Loss of transplanted hair at 7-8 months

I searched the forum but couldn't see an applicable thread, although I'm sure there are.

I just wanted to ask the members if it's normal for the transplanted hair to shed at 7-8 months?

It was always my understanding that the shed happened at around 3 months or so and then by months 8-12 is when full growth is seen.

In my case I appear to have already had "full" growth by month 6 and now the hair is miniaturizing and my hairline is looking very high again.

Any thoughts? Hopefully it's just going through a shed phase and will come back stronger. Will upload some photos when I get a chance.  

Is it only transplanted or also non-transplanted areas that are shedding also? It could be seasonal shedding or if any change of diet, meds, stress, physical trauma to the scalp with injections etc..Most shedding will come back. 

• Moderators

Did you just start the minoxidil recently? If so then it could be a minoxidil shed which would be common.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I am struggling with the same issue, I have shedded in a area that was previously full in September but is now much thinner in October. I’ve tried asking my clinic if it will grow back two-three times but they do not answer that particular question or they have ignored it.

In my case I started Oral Minoxidil in January so a 9 month difference. 

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

I've also gone through quite the shed in September and October after getting my HT in February. It is shedding in both the recipient areas and areas that were not operated on however so I'm guessing (hoping!) that it's just due to stress and will bounce back soon.

• Administrators

Sometimes seasonal sheds occur, is it visually thinner? Or are you just shedding?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 10/24/2023 at 12:00 PM, laverita said:

Is it only transplanted or also non-transplanted areas that are shedding also? It could be seasonal shedding or if any change of diet, meds, stress, physical trauma to the scalp with injections etc..Most shedding will come back. 

Just the transplanted hair for the most part. Looks like miniaturization when I first started losing hair on the hairline years ago. 

On 10/24/2023 at 3:15 PM, BeHappy said:

Did you just start the minoxidil recently? If so then it could be a minoxidil shed which would be common.

Started it back in March

On 10/24/2023 at 11:53 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

Sometimes seasonal sheds occur, is it visually thinner? Or are you just shedding?

Fingers crossed! I have noticed in winter my hair is usually not as full as it is in summer.

On 10/25/2023 at 5:45 AM, AGL77 said:

Could this be anagen desynchronization?

If that's the case then I feel like I need another HT to gain that 20% density back. It looks like I have a thinning hairline.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay.

I was never 100% happy with it. I thought the left side was good but right side a little straight and plugged but figured I'd give it time like everyone says. 

Since I posted this thread its just gotten more sparse. Feels like I didn't even get a HT

I hope it thickens up again but it's been 9 months and I'm really underwhelmed. Especially for the price I paid. 

20231208_184017.jpg

20231208_184004.jpg

20231208_184120.jpg

20231208_184130.jpg

20231208_184135.jpg

20231208_184142.jpg

20231208_184124.jpg

20231208_184117.jpg

20231208_183948.jpg

20231208_183943.jpg

32 minutes ago, TheManeMan said:

Sorry for the delay.

I was never 100% happy with it. I thought the left side was good but right side a little straight and plugged but figured I'd give it time like everyone says. 

Since I posted this thread its just gotten more sparse. Feels like I didn't even get a HT

I hope it thickens up again but it's been 9 months and I'm really underwhelmed. Especially for the price I paid. 

20231208_184017.jpg

20231208_184004.jpg

20231208_184120.jpg

20231208_184130.jpg

20231208_184135.jpg

20231208_184142.jpg

20231208_184124.jpg

20231208_184117.jpg

20231208_183948.jpg

20231208_183943.jpg

Have you talked with the doctor about this result? You still have 3 months to hope for more growth but at 9 months its definitely dissapointing.

8 minutes ago, jjalay said:

Have you talked with the doctor about this result? You still have 3 months to hope for more growth but at 9 months its definitely dissapointing.

I want to but I have a strong feeling i'll be told to wait until the 15-18th month mark to see how things go. 

Not sure what to do at this stage.

Edit: I just forwarded them to his assistant to share with him.

Edited by TheManeMan

5 minutes ago, TheManeMan said:

I want to but I have a strong feeling i'll be told to wait until the 15-18th month mark to see how things go. 

Not sure what to do at this stage.

Edit: I just forwarded them to his assistant to share with him.

This is also right, you have to wait for the 12 months mark. Now you just have to wait for 3 more months, are you happy with this result?

9 minutes ago, jjalay said:

This is also right, you have to wait for the 12 months mark. Now you just have to wait for 3 more months, are you happy with this result?

I guess I'll wait before booking a repair. 

No I'm not happy at all haha. Looks like I didn't even get a HT. Thousands to look thr same as before.

Ah well, at least I don't live in a war zone. 

• Sad 1

As you say they’ll tell you to wait for the 12-18 month mark. Which is understandable as there are cases of late growth (although fairly rare). It’s a good idea to keep the clinic in the loop as you are doing so they have an idea of your progress. 

What I will say is that you’ve chosen a stand up , well respected surgeon who I’m sure will look to rectify any issue should it come to that. Good Luck for the next few months.

• Like 1

Update from clinic: 

"Thank you for the update.

Dr Reddy said that it's looking good for 9 month mark. He thinks there will be some hair coming through still and the area will thicken up a bit more.

Kind regards," 

Does anyone think this looks good for 9 months? To me it looks like someone who still needs a HT. My concern is that it was 50% denser at the 7 month mark.

@TheManeMan,

The transplanted hair shed you are talking about typically occurs between 4 to 6 weeks after the procedure.   This is before new growth even begins which is between 3 to 5 months after the procedure.

That said, hair can shed for a number of other reasons. For example, if you just recently started hearing loss medication such as finasteride or minoxidil, hair can begin to shed as a sign that the medication is working.

People also often refer to a seasonal shed where more than an average amount of hair will enter into the telogen phase than usual.

Of course, it’s also considered normal to lose between 50 to 100 hairs daily due to the normal hair growth cycle.

in all of the cases mentioned above, these hairs will return/grow back.

The other case may be that you are experiencing the continued progression of male pattern baldness.  Wild hair transplant surgery is great and is the only way to grow hair in completely bald areas… It does nothing to stop the progression of androgenetic alopecia a.k.a. genetic hair loss.

I suspect that what you are experiencing is one of the above scenarios. I do suggest speaking to your hair transplant surgeon if you suspect you’re losing transplant and hair (other than some temporary shedding) because this is not typical

i hope this helps 

Patient Advocate - Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.