Decision about future HT: Dr Pittella versus Dr Arika Bansal from Eugenix

Hello All,

A few months ago, I posted on this forum (here is a link to that post: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/70120-revisiting-the-hair-transplant-questiondecision-after-coasting-along-for-over-a-decade-using-toppik/)  for the first time after over a decade about revisiting the question of having a hair surgery. In the last 2 months I’ve had both an online consultation with Dr Pittella and an in-person consultation in Mumbai (I was there for a few weeks for Christmas) with Dr Arika Bansal from Eugenix. My consultation experience with them and their approaches are quite different. I would like to get my first hair transplant done this year. Dr Felipe has a LONG wait-list but is open to accommodating me at some point this year. Dr Bansal’s staff is optimistic that I can be accommodated this year. I am leaning towards the latter for the following reasons:

A.      Lower use of grafts (and hence lower cost).  

B.      The fact that it is in a city and a neighborhood that I have a home in – which makes post-op help much easier for me and I won’t be on my own.

That being said, I really like Dr Pittella. The consultation was as long as I wanted it to be. I felt like I was talking to someone that was both a professor and a friend at the same time – and his empathy and warmth radiated through every minute of the conversation.

I have made a comparison between the two based on my consultations and their proposed approaches to the hair transplant. Here is the link to that:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1srQHlw4Ig9rf51-_HgCmU9TSeU5cIQd43UZHhwFLSJA/edit?usp=sharing

The folks at Eugenix seem OK doing this WITHOUT my using Finasteride. The one nagging concern I have is that they have not suggested that I take any oral medication (e.g. Minoxidil) prior to the surgery. This is in stark contrast to what Dr Pittella suggested – where he figured getting on meds right away was the wise thing to do. I made the mistake of NOT asking about medication DURING my consultation with Dr Bansal and reached out about it later to their support staff and this is the response I received:

“Pre-procedure, you don't have to start minoxidil as it is a vasodilator and might increase the oozing during the procedure.”

I don’t know what to make of the above. For those of you that had your transplant done by Eugenix, did you hear something similar?

If any of you found yourselves making a similar decision (i.e. Dr Pittella versus Eugenix), I would love to get your perspectives as I navigate this decision. Thank you in advance. I don't even know what I would do without this supportive community. 

I'd personally go with Dr Pittella. One of your concerns is going through that many grafts in one go, you could always ask the doctor for a less aggressive restoration to keep some grafts for the future?

Regarding his wait list, you said it is long, how long are we talking? 6-12 months? 12-18 months? Or possibly even longer? (just curious!)

Edited by Ccd99
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ccd99 said:

I'd personally go with Dr Pittella. One of your concerns is going through that many grafts in one go, you could always ask the doctor for a less aggressive restoration to keep some grafts for the future?

Regarding his wait list, you said it is long, how long are we talking? 6-12 months? 12-18 months? Or possibly even longer? (just curious!)

Thank you so much for the response. In all fairness, he did offer me a 6000 grafts route with a slightly higher hairline. This is still higher than the 4500 that Eugenix has proposed. As for his waiting list, it is more like 12-18 months at this point. I really would like to do this in 2024 so that's another factor that is nudging me towards Eugenix. I am curious to understand your view on why you would go with Dr Pittella instead. Please let me know whenever time permits. Thank you once again.

1 hour ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

both are excellent choices, cant go wrong with any of them

in your case id choose eugenix bc its more convenient in your case

I appreciate the input here. As you can probably guess, this post probably has a rather obvious undercurrent of validation-seeking from my side! 

• Valued Contributor
5 hours ago, WhamHair said:

“Pre-procedure, you don't have to start minoxidil as it is a vasodilator and might increase the oozing during the procedure.”

I don’t know what to make of the above. For those of you that had your transplant done by Eugenix, did you hear something similar?

They are referring here to the week or two before the procedure only, where many clinics advise patients who take minoxidil to stop taking it as it can indeed cause excess oozing or bleeding. You can resume it again a couple weeks after surgery once everything has healed up.

• Like 1

Just now, Berba11 said:

They are referring here to the week or two before the procedure only, where many clinics advise patients who take minoxidil to stop taking it as it can indeed cause excess oozing or bleeding. You can resume it again a couple weeks after surgery once everything has healed up.

I appreciate the clarification here. I wish they had worded it this way. Thanks so much. I am leaning towards starting on the prescription that Dr Pittella wrote for me in advance of which ever doctor I finally settle on for the HT.

16 hours ago, WhamHair said:

Thank you so much for the response. In all fairness, he did offer me a 6000 grafts route with a slightly higher hairline. This is still higher than the 4500 that Eugenix has proposed. As for his waiting list, it is more like 12-18 months at this point. I really would like to do this in 2024 so that's another factor that is nudging me towards Eugenix. I am curious to understand your view on why you would go with Dr Pittella instead. Please let me know whenever time permits. Thank you once again.

I personally have seen more results from Dr Pittella and they're all as equally as impressive, he does amazing work on high NW patients. Dr Bansal has done some good work too but I haven't seen as much... additionally I am not a fan of the Eugenix business model where they have so many packages and depending on your package that determines the doctor or technicians that work on you. 

Edited by Ccd99
  • Like 1

Look mate in all honesty if Dr Arika cannot give you the time needed even during your consultation, it’s just not worth going ahead with the procedure there, it will be no different. 

She will be in an out of surgery rooms, jumping from one patient to another, even if you choose the premium package with her. 

Unless you can get Dr Sethi, then you have a selection dilemma. 
As it stands I would choose Pitella every day of the week. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy1991 said:

Look mate in all honesty if Dr Arika cannot give you the time needed even during your consultation, it’s just not worth going ahead with the procedure there, it will be no different. 

She will be in an out of surgery rooms, jumping from one patient to another, even if you choose the premium package with her. 

Unless you can get Dr Sethi, then you have a selection dilemma. 
As it stands I would choose Pitella every day of the week. 

In all fairness, she did not rush through the consultation. I basically had no more questions for her specifically that I could remember at that moment. But yes, if she is in and out of surgery rooms, then that is a red flag - so I am hoping more people that have gotten their HT done at Eugenix can weigh in on whether or not this happens with Dr Bansal. 

5 hours ago, Ccd99 said:

I personally have seen more results from Dr Pittella and they're all as equally as impressive, he does amazing work on high NW patients. Dr Bansal has done some good work too but I haven't seen as much... additionally I am not a fan of the Eugenix business model where they have so many packages and depending on your package that determines the doctor or technicians that work on you. 

Definitely not crazy about the various packages either. 

Just now, WhamHair said:

In all fairness, she did not rush through the consultation. I basically had no more questions for her specifically that I could remember at that moment. But yes, if she is in and out of surgery rooms, then that is a red flag - so I am hoping more people that have gotten their HT done at Eugenix can weigh in on whether or not this happens with Dr Bansal. 

It does happen. I am one of those patients. 

• Valued Contributor
17 minutes ago, WhamHair said:

Although my results were overall good, this does happen. Your time with Dr Arika will be quite limited prior to and during surgery. I don't know to what extent Dr Pittella is in the room with you during the surgery/outside of the parts he'd be doing though. These are questions for those surgeons or their other patients.

5 minutes ago, WhamHair said:

I think both of them are excellent surgeons. No matter with whom you proceed, you're good to go. But from my experience what I want to say about Eugenix is that, each and every technicians know what they're doing. So, even if Dr. is outside during that moment nothing inappropriate would happen. Moreover, in my case in every 20-30 minutes overall work was monitored. 

On 1/16/2024 at 6:44 PM, Tommy1991 said:

She will be in an out of surgery rooms, jumping from one patient to another,

At least she was in and out of surgery room...in my case Dr Sethi was just Out 😆

• Haha 3

On 1/16/2024 at 4:30 AM, Ccd99 said:

I am not a fan of the Eugenix business model where they have so many packages and depending on your package that determines the doctor or technicians that work on you. 

To be fair, Dr Pitella's clinic also has more than one package and it also determines the doctor that works on you:

1) VIP PACKAGE
(MAIN SURGICAL STEPS DONE BY DR PITTELLA)
*DR. PITTELLA:
- HAIR LINE DESIGN
- PRE-INCISIONS (DENSITY, ANGLES ETC)
- CRUCIAL EXTRACTION (GRAFTS FOR TEMPLES AND HAIRLINE)
- ORCHESTRATE IMPLANTATION
*JUNIOR DOCTOR:
-EXTRACTIONS MOSTLY DONE BY JUNIOR DOCTOR
-IMPLANTATION MOSTLY DONE BY JUNIOR DOCTOR

=> PER GRAFT VALLUE: 4 USD/GRAFT

2) PRIME PACKAGE
(ALL DAY SURGERY DONE PERSONALLY BY DR PITTELLA)
*DR. PITTELLA:
- HAIR LINE DESIGN
- PRE-INCISIONS (DENSITY, ANGLES, DIRECTIONS)
- EXTRACTION OF ALL GRAFTS
- IMPLANTATION MOSTLY DONE BY DR PITTELLA.
=> PER GRAFT VALLUE: 5 USD/GRAFT

There are also two options for those packages:

***OPTION 1***
-HT FUE in 1 Super-session (>6000 grafts):
-Objective: To cover and/or increase density on needed areas.
-Number of sessions (days of surgery): ONE DAY ONLY
-Total number of grafts: >6000

***OPTION 2***
-HT FUE in 2 Giga-sessions (4500+4000 grafts):
-Number of sessions (days): TWO DAYS
-Total number of grafts: 8500

I personally don't have any objections to packages like this as long as the doctor that works on me is skilled. It makes sense that a doctor that is in high demand would charge more for his services. By having packages, people who could otherwise not afford a high quality HT has an option.

Edited by Odysseus

12 hours ago, Odysseus said:

To be fair, Dr Pitella's clinic also has more than one package and it also determines the doctor that works on you:

1) VIP PACKAGE
(MAIN SURGICAL STEPS DONE BY DR PITTELLA)
*DR. PITTELLA:
- HAIR LINE DESIGN
- PRE-INCISIONS (DENSITY, ANGLES ETC)
- CRUCIAL EXTRACTION (GRAFTS FOR TEMPLES AND HAIRLINE)
*JUNIOR DOCTOR:
-EXTRACTIONS MOSTLY DONE BY JUNIOR DOCTOR
-IMPLANTATION MOSTLY DONE BY JUNIOR DOCTOR

=> PER GRAFT VALLUE: 4 USD/GRAFT

2) PRIME PACKAGE
(ALL DAY SURGERY DONE PERSONALLY BY DR PITTELLA)
*DR. PITTELLA:
- HAIR LINE DESIGN
- PRE-INCISIONS (DENSITY, ANGLES, DIRECTIONS)
- EXTRACTION OF ALL GRAFTS
- IMPLANTATION MOSTLY DONE BY DR PITTELLA.
=> PER GRAFT VALLUE: 5 USD/GRAFT

There are also two options for those packages:

***OPTION 1***
-HT FUE in 1 Super-session (>6000 grafts):
-Number of sessions (days of surgery): ONE DAY ONLY
-Total number of grafts: >6000

***OPTION 2***
-HT FUE in 2 Giga-sessions (4500+4000 grafts):
-Number of sessions (days): TWO DAYS
-Total number of grafts: 8500

I personally don't have any objections to packages like this as long as the doctor that works on me is skilled. It makes sense that a doctor that is in high demand would charge more for his services. By having packages, people who could otherwise not afford a high quality HT has an option.

He must have just put his prices up, I have a quote from him dated December 2023 at 4 USD for the "VIP" package

image.png.6f229f34737a50e7a610b73a344839de.png

7 hours ago, Ccd99 said:

He must have just put his prices up, I have a quote from him dated December 2023 at 4 USD for the "VIP" package

Yeah, I noticed the price difference between what you posted and what I was given. That's a helluva rate of inflation in just one month! When a person is talking about 6000 - 8500+ grafts, the difference of a dollar per graft is a huge deal. I think I read that the current annual inflation rate in Brazil is less than 6%, so this price jump is 5 times the inflation rate. But, it's ultimately a supply vs demand issue, I guess. Dr Pittella's practice is getting to be more well-known and popular, so he knows he can ask more. 

Edited by Odysseus

On 1/18/2024 at 4:56 AM, Ccd99 said:

image.png.6f229f34737a50e7a610b73a344839de.png

This is definitely a recent price bump since I spoke to him just a little over a month ago and the price for each package was $1 less per graft. This does change the economics of getting a HT from him quite dramatically. 

On 1/16/2024 at 11:19 AM, Shadman said:

I think both of them are excellent surgeons. No matter with whom you proceed, you're good to go. But from my experience what I want to say about Eugenix is that, each and every technicians know what they're doing. So, even if Dr. is outside during that moment nothing inappropriate would happen. Moreover, in my case in every 20-30 minutes overall work was monitored. 

This is good to know - and in your case, judging by your post signature, it looks like they fixed an initially badly done transplant by another surgeon - so I imagine that went a long way in reaffirming your faith in their competence. 

On 1/17/2024 at 1:41 PM, DeltaV said:

At least she was in and out of surgery room...in my case Dr Sethi was just Out 😆

that is pretty crazy since i get the sense the package tied to him is even pricier than the one with Dr Bansal. I guess the question of consequence here is - are you happy with the job they did for you in terms of aesthetic results? Would love to know.