Average Cost/Qualification Question

I was just wondering what the average costs per graft is. I recently had a consultation with Dr. Ziering, located in newport beach, CA and it was priced at $7 for the first 1200, and $4 after that. Is that high or about average? I know the saying is "you get what you pay for," but what do top doctors charge? Also, does anyone know if Dr. Ziering is a good qualified doctor?

From what I've reserarched, It's around $4.00/graft, even by the top docs. A lot of the top docs will charge $4/graft for the first 2000 or so, then even less for every graft after that, like $2/graft. Some docs even throw in some free grafts or will "dicker" on the price a little. I'm not sure as far as exact numbers, because every doc price varies. But I will tell you that $7/graft for strip is high IMO. Also, is Dr. Ziering employed by MHR? If so, I would be very cautious. They are charging more so they can pay for all of their advertising.

USCMan,

You seriously do not want to let geography be a factor for you. The best doctors are available in the US/Canada so I would research these forums and results and go to the doctor you think is the best. I flew all the way from the UK for my HT to go with the doctor who I thought was the best in the world for me. You should do the same, $7 per graft is very expensive and is at least $2 more than what you would pay per graft for the best surgeons in the world. The only people I know to charge that much are hair mills run by sub-par doctors, this high price is a necessity to pay for their commission based sales and expensive marketing campaigns.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I paid $2.00 a graft with Nuhart in Atlanta Georgia ..got 2173 grafts..It was worth the flight.I checked alot of other places first..I have learned that, in getting a hair transplant its a jungle out there..everyone trying to get as much money as they can from you..There is also a Dr in California named Richard Ochs that will do $2 a grafts with 10% off for travel. He has been doing it for many years and uses blades not needles.

Originally posted by Lon:

There is also a Dr in California named Richard Ochs that will do $2 a grafts with 10% off for travel. He has been doing it for many years and uses blades not needles.

what do u mean, he uses blades not needles? was your ht done w/needles?

Yes mine was done with needles. There are recommended surgeons from this site that also use needles..Limmer, Lehr, ect. Most say its not so much of an issue of using needle or blades, but the skills used to use them.Its just that i hear blades cause less trauma and shock loss.

Look under search on this website and you will see discussions on this topic. "Most" are the people I have talked too about it..Surgeons and other informed patients

USCMan,

The price range I have come across after talking to some of the most talked about surgeons on this blog is around $4.00 to $6.00

for the first 2000 grafts and $3.00 to $4.00

for 2000+ grafts. Hope it helps.

USCalum!

Don't get ripped off...its much less, unless you like throwing money out the window, for which I will be waiting below.

Use the top docs as a guide.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Originally posted by Mark H:

Apparently needles are used by some, and blades by others, but I have heard that where there is existing hair, needles can cause less trama to existing hair.

I'd be interested to hear others comment on this.

mark h

Of course, it will always ultimately come down to the physician's skill, but this is true. For instance, Dr. Cooley used needles to make the incisions in my forelock between the existing hairs. It's impossible to ever say if one doesn't have positively NO shock loss, but if I did it certainly wasn't noticeable.

You can see the incisions that I am talking about from my first procedure on my hair loss weblog .

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

USCMan,

Welcome to our forum. You've already gotten some great advice from other members in the above posts.

I just want to state that in my opinion Dr. Ziering is to be avoided at all costs (regardless of price). He was formerly with MHR and churned out several patients a day until opening up his own mini mill in Southern California. His PR machine has garnered him plenty of media glitz, including "Extreme Makeover". But those who know the real story are not fooled by this Hollywood buzz.

From information I've gathered from former MHR employees, reputable surgeons, and Dr. Ziering patients - I highly advise you to consider another clinic for your hair restoration. Nuhart also has a history of poor patient satisfaction.

Those who know my posts over the years know that I rarely post negative comments. But I couldn't in good concience not comment given what I know.

Stick to physicians with a proven track record of outstanding results and you'll not only get great results but fair pricing. Ironically some of the most talented and ethical surgeons are also the lowest priced - go figure.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Hey Pat,

This forum wields some power with respect to HT doctor's reputations, and I'm impressed with how responsibly it is used. The best doctors seem to realize that too.

The point is to find, and help others find the best doctor, and get the best advice, right?

There's a whole other site for complaining, and discussion of lawsuits and such, and I'm glad it exists too, but its just as well that the two are separate.

On a related note, since its been early days for me here, I've taken my concerns about this and that into private discussions. However, although I always get responses in the public forum, my private messages get answered only about half the time.

I'm wondering if many people just don't see, or aren't aware that there is a private area?

Finally, as a sysop on a discussion board myself, I'm well aware of discussion board limitations, but is it possible to inclue hair blog links in a person's profile?

Many times I read a post and think, "hey that guy's pretty sharp, I wonder if he has a hair blog". But when I click on his name, his profile says nothing about it, and I have to hunt around.

Maybe its there and I don't see it, but if not it would be a good add.

mark h

• Administrators

Mark,

I would agree that more than anything else this community is about helping people identify the very best hair transplant techniques and physicians. Every forum has its own flavor and emphasis.

Having hosted this forum for over five years I really am impressed by the collective wisedom of those active on this forum. Members of this forum are generally very respectful of each other, genuinely helpful and IMHO provide the most well thought out posts and advice.

There are now well of forty blogs on this community that share the ongoing hair restoration journeys of various people. Some of them also embedd a link to their blog in the signature of all their posts, which is excellent.

To learn how to create such a blog and embedd a link automatically in your signature visit Blog Instructions.

All the best, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• 3 years later...

I have to admit that Dr. Ziering doesn't perform much of the surgery. Yes, he claims to have done 15,000+ HT in 10 yrs with most help from his staff. It seems like a true estimate given the lack of personal attention toward patients, not even mentioning cost. On a positive note, the nurses seemed very professional and I only hope they did a good job. I better have outstanding results to recommend Ziering given the price range and lack of respect (not calling or seeing me the day after the procedure). If the hair transplant is not bad, then I would recommend you to travel and get yours done by a top surgeon, or at the very least look for others in the LA area. I'm almost 2 weeks post-opt and I agree with everything said about his ethics, unfortunately. I am trying to keep an open mind though. My hope is the donor scar isn't too bad and the hair transplant was amazing -- at $6 / graft, it damn well better be. I didn't bargain because I felt the surgeon would be offended and not put in as much time. Go figure. Only time will tell if I am happy with the result.

USC MAN: IM originally from la and decided to have my surgery here in cali.regarding average cost, it could be as expensive as 7 to 8 dollars a graft. You should consider dr. ochs in beverly hills, I just had my surgery there 2 months ago. he charges 2.00 a graft (each graft contains 1, 2 and 3 hairs)he planted 1600 grafts for about 3k. He has a good staff and the pain during surgery was minimal.I m seeing all the sprouts coming out right now and cant wait to see the full effect.

In the end you should research well, this site has great doctors, I chose my doc strictly for economic reasons and i was lucky thank god. Beware of really cheap transplants though, always make sure youre doc is licensed and can back up evidence of having performed hair transplants( the more surgeries hes done the better)

cheers

juanc

1000 grafts with dr rosanelli

1000 grafts with Dr. Peterson

1600 (july 17) with Dr. Ochs

hairlust : how much did Peterson cost you? he retired years ago. i got ripped off, and if I do like my results, then I'll make par. too bad the price was so high $6/graft and i thought "Dr. Ziering" was the best ... i won't stress, it's done

Originally posted by Mark H:

On a related note, since its been early days for me here, I've taken my concerns about this and that into private discussions. However, although I always get responses in the public forum, my private messages get answered only about half the time.

I'm wondering if many people just don't see, or aren't aware that there is a private area?

Mark H, I tried to send you a Private message but the system said you cannot take them ? Am I doing something wrong ?