27 Year Old Considering FUE w/ SMG. Thoughts??

All,

Thanks for the helpful information on this website - its been very informative. I am considering an FUE in February with Dr. Ron Shapiro and just wanted to get everyone's thoughts about the extent of my hairloss and any thoughts and/or recommendations for the future.

I'm 27, no real history of hair loss although my father has a receding hairline - but it was definitely not to the extent mine has receded when he was my age. I've been on Proscar for about 1 month and ordered some Revita shampoo as well. I feel like my donor area is thinning as well but I'm not sure if that is psychological or not - and my crown/front hairline is definitely thinning and becoming less manageable and more wiry/brittle.

I'll also attach some photos. Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

Top.JPG.bef98278d7b91044f7d015d993772e66.JPG

Donor.

This is what concerns me a bit as it seems to be thinning out. I talked to Matt Zupan from Shapiro and he thinks it may be the lighting in the photograph, in addition to the fact that my hair is cut extremely short and the angle of the camera may be taken right at the angle that my hairs grow so the light passes right through. I took a few pictures from a straight-line angle and it looks better. Regardless, I still think I am losing some in the back. Would this be problematic for an FUE at this age?

Donor.thumb.JPG.4b114b3ca4169262fbed246316bc889a.JPG

I would wait a few more years before doing any surgery. You are right, your donor area does appear to have some signs of thinning; it looks like a high nw level is possible. you need to look beyond just your dad's hairloss, too. And it can come from either side of your family. good luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Crosby,

Are you on any proven non-surgical hair loss treatments like Propecia, Rogaine, etc? If not, I'd strongly recommend it...especially since the donor area appears to be thinning out as you said. Assuming your hair loss is genetic, Propecia may help reverse some and thicken some of the thinning hair all over the scalp including in the donor area.

In my opinion, try medication first especially due to the thinning donor area and after a couple of years, re-evaluate whether or not hair transplant surgery is for you.

All the Best,

Bill

Being a young guy and getting a HT makes meds *such* an integral piece to the puzzle. I'd def agree that with that said, and your potential donor thinning, getting on meds, seeing how you react, then re-evaluating would be wise.

And a SMG FUE session would certainly be world-class, so you may want to consult with them anyways just to start familiarizing yourself with them early on.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thanks for the comments and feedback. I'll post another donor area picture in a few days - I really think the lighting and angle factor in to that photograph. Also that was Clipper #3, very short and not usually how short I keep my hair.

I've been on Finasteride for about a month. Been in conversations with Matt Zupan from SMG for a long period of time. Just bought Revita Shampoo as well. Not on Rogaine or any MInoxidil however - thoughts on that?

Originally posted by Crosby:

Thanks for the comments and feedback. I'll post another donor area picture in a few days - I really think the lighting and angle factor in to that photograph. Also that was Clipper #3, very short and not usually how short I keep my hair.

I've been on Finasteride for about a month. Been in conversations with Matt Zupan from SMG for a long period of time. Just bought Revita Shampoo as well. Not on Rogaine or any MInoxidil however - thoughts on that?

Personally, I would just stick to Finasteride for now. Since you've only been on the medication for a month, there's no telling how effective, or ineffective it will be. By placing Rogaine/Minoxidil into the mix, you'll never know which, if any, of the meds are benefitting you. Give Finasteride at least 6 months and then reassess your situation.

Yeah, I wouldn't rush a HT at this point. Your hairline doesn't look bad though there is some apparent recession.

As for the donor thinning... could you possibly be a diffuse thinner? Your sides above your ears looked better than the back... which may be due to the lighting. It is true that many of our donor densities can decrease while we age...

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Yeah, so stay on the proscar... and of course, a FUE w/SMG would turn out great.. But give the meds time.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks again for the feedback. I feel like my hair is so weak and unmanageable due do it being so thin. If I run my fingers through my hair - I usually get a few thin hairs in my hand and I find myself constantly re-combing my hair because a slight breeze can even push it.

Should I get on Minoxidil too? I was a bit nervous about the 'heart risk' associated with that drug. Also, as mentioned, I purchased Revita shampoo and look forwards to getting on that.

Hey Crosby... there is nothing wrong with waiting 5-6 months to see if you experience any sides from the meds.

Waiting to get a HT is NEVER wrong.

Alternatively, those in your position, a bit younger, looking to boost existing native hair, not lowering the hairline and keeping options open for the future is exactly what doing FUE is for.

In your case, you've been on meds for a month, so by Feb you will have been on meds for 4-5 months so you could stay in Feb or maybe look at March as a possibility.

Again, if your feeling pressure to do something, not sure, etc....just wait!!!!

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Jason -

Exactly my thoughts and what Matt Zupan advised as well. Booked for Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE first week in February.

If we need to push it based on my reaction to the medication we can cross that bridge if need be.

Originally posted by Crosby:

Jason -

Exactly my thoughts and what Matt Zupan advised as well. Booked for Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE first week in February.

If we need to push it based on my reaction to the medication we can cross that bridge if need be.

Maybe this is when I should schedule with Dr. Ron. Crosby and I could have FUE sessions the same week. I'll be 27 then and it would be a similar case. I'm not a diffuse thinner but I have temple recession (mostly on my left side). I've also been on Finasteride for 10 months.

How many grafts are you getting? What is yours and Dr. Ron's game plan?

Game plan is between 1200-1800 grafts using FUE. Do you have pics posted - it would be interesting to see how we are similar, if at all.

I've been on Finasteride for about 6 weeks now, and Revita shampoo for maybe 4 days. I hope it thickens up soon. I'm getting really frustrated!

Crosby, I think your hair looks fine right now & a traumatic FUE procedure may only hasten the thinning of your existing hair.

I think the lighting in combination with your short dark hair, light scalp, thick hair shaft & low density provide an undesireable contrast. Similar to that of Asian characteristics. You should take that into consideration since you are already looking into FUE.

Think about it. If you have several thousand FU's extracted from your already thin appearing donor area, given your short hair style & characteristics you may have a worse problem then you started with!

I would think very hard before going down that path.

As for propecia & other hairloss drugs, you must be prepared to make a life long commitment to taking these drugs or until something better comes along. You can quit after you start but you will loose any benefit that you may have gained.

I just believe that you are not a candidate for a procedure at this point & probably not for at least 5 more years. As for the propecia etc..thats something you should research & consider.

Atomic - Could you expand a little bit? Why do you think it is a bad idea? What do you mean 'traumatic FUE.' I won't have several thousand extracted, it would be a 1200-1800 max procedure, quite small.

Crosby,

As with strip, fue can also result in shockloss in both the donor & recipient area's.

The trauma from fue comes from the blunt force of extracting fu's. As you know a punch is used & a tourqe action is applied to extract the fu's, possibly damaging adjacent follicles.

Shockloss may occur leaving you with a bald or thin spot in the donor area. Shockloss may or may not be permanent.

Given your short hairstyle & lack of density it would be hard to conceal.

With a strip procedure the strip is pulled back together thus reulting in less scalp.

With fue the fu's are plucked out leaving the donor area thinner. With the possibility of scarring that again, you would have a difficult time concealing.

You half to look at your donor area & consider if you could spare 1200 to 1500 Fu's & the possibility of scarring & or shockloss.

That is why I say you may be better off to leave well enough alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Crosby, I'm in your age category and I got a HT. I have also been taking Propecia and have noticed regrowth...my receeding hairline was similar to yours too. I just posted pics about my process tonight. I didn't go to Dr. Shapiro, so I can't comment on his work, but Dr. Gabel did an outstanding job and he is a pretty cool guy. Even flew up to Seattle from Portland to take out my stiches.

Here are where my pics are posted.

http://hair-restoration-info.c...66060861/m/590109284