Body Hair Transplantation

I'd like to hear physicians' thoughts about body hair transplantation, especially since this issue has been raised in recent days vis-a-vis tony71's case in the recent Dr. True thread. Since Dr. Feller seems to be around today, perhaps he could start us off? Or some other physician with views either pro or con?

I'd like to hear physicians' thoughts about body hair transplantation, especially since this issue has been raised in recent days vis-a-vis tony71's case in the recent Dr. True thread. Since Dr. Feller seems to be around today, perhaps he could start us off? Or some other physician with views either pro or con?

forgive me for being ignorant, but why would anyone want a body hair transplant? Which part of the body is the transplanted hair suppose to go? I can understand adding more hair to areas to help define facial features, such as eye brows or mustache or beard, but why would anyone want hair transplanted on their body? In these days of metro-sexuals, isn't excess body hair viewed as unattractive?

HT's are limited by scalp donor availability. If you run out of scalp donor hair (ie. excessive hairloss) you don't really have any options until some sort of HM or stem cell technology comes online, and then the only way to know for sure that there are not adverse longterm effects is to test a large sample of individuals over time. BHT offers additional donor supply. at this point results are mixed, with each practitioner using their own techniques. if the technology progresses to the point where yield is on par with scalp HT and donor scarring is not an issue, then bht is a potential cure for individuals with sufficient funds and body hair

s

Body Hair Transplantation is an unethical offering and should only be performed on those who know that it's success/failure rate has been actively hidden by those clinics performing it.

I have asked the most high profile clinics who offer bht to produce the results of just 15% of the number of bht patients they've done. To date, over 2 years later, there has been nothing but silence. A few photos here and there, but nothing approaching a consistent result.

I notified my state's (New York) office of medical conduct to be aware that offering this procedure to the public, especially as an alternative to standard scalp to scalp transplantation, should be considered fraudulent and misleading to patients. Shortly after notifying a high profile clinic that I had done this, that clinic stopped offering bht in New York State.

There are very few doctors who've performed bht and therefore there are very few who can comment on it's efficacy from experience. I have performed them, for free and on an experimental basis since 2002, and have found this procedure to fail most of the time. The yields are very low and the caliber of the hair are very thin. Not to mention that those few hairs that do grow tend to maintain that classic body hair or pubic hair "kink". Not something I would want on my head.

Dr. Feller

FINALLY!!!!! A Doctor who makes a definitive statement on BHT!!!!!!

Thank You Dr. Feller!!!! Your sentiments echo my own.

Thanks Again!!!1

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

bht is the only hope for extensively bald men, those who suffer most from this disease. if it doesn't work, we should figure out why and improve the techniques so that it does work. if we give up on it, we are giving up on men who have no scalp donor left and no other options

s

Originally posted by scientist:

bht is the only hope for extensively bald men, those who suffer most from this disease. if it doesn't work, we should figure out why and improve the techniques so that it does work. if we give up on it, we are giving up on men who have no scalp donor left and no other options

s

I think the Dr Feller was clear enough: results cannot be guaranteed and it may fail. If you have the money, accepts the risk, and still want to go ahead you may do so. If I was a #6 or 7 and barely had enough for a "thinning look" hairline, I would try BHT for the rest--anything to get rid of a shiny head.

At 30, I possess enough donor and scalp laxity to make partial restoration a reality, but only in the hands of a TOP doctor. I do not agree with BHT as an option for restoration. I also think that we should continue to experiment with it, using test patients, closely monitored and detailed over long periods of time. I think that was what Dr. Feller meant by his assertion. I believe that selling BHT as a PERMANENT SOLUTION to hairloss is unethical, but again, if one does research and is aware of the risks, then fine, but it needs to be documented. I know that I have lost almost the entire male balding pattern, and until I exhaust ALL of my donor, I will not even think of BHT, and if I did, it will be crown only.

This is a great thread and other than one stupid comment, a respectable exchange of information.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

bht obviously isn't for everyone. if you have poor body hair characteristics, or if you shave your body hair and it doesn't grow back for a month or two, then you shouldn't transplant it to your head.

there are potential benefits to bht technology. if you have a strip scar that you want to fill in, instead of using scalp hair and being concerned with the donor area being noticeable until it grows back and heals, you could use body hair and you could go back to work the next day without any worries

s

• Administrators

Over the years I have grown tired of watching how some physicians over sell unproven procedures on the forums, long before presenting them to their colleagues.

We'd all like to believe that BHT works. Some have wanted to believe it so badly that they have paid tens of thousands of dollars to be experimented on only to have dismal results.

Yet the physicians who took their money, while happy to foment excitement about such procedures online, were resistant to providing follow up regarding the many failures.

Thus BHT benefits from the patient's strong desire to have it work, even before there is proof.

In my opinion, at this point physicians who are experimenting with BHT should be offering it to their test subjects for free and reporting not only the initial surgery but the follow up.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Originally posted by Pat - Publisher of this Community:

Over the years I have grown tired of watching how some physicians over sell unproven procedures on the forums, long before presenting them to their colleagues.

We'd all like to believe that BHT works. Some have wanted to believe it so badly that they have paid tens of thousands of dollars to be experimented on only to have dismal results.

Yet the physicians who took their money, while happy to foment excitement about such procedures online, were resistant to providing follow up regarding the many failures.

Thus BHT benefits from the patient's strong desire to have it work, even before there is proof.

In my opinion, at this point physicians who are experimenting with BHT should be offering it to their test subjects for free and reporting not only the initial surgery but the follow up.

I agree with that, although I haven't looked at all the doctors doing BHT, just one who I know does this very thing.

I couldn't agree more with Pat. In fact, I've already done what he suggets from 2002 to 2004 and have found that bht is just not worth it to patients. That's why I never charged a dime for it.

It truly urks me that there are doctors out there still offering this procedure. One very high profile doctor performed massive bht on a patient who came to me after NONE of the bht grew. I have video of me and my staff literally squeezing out the dead but unabsorbed follicles from his scalp. I will post this on this thread when I can figure out how.

BHT as it is performed today should be dropped. Instead, perhaps, larger areas of skin containing bodyhair should be removed to decrease stress on the graft. Of course there would be far more scarring, but I have found some patients have no problem with it. I think this is the direction bht should go, if anywhere, and I might dive back into the experiment if I can find the time and enthusiasm.

One thing is for sure, to me, current FUE technology for body hair is a dead end. Other doctors who offer this should either prove me wrong, or stop charging patients for this inconsistent and poor procedure.

Wow again, I believe the pics are posted on hlh, and if my guess is right doctor he received around 10k grafts bht. No final pics ever released and his staff that post on the forum keep delaying pics...amazing thanks Dr.Feller. I go to New York every year for work in July, this time I am going to make a visit to Great Neck (sorry if I sound ignorant, but that sounds like the boonies)