SMOKING AFTER AN HT SURGERY

i've had one cigarette(which was on the 14th day after my surger) within the two and half weeks after my surgery.....at what point, is it almost not a worry to smoke after ht surgery?

May i add that my scalp is pretty much 95 percent healed, with only the little shafts poking out of it...it doesn't even look like i've had any thing done.

i've had one cigarette(which was on the 14th day after my surger) within the two and half weeks after my surgery.....at what point, is it almost not a worry to smoke after ht surgery?

May i add that my scalp is pretty much 95 percent healed, with only the little shafts poking out of it...it doesn't even look like i've had any thing done.

A former poster claimed smoking really hurt his HT and the doctor told him that right or wrong. Would it be possible to look at your HT as a great reason to quit now? icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Just dont smoke if you can help it the smoke rises up and fills your breathing space with toxins etc all that nasty stuff cant be good arround the hair, if you can help not smoking then dont smoke but also if stopping puts you in a state of stress and anxiety then that can also cause problems so it would of been best to try and quit before you have a hair transplant or make sure you only smoke outside so the wind blows the smoke away from your head

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

I started smoking about 4 days post op, don't think it's had much effect. i'm 9 weeks post op and I see new hairs popping up.

Ideally it's best not to, but realistically I think you'll be fine

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Forget HT, how about this warning:

-smoking may causes impotence

-smoking may reduce the pool of potential mates

If you were able to stop for 14 days, might as well continue.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

?™ bought the electronic cigarette with filters containing nicotine, after my HT, in order to help me quit the real one. Although I didn't stop smoking I smoke less (real cigs) and I really enjoy e-cig.

The addiction is to nicotine, and in order to get the nicotine needed, you smoke all other harmful material contained in the cigarette (further to nicotine).

I have blogged a bunch of times on the known effect tobacco has on small vessel circulation and retardation in healing as well as increased infections.

I have a grant application in with the ISHRS to investigate this specific question.

We ask patients to stop smoking 10 days preop.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

My last cigarette was 2 days before my HT. Its been over a month now and I haven't had a cigarette. Its been difficult as I used to smoke a packet a day. Its getting easier as time goes on.

Does stress have a negative effect on growth?

My last cigarette was 2 days before my HT. Its been over a month now and I haven't had a cigarette. Its been difficult as I used to smoke a packet a day. Its getting easier as time goes on.

Does stress have a negative effect on growth?

was it cold turkey? if so then i can understand the stress issue.

congrats btw.

Take a chance.

Stress certainly has an effect although it is quite variable. Smoking has a known and well studied effect on vasculature and wound healing and in my opinion is far more "stressful".

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Sorry for late response.

Mr.GQ, it was cold turkey and its been very difficult. I'm happy to say i'm at the point now where i don't even miss it anymore. I can run further without gasping for breath and believe it or not my skin looks better too.

Dr Lindsey, thanks for the info it makes me feel a lot better about quitting.

I smoked the weekend of the HT 10 cigarettes in 3 days. The HT was on the 2nd day, so before, on the day of HT, and the day after. I stopped smoking immediately after these 3 days.(when i heard it is bad for grafts.)

Before i also did not smoke really much, sometimes at weekends (but not more than 10 cig. a week, sometimes a few weeks no cigarettes).

I do a lot of sports and i have taken fenugreek, which should supply good oxygen to the body.

Do you think it could have harmed my grafts?

Personally, I don't believe it affects the overall outcome of the hair transplant.

Of course, it's better to quit for any number of reasons, and it may effect the healing process - I'm sure it could.

I have read on a number of occasions that Hasson & Wong have actually allowed their patients to smoke during surgery (on breaks of course). I can't see these patients smoking during surgery and then saying "Hey, well now its done I will quit". Lets face it, a lot of the world's best results have come out of H&W, if smoking had detrimental effect on grafts - would this be the case? Also with all their years of experience would they be so lenient on the matter?

If smoking does have any effect on grafts it's not going to be a good one, so if you can stay off them having an HT is another good incentive to keep it that way but if you can't, I wouldn't worry to much.

I understand that smoking will slow down the healing process of the "donor and recipient site".

I'm assuming then that smoking will only prolong the redness in this area, as oppose to not smoking.

But as to the actual graphs implanted and the growing stage - -it seem that it does not interfere with this. Is this fair to conclude?

• 5 months later...

Actually i used to smoke a lot but reduced it a lot after ht. I had recently surgery with H&W and i asked them about smoking. they said it has nothing to do with the hair growth. in fact i did smoke in the break too. it wasnt even written in their pre op/ post op instructions. i see some recources now in the net saying it might affect the hair growth. obviously H&W whould have notified patients in case of poor results due to smoking.

Granted with H&W's blessing, this point will be moot to most readers, but after my HT last week, my doctor told me to take at least 10 days off from smoking because nicotine can effect blood flow, and impede growth/progress.

As a pack-a-day smoker it's been very difficult, but my stance, the stance perhaps most important to this discussion is; why risk it?

As someone who's gone through a very personally important procedure (The HT), something that I had thought about for years beforehand, something that will greatly affect my sense of self worth and confidence level, it just doesn't seem worth risking it's failure for a few cigarettes.

just my two.