sign anything to say that you would lose the deposit if you cancelled.

The lesson of the lost deposit will be forgotten when you have a great HT from a top Doc.

IH

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920