REPAIR OPTIONS

Hi all,

My history is I had 3300 grafts placed in Zones 1 & 2 back in 2016.  In 2022, I had a repair in July that I am not happy with at all. (I am still in contact with this clinic and they have offered me a touch up). By no means do I consider my hair "botched" but I am seeking something more natural and appropriate to my facial features/design that will mature well.

This thread is not to discuss about those clinics as there is a separate thread with that, as far as I am concerned it is spilled milk.

I have been in discussion with some top doctors regarding having my hairline repaired again. Possibly extracting a large portion of the hairline and starting with a clean slate.

Among countless repair surgeries, in particular, this doctor, Dr Feriduni has performed a very similar case recently to the plan that has been marked out in below photos (marked in red) Dr Feriduni has come with this design himself. 2 to 3 sessions are expected, most probably 3.  Around 700 to 800 grafts are expected to be extracted and re transplanted to that thinning area in Zone 2.

Is there other OP's here that have experienced this level of extraction from the hairline? Personally, I feel it is the right path to undertake.

8.jpeg

extraction required.jpg

Rule of thirds.jpg

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

Edited by Tommy1991

I am considering something similar myself in the coming year but to a lesser scale, I just want to put some recession into my hairline to match my receded temples. 

I'd also consider Dr Edward Ball in the UK or I think Dr Lupanzula worked on Kyle Christie to remove a lot of his hairline grafts 

• Thanks 1

Second on Dr. Ball from the UK. I'm currently seriously considering him as my #1 option after reviewing a ton of his results in the past couple weeks. He has a good amount of results and experience with repairs from what I've seen. Furthermore, it seems that he is very straightforward with telling you what is realistic/possible. The only negative that I have heard of so far is that he is conservative. Which in your case, (which I have been following closely), I think those are all essential qualities in a surgeon. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Dr Feriduni, Ball, Zarev, and Munib are four that are definitely worth speaking to/booking consultations with. The critical component of a hairline raising HT surgery is that the Dr is only working on you on those particular days - you need the full attention of the surgeon on the day. You also need a very detailed plan of action from the Dr, a history of hairline extraction cases that show minimal scarring and be willing to possibly have to undergo a couple of passes. In your case, because you've had more grafts added to the hairline area in your second sitting, you have a really good density in that area. Aesthetically that's great - I'm jealous! - but from an extraction point of view, it'll require a more stagnated approach as per Dr Feriduni's assessment.

Most top Dr's will have cases like this, though unfortunately we don't get to see many of them - presumably because patients are less keen to showcase their repair work than they are with a successful first pass. It may take some time - a couple of years even - to be able to get consultations with half a dozen top doctors, but slow and steady wins the race, so also be prepared to wait a while.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2023 at 4:45 PM, Berik said:

Second on Dr. Ball from the UK. I'm currently seriously considering him as my #1 option after reviewing a ton of his results in the past couple weeks. He has a good amount of results and experience with repairs from what I've seen. Furthermore, it seems that he is very straightforward with telling you what is realistic/possible. The only negative that I have heard of so far is that he is conservative. Which in your case, (which I have been following closely), I think those are all essential qualities in a surgeon. 

Yes totally agree! Dr Feriduni also has a high level of conservatism and his reputation is huge.

I have yet to see a "bad repair" from Dr Ball, he is highly regarded also. Have you had any contact with his clinic?

17 hours ago, Tommy1991 said:

Yes totally agree! Dr Feriduni also has a high level of conservatism and his reputation is huge.

I have yet to see a "bad repair" from Dr Ball, he is highly regarded also. Have you had any contact with his clinic?

Not yet - the initial consult is with his patient advisor over zoom. That part is free - you can find it on the Maitland Clinic website.Then, its a $100 face to face consult that is required with Dr. Ball. But as I am in the US, I am waiting for my full results from finasteride to show before proceeding any further with surgeons. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Berik said:

Not yet - the initial consult is with his patient advisor over zoom. That part is free - you can find it on the Maitland Clinic website.Then, its a $100 face to face consult that is required with Dr. Ball. But as I am in the US, I am waiting for my full results from finasteride to show before proceeding any further with surgeons. 

Thanks! I just got in touch with the clinic to receive some sort of proposed plan/solution from Dr Ball also. I will keep you posted.

I would personally proceed with Dr Feriduni. He has so much experience with this type of work and I haven't seen any results which have left scars. 

Is the plan to remove 700 grafts in total over 2 seperate sessions or to remove 1400 grafts over 2 sessions? 

On 4/8/2023 at 12:57 AM, mrmane85 said:

I would personally proceed with Dr Feriduni. He has so much experience with this type of work and I haven't seen any results which have left scars. 

Is the plan to remove 700 grafts in total over 2 seperate sessions or to remove 1400 grafts over 2 sessions? 

The plan at the moment is to remove 700-800 grafts over 2-3 sessions. 

• Like 1

@Tommy1991,

if you are truly not happy with the positioning of the hairline, a.k.a. you feel the hairline is far too low. For example, then there probably isn’t any other way to repair the hairline other than to harvest/extract a number of the flick of the units in the hairline end re-transplant them.   Obviously, you have already suggested the possibility of having to remove and re-transplant many of the grafts so this is not a surprise you.

That said, if the positioning of the hairline is satisfactory to you, and you’re just looking to refine the hairline, identity, etc. then graft removal will likely not be necessary.  Keep in mind however, if extraction is necessary, especially below the new Hairline, you’re going to experience scarring.

Now, depending on your individual physiology and how well you heal, scarring may not be overly noticeable but anytime you’re score of the skin, scoring is inevitable, even if only minimal 

It does appear that your hairline is pretty low, although without seeing additional photos, I couldn’t really tell you whether or not it looks natural at its current position. That said, to avoid scarring at the hairline, it would be ideal to avoid extraction from the hairline. Just keep that in mind as you work with a surgeon to redesign a new Hairline and add density to the frontal core.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 2 months later...
  • Valued Contributor
On 4/6/2023 at 1:32 PM, Tommy1991 said:

Thanks! I just got in touch with the clinic to receive some sort of proposed plan/solution from Dr Ball also. I will keep you posted.

Hi @Tommy1991- did you get a consultation with Dr Ball in the end?

On 6/13/2023 at 3:15 AM, Berba11 said:

Hi @Tommy1991- did you get a consultation with Dr Ball in the end?

@Berba11 no mate, I did not. 

After weighing up all options and considering the work that has to be done, I have made my final decision to go with Feriduni! Surgery planned for April 2024! 

After speaking with the doctor 2/3’s of what you see below will be removed over the course of 3 to 4 sessions. (Photos perviously shown with red marking earlier in the thread) 

32CA81A7-1974-48A7-8AF7-86CFCFF3EC89.jpeg

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, Tommy1991 said:

@Berba11 no mate, I did not. 

After weighing up all options and considering the work that has to be done, I have made my final decision to go with Feriduni! Surgery planned for April 2024! 

After speaking with the doctor 2/3’s of what you see below will be removed over the course of 3 to 4 sessions. (Photos perviously shown with red marking earlier in the thread) 

32CA81A7-1974-48A7-8AF7-86CFCFF3EC89.jpeg

Great choice of Dr! Have you had an in-person consult with Dr F?

• 8 months later...

Leaving these photos here for future ref rather than keeping on my phone.

Hair is just wet, zero product. 

Repair scheduled 23_April and very much looking forward to it. 

I believe I have a good platform for a successful repair this time(Maybe after density check I might feel different 😂). 2-3 sessions are expected.
My temples and crown are pretty good. This repair will focus on raising my hairline and recycling those grafts to the transitional zone just behind it. Zone 2. Approx 700-800grafts. 

IMG_8287.jpeg

IMG_8286.jpeg

IMG_8284.jpeg

IMG_8277.jpeg

IMG_8278.jpeg

IMG_8279.jpeg

IMG_8276.jpeg

IMG_8275.jpeg

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

Going to be one of the most interesting cases to have passed through the forum in the last few years imo Tommy. I’m excited for you!

• Like 1

Tommy, I’m seriously routing for you in this upcoming repair. It’s been frustrating to see your having to do a third surgery for your hairline when this should have been to put to bed in your previous sittings. But Dr F is a meticulous surgeon, with an eye for detail, which god willing will get this one over the line for you! I’ll be following this journey and supporting you from the sidelines!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Going to be one of the most interesting cases to have passed through the forum in the last few years imo Tommy. I’m excited for you!

Thanks mate! 

13 hours ago, Bandit90 said:

Tommy, I’m seriously routing for you in this upcoming repair. It’s been frustrating to see your having to do a third surgery for your hairline when this should have been to put to bed in your previous sittings. But Dr F is a meticulous surgeon, with an eye for detail, which god willing will get this one over the line for you! I’ll be following this journey and supporting you from the sidelines!

Thanks man, very kind of you 😊

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@Tommy1991 I certainly feel your frustration and the patience and $$$ ahead of you. I had to have half a dozen repairs which only left me with a red long scar along my hairline. However in your case the patience will be worth it. Wishing you all the best. 💯👊🏻

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Tommy1991 wish you nothing but the best brotha, I’m rooting for you 🙏

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

20 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

@Tommy1991 wish you nothing but the best brotha, I’m rooting for you 🙏

thank you Mevin.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:36 PM, Gatsby said:

@Tommy1991 I certainly feel your frustration and the patience and $$$ ahead of you. I had to have half a dozen repairs which only left me with a red long scar along my hairline. However in your case the patience will be worth it. Wishing you all the best. 💯👊🏻

Thank you Gatsby

• Like 1