Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Surgical Hair Restoration > Hair Restoration Questions and Answers

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Hair Restoration Questions and Answers Post a question for other knowledgeable forum members here. Any hair loss sufferers with good advice are also encouraged to respond.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Top  
Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Veteran Real Hair Club Member

Also curious if anyone knows an answer to this.... When the grafts were placed, the hair within them was trimmed short (obviously). So to look at me the hair looked like small stubble. Over the next 1-2 weeks the hair grew until it looked like a buzz cut, then most fell out. Though not all.... at 3 weeks when I had to return to work I cut them with an electric razor so it wouldn't look weird.

Is this an indication the grafts actually took? i.e. if a graft dies, does it continue to push out a hair and grow?

Just wondering if this is an indicator of graft survival.

Now if only this stupid redness / pinkness would go away :-) Hydrocortisone 2.5% is doing little......
  #12   Top  
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Follicular Salvation Club Member

Yes by all indications, the grafts took. You are right on target for those "stubbles" to fall out. The reason they continued to grow immediately post-op was because they still remained in the growing phase (anagen), and then at roughly three weeks post-op they began to cycle into the resting phase (telogen) where they will remain dormant. After resting for approximately 3-4 months they will re-enter the growth phase again and you will begin to see the regrowth appearing above the scalp line.

The transplanted follicles re-enter the growth phase intermittently and that's why it takes up to one full year for the procedure to manifest itself completely. You should see lots of regrowth between the 4th and 6th month or so. Obviously there are some differences between patients, but those times frames are the average across most patients.

The best is yet to come my friend so enjoy your soon coming transformation!

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Glenn Charles, Boca Raton, FL - Dr. Jerry Cooley, Charlotte, NC - Dr. Jim Harris, Denver, CO - Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin, New York, NY
  #13   Top  
Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Mentor Real Hair Club Member

wouldnt it be great if the newly planted grafths never went into a dormant phase, that would be awsome, and grew once they were implanted.a dream for all ht patients.
  #14   Top  
Old 09-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Veteran Real Hair Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADbutTRUE View Post
wouldnt it be great if the newly planted grafths never went into a dormant phase, that would be awsome, and grew once they were implanted.a dream for all ht patients.
Actually, I prefer them to go dormant. At least for me, with a very bald NW6 scalp, it looks quite weird to have a "buzzcut" look on top with a deep red scalp underneath.

I like the slow and more subtle approach... scalp goes back to normal complexion... and you look like you did before the procedure..... 2 -3 months later, some follicles start waking up and gradually growing thin hair that gets thicker as it grows longer.
  #15   Top  
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Follicular Salvation Club Member

I also prefer a more subtle transition!

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Glenn Charles, Boca Raton, FL - Dr. Jerry Cooley, Charlotte, NC - Dr. Jim Harris, Denver, CO - Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin, New York, NY