I’m new … Do I need to travel to Turkey or should I remain in Australia for a transplant?

Hi everyone,

Being  new haven’t seen previous discussion if I’m asking a question.im curious as to price difference between Australia and Turkey for a like for like . Admittedly there is $5000,00 difference for travel and accommodation costing for travelers to Turkey . 
im based in Perth . 

any recommendations? 

@Gatsby has the knowledge when it comes to the Hair Transplant in Australia so he should answer this.

but anyways the best doctors are not in turkey so don’t be restricted to a country. 
what Norwood are you? Do you use medication and do you have some pic to share? :)

Gatsby will be along shortly. I'm sure he will recommend you avoid a surgery in Australia since there are no reputable surgeons there. As has been said, Turkey is well known for hair surgery but there are many clinics there who deliver sub par results and relatively few good surgeons.

If I were you, I'd check the recommended list on here and draw up a shortlist. Many Australians seem to favour Asia due to ease of travel and there are some high quality surgeons there that are good value.

Avoid Australia -- haven't ever seen anything good from there, and our resident expert, @Gatsby, can speak more to the poor state of industry as well. If you are going to go cheap and visit a hairmill in Turkey such as Vera, Smile, Tarcan, or Este-anything, you might as well risk getting botched locally.

If you go to Turkey, make sure you do your research; there's some phenomenal doctors, but just like anywhere, the vast majority of hair transplant doctors are terrible. I'd suggest looking into Pekiner, Kesser, Bekir, Bicer, Gur/Turan, etc. Other options I'm less fond of are Yaman and HLC, but they are also safer choices than going to a mill.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

To echo the sentiments of others... Why Aus vs Turkey? Turkey is mostly terrible as a HT destination and Australia has no reputable surgeons that anyone can recommend. You have far better options in Thailand and India and it would also cut down on some of your travel time and expense.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Forget about surgery in Australia. Surgeons here charge the same price as the most elite in the world yet still don’t understand or care that doubles are planted in the front hairline, or that the crown is used as a donor source! As for Turkey there are a handful of surgeons who are excellent but I fear you are researching via location and price which is a recipe doomed for regret. Take the advice of @Britanium above and look at Dr Laorwong for starters. There are patients posted results by patients that will steer you in the right direction. LooK at patients who have s similar level of hair loss that have achieved the goals you are trying to seek. Then look st which doctor/s is performing these results and go from there. Wishing you all the best. 👍

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

As mentioned by others previously, I haven't come across any standout hair transplant practitioners in Australia. Turkey does have some reputable doctors in this field, but it's worth noting that excellent surgeons can be found in other parts of the world too. So, rather than focusing solely on one or two countries, it's advisable to broaden your search to consider all potential options. So look for doctors in Turkey but also look for doctors in other parts of the world which can broaden your options. Ultimately, what matters most is the skill and proficiency of the surgeon, regardless of where they're located geographically.

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

On 2/11/2024 at 6:17 PM, Crosseyedheart said:

Hi everyone,

Being  new haven’t seen previous discussion if I’m asking a question.im curious as to price difference between Australia and Turkey for a like for like . Admittedly there is $5000,00 difference for travel and accommodation costing for travelers to Turkey . 
im based in Perth . 

any recommendations? 

I am based in Perth also.

After my experience and most from this forum the only surgeon I can recommend is Dr Laorwong.

Excellent results, very well priced, close to Australia, well credentialed. 

Above all a surgeon who genuinely cares about your results.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 2:05 AM, Z-- said:

Avoid Australia -- haven't ever seen anything good from there, and our resident expert, @Gatsby, can speak more to the poor state of industry as well. If you are going to go cheap and visit a hairmill in Turkey such as Vera, Smile, Tarcan, or Este-anything, you might as well risk getting botched locally.

If you go to Turkey, make sure you do your research; there's some phenomenal doctors, but just like anywhere, the vast majority of hair transplant doctors are terrible. I'd suggest looking into Pekiner, Kesser, Bekir, Bicer, Gur/Turan, etc. Other options I'm less fond of are Yaman and HLC, but they are also safer choices than going to a mill.

I've been looking into Sydney for FUE and I'm considering Elite Hair Clinic. This year they started bringing Turkish and Iranian trained techs and from what I see in leaning towards them.

• Face Palm 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MillyB said:

I've been looking into Sydney for FUE and I'm considering Elite Hair Clinic. This year they started bringing Turkish and Iranian trained techs and from what I see in leaning towards them.

With all the hairmills in Turkey, if I heard that a clinic anywhere was importing Turkish trained technicians, that would be a big red flag for me. I'd definitely stay away from a clinic importing technicians, not just from Turkey, but from anywhere. A good clinic should have a dedicated team of technicians working for them who should be trained by the Dr as well as the other long time techs working in that clinic. It doesn't give me a feeling of competence if a Dr has to start import techs who were trained elsewhere. I'd ask why? What was wrong with your techs you had all these years? If they still can't do the job then doesn't that mean the Dr can't do it either? Surely he'd be able to train a tech to work in his own clinic.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

I’m not being ‘unpatriotic’ or I have it in for Australian doctors. What I am ‘unpatriotic’ or have it in for are terrible results. Over the past 39 years now I have had consultations with all of the so called ‘elite’ Australian surgeons going back to Dr Richard Shiels who performed the first hair transplant in the early 1960’s up to today’s chain clinics. I’ve met with ex patients of Dr Jayaprakash and Dr Knudsen and the planning is non existent and the hairlines are full of doubles and I could just keep going on. 
Dr Laorwong in BKK is an excellent choice and far cheaper than the surgeons here with great patient results you can view here. Of course their are other elite surgeons overseas but this is at least a much safer and cheaper option than here in Australia 

2 hours ago, MillyB said:

You last posted 3 years ago with a lot of info regarding this clinic, are you connected to them in some way? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MillyB said:

Bro how is that a good thing? Clinic bringing in unproven techs? Don't really care where they come from, but sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Most top shops have established doctors and long-standing techs. Doesn't sound like the case here. Avoid staying in Australia. If you want Turkish/Iranian trained techs to work on you, just go to Turkey and do research to select an elite doctor (like Pekiner, Kesser, Bek, etc.).

I was the same as you, I went for a few consultations in Aus as I didn’t want to travel abroad. Then I wanted to go to Turkey (as that’s what people do). I realised there are many more better drs out there.  Don’t be afraid to travel. Pick 2 or 3 drs and research the  s*it out of them. Best advice I can give, If your worried about after care, stay there longer (10days or so). That way you can go back if you have concerns. Also there’s also emails and video calls after that. 

• Like 1

Not to mention also in reply that it's a procedure done in Australia licenced within Australia with the full medical store required to run a safe and medically sterile operation. Also to make it even better you don't have to fly to Turkey if you have any complaints or problems to fix. 

On 3/7/2024 at 9:24 PM, MillyB said:

On 3/10/2024 at 8:19 AM, Ake said:

I was the same as you, I went for a few consultations in Aus as I didn’t want to travel abroad. Then I wanted to go to Turkey (as that’s what people do). I realised there are many more better drs out there.  Don’t be afraid to travel. Pick 2 or 3 drs and research the  s*it out of them. Best advice I can give, If your worried about after care, stay there longer (10days or so). That way you can go back if you have concerns. Also there’s also emails and video calls after that. 

6 minutes ago, MillyB said:

Not to mention also in reply that it's a procedure done in Australia licenced within Australia with the full medical store required to run a safe and medically sterile operation. Also to make it even better you don't have to fly to Turkey if you have any complaints or problems to fix. 

• Valued Contributor

@MillyB forget Australia. I've had consultations on and off over the last 39 years and no one here can hold a candle to an elite surgeon overseas. You could look at Dr Laorwong in Bangkok who has turned out some excellent results from patients on the forum. Eight hours in the air getting there is nothing compared to looking at a bad result for the rest of your life in the mirror.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I haven’t seen any positive work from Australia. I have heard some things about Gro Clinic with Dr. Ruk. Though, this is only someone I heard of, not someone I have examined. 

For me, it would make more sense to travel to Thailand, which is relatively close for cheaper and better work. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 3/8/2024 at 12:16 AM, Britanium said:

You last posted 3 years ago with a lot of info regarding this clinic, are you connected to them in some way? 

Yes I won't lie, I played a roll helping back then.

I'm connected through relation but still hesitant to get a transplant here.

I personally know a lot of doctors but I'm a computer network engineer and I worked with practice management and networking software but it don't promote anyone.

I checked out Knudsen, the Bankstown guy Sydney hair transplant maybe, Dr Naidu in Surry Hills and crown clinic.

I don't talk bad of anyone as I have to keep it professional but I agree with you mostly.

I know who I wouldn't use!

I truly am thinking of biting the bullet and trying Elite. Only because they brought in the Turkish trained guys. If I don't like it. I can go back and complain. The new doctor there from England who I've met maybe 4 times gives me confidence.

If I do do it I'll post weekly results but have to admit I'm pretty anxious maybe even scared of the actual process.