Eugenix Hair Sciences - FUE with Dr Arika Bansal - 4,910 grafts - NW6

messda

Hi Everyone

This is an overview of my recent procedure and journey with Eugenix, India. I have provided some fair amount of detail at some points, more so because I found it very helpful when diving into Eugenix research and on my lead up to leaving for India. I have created an overall snapshot summary early in the post to assist for anyone not needing the ins and outs of the experience.

I will attempt to give somewhat regular photo updates when time permits over the next year, and provide some milestones where possible.

I would love any feedback from time to time!

QUICK SUMMARY

Personal Background

Age 36.

Balding approx. last 6-7 years. Seemed to had slowed down around 35 (hard to tell).

Medication: finasteride 1.25mg /day, commenced ~3 months ago.

Clinic, Doctor and Grafts

Clinic:  Eugenix Hair Sciences, India

Doctor / Package: Dr Arika Bansal, Super Premium Package (slits and all extraction by Dr Arika, plus crucial implants, i.e. hair line placement)

Estimated needed: 4,900 grants (1,700 est. to come from beard).             

Actual grafts: 4,910 extracted, covering crown, mid-scalp and front + hair line (no temple)

Donor area: all from scalp – no beard was used.

Note: Initial photograph estimates stated they would likely use 1,700 from beard area, though on inspection, Dr Arika advised the donor area was good, and beard not as good. She foreshadowed perhaps using 300-500 from beard if it came down to it, but that did not end up occurring.

DETAILED EXPERIENCE

Booking, Payments and logistics

Overall, I have been happy with the smooth operation of Eugenix. Their various concierge teams are awesome, always quick to respond and have helped with everything from COVID information for immigration purposes (which has been changing from time to time), Visa assistance, accommodation / transfers / transport  and any question you basically at any time.

That said, different teams operate in their respective spaces. I always took my questions to my appointed concierge (Satyam – who has been awesome), and if it was something outside his space, for example say an airport transfer query or a financial query, he would have the correct person contact me relatively quickly. They also appear to be available many hours during the day.

I made payment via two international bank transfer from my usual Australian bank. I believe if I you get set up on a foreign currency exchange site like XE or WISE (I think it’s called), you wills save on some fees and get a slightly better rate. Unfortunately I was travelling in the weeks leading up when I was arranging payment, so it got difficult for me to arrange an account etc. so I went with the easy option of my bank transfer.

A tip for this section – with your India eVisa (mine was Medical eVisa), once approved and before you go to get your flight from your origin - ensure to go to the confirmation of status page (link in confirmation email), print out the Visa page which has your photo incorporated on the page before you get to your airport. I had seen this page, but thought my electronic PDF colour copy was fine. My airline, Malaysia Airlines, advised it was no sufficient for arrival in India, though assisted me with printing at the airport.

Arrival and Hotel

I arrived in India on Friday, 17 February 2023 around 1:30pm. It was a long journey, but what I expected. Immigration line was exceptionally long (perhaps 1-1.5 hour wait).

Eugenix had organised my hotel (Doubletree by Hilton in Baani Square) and someone from the Hotel was waiting with a place card after I exited customs / airport door. They took me to a hotel liaison who called the car straight over and I was at the hotel check-in within ~30mins. Check in was fast, easy, service is impeccable (throughout the hotel), food has been great too (restaurant and in-room).

The Hotel is approx. 1 km from the clinic. Very convenient.

Pre-op Checks

Pre Op checks occurred that same day a couple hours after check-in. A Eugenix driver picked me up as arranged (cars have always been nice, including Mercedes SUV at times), I was extremely tired from no sleep during transit. Pre-ops check were quick, blood pressure, anaesthetic reaction tests (x2), pulse thingy on finger. The whole process for me was less than 1 hour from door to door for me (Eugenix drivers arranged, ready and waiting to roll). Very efficient. The clinic is very close to Double Tree (few minutes’ drive in light traffic). A big shout out to my other concierge Gaurav who was another main contact for. Great guy, over and above to make things smooth.

Day 1 of 2 - Procedure – 19 February 2023.

Start time was arranged for 10am, though I received a message and a call the night before to advise a change to 8am. I was asleep when the message came in, though luckily woke up at 7:30am and found the missed calls following and the change of time message. – jet lag / sleep deprivation had me in a deep sleep. It was no big deal. I still ate breakfast as was advised to, and was at the clinic around a little after 8am with no issue.

Photos were taken and I met Dr Arika to go over hairline discussions and drawing. Had a hair cut (never shaved my head before, learned I have a birthmark!) filled some forms and consents they walk you through, answered and questions / concerns etc, then only onto procedure.

Hairline discussions were relatively quick (as I have seen others post), but I wasn’t offended. My comments were listened to, my questions answered and drawing amended slightly (and I also took advice re hair line based on my ‘head shape’).

I recall end of day was around 5:30pm and that approx. 2,490 grafts were completed on day 1. All extraction and slits performed by Dr Arika Bansal.

Generally speaking, during the procedure pain is very little, some exists during anaesthesia to the head but nothing outrageous and it generally was just little pricks. The team are always checking in with you to ensure no pain and address any that arises.

For Lunch break – during my pre-op meeting they run you through various food options they can get in for your, I asked them to recommend some local cuisine (I do not eat much Indian food where I am from, so keen to try recommended authentic). The lunch (chicken curry etc) provided was very nice.

Toward the end of the session the swelling caused by anaesthetic actually caused me the most discomfort. I felt “heavy” and “tight” in the head. The last hour of both days was really mentally the toughest part (for me). Again, its discomfort from laying down all day and slight pains here and there I guess as the anaesthetic wore down (never anything extreme and if it was getting high it was addressed by the nurse on hand) and I remember thinking to myself by around the last hour, “ok I’ve had enough for the day…”. That said, the team remind you that you can take a break whenever you want. Sitting up and drinking some water helps, a little massage from the great team helps a lot too. I tried not to opt for too many breaks but they have them either way.

Day 1 was 3,000 slits to mid-scalp, front area and hair line. Extraction of ~2,490 took place and implantation was to mid-scalp only this day.

Sleep was not as bad as I expected on night 1 after procedure – got around 5 hours (broken). My day 1 procedure donor extraction area was not low line central on back of head which is what occurred on day 2 (and made sleep a little more complicated the second night).

Day 2 of 2 procedure - 20 February 2023

Arrival time was ~9am. Balance of grafts for day 2 (around ~2,400 taken more to bring it to 4,910). All additional slits performed to crown and all extraction again by Dr Arika.

Similar comments in terms of day 1 procedure. Op end time was from memory around 6pm. I was playing mental gymnastics for it to end again by about the last hour. Main issue for me again being soreness from the tightness/swelling again. Not too bad in the scheme of things.

Crown was completed, hairline ‘crucial’ rows were then inserted by Dr Arika toward the end of day 2, and finally area behind hair line was filled in back to the mid-scalp area that was completed on day 1.

I was a bit dazed after surgery as I was led out to the bathroom (it’s a long day, takes its toll and getting up fast and so on is just not pleasant, as one would expect). One of the doctors I had not met, tall gentleman, happened to be around and saw me, stopped me and invited me to sit with him just to rest – he looked me over (not the work, more just to check I was doing okay). It was a good call - I needed to sit for a couple minutes and drink some more water, and again it goes to their professionalism. The whole Eugenix team appears to be a tight working unit with patients’ wellbeing at the forefront of their mind.

Post Op

I was introduced to a member of the post-op care team and was run through medications, spray use every 1 hour, sleeping positions again, question time, future outlooks and what to expect when etc. I was also advised to ring / message them any time between 10am and 10pm if anything arises I need help with. They messaged the next day anyway, to introduce themselves so I had the what’s app number, and again let me know they are there to assist.

I decided to take an extended stay for a week post-op, so I will attend the clinic for assistance with cleaning donor area / ointment and head wash in 6-7 days before departing for home. I have been provided alongside my medications, all the betadine and ointments needed, but figured it would be nice to have some help. I went for my first head wash around lunch (day 1 after procedure), it was fast and efficient, with door to door transport waiting on both ends.

Emergency Repair Note (Dr Das interactions)

So far at the time of finalising this report, I had one mishap. I am an idiot – but in my defence, it was an accident and so easy to do!

I was working on my PC in my room and subconsciously went to itch my head (recipient area). As soon as I touched the area I realised what I had done and pulled my hand back thinking “oh that was close” but it was too late. A slight touch and a full on blood stream started – kind of shocked me! I messaged the phone to post-op team with a pic (included below), waited for it to clot / stop bleeding (held tissue on forehead away from hairline grafts to keep clean), and waited for post-op who replied pretty quickly.

A car was arranged not long after and I was back at the clinic. This was around 7pm (ish)

Dr Das (lovely and funny woman) was around the clinic at the time and attended and took a look. Once I was cleaned up they examined and noted only 1 dislodged graft. I wrote it off given it was my mistake. Dr Das however had a team ready up prep an op theatre to replace the graft! I said it was my fault, im glad it was only one and feel quite bad they’d get me back one the table for just 1. She absolutely did not flinch at the idea and said it was fine, would only take a minute. Nurse came in numbed me up, extracted a newbie and before I knew it, it was done. I actually said “oh have you already extracted?” to which I was advised “yes, and its implanted, it’s all done”.

Dr Das showed me the lost graft they recovered and said we should hold a 2 minute silence for it haha... She has a good sense of humour, especially because I was probably a little stressed. I had a few interactions with Dr Das over the days (even though not part of my team/package), and she has a very calming persona and she is very professional too.

Thanks to all of the Eugenix team (if anyone there is reading this). I met so many people (and continue to on my daily visits) and each one was as friendly as the last. I am sorry I cannot remember every single person’s name! What a lovely group of people. Even those technicians, doctors and assistants who were not on my procedure team – all made time to talk to me, have a chat about every day things, and it kind of just takes the initial edge off in itself because they seem to care so much about you and ensuring a pleasant time/service.

PHOTOS 

1.       Pre op photos by Eugenix

2.      Post op photos by Eugenix (after day 2)

3.      Photo of damaged graft taken in hotel (pre-repair) – seeEmergency Graft” heading above for explanation if you skipped through and want to know more

image.thumb.jpeg.e07e059671fea85b2fdd0a90c35b0aad.jpeg

6.Rearcrown.thumb.jpg.5af24a555057ec382e2a5826e3987f12.jpg5.Birdeyeredact.thumb.jpg.fbfa2dae199ffd370b485d5da7559d7b.jpg4_Top.thumb.jpg.f37794424ee01fca9ae1414756ec6969.jpg3.Backleftdonor.thumb.jpg.36e6243717e63c380fdc48dc7c43578b.jpg2.RHProfileRedact.thumb.jpg.dec5674549c11774dfc54759850727e8.jpg

POST OP PHOTOS BY EUGENIX

7.Donor.thumb.jpg.b226991f9e1ab48e9bf393f4d57e3053.jpg6.Crown.thumb.jpg.37db578be7a7b019f3f3973dff7264c7.jpg5.Leftquarterpanelredact.thumb.jpg.3b42efabc17499954c0ea0ca8ca48667.jpg4.Topredact.thumb.jpg.202247d56c89e2c563e864b92b75aaf5.jpg3.Rightsideprofileredact.thumb.jpg.f52ba169a59f5576f578d5dbe7aac46e.jpg2.Leftsideprofileredact.thumb.jpg.813214ca9d8cb6a3e1733c6378083f30.jpg1.FrontFaceupredact.thumb.jpg.6a30c2c622a34dab33d8ba75e59590da.jpg

Emergency Repair - Before Repair

image.thumb.jpeg.b136fa5cfa8dd8186d373afdf0010afd.jpeg

Edited by messda
Clarification of all slits and extraction by Dr Arika
  • Like 2

• messda changed the title to Eugenix Hair Sciences - FUE with Dr Arika Bansal - 4,910 grafts - NW6

Great writeup. While I was there that was my fear. While sleeping I buttoned my sleep on both shirt-arms to the bottom of my shirt (if you know what I mean?) so that I would not do that without thinking or in my sleep.

Dr Das is great. This looks good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

• Valued Contributor

@messda what an excellent write up! Very detailed and goes to show how Eugenix goes above and beyond in terms of service (even if it means doing it all over again for one graft). I also lost a graft in my first surgery and they replaced it as well. Yes Dr Das is such a wonderful and warm hearted lady. Looking forward to following your journey. All the best!

• Thanks 1

Looks like great work! I would kindly (I think) correct the previous comments that this was with with Dr. Bansal. 

Looking forward to seeing your journey!

Edited by general-etwan

1 hour ago, general-etwan said:

Looks like great work! I would kindly (I think) correct the previous comments that this was with with Dr. Bansal. 

Looking forward to seeing your journey!

Yes that is correct.

All planning, slits, extraction and the hairline performed by Dr Arika Bansal who was lovely to meet.

To clarify, Dr Das assisted to repair the graft I accidentally knocked out, as it was in the evening and I guess she happened to be around.

• 2 weeks later...

Graft Breakdown as follows:

Single: 256

Double: 2430

Triple: 1840

Quadruple: 393

My math says 12,208 total from 4919 grafts (got my topic heading incorrect it seems).

Current status at day 16 post procedure, all scabs gone, though parts of scalp are dry and flaking (using alo vera gel before shower and dove shampoo in shower to assist this). Donor is healing well, some slight sensitivity and tingling areas for a little bit when washed, though nothing I am concerned about at this time. 

Post-op team and care instructions and communications have been regular, quick to reply and are all round great from Eugenix.

Hello. For anyone following along at home or for future punters, below photos were taken on day 13 post procedure as requested by Eugenix (except the last photo which just a one off from today - Day 17 post procedure).

Donor appears to be coming along ok. 

Scalp is a little dry, nothing crazy. Redness persists - more prominent to see on day 17 photo. 

I have as of yesterday noticed some small hairs starting to shed 😭

WhatsAppImage2023-03-04at7_23_35PM.thumb.jpeg.caad0808775cfb7ef5abcd65c44fd633.jpegWhatsAppImage2023-03-04at7_23.35PM(2).thumb.jpeg.e245920bbe5489622d8654c5236e3888.jpegWhatsAppImage2023-03-04at7_23.35PM(1).thumb.jpeg.ba425113f0329a68cb39d4ad5fe7cd85.jpegWhatsAppImage2023-03-04at7_23_34PM.thumb.jpeg.2b422ae32d7317572ef96fcb362de416.jpegWhatsAppImage2023-03-04at7_23.34PM(3).thumb.jpeg.129536c120b6c0c21daa711f8e8f84d8.jpegWhatsAppImage2023-03-04at7_23.34PM(1).thumb.jpeg.17a8073875e46cc46f5b4ab3114b3cad.jpegWhatsAppImage2023-03-04at7_23_33PM.thumb.jpeg.b348255f143175a0a6a9eefc05e03517.jpegWhatsAppImage2023-03-04at7_23.33PM(4).thumb.jpeg.8d4ef43ab8130fd14763eb586acc19b5.jpegWhatsAppImage2023-03-04at7_23.33PM(3).thumb.jpeg.3c6f947306877d98e6c2d9be7905819d.jpeg

DAY 17 Picture:

image.thumb.jpeg.ce9822560c6a774e35b898288a03032d.jpeg

2 hours ago, Reecee said:

You seem to have a few lonely hairs at the front?

Couple of stragglers at the front from my natural hairline. Doesn't really bother me, i figured I will see how it all looks in 10-12months before getting concerned  about anything (I read often that is easier said than done!)

Redness seems a bit more prominent in person (compared to photos) for some reason, but is slowly getting better.

20 hours ago, messda said:

Couple of stragglers at the front from my natural hairline. Doesn't really bother me, i figured I will see how it all looks in 10-12months before getting concerned  about anything (I read often that is easier said than done!)

Redness seems a bit more prominent in person (compared to photos) for some reason, but is slowly getting better.

Keep hold of them!  It's nothing to be concerned about

• Like 1

Here are Day 23 photos (requested by clinic one Day 21 for evaluation - though I've been caught up with life)

Clinic reports they are happy with progress. As it grows out, my donor is looking very noticeable.. but I know it's so early so I'll just keep waiting. 

Flaking scalp every day still. Clinic advises 1 wash per day. I use dove, I feel after washing my hair when it's soft scalp it flakes even more.. not sure what to do to help it... Probs the most annoying thing so far.

I have 3 weddings this month in a row. 1 last weekend and 1 for each coming weekend.. great timing! I'm just rocking up as is, no one really cares, and if anything my friends are more than interested to hear more. I've had more than a half dozen or so mates ask more info because they are getting interested given their own situations.

I am thinking by wedding No. 3 in about 2 weeks time,  to buzz cut everything back to a no. 2 perhaps, as I think by then my donor and surrounding area to recipient will be noticeably different. Clinic indicated this was ok to do.

I'll update around 1 month or just after! Any comments or feedback or tips is very appreciated thanks everyone.

20230314_182142.jpg

20230314_182155.jpg

20230314_182159.jpg

20230314_182206.jpg

20230314_182210.jpg

20230314_182225.jpg

20230314_182302.jpg

20230314_182230.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello! Foranyone interested, the following photos are taken 90 days post procedure. The photos are taken indoors (hotel) under standard room lighting. 

Often people comment that it is coming along nicely, though as I see progress daily, I can't really tell. I feel there is a long way to go. Sometimes questioning whether its worked or whether there will be enough density (my biggest concern), but then of course its just way to early to know. Time will tell. For anyone wondering, I do not hide the fact that I have had a HT, I speak openly about it if it comes up, I carry on day to day life as if I didn't have it and quite honestly, I forget most of the time (until someone comments, as mentioned above).

I continue 1mg Fin and multivitamins per Eugenix recommendation. I was using Nizoral shampoo for a number of weeks as directed to address flaking, dry and sometimes the occasional pimple / skin issue. That seems to have subsided. I am using regular Dove shampoo basically daily as recommended. 

I had 1 hair cut (buzzed 2/3) by barber around mid March 2023 due to having 3 weddings that month lol - nice timing right. I am not just letting it grow and grow with only minor self-trim care, very minimal at most. I will get another proper trim haircut before a holiday in approx 7 weeks time. I figure just let it grow and see how it looks!

Any comments or feedback on progress is very welcomed.  Thanks all

(Sorry for the two or three pics that for some reason rotate when I upload - unsure how to fix that)

Front 45 redacted.jpg

Front redacted.jpg

LHS redacted.jpg

Rear 45 LHS.jpg

Rear above.jpg

Rear1.png

RHS 45 redacted.jpg

RHS redacted.jpg

TOP direct.jpg

Top RHS.jpg

• Valued Contributor

It’s looking good for only three weeks and you should be coming out of the ugly duckling phase now so expect to see growth at month four, five, etc. The best is now coming up. Your donor in the pics look excellent too. Thanks for sharing! 👍

• Valued Contributor

It seems you just came out of the shedding phase so from now on you will start seeing growth ..you hairs will start geting fuller and thicker ....from my experience the best difference is seen after completing 8th month...so don't worry about the density right now..it wills surely come...bt i can understand this waiting period is frustrating and gives us many negative thoughts as i am into the same phase ...so just keep calm and be positive ..you will soon swag with your new hairs...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• 1 month later...

Hello, I thought I would post some pictures which were taken post hair cut yesterday (and one shot today in a bathroom with strong fluro lighting above)

Today is 4 months and 18 days. I basically have just let my hair grow until now, did not really care about ugly duckling and just carried on. I went for a proper trim yesterday prior to going on holiday (I was looking shabby!).

All photos from barber chair (so nicely cut and combed etc). Bathroom standing photo is taken just now (day after hair cut).

All in all, I feel things are on the up after shedding. Still seems 'thin' on top, especially if close inspection, but so far its coming along nicely. 

I'll aim to post again in about a month or so

front redact 2.jpg

Front redact 3.jpg

LHS Redacted.jpg

Rear.jpg

RHD Redacted.jpg

Top Down Barber.jpg

Bathroom redact 1.jpg

• Like 3

@messda 

Thank you for the update; everything is looking good and on track. From here on, you'll experience gradual growth month by month. The scalp will get denser in the coming months, and the complete results you'll achieve in 12 months' time.

Keep us updated on your progress. 

Warmest Regards
Eugenix Hair Sciences 

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2023 at 12:46 PM, messda said:

Hello, I thought I would post some pictures which were taken post hair cut yesterday (and one shot today in a bathroom with strong fluro lighting above)

Today is 4 months and 18 days. I basically have just let my hair grow until now, did not really care about ugly duckling and just carried on. I went for a proper trim yesterday prior to going on holiday (I was looking shabby!).

All photos from barber chair (so nicely cut and combed etc). Bathroom standing photo is taken just now (day after hair cut).

All in all, I feel things are on the up after shedding. Still seems 'thin' on top, especially if close inspection, but so far its coming along nicely. 

I'll aim to post again in about a month or so

front redact 2.jpg

Front redact 3.jpg

LHS Redacted.jpg

Rear.jpg

RHD Redacted.jpg

Top Down Barber.jpg

Bathroom redact 1.jpg

Unbelievable result considering at only 4 months 18 days. Great work by Eugenix. 

• Like 1