Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Surgical Hair Restoration > Hair Restoration Questions and Answers

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Hair Restoration Questions and Answers Post a question for other knowledgeable forum members here. Any hair loss sufferers with good advice are also encouraged to respond.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21   Top  
Old 10-13-2012, 06:14 AM

Angry losing transplanted hair

I am surprised that the doc told you the transplanted hair had been taken from a donor site that was too LOW. Usually they say that the site was too high and therefore contained hair that would have fallen out of your scalp given time. My hair continues to thin, especially on the front left side where I already have had the two "touch ups". I try not to worry about it but it does concern me. There is now a broad swath of thin hair running from the crown to the front of my head ie where the transplants and scalp reductions were done. If the original surgeon who did this work was still alive ( Dr. Dorman ) I would be seeing a lawyer to investigate the possibility of a lawsuit. The transplants were supposed to last a lifetime. This statement was in his brochure which I still have.
I do not take propecia any more and I am aware that this increases fallout of non-transplated hair. I feel that messing with my hormones is not something I want to do anymore. I know the hair transplant industry says Propecia is safe for the vast majority of men, but I don't trust them at all.
I don't know why anyone would have a hair transplant these days. I would wait and see what new treatments are possibly going to be available in a year or two . I am hoping that the hair transplant industry will be made obsolete by new treatments which are currently under development and testing. Then the transplant doctors can go back to being regular doctors.
BTW, I have noticed that when my transplanted hair is going to fall out ( it goes in phases ), the scalp gets itchy and there is sometimes a burning sensation. This is especially noticeable at night and may wake me up from sleep. Have you noticed this?
We certainly are not alone in this and I agree that we will probably never know what is the percentage of men who have had this problem with hair transplants.

Last edited by htloss; 09-10-2013 at 01:25 AM.
  #22   Top  
Old 10-13-2012, 11:02 AM

Default losing transplanted hair

Thanks for your response htloss. my first doctor is still alive and making money from transplants. I doubt a lawyer would do much good, because no cosmetic surgery is ever really guaranteed. that is their universal "out." Your case and mine have some eerie similarities. I too was a steadfast user of Propecia but discontinued for a short period of time due to all the cited concerns of resultant sexual dysfunction from prolonged use. I am again, however, using it, as well as saw palmetto. My most recent transplant loss, like yours, was also accompanied by an itching and/or burning sensation of my scalp. and some noticeable small "bumps." much like what I would imagine psoriasis would feel like. although I have never suffered from this. I wonder if this represents the body's rejection of the new or transplanted grafts? I feel certain that most transplant recipients fare well with their procedures, but it would be gratifying to see either the creators of this website or transplant doctors respond to those of us who have not. I suspect, however, they do not want to even acknowledge us. Bad for business, you know. My testosterone therapy is a very mild dosage (1.5 ml) every two weeks. But i intend to attempt some experimentation with it by reducing the dosage (or perhaps suspending an injection or two) to see if any of my hair grows back. Although, based on what I've learned of the effects of DHT, I don't hold out much hope of that. I agree with you that waiting for the "silver bullet" cure mite be a viable alternative to hair transplantation for someone else who is considering the procedure.
  #23   Top  
Old 10-13-2012, 11:13 AM

Default losin transplanted hair

thanks for your response htloss. I too suffered from itching and burning at the site of the loss of my transplanted hair. perhaps the body's rejection of the grafts? I also was a user of Propecia, but suspended its use for a short time due to cited concerns of sexual dysfunction. I have, however, resumed its use. It would be gratifying to see either the creators of this website or transplant doctors respond to those of us who have lost transplanted hair. I doubt they will, however. bad for business, you know. I intend to experiment with my testosterone dosage, which is quite low anyway (1.5 ml every two weeks) by either reducing it or suspending an injection or two. just to see if my transplanted hair will grow back. I don't hold out much hope, tho.
  #24   Top  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 PM

Hi Dr Feller,

I believe that I am one of the rare cases where transplanted hair begins to miniaturize and fall out around the 2.5 to 3 year mark. I have been losing HT hair pretty consistently for a year now and estimate that I have lost around 3-4K grafts. I have 2 questions:

1) Did the patients that had the same problem as me ever have their hair loss stabilize before the new procedure? I find this important so I know that I wont just be throwing more grafts at the problem only to find bald spots in another year.
2) What is your recommendation with propecia and Rogaine use while this occurs? During these sheds my scalp is very sensitive and I would rather not use rogaine but will continue if you think it may help.

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.
  #25   Top  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:10 PM

I actually experience the same pain/ burning sensation as well. Sometimes its terrible at night and during the day. Did anyone lose all of their hair or did it eventually stop or slow down.

thanks
  #26   Top  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:55 AM

Hey Mabbers

I hate to tell you this but having more hair transplants will not be a permanent fix to your problem. I spent about $18,000 on hair transplants and I figure I have lost at least half of them. Almost all of the "plugs" I had done in the 90's are no longer producing hair. Taking propecia slows the process a bit, but does not prevent it. I have been told that if you have some natural thinning on the sides of your head where the donor sites are, then you are more likely to have this problem of losing hair transplants. The hair transplant industry says this problem is rare, but what would you expect them to say?
I figure that I may need to wear a hairpiece eventually. Thanks to the scarring and pitting of my scalp, just having denuded skin on the top of my head is not an option. The thinning is progressing inexorably and I have no intention of wasting money on more transplants. In any case, I do not have a lot of donor area left. Unfortunately, I think you will also be wasting your money as well if you have more transplants.
  #27   Top  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Forum Co-Moderator
Celestial Follicle Club Member

Mabbers/HTloss,

First, and foremost, I wanted to say that I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue. If there is anything else I (or any other admin) can do to help, please let us know.

Second, altogether, I do think transplanted hair thinning is a pretty rare phenomenon, and can likely be explained by other things.

From an endocrinology standpoint, hair in the universal donor region should be highly resistant (nearly immune) to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) - the hormone responsible for hair loss in androgenic alopecia. We only see a few instances where this isn't true:

1. In men with androgenic alopecia who have a Norwood VII hair loss balding pattern; 2. In those with diffuse patterned or unpaterned alopecia (DPA/DUPA). There are are variety of other reasons why hair may shed in this region, but it involves other factors that should be evaluated by a physician (I'm not saying this indicates anything "bad," just stating that there are too many variables to discuss and it should be evaluated by a professional). Frankly, both these issues - NW VII and DPA/DUPA - are quite rare, and may have other underlying processes at play.

Knowing that true thinning in the donor region is rare, there are a few other scenarios to consider: 1. hair that was taken from the "fringes" of the safe zone and wasn't as resistant to DHT; and 2., transplanted hair that appears thinner simply because the native (i.e. DHT susceptible) hair around it is thinning. Altogether, I think # 2 is the most common reason for the perception of transplants thinning over time. I think this is especially true for transplants appearing to thin at the 2 year mark.

I hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have any additional questions or would like any input on moving forward (which we can either discuss here or via a private message).

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.
  #28   Top  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. Unfortunately, I am 99% sure that the hair falling out is HT hair and not pre-existing hair. I wish that was not the case. Also, I have had blood work done that did not show anything abnormal with my thyroid etc.
I am simply trying to figure a way forward as I am trying to see what can possibly slow the loss (rogaine etc) and find a way to get my scar fixed so i can cut my hair very short if the shedding continues.
Again, I have a burning/irritation sensation that seems to precede my hair loss and would rather not use Rogaine but will if it has helped others.

Anyways, any help there would be appreciated.
  #29   Top  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Follicular Salvation Club Member

Just to cover all areas, what shampoo are you using?
Overuse of shampoos such as Nizoral can thin out your transplanted hair, this has happened to me and apparently many others according to Spex.
  #30   Top  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 PM

Default hair transplant loss

I have tried many shampoos and it does not seem to make any difference. I am currently using Nioxin. BTW, what is Spex?