Laser Hair Therapy debate between Dr. Bauman and Dr. Feller

Dr. Feller, a HT is NOT a cure by any means.

Most people's donor hair thins with age, and some, like my grandfather, lose all their donor hair by the age of 65.

Moreover, the place where you move the HT donor hair to will thin even if you take Propecia (which, by the way, you were against at one time), so at best, a HT will give most NW5's 10 years of being a NW3, or give most NW3's 10 years of being a NW1 or something to that effect.

Please don't make overzealous overconfident statements all the time as there aren't many women to try to impress here.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tembo,

Don't get all caught up in semantics; and maybe think about tuning down the personal references.

An HT is as much a "cure" for an "aliment" (if you want to call bald skin a disease state) as a cast is for a broken arm; or a dental filling is for a cavity. Is that really so hard to accept?

Sure, nothing is 100% and nothing lasts for "life", but an HT is about as close to a "cure" as humanity has ever produced for anything. Your refrences to aging and thinning in other areas has nothing to do with my statement and does not detract from the crediblity of it.

But lets not take the thread off track. It's about the bogus "treatment" of hair loss through laser light and how it's greatest proponents have failed to support their wild claim.

This thread is about as long as I've ever seen one get, and STILL not ONE proponent has provided us with consistent and varifiable proof. That includes the ethically challenged doctors who SELL LLLT to a lay public for thousands of dollars, and the educationally challenged manufacturers of the product itself.

I sincerely hope this thread, though blunt, exposed the mysticism, psuedo-science, and self-serving hype created by LLLT proponents and has saved the average reader of this site from hanging their hopes and spending their money on pure garbage.

And for those of you who absolutely MUST try LLLT, just go to the local toy store and buy a laser pointer and rub it on your scalp. It's the exact same "active ingredient" as $500 laser devices and magical laser hoods. This way it will just cost you LESS to realize LLLT doesn't really work and then you can give it to your kids to play with.

Dr. Feller

I agree with you Doc. Funny Tembo would think this is a place a rich doctor from New York would come to impress women.

Yep. That's why I'm here as well. LOL.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Dr. Feller,

Though this is off the beaten path from the original topic, you are really stretching the word "cure" here to defend your original and misleading statement. Newer members or guests only just starting to educate themselves may be confused by your wrongful use of the word.

The word "cure" can be defined as a restoration of health. This implies that an ailment not only discontinues but is reversed.

A cast in itself does not cure a broken arm by restoring it. It only immobilizes and protects the arm so it can heal properly on it's own. The "cure" is the body's internal healing process.

A filling doesn't "cure" a cavity but restoring the missing piece of tooth, it simply fills the void with something artificial. There is no "cure" for a cavity.

Hair transplantation does nothing to stop and reverse hair loss - thus it is not a "cure". It is a surgical procedure to help cover our baldness with real growing hair from other areas of the scalp. The natural progression of hair loss is in no way impacted by surgery - thus the reason why finasteride is still highly recommended by physicians to complement their hair transplant.

And now, back to lasers!

Bill

wow!!!! ok it took me at least 25-35 min to read everybody's comment and I gatta say that I understand why Dr.Feller is kinda strong on his position.

The people that claim the laser works simply fail to provide the basic proof to their claim.

I am very pissed off because I used HairMax Laser comb and it never worked,if it did I wouldn't get the HT I got on March 13!!!!

who is ganna pay my money back !

IF LASER DID REALLY WORK AND DID GROW HAIR,IT SHOULD HAVE REALLY REPLACED PROPECIA AND MINOXODIL AND HT BY NOW !!!

I can totally relate to Dr.Feller for being very strong on his words because the guy can clearly see how these people would do anything to make money !!!

I believe in debate and open discussion but I believe in drawing the line at some point:

THIS TOY DOES NOT WORK !!!

It has been given enough time,and they have made enough money off it,it's time to put a stop to it.

I SAW how propecia slowed doesn my hairloss over time and how Rogaine grew some hair (mostly baby hairs) on my hairline !!!

But I never saw any difference using the comb and I was dumb enough to try the comb first instead of using the FDA approved drugs.

I found the comment by "16inchscar" to be the most interesting one.I always wondered about that too !!!

what makes these people qualified to do such an important task of the HT?

Perhaps if would be great if Bill could be kind and open a new disucssion for that.

Of the two people who "installed" my grafts, as 16inchscar said; one of them had a M.D. and the other lead tech was pretty damn smart sounding and looking.

I doubt she came from a hair salon. Maybe in some places, but I would say that Dr. Cooley carefully trained someone with a "nursing" background rather than a hairdresser's background.

Nothing against hairdressers, but there might be a few out there but I doubt that's a field any great number come out of.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

• Moderators

Well the "doctor" who did most of the work on me turned out to not be a Dr which he admitted to me 5 years afterwards, so who knows what background any of the techs had.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

"Though this is off the beaten path from the original topic, you are really stretching the word "cure" here to defend your original and misleading statement. Newer members or guests only just starting to educate themselves may be confused by your wrongful use of the word."

Bill,

I don't know why you keep insisting that I am "misleading" people with my statement that HT is a cure for baldness. It simply IS. Your statements to the contrary are YOUR OPINION and your definition of "cure" is your own.

In the real world of medicine, when a physiological problem has been treated to the point of finality it is effectively CURED. If you have a lung infection, and you take antibiotics that resolve it, the infection is CURED. How many more analogies must I make?

Bald skin suffers from only one "aliment" and that is the lack of hair. When the hair is permenentely replaced (as in hair transplants) the problem is CURED.

Dr. Feller,

I don't intend to say that you are intentionally misleading people, but the statements you are making are misleading themselves.

With all due respect, it is highly dangerous to use the word "cure" in the same sentence as "hair loss". If you want to say that hair transplant surgery is a cure for the present effects of hair loss - ok - I'll accept that. But "hair loss" is a progressive condition and simply put, there is no cure.

I wonder how many other physicians would say that hair transplant surgery is a cure for hair loss?

In the real world of medicine, when a physiological problem has been treated to the point of finality it is effectively CURED.

In what way does hair transplantation stop the progressive nature of hair loss thus bringing it to "finality"?

Ironically you proved my point with your example:

If you have a lung infection, and you take antibiotics that resolve it, the infection is CURED.

An antibiotic DOES cure a lung infection because it restores the lung back to health (takes the ailment away and restores it).

How many more analogies must I make?

I guess until you make an analogy that actually fits icon_wink.gif

Bill

When people speak of "hair loss" it means just what the two words mean: loss of hair.

There is no reference to future hairloss, progressive hairloss, or even what causes the hairloss. You added those dimensions, not I.

When hair is GONE and it is REPLACED it is CURED.

The statmenet is clear as day and does not represent any kind of misrepresentation.

It's only dangerous to use the words "Cure" and "hairloss" in the same sentence if that sentence does not refer to hair transplantation.

For example:

LLLT is a "cure" for "hairloss"---> FALSE

Propecia is a "cure" for "hairloss"--> FALSE

HT is a "cure" for "hairloss"-- > TRUE

I can't disagree with you and PGP more vehemently on this issue. Thankfully, this is NOT the topic of the thread.

I just think there are better words then a cure.

If you could replace full density and stop further loss with a transplant then the word cure would fit .A transplant is more about an illusion then a cure. I do agree with you vehemently about laser being a scam . Oh by the way Im not looking for an apology icon_smile.gif

PGP,

I know you're a good guy, but what in the world would I have to apologize for?

I think part of the problem here is that you and Bill view the word "cure" incorrectly to mean "miracle cure". The kind that happens after the "laying on of hands" or "taking the waters at Lourdes".

Those are not real-world cures. They are "make believe"- like laser combs. Real world "cures" solve the problem in a meaningful and long lasting way.

If bald skin is the problem, then HT is the CURE in that it provides enough missing hair to cover that skin in a cosmetically signficant way. I just don't see how it can be made any clearer than that.

Calling HT a CURE for BALDNESS is a bold statement, but it also enjoys the benefit of being TRUE.

I never claimed it was a cure for the active process of BALDING, which is something Bill added on his own and you mistook as coming from me.

If any apology is wanting, I believe it is from both you and Bill. But I won't wait for your apologies either icon_wink.gif

Dr. Feller,

It's only dangerous to use the words "Cure" and "hairloss" in the same sentence if that sentence does not refer to hair transplantation.

This is contradictory to what you are calling a "cure".

If a filling "cures" a cavity (as in one of your analogies), then cures for hair loss must include:

1. hair transplantation

2. wigs

3. hats

4. bandanas

5. concealers

Any others we can add to the list?

All of them effectively cover our balding areas but none of them stop or reverse hair loss like a "cure" implies. icon_smile.gif

Bill

I always liked your work and expertise but especially your sense of humor.

Can a nw 7 be cured of baldness?

Its not that I think your totally offbase I just feel that word is EXTREME and if it does have merit it doesnt apply in every case.

I would consider a cure to be successful 100% of the time ,transplants arent

I suppose we both interpret the word cure differently. No ,a miracle cure would be full density on top of the entire head even on a nw7.

I will be a man and apologize for not agreeing with you icon_wink.gif Remember Im one of your biggest supporters so be nice,and dont call me a shill icon_razz.gif

Bill,

Your joking to keep this tangent going, right? You must be.

If baldness is the absence of LIVING hair, which is EXACTLY what it is, then replacement of these hairs with those that can GROW is surely the CURE.

Since wigs, hats, bandanas, and concealers CAN'T grow hair they are NOT in the running.

Since meds like minoxidil and propecia need to be taken on a regular basis, they are not in the running.

Hair Transplantation stands alone as the only true cure for bald skin.

PGP,

OK buddy, I hear you. I apologize to you as well... for you not agreeing with me! icon_wink.gif

Let's end this kooky tangent and get back on track.

If these 7500 or so hairs I had planted in my head 2.5 months ago will actually ever grow, I darn sure will consider myself "cured".

Hey, I'm a believer on this one and declare Dr. Feller the winner!

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week