Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong | Absolute Hair Clinic| FUE 4117 | Bangkok, Thailand

Ake

*Warning - it’s a long review*

So this my write up of my experience on my HT Absolute Hair Clinic in Thailand with Dr Kongkiat Laorwong. Big shout out to all the guys that take the time to review your experience, not just absolute hair clinic, but the other clinics. This is my way of giving back to help others make their final decision. 

So I’m just one day post my procedure so cant say too much on the results yet but what my experience was so far  

My hair loss journey-

Been dealing with hair thinning from early 20’s and got on minoxidil topically for about 8years and then stopped as I got Crohns disease and stopped taking minoxidil to help get better. And few years later tried it again. But it would aggravate my condition. Tried it a few time with the same reactions. My hair was slowly thinning during this time, regular hair cuts and toppik were my ways to conceal my hair loss. I was turning 40 and at the point of I either shave it or and deal going bald or get a hair transplant. (can always shave if it doesn’t work out, but at least I tried)

About 16 months ago start taking finasteride 1/2mg every 2nd day for a month and then moved to 1mg every second day. It didn’t stop my hair loss but it’s slowed it down. I think I’ve got some minor sides but I’m at the point where I don’t care anymore (watery semen and slight man boob on one side, could also be from getting older and gaining weight)

Why I picked Absolute Hair Clinic?

• Dr Laorwong has been doing some great clean procedures with great results, and he’s involved with a lot of the procedure
  • Only 9hr flight from Sydney Australia
  • Price was within a reasonable range

My experience- 

So I arrived on Sunday evening and checked in. Unpacked and went to 7-eleven (they are everywhere here, like 4 within 200m) to stock up on water and snacks (don’t drink the tap water here). 

Monday at breakfast met a guy from Melbourne staying at the same hotel and having his hair done at Absolute Hair clinic that day (what are the odds). He’s also a member on here and decided to come to Absolute from all the positive reviews.

I went to the clinic for my 3pm consultation, it’s a nice place (nothing wow) it look professional and clean (the surrounding area its in isn’t the most cleanest as it’s a 3rd world country, so don’t expect too much if you havent been to Thailand before, but it’s safe and people are friendly) filled out some forms and waited to see Dr Laorwong took a while to see him as he was doing a procedure (the guy I met at breakfast). Seen him for about 15-20mins, he looked at my hair and donor are and talked about what I wanted and he drew a hairline that we both liked and took some photos. (To be honest is wasn’t the most thorough consultation I’ve ever had but that didn’t matter as I knew I wanted Dr Laorwong to do it. (most of the other ones I had seen were trying to sell me to have it done with them)

Did my HIV test (they prick your finger with a syringe needle which actually hurts a bit 6/10 pain wise and 3 mins later your done, the test looks like a covid-19 little white thing)

Signed some more forms and was told to be there at 8am the next day. 

Procedure day-

Arrive at 8am waited 15mins and then went up stairs and got dressed in my blue scrubs and they gave me some medication to take (think pain killer, something for inflammation and a Valium) and they took some more photos and then Dr Laorwong came in and drew my hairline again and circled the donor area. Then the Dr and a nurse started to shave me. I asked if I could do it as I’ve never shaved my head before (I went straight done the middle and felt so good as I’ve always wanted to do it but was always be too scared and self conscious how I would look, don’t think I have the head shape for it).

850am - Went into the surgery room where they make you lay face down like a message table (hole for your face which had a gel pad for extra comfort for your face) 

Dr starts injecting you with some kind of gun type injection tool that shoots it into the skin 2/10 pain to help numb before he injects with a syringe to numb everything 3/10 pain wise and some areas I didn’t feel it. Then they injected something to swell the skin to help remove the grafts easier was a 4/10 pain wise. Then he starts making the holes around the donor and the technicians remove the grafts, your feel it but no pain (I could feel some pain 2-3/10 in certain areas every now and again and I would mention it to him and he and he would just add more local anaesthetic. The worst part I would say is your back gets very sore and stiff from laying on your stomach for so long. 

130pm Stopped for lunch for 20mins, as I was getting up I seen some blood where my face was and on the towel that they had around my face to stop it going down your face and asked about it and they did say that I was bleeding a little more then most people do but was fine. When I sat down for lunch and started eating about 5-6 bites in I started to feel really faint/ dizzy and had the sweats. (Kinda like when you have done a blood test and felt woozy) I called to them thinking I was going to pass out but I didn’t. I came good after a few minutes and then continued to eat my lunch. Why I felt faint not 100% sure but I don’t like the site of blood, maybe got up too quick from the table or from the meds or a combination of all of them. 

After I finished my lunch break back on the table but this time on my back (I asked for a pillow to place under my back as it was quite sore. It helped but didn’t fix the problem completely. Lifting my knees up helped too.

They took blood for the PRP and also gave me and IV (think it was saline and something else) to help because I felt faint at lunch. (This is why I picked to go with an actual Dr for that off chance something goes wrong and I’m glad I did)

So Dr Laorwong started to make the incision and the technicians and himself were installing the grafts. They cover your eyes to help from the the bright lights but I could down my chest and see a reflection in the window of them working away. There were like 8 people in the room one on each side of me inserting the grafts and another one on each side handing them to a loaded pen (for inserting the grafts) and taking the empty ones away and another 2 people sitting down loading the pens. Dr Laorwong would have been 9 and there was another Dr from Singapore (make 10 people) who was watching the procedure to learn better techniques for his practice in Singapore. (It must be a good thing if other Dr’s are coming and observing his work).

Dr Laorwong would leave the room a from time to time 10-15mins and then come back and make some more graft incisions and then start implanting grafts himself. He was very involved with most of the surgery. 

Finished up at 720pm. Got up slowly to avoid a repeat at lunch and they bandaged my head up and I changed back into my clothes and went down stairs to get my after care medication and pay for the procedure. I walked back to my room. Think it was the meds but I felt like I was floating as I was walking. If I wasn’t so close to the clinic I would have got a taxi. You don’t feel pain but your head feels swollen, as expected as I just had my head drilled and prodded for 10hrs.

That night had a body shower and took a Valium and some paracetamol (wanted to have a good night rest) slept about 6 solid hours. 

Morning after-

The donor area was sore 3/10 but just in a few spots. 

Met up with the guy from Melbourne and re recapped over our procedures over breakfast. It’s really good to have someone to talk about the experience with. We both went to the clinic for our wash and laser therapy. 

A little bit of pain 3/10 when they remove the bandage from the donor as the dry blood sticks to the bandage. They clean your head with a saline spray which didn’t hurt (they don’t touch any of the grafts just the spray washes it) then they washed my head with water and boy did my donor area sting 9/10 pain, I had to get her to stop and give me a minute to regroup so she could continue. They took some more photos and then Dr Laorwong came in and review my head. Said it was all fine. Nurse then applied antiseptic ointment on the donor and the grafted area (very gently with a cue tip and then applied a shower cap to keeps any grafts or the donor holes sticking to the black bandanna you get. 

Accomodation- White ivy Bed and breakfast- cheap, clean, 3 star hotel and only 500m from the clinic. Only bad thing I could say was my Tv in my room didn’t have any channels, only YouTube or I could sign into Netflix (couldn’t sign in as I use someone else’s account). Lucky I brought my iPad and watched on that.

Travel - BTS sky train. Krung Thon Buri Is the station that was near my hotel and is next to the clinic. BTS is Cheap and quicker than taxis as the traffic is bad here. 

Phone- Got an Airalo eSIM card 9.90 USD for 50GB to use within 10 days. (Just call people on Viber or WhatsApp) **Please note - install the eSIM the day before you leave**

I activated it at home days before I left and had to get another one as I ran out of days. 

Hope this helps anyone considering Absolute Hair clinic.

IMG_7511.png

IMG_7513.png

IMG_7456.jpeg

IMG_7521.jpeg

IMG_7522.jpeg

IMG_7516.jpeg

IMG_7469.jpeg

IMG_7517.jpeg

IMG_7518.jpeg

IMG_7519.jpeg

IMG_7523.jpeg

IMG_7482.jpeg

IMG_7485.jpeg

Edited by Ake
  • Like 2

• Ake changed the title to Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong | Absolute Hair Clinic| FUE 4117 | Bangkok, Thailand

Great writeup, @Ake !

Sounds very similar to my experience, but that's understandable since I'm the guy from Melbourne you mentioned above :)

I'll be writing up my own story in the next few days in the hope of helping others with my personal experience too!

8 hours ago, Wingtsun said:

Hey! I got mine two weeks ago! Let’s see how it goes! Did you take a picture of your graft placement sheet? Could be interesting to see where they where placed!

@Ake

No I didn’t. But I might ask them tomorrow when I go for my wash. He did say that I shouldn’t need another transplant, fingers crossed 🤞 

Edited by Ake

@Ake

cool it’s in the papers they are always carrying when you go to your wash and laser therapy! Just say you want to have a look at it and they will show you!

with 4117 grafts and over half of them being tripples that should give you a good coverage!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wingtsun said:

@Ake

cool it’s in the papers they are always carrying when you go to your wash and laser therapy! Just say you want to have a look at it and they will show you!

with 4117 grafts and over half of them being tripples that should give you a good coverage!

Thanks man, sorry I posted wrong before Dr Laorwong said the same thing about have good density from all the triples and I shouldn’t need another transplant. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing. They really have it dialed in there. Very similar experience to mine. That first day of hair washing is something else. Good luck with your recovery. The works looks super clean with a really nice hairline. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Cooper48 said:

Thanks for sharing. They really have it dialed in there. Very similar experience to mine. That first day of hair washing is something else. Good luck with your recovery. The works looks super clean with a really nice hairline. 

I think you are 100% right. They know what they are doing and they do it well. Staff are super friendly and the aftercare treatment is fantastic. 
thank you, I’m not looking forward to the next 4 months or so. 

Edited by Ake

On 10/19/2023 at 4:32 AM, Coffee_bean said:

Damn, this looks good man! Dr. Laorwong has been cooking! Absolute machine. Creates beautiful hairlines, with thick density - at a high volume, without using rows and only one patient a day. Just amazing. 

does he really do one patient per day?

On 10/22/2023 at 4:33 AM, mahola said:

does he really do one patient per day?

I was the only patient having a HT that day. But I had 4117 grafts. He does more than one patient but ones that need less grafts. He works on one person at a time. The clinic is open 7 days a week.

Ok here is my 10 day update post HT.
Flew home on day 4 after the procedure, was soooo paranoid that someone would bump my head getting up behind me or walking down the aisle, I was in an aisle seat. Took a Valium to help me sleep but only slept 4hrs of the 9hr flight. My head felt swollen after the flight and for the next day or two (was still taking anti swelling meds). When I would bend over my head would feel pressure (they say don’t bend over, but kinda hard when you have young kids and they haven’t seen you for a week and just wanna play). My donor was itchy which started day 3 and then starting to sting/itch kinda after day 6. Nothing bad, but enough to bother you. (Would apply paw paw ointment to the donor area to help with the itchiness, which helped me. Light patting the area as well. Sleep was bad for the first 6 days, was only getting 3-4 hrs sleep. Just can’t get comfortable as the donor area was sore and you don’t want to role around much incase you damage the graft area. 
Day 6 & 7 I took nurofen before bed and I got 6-7hrs sleep. Day nine was better no nurofen before bed.
Washing it for the first time is very scary, you just don’t wanna do anything wrong. Day 5&6 I used baby shampoo & water in a spray bottle and didn’t touch the top
I’m not gonna lie I didn’t think the recovery was gonna be this uncomfortable (everyone worries about the procedure and the needles for the surgery, it’s what happens the first week after you should be concerned about) I don’t know how some guys say they go back to work after a few days. Take a week to recover guys. I had 4000 holes put in my head.  The donor is sore at first but then just becomes sensitive. Top is fine as it’s still numb
Here are my 10day update photos. I’m starting to get used to the shaved head.  

This was 5months ago with damp hair
IMG_6085.thumb.jpeg.09a23d88d889b5ed77157322f5e1e93d.jpeg

IMG_7760.jpeg

IMG_7761.jpeg

IMG_7762.jpeg

IMG_7763.jpeg

IMG_7767.jpeg

• Like 1