Body Hair Transplantation

What he is referring to is my suggestion that if body hair is to continue, it probably should NOT be done with FUE, but rather with larger areas of skin removed intact.

Perhaps not as a strip, but large punches may be the answer, say 5mm diameter.

One thing is for sure, if this method is utilized and the results are STILL pitiful, then it proves that bodyhair IN GENERAL is simply not a practical HT option.

You are right to a certain exent Jake, but there have been doctors who have actually removed strips of skin from the chest and upper leg regions, as opposed to doing FUE version of BHT. Given the closure techniques they have minimal scars, but there is no guarantee of growth using this method either.

I would like to see if ethnic background has anything to do with the success of failure of BHT, in addition to hair type and age as factors as well. I hope that we see physicians going away from this unless it is a FREE testing procedure, and these same docs follow and document both success AND failure.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

if you do find the time to start experimenting again, there are easier things you could try before going big and leaving large scars all over someone's body (i'm sure you're familiar with the luckyman fiasco). i did see one case on another forum where a doctor took a strip from just above a patient's pubic area and arranged the grafts on his head, it looked horrible

try getting your patients to apply minoxidil to their donor regions for a couple months pre-op, and then have them shave their donors a couple days pre-op and only transplant body hairs that are actively growing

i would hope bht would progress to the point where yield is at least on par with scalp hair and there is no visible donor scarring

s

here's one link

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?cati...20&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

you can search his name on other forums

he went to dr umar for bht and had significant body scarring on his chest, people argued about it for a long time, i think it was mostly a red herring used by people looking to hurt dr umar's reputation, i'll attach a pic of his chest

s

Mis7.jpg.08056b4e91a34d8aceb399f1d2bd67cd.jpg

This is a very interesting thread and I'd add that this supports my suspicion that one should simply stay away from BHT at all costs. Interestingly enough, the very first consult I had with Dr. Katz who performed my first surgery was very wise when he said something like "the reason why BHT doesn't work is because body hair is 'fur' not hair." If you think of dogs as an example, there are dogs with hair and dogs ith fur. Hair continually grows and must be cut, where fur has a stopping point before it sheds. Apparently there have been few successful cases with BHT, but it seems they are very few and far between. Again I say....avoid BHT like the plague until consistent positive results can be achieved.

Bill

He didn't grow out Dr. Feller. I admit, I think something was going on between Umar and Cole, but that doesn't change the fact that his BHT did not work, period.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Yes B spot, I agree. Forget all the static of who did what and when. The bottom line is that the results from all the high profile clinics who offer bht have been by and large poor. A few good patients here and there, but NOT nearly enough to justify this unethical procedure.

The truth is we, as HT doctors, need to start over again with body hair. It is becoming obvious that FUE is not the method to successfuly obtain them.

But I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater yet. If body hair is in fact physiologically compatible with the scalp, then we need to find a way of removing them without damaging them, which is where I think the problem is. Again, FUE is clearly a dead end in this regard.