Does hair colour impact results?

Do you think very dark hair, on pale skin, can result in quite a harsh hairline? Do you know what I mean? I see results posted where they don’t look “soft” and almost look a bit too much! 
Is it the contrast between the dark and the light? Or am I talking nonsense?! 

mon other words does a lighter hair colour result in a softer, more natural appearance? 

Edited by Otis james

The softness is down to correct hair selection, correct angulation, and appropriate density.

The ratio between hair colour: scalp colour usually relates to the overall illusion of density. 

The goal is to prevent the scalp being visible - therefore light coloured hair on light coloured skin, naturally provides more of a camouflage. 

• Moderators

There is the hair color to skin color contrast and there is also the hair shaft thickness. People with thinner hairs have an easier time getting a more natural looking hair line because the hairs are softer than thick, coarse hairs.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

2 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

There is the hair color to skin color contrast and there is also the hair shaft thickness. People with thinner hairs have an easier time getting a more natural looking hair line because the hairs are softer than thick, coarse hairs.

Ah ok, yeah, that makes sense… 

if I use these two pics as an example. Both look nice but, to me, the lighter colour hair looks softer and less obviously a transplant… 

B0579140-7E31-4DC3-8005-22F41348B031.jpeg

AD3E9CF1-4429-453B-8E5A-686ED914BA5A.jpeg

• Like 1

i would say the light colored ht is very good but the hair line pattern in the center needs more irregularity and another giveaway is the sparse hair in front front of that hair line which used to be his old hairline. 

Skin to Hair contrast is the main thing that will impact results, if your hair is blonde and your a white guy you can have more coverage for less grafts. Whilst a white guy with dark hair will need to have more grafts to cover the contrast between scalp to hair.

Here is a question of my own that I was thinking about.

If your beard hair is a different colour than your scalp hair. How will that impact your results? My beard hair is almost ginger, whilst my scalp is very dark brown almost black. If I were to use beard hair in lets say my crown and mix that in with my scalp hair will the beard hairs make it look unnatural? The salt and pepper look with a mix of gray and black hairs look natural but how would ginger and dark brown hair look? Unnatural? We've heard of beard hair matching the characteristics of scalp hairs when transplanted but what about the colour of the hair?

Edited by mister_25
grammar
  • Like 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

Another thing to consider is that density and caliber of hair is different across colours. As a result you're conditioned to expecting different characteristics for each colour. Since people with blonde hair have fewer follicles on their head naturally, it'll be easier for a surgeon to get closer to natural density.

4 hours ago, mister_25 said:

Skin to Hair contrast is the main thing that will impact results, if your hair is blonde and your a white guy you can have more coverage for less grafts. Whilst a white guy with dark hair will need to have more grafts to cover the contrast between scalp to hair.

If your beard hair is a different colour than your scalp hair. How will that impact your results? My beard hair is almost ginger, whilst my scalp is very dark brown almost black. If I were to use beard hair in lets say my crown and mix that in with my scalp hair will the beard hairs make it look unnatural? The salt and pepper look with a mix of gray and black hairs look natural but how would ginger and dark brown hair look? Unnatural? We've heard of beard hair matching the characteristics of scalp hairs when transplanted but what about the colour of the hair?

Great question wondering same thing due to my ginger beard 

3 hours ago, Calihome1 said:

The dark haired hairline looks amazing.  Would like to see the before pics

It is very good work! It’s great if you’re 21! It’s just too much for an older guy, in my opinion. 

53AD5DF1-B786-4569-97AC-1E919AC383E1.png

Edited by Otis james

Blonde Caucasian hair is usually thinner than the average caliper, therefore the result will have less artificial effect, in a professional HT procedure the clinic implant single grafts only over the first 2-3 cm of the hairline, some single grafts are thinner than others, the thinnest single grafts (usually punched from the edges) will be placed over the 1st cm of the hairline.

In some cases, during the procedure our doctors find out that the patient doesn't have enough single grafts for the hairline, in these cases our staff use razors to split double grafts into single grafts under microscopes.

These treatments for instance you won't get in a cheap hair mills.

In a professional procedure the clinic will do their best for "perfection" but a paitent must also have realistic expectations, transplanted hair looks and grows differently even when it's a top notch job.

In my opinion a clinic should have a proper protocol to follow consistently but also diverse results with different hairlines that compliment to the candidate's personality, some grown paitents can have a youthful hairline that will look natural and not weird, I take myself as example, this Saturday I'll be 40 years old, my forehead structure is pretty flat and naturally low, so it was the right choice that Dr. Maras did me the repair procedure straight youthful hairline (but with zigzags for natural contrast), the first clinic in Turkey botched me badly before and now I'm happy, never no one asked or criticized that I should have conservative hairline, however my black hair and grey hair is thinner than the average so it won't look aggressively thick.

Usually candidates from Spain, Portugal, Argentina, ect have that aggressive thick single grafts, they also need less single grafts over the hairline to achieve homogenous result with natural hair.

Some paitents should have conservative hair, either because of the head structure or limited sonor.

At the end these choices are decided both with the patient and the clinic before the surgery date.

So it's not only the hair color, it's also the shape and diameter of the hair with the head structure, every paitent is a unique case.

Edited by Doron Harati

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

@Otis james,

Hair to skin color contrast ratio is one factor that affects the naturalness and aesthetic nature of a hair transplant.  That said, it’s only one factor and it is certainly very possible to create a very natural looking transplant on somebody with dark hair and pale skin.  I presented a few examples showing some of Dr. Rahal’s recent patients below.

as you can see in the below photos, the hairline is still nice and soft even though the patient has pale skin and dark hair. So it’s definitely possible to create a highly natural appearance which comes down to A physicians skill in cherry picking/selecting the best follicular units for the hairline, graft placement, hairline design, etc   

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

D39B79E6-4C5C-4D54-8E82-55346D3A991E.jpeg

8CEC086D-CAA1-4BB2-844A-12522BB6BFD1.jpeg

B3744A16-57F5-4BB3-95C4-5EDB5FDCFF09.jpeg

F243CDCA-FE7A-458D-B8CC-8A19B3FEDE75.jpeg

45133CCF-4595-466E-B790-39AA73FDFA65.jpeg

93C80679-F8EF-4720-A435-D1C7E258D008.jpeg

A9BF7A21-9FB4-4C22-9FE1-EFF90ABD6469.jpeg

B5A04463-05EB-4990-A79D-0355150A49BB.jpeg

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I wanted to post again to show you a specific example of a very soft looking hairline on a patient with pale skin and dark hair.  Take a look at Not only the hairline design but also the placement of  the grafts in order to create a soft and natural look.

BEFORE

7C3AA0D8-2B06-40E2-9075-843439560BC1.jpeg.50f46c26133561a7c63890c13f12f642.jpeg

AFTER

28038E49-2233-46B2-8AC5-4232D4D6F045.jpeg.9415537d1d53457476d23b95a2eef7d7.jpeg

I also I did the postop picture so you can get a better idea of what it looked like immediately after surgery.

POST-OP

EE3A7B47-8647-4586-9E01-3E621CA8C80B.jpeg.22643ffb8545adf8f416357ba4eeec1e.jpeg

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 2/19/2023 at 10:10 AM, mister_25 said:

If one is truly 'all-in' w/hair restoration (beard & hair grafts) & the beard & hair grafts have many different 'shades'/colors & considering beard hairs are all single follicles & thicker & have different growing cycles & can have a different 'wave'/curl than scalp hair...

In my opinion only then a guy should probably commit the extra $$$'s to a professional colorist w/years of experience in order to 'nail' down their looks throughout the year & going forward.

But that's only if it bothers or concerns them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Calihome1 said:

Looks like this is Pinto.  What a great result.  You have a link to the entire case?

I’ve been in trouble for linking to people work! Not sure if I’m over stepping the mark by doing so…. It’s on his Instagram. 

I agree it’s good work. It’s just too perfect, in my opinion. Unless the patient is 16. In which case, it’s fine!! 

7 hours ago, Otis james said:

I’ve been in trouble for linking to people work! Not sure if I’m over stepping the mark by doing so…. It’s on his Instagram. 

I agree it’s good work. It’s just too perfect, in my opinion. Unless the patient is 16. In which case, it’s fine!! 

Can you PM me the link?