Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Surgical Hair Restoration > Hair Restoration Questions and Answers

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Hair Restoration Questions and Answers Post a question for other knowledgeable forum members here. Any hair loss sufferers with good advice are also encouraged to respond.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Top  
Old 12-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Follicular Salvation Club Member

EL, I am surprised that you experienced that much swelling from a procedure of 3500 grafts. I wonder how much saline was included in the injections.

Generally speaking, post-op swelling in the forhead shows up about three days post-op and then lingers for another three days. We call it the 3/3 rule. Larger procedures can involve more swelling and show up quicker because of the trauma caused by all of the recipient incisions.

The effects of gravity pull the fluid down the face so possibly the band is preventing the fluid from pulling down for some of you.

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Glenn Charles, Boca Raton, FL - Dr. Jerry Cooley, Charlotte, NC - Dr. Jim Harris, Denver, CO - Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin, New York, NY
  #12   Top  
Old 12-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Guru Real Hair Club Member

It is common to have the swelling to even go down into the eye region.

As stated by many...people react very differently to surgery. Perhaps you are simply more sensitive to this type of surgery? Hopefully things get better for you.
  #13   Top  
Old 12-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Follicular Salvation Club Member

It doesn't have to be a big mega session to cause post operative swelling. I've seen our FUE patients who had 1000-1500 session in the front/hairline have swelling just as badly as a patient receiving 3000+grafts. The rule of 3/3, which Gillenator is referring to is true. It starts at the top of your forehead at post op day #3, post op day #4 moves down to top of your eyebrows and po day #5 it's below/around your eyes. The process lasts 3 days as it moves down the face. The swelling does not impede growth or harm your grafts. Cosmetically speaking, you can look like you've been beaten up by the mob but it's short lasting. The headbands or skin tape on the forehead need to be worn for the first 3-4 days after surgery to ward off the swelling. Just because you don't see swelling the day or two after surgery does not mean you are out of the woods.

If a nerve block is used during your procedure, you will experience some swelling and bruising around the eyes the evening after surgery. This swelling is not the post operative swelling we are referring to and generally lasts less than 24 hours.

Many patients travel the day after surgery since there are two more days before swelling appears, if at all.
I don't believe I've ever seen any of our patient experience what ELondon experienced with such swelling at PO day #1 and #2.

YouTube: Shapiro Medical Group's Videos

Follow us on: Facebook

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Last edited by Janna; 12-10-2010 at 04:45 PM.
  #14   Top  
Old 12-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Honorary Real Hair Club Member

Dmac,
I didnt have a large session (1500 grafts) but I did have a lot of swelling starting around day 2 to 3. It was controled well with ice. Since I couldnt really sleep then, I was able to ice a few times over night as well. I wouldnt worry too much about traveling while looking like a pumpkin head. Its certainly common for ht patients to travel the next day or 2 after but if I had it to do over again, I would stay put near the clinic for a few days just for peace of mind.

Levrais

View my patient website:
http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com...asp?WebID=1874
  #15   Top  
Old 10-13-2012, 04:37 AM

Default 2nd HT Procedure - Much better experience

Thank you for all your helpful posts. I have just undergone a 2nd HT procedure to work on my vertex and I have to say the post op experience has been much better. I believe this is due to the work been to the top of my head and the 2nd clinic (Ziering) providng steroids to reduce swelling. The after care follow up has also been better with calls to check how I am on the first night and 3rd day.

I have to say that non absorbable stitches are MUCH more comfortable than staples and the thick absorbable stitches used in the my first strip session. Staples prevent you from sleeping properly and cause pain until removal 10 days later. This does not help your body recover and so cannot help the healing process. I believe the swelling, lack of sleep and general debilitation affected the rate of growth I saw from 3500 grafts. I will post more on strip removal and nerve damage on a more relevant thread.
  #16   Top  
Old 10-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Honorary Real Hair Club Member

Hey guys, currently 4th day post op with Dr Rahal and I am one of the lucky ones, swelling wise. 4k session and have had very minimal swelling, however I didnt move from the 45 degree angle position for the first two days. A couple of guys from the guesthouse have not been so lucky and look even more swollen than ELondons profile with pronounced "black eyes". Obviously everybody is different, but for me I put it down to staying strictly in the recommended position for as long as possible.

Regarding travelling home after surgery. I'm flying back Monday, 6 days post op, I know that this is not possible for everybody but knowing how I feel now and how I felt the day of and 1/2 days after surgery, there is no way I could have comfortably traveled home immediately afterwards.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Rahal
  #17   Top  
Old 10-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Hard Core Real Hair Club Member

frontal hairline and temple point work might be more susceptible to disfiguring, albeit, temporary swelling

also, if additional anesthetic is provided throughout the surgery in these areas