Dr. Umar - 5300 FUE and BHT

Taz

Im gonna have to agree with what LMS said, well most of it. I don't think BHT is a substitute just yet, however. I do think dr. umar is doing the best he can with repair cases.

Just like you said LMS, those patients will do just about anything to get some sort of coverage..

I guess we will never know with this "taz" character. I hope he can weigh in if he sees this thread.

Anyways, im done with this topic.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my opinion is that it is difficult enough to control the growth characteristics of donor hair from a strip session as evidenced by the many outcomes i see where the hair is wirey and crazy. With BH the trajectory of the hair is chaotic at best. Pair it with better behaving head hair and you get a most unnatural outcome.

Not to mention the growth characteristics. you just dont get 6 inch long body hair. so a mismatch there as well. I side with LMS that $15k and 6 months later the OP was probably a little dejected. I hope I am dead wrong.

At the risk of starting an endless discussion, I can see how speculations and imaginations can run rampant. The fact is that I make all efforts to secure follow-ups in my patients. Despite best efforts, it is not unusual for some patients to choose not to sustain follow-up requests. Regardless, it is rather unfair to expect a doctor to account for all patients posting on the internet regarding none follow-up to threads they had initiated on their volition. It may be a good idea for readers to sometimes consider the fact that individuals have various things in their lives that could equally compete for their attention and sometimes it is much more important and pressing than the forums or even hair recovery treatment follow-ups. The majority of my patients have posted follow ??“ ups in a statistically significant fashion that should put to rest wild speculations at this time.

dr umar.. you want to help with this topic?? then provide your beliefs not only about THIS case but past cases like it. are you still doing procedures like this?? if not then why?.. u did the work didnt you??..... look this thread is about BHT DR... 2 years ago you were stretching the envelope and doing 10,000+ procedures claiming that BHT would allow for FULL RESTORATION on NW7s. i remember CLEAR..

here is the BIG problem DR...your BHT claims got SERIOUS once you started acting on them and throwing chest/leg/beard/pubiic hair onto VIRGIN SCALPS!!! perhaps you really thought it was a viable option back then... regardless, of your intentions i feel for the guys who were your test subjects.. and there is NOTHING you can do that can correct the emotional trauma that these 'test subjects' have/are going through as a result of believeing what YOU told them about what BHT can do for them. i would bet you didnt tell them it had the potential to ruin their life tho....

AND ANOTHER THING.. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE MANAGED TO ELIMINATE MOST OF THE DISASTER CASES FROM OUR VIEW, AND JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE LUXURY OF BEING ABLE TO HIDE BEHIND THE "THEY JUST STOPPED FOLLOWING UP WITH ME" EXCUSE DOES NOT CHANGE WHAT IS TRUE. i remebmer dr umar, when you were preforming BHT procedures on VIGIN SCALP guys that makes even this case look small. EVERY case i followed online blew up in your face and you fell under ALOT of criticizim and questions(questions you hide from until the thread eventually fell out of the public eye) all those cases ended the same way, and some of the threads were even removed at the PATIENTS request because of the intense emotional trauma he was under.. man ive been around and spoke with MORE THAN ENOUGH people behind the scenes to feel plenty confident in stating ALL of this...

Dr. Umar im speaking DIRECTLY to you right now... you have done a nice job rebuilding your once shot reputation... i pray that you have become a better more effective DR through all of this. so atleast SOME good will have come, at the expense of the VIRGIN SCALPED guys who trusted your BHT on such a large scale...

here is where you are 'in luck'... the VAST MAJORITY of this online community FORGETS, or they simply never see the whole story becuase forums are ongoing.... IMO this is your 'saving grace'.. almost as soon as i post this the thread will fall.. fall into the unseen and be forgotten eventually...

but i can assure you that there are indeed guys like me who saw this whole story play out DR UMAR. and i can assure you the VIRGIN SCALPED guys u used to test your BHT beliefs on will NEVER FORGET THE WAY IT TURNED OUT. i wish you the best in your future MORE CONVENTIONAL FUE procedures.. your patients deserve great results.. same goes for ANY patient who chooses to have a HT....

and one last thing while im on a role... the talk about SOFARSOGOOD's "successful" BHT, i find down right laughable.... sofar is a guy who has had 16 strip procedures(not an exaggearated number) in his past NONE OF WHICH CAME FROM DR UMAR... the guy had a FULL HEAD OF HAIR PRIOR TO HIS TINY BHT SESSION AND FRANKLY I QUESTION HIS NEED FOR ANY OF HIS PAST PROCEDURES IN THE FIRST PLACE. and so this sofar character who IMO is a PURE BREAD CHEERLEADER, gets like 600 thin ass leg hairs put into his hairline takes ONE snapshot of it im MORE THAN FAVORABLE conditions and lighting, and im supposed to believe that BHT IS A SUCCESS??? wow, some of you guys are just sooo damn easy to sell... do you people even realize how little can be done with 600 thick HEAD HAIRS??? let alone 600 thin ass legs hairs.. NOT GRAFTS PEOPLE.... HAIRS.... 600 leg hairs.........gimmie a break.

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

I also remember those threads on HLH. I could never understand why the hell would anyone, (except for repair patients),put PUBIC or BEARD hair on their heads. I couldn't even understand why any ethical and professional Dr. would do that!!! Some people are just ridiculous...D.'s and patients....Well said LMS, I agree 1000%..I'm in your corner on this one...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery..

LMS,

Your presentation of sofarsoggod's case is false. He had over 1000 leg hair used to soften the pluggy hairline imparted by his prior multiple strip procedures. No one claimed all his hair to have resulted from BHT surgery. Rather his hairline was refined by BHT. You claim that his result is c/o an opportunistic well staged single picture. On the contrary, his result was viewed by many of the paying doctors on this site at an ISHRS meeting 2 years ago as well as numerous posting by sofarsogood himself and an objectively documented youtube video shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_8uYbMTa4I&feature=channel

I have my name and clinic attached to every statement I make on the internet. It is easier to spew fantasies and slanderous remarks with only the reputation of a pseudonym at stake. My reputation is evidenced by my work, the words of numerous patients I have been honored to work on as well as other HT doctors that presently refer their 'hopeless cases' to my clinic for repair. I started offering BHT in 2005. And as of 2005 we have produced successful cases that are still widely discussed on the internet today including active forum participants (sofarsogood, heliboy, praying to name a few). I stand by the statements I have made since I started offering BHT. The same statements have remained unaltered on my website to date. Please do not attribute the statements or work of other clinics to me in your accusations. As a physician with a very busy 'hands-on' practice I would have very limited time to spend in endless and pointless blog discussions that center around the conversations going on in the heads of certain individuals regardless of their motivations. The majority of the patients that get BHT at my office are hapless victims of various procedures that I don't see you complain about. These are real individuals whose lives were literally destroyed and in many instance redeemed successfully by the procedure you seem determined to undermine.

To those who would like to deny the role of non head hair donor, I would refer you to these well documented cases. Let the public determine for itself on merits and/or demerits.

Various BHT and FUE videos on my website

or

Various FUE and BHT videos of my patients on Youtube

A NW6-7 individual should not have a head only based strip surgery since he stands very little chance of getting a natural coverage and concealing his strip scar at the same time. Yet I see these cases in my clinic. They had been promised a solution to their NW 6-7 using 4000 strip derived head grafts. We have resolved such cases using head and non head hair to garner the necessary number that can even begin to address the graft count needed to cover that level of hair loss.

A decent proportion of my repair patients that have required BHT for completion were patients that have had strip procedures in the past. Poor yield and depleted head donor supply as well as bad scarring are usually the recurring theme in these repair cases. Has that justified a blanket criticism of strip HT procedure in general?

The majority of the patients that get BHT at my office are hapless victims of various procedures that I don't see you complain about.

yes Dr. and THESE repair cases should be the ONLY patients you even consider BHT of THIS magnitude on IMO... thats been my point the whole time.. the problem came when you started throwing thousands upon thousands of BHT grafts onto VIRGIN SCALPS, claiming it was a viable option for a NATURAL looking full head of hair... its not.. those virgin scalped NW 6-7 patients who believed your words got f**ked. period... i think you know better now, atleast i hope you do...

about your faithful, overpowering follower, sofarsogood... thank you for correcting me.. it seems i was 500 thin leg hairs off. my bad...

dr. i can assure you that my words and my remarks are NOT "fansasies". frankly, seeing you dodge the threads on HLH and now your attempts to lable my post as fantasy tells me all i need to know about how you run shop... personally not a big fan

if your still testing 6,000 to 10,000+ BHT procedures on virgin scalps then god have mercy on you. this type of procedure is NOT THE SAME as a thousand beard hairs into a strip scar... or 1100 leg hairs into an ALREADY FULL HEAD OF HAIR.. while your 'repair' cases show improvements its still quite far from natural looking head of hair

BTW, i have seen the same tired vids of the SAME 3 to 4 "feature patients for some time now... might wanna cosider an updated soon

as for this video, http://www.youtube.com/user/DrSUmar .... i personally find it sickening, on many levels....reminds me of BOSLEY ads, or Alvi ARMANIs website... the sad thing is it actually works on many desprate guys. not on me. i know better

hate to repeat myself but somebody has got to call out the BS. it IS that important... we dont need anymore guys getting their heads f**ked up with unnatural pubes/pithair/ chest and beard hair all over their heads... enough is enough..the BEST docs in the world have thier hands full just keeping close to a 90% FUE yield using HEAD hair.

dr umar.. best of luck with your conventional FUE results.. here is to hoping those results speak much better for you than cases like this one

Swagger,

I don't have a problem with you sharing your opinion. In fact, I too have the same reservations about the success rate of BHT given the lack of consistent compelling evidence to support some of Dr. Umar's claims. I too have my suspicions on why several patients on this forum who started sharing their BHT megasessions on this forum suddenly stopped prior to completion.

However, you really need to learn how to control your temper, eliminate the use of profanity, and voice your opinion more respectfully. Your current tone and constant use of the "F" word only proves that you have a problem controlling your temper. Frankly, your message is turning out to be more harrassing than informative and any valid points you are making are lost in your profane use of language.

It's only natural to speculate since we don't know with certainty what happened to the posters who disappeared before sharing their final results, However, voicing conjecture as fact is dangerous and unfair.

As it lists in our terms of service:

"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this software service to post any material which is of a commercial or promotional nature, knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB."

I expect that if you want to continue with this discussion, that you'll restrain from using profanity and differentiate your opinion from absolute fact. You can certainly make your points clear while being more respectful.

Thanks,

Bill

Dr. Umar,

While "Lost my Swagger" should be more respectful, not present conjecture as fact, and eliminate his use of profanity, members of our community have posed a number of legitimate questions and concerns regarding the viability and success rates of BHT over the last several months that to this day, remain unanswered.

Frankly, it would be far better if you could address the legitimate concerns and questions of the community regarding BHT than to engage in an "attack" and "defend" dance with one particular member.

Years ago, I recall several cases presented where norwood level 5, 6, and 7 patients enthusiastically began reporting their BHT megasession cases with monthly photos. Unfortunately, they disappeared before the results have grown in. Whereas I agree with you that it's unfair to assume they were all failures, to date, there are only very few BHT success stories to choose from. Considering how many BHT procedures you've performed over the years, I can only assume that you have documentation and photos you can present showing additional success cases?

Do you still perform BHT megasessions on virgin scalps? If so, what is the average hair growth yield in your experience? If not, what's changed? How many of these procedures would you say you've performed? How many would you consider successes? Do you have documentation and photos on all your success stories? If so, where are all the examples? What about the failures?

I still believe avidly that body hair is much better utilized as "filler" hair after all scalp hair has been depleted, or for extreme repair cases as you've shown a couple examples of in the past. I think I recall you stating something to this affect as well. Do you agree with this? If so, why did/do you perform BHT megasessions on virgin scalps?

I also recall you saying that at best, BHT typically yields about 80% growth and since the average life cycle of body hair is shorter, it takes more body hair than scalp hair to create an adequate illusion of density. How does this impact your decision on whether or not to use scalp or body hair?

Most importantly, do you have new examples of successful BHT restorations - in particular - megasessions on virgin scalps?

I think addressing these questions and putting forth the evidence to substantiate your claims will help members understand more on your philosophy on BHT today and how it's similar or different than it was years ago.

Remember that doctors practicing surgical hair restoration for a few years when asked to substantiate their claims of success regarding strip surgery can present dozens of examples on the fly. It's the lack of numbers and consistency in the examples that's leading members to question the success and viability of BHT - which in my opinion, is perfectly understandable.

Best Regards,

Bill

I agree with Bill, Dr. umar its time to step up to the plate and anser these questions or you risk losing your credibility. You keep referring to the same three patients yet I'm sure you have performed hundred's of surgeries. Where are the results? IMO BHT should be used as a filler as well. And to this date, the only person who I would trust to do that on me is DR. True since he is the only one who has explained his methods and what one can expect from such a procedure.

hdude,

You're being unreasonable. Dr. Umar attended the ISHRS scientific meeting and made a presentation on BHT to other doctors. He's posted before and after photos of his patients; and some of his patients are willing to meet with people like you before a surgery is scheduled. No doctor is going to take kindly to the hysterical attack that LMS has posted.

He shrouds his FUE w/ secrecy in general; I wouldn't hold my breathe expecting the BHT subset of this to be much different. Puts an even greater onus on consistently showing mind-blowing, transparent results before I'd even consider him.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

How secret can he be if he makes a presentation to a meeting of doctors that specialize in hair restoration? I think if you look in the archives that Pat Hennessey visited his clinic some time ago and had positive things to say about it.

Unless I'm badly mistaken, his own patients -- not just prospective patients, either -- aren't desired to even *look* at his instrumentation, let alone be given a candid dialogue on his methadology.

I'm not sure what he has or hasn't presented to some doctors; but if I had to guess, it had little to do with what matters most, at least to me -- that is, his actual tecnique and skillset. If it did have to do w/ that, I'd be truly shocked that such an overture of vital transparency wouldn't be shared to prospective patients, in addition to these doctors. Maybe he presented the docs with some of the amazing, transparent results that I alluded to wanting to see -- if he did, it would benefit him to post them to the patient-public. I'd be one of the first to sign off on them.

I respect Pat, but regardless of what he had to say, re: his visit (and I don't know what the specifics are, so I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing w/ whatever he said), it wouldn't alter my opinion insofar as my concerns and demands as a patient would still remain....concerns over FUE, BHT, secrecy...and ensuing demands for transparency regarding what kind of power-tool is dicing up my head, and how this tool is being used.

EDIT -- I spend, and have spent, a lot of time on a lot of forums...if really basic, really important stuff like this isn't in the slightest bit known to me it doesn't bode well...and I'm not alone in the dark, either...

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Bill, ill be more respectful... let me apologize first to Dr. umar for using profanity, but its important that he, and you know that if you cut through the profanity(which was never used as namecalling btw), i stand by everything i have said and am confident that i can support everything ive said.

IVE SAID THIS ALREADY BUT ID LIKE TO STATE IM NOT CALLING INTO QUESTION DR. UMARS CONVENTIONAL FUE RESULTS, BUT RATHER HIS RESULTS WHITH BHT CASES LIKE THIS ONE AND OTHERS EVEN LARGER...

if Dr. umar is still preforming procedures of this magnitude lets hear it... if he is NOT lets hear why..

Do you still perform BHT megasessions on virgin scalps? If so, what is the average hair growth yield in your experience? If not, what's changed? How many of these procedures would you say you've performed? How many would you consider successes? Do you have documentation and photos on all your success stories? If so, where are all the examples? What about the failures?

all valid questions IMO raised here by Bill. infact his whole last post is a good one IMO. i think it would serve the community well if dr. Umar would take the time to address questions like these..

Those who are interested can read the highlights of Pat's visit to Dr. Umar's clinic by clicking here.

In my opinion, Dr. Umar is arguably the leading BHT physician in the world and has accomplished some amazing things with it.

However, due to several legitimate concerns regarding transparency and the questionable consistency of BHT in general, we had decided months ago to no longer consider him for potential recommendation.

Ultimately, if Dr. Umar wishes to win over his critics, he will need to address these concerns and be completely transparent with his tools, technique, and results.

All the Best,

Bill

Bill...there should be another section other than inside the posts where people can follow up cases...if someone presents a case in a post it should be transferred to another part of the forum so it can easily be referenced...i agree with swaggers argument that some cases get lost after time due to posting after the fact...the cases get lost in hundreds of posts...i think this would be a good feature for all.

best regards

no pain no gain

i have been very interested in the BHT procedure...i have unusually thick body hair that has the same color and texture as my head hair...i have followed Dr. Umar for a long time and have yet to see substantial updated cases...i am sure that there is a few cases out of many that have a successful result, but it seems these are few and far between.

my question to Dr. Umar is if the yield after BHT are substantially lower then why is it so expensive to get a procedure done...i know it is time consuming but it seems like money is the overriding factor in preforming these huge BHT procedures.

finally, you can't tell me that everyone is a candidate for BHT...just like strip surgery there should be some subjective decisions that need to be made as to whether or not someone is a candidate...i see dr. umar taking ultra thin hair from a leg and putting it on the scalp...how can this create a beneficial cosmetic effect? if he had some sort of criteria on who is a candidate and who isn't this would also be more assuring...currently it is my assumption that dr. umar approves this procedure with anyone who has body hair.

no pain no gain

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

Swagger,

I don't have a problem with you sharing your opinion. In fact, I too have the same reservations about the success rate of BHT given the lack of consistent compelling evidence to support some of Dr. Umar's claims. I too have my suspicions on why several patients on this forum who started sharing their BHT megasessions on this forum suddenly stopped prior to completion.

However, you really need to learn how to control your temper, eliminate the use of profanity, and voice your opinion more respectfully. Your current tone and constant use of the "F" word only proves that you have a problem controlling your temper. Frankly, your message is turning out to be more harrassing than informative and any valid points you are making are lost in your profane use of language.

It's only natural to speculate since we don't know with certainty what happened to the posters who disappeared before sharing their final results, However, voicing conjecture as fact is dangerous and unfair.

As it lists in our terms of service:

"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this software service to post any material which is of a commercial or promotional nature, knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB."

I expect that if you want to continue with this discussion, that you'll restrain from using profanity and differentiate your opinion from absolute fact. You can certainly make your points clear while being more respectful.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

I must admire your fairness in this matter. I would be surprised if Dr. Umar would be interested in participating in this kind of discussion given the atmosphere in the forum. I am sure running a one Dr. clinic, plus his participation in endless research towards the betterment of all facets of FUE HT work keep him more than busy. The presentation of his work at the convention before all of his peers speaks volumes as to why, according to your own words, "he is arguably one the leading BHT doctors".

As for statements made by roscoepoce, his statement assume that Dr. Umar will take any BHT patient that comes along. This assumption is patently false. Some of you are also members of HLH. Look up the threads started by a angry ORP967 (a few months ago). This patient was very upset because Dr. Umar turned him down as a viable BHT patient. ORP967 posted his discontent on several threads all over HLH. He also tried to smear the docs clinic by stating they never return email or calls. What? Anyone who has personally dealt with Dr. Umar's clinic knows this is just another falsehood. Granted, since Dr. Umar answers all of his own email, it may take him a couple of days to get back to a patient.

That is all I had to say. I am not a paid consulant, just a guy who dreamed about an HT for over 15 years. Thanks to forums like these, I came across a good doc. I am happy with my results. For years I though HT must be a myth, because if not, why didn't more bald guys get HT's? I was pleasantly surprised to find out FUE/HT is not a myth, and really can be good in the right hands.

You all have a good day,

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Atticus,

I see that you had 600 grafts with Dr. Umar....that is not a big number, meaning that you were probably around NW2.

Another point, if you read carefully, LMS was talking about BHT on VIRGIN SCALPS, not regular Head FUE. There is a HUGE difference.

Another thing, Dr. Umar's secrecy about his techniques....that's in itself is a huge problem for me. Check out Abbe's results and story with Dr. Umar (BHT), Abbe didn't get any information on the tools used by the doc, he pretty much just ignore his questions about tools, techniques, etc.

Just my $0.02

atticus-- yes, i too will be QUITE suprised if Dr. Umar takes part in this discussion any further.. however, NOT for the reasons you seem to believe... i see dr. umars name frequently surfing this forum, in fact he was on for a good bit of time yesterday... and while i most certainly appreciate his taking a break from his "endless research" and his "one doc clinic" Dr. Umar failed to address ANY of the questions raised by Bill, Thana, and others... the "atmosphere is no longer a hostile one my friend... its NOW become one of simple questions being left un-addressed by your dr.

atticus- you have 8 total posts on THIS forum... without looking i would bet every single one of them involves Dr. Umar..i would also bet that most, if not all are just as 'suppotive' as this one... and that is fine i have no problem with that... but i do think it needs to be pointed out that you seem to have ONE and only ONE common trend with your posts on this forum and others...just one..

BTW--600 grafts is an VERY small number.. you must be VERY lucky have have VERY little hairloss.. im glad you had a wonderful experience tho... i would bet ABEDOGG, and HAIRJORDAN would greatly appreciate you posting some current pics as both of them are awaiting their own umar FUE result.

you asked yourself "why didnt more bald guys HTs?" right?? then you go on to say that dr umar saved you yet i dont think there is ANYONE here who believes 600 grafts is anywhere near enough to make a cosmetic difference on a "bald guy"

OBV you are not bald, so why compare your situation to that of a "bald guy"?...

BTW-- dr. umar does not pay you, according to you.. i must say IMHO, i think he should.. youve more than earned it after all these years IMO.

**EDIT*** HairDew-- sorry for throwing my post infront of yours we were both typing at the same time, however YOU managed to make the points i tried to make MUCH MORE CLEARLY with less words.. good post

Atticus-

I would like to see more updated pics from you if you have them.

Also, Umar does run a one doc clinic but he needs to add a patient consultant in my opinion. I think he's a very nice guy and I think I'm going to get a good result, but sometimes it does take him a while to respond to email.

Others -

Umar doesn't share his technique and I'm actually ok with that (although I would have preferred to know). I know that everyone will not be ok with that and those that are not, should not go to Umar unless he decides to disclose his technique. And I know most of us who research anally (including myself) would prefer to know so I think regardless of what he uses, transparancy would be good for business.

I feel that hiding his technique has contributed to many people believing that he is hiding results.

My 2 cents -

On a happier note, I feel encouraged by lots of recent sprouts.

Abe

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website