Is a HT a good idea for me? (Photos)

So I’ve contacted dozens of clinics over the past few weeks (including reputable ones) and not one has said that I don’t need a hair transplant. In fact most rated me as a NW 3-4 with diffused thinning. That was until I contacted Dr. Bicer’s clinic, and Dr Bicer herself apparently thinks my hairline is good/natural the way it is and claims I don’t need one. Just wanted opinions on this? 

Also, any assessments as to where you think my hair is at and how many grafts I’d need for surgery would be appreciated. I have been on Finasteride for over 6 months so hoping my hair loss has stabilised. 

I’ll throw in a photo of my doner area for assessment as well. The two photos with graft numbers are proposed plans from a certain clinic I spoke to. 

Thanks! 

03419C6F-4A83-474B-AB2C-C0A8A64BC3AC.jpeg

16D06E86-0DC7-43C5-AAA4-37D8FC8C1A92.jpeg

F169488B-D19D-404A-B722-054D174ABAC7.jpeg

DFCDC1AC-8CE2-43F9-AF9D-60C9CD6428E2.png

8FC5FECD-CB4B-42E7-8E38-AB9955FB38BD.png

I think you totally qualify for a hair transplant. I do want to mention thought that the hairline in your last pic is way too straight and juvenile. It would be unnatural. 

34 minutes ago, Adrenaline7 said:

Dr Bicer herself apparently thinks my hairline is good/natural the way it is and claims I don’t need one.

It is not uncommon for doctors to reject patients simply because they are difficult cases and the doctors don't want to deal with the drama. Or maybe the doctor thinks they aren't skilled enough to give you a good outcome. 

Perhaps Dr. Bicer does not feel confident in working with curly hair? Perhaps you are demanding a one-and-done surgery and Dr. Bicer thinks you require multiple rounds?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I think you totally qualify for a hair transplant. I do want to mention thought that the hairline in your last pic is way too straight and juvenile. It would be unnatural. 

It is not uncommon for doctors to reject patients simply because they are difficult cases and the doctors don't want to deal with the drama. Or maybe the doctor thinks they aren't skilled enough to give you a good outcome. 

Perhaps Dr. Bicer does not feel confident in working with curly hair? Perhaps you are demanding a one-and-done surgery and Dr. Bicer thinks you require multiple rounds?

That’s an interesting point of view. So you think she could just be trying to palm me off? I definitely didn’t demand a one and done surgery. In fact, I’d probably prefer to focus on the hairline/front thinning at first then go back and worry about the crown later on after trying some other treatments and Finasteride has had 12+ months to do it’s work. 

2 hours ago, Adrenaline7 said:

That’s an interesting point of view. So you think she could just be trying to palm me off? I definitely didn’t demand a one and done surgery.

Curly hair is more complicated than straight hair so it could possible be that. Or perhaps your hairloss is a bit diffuse, or some other reason. 

But yes, Dr. Bicer is very popular with lines out the door, and it does not financially hurt her at all to reject patients. She can pick and choose cases as she pleases, so perhaps for whatever reason she just didn't want to take you on. 

Honestly I think its a blessing in disguise. I understand Dr. Bicer is objectively and legitimately a good doctor, but I personally would never go to Turkey for surgery. 

I honestly dont understand at all how she says you don't need any work done. You clearly have significant Male Pattern Baldness. Sounds like an excuse on her end.

You can always email her back and ask for another explanation. 

OP, the top down picture shows you thinning and medication is probably the best action to help with that. Finasteride to halt further progression and see how things shake out for 12 months. 

As for the black lines and quote of 3k grafts, that's ridiculous. I had just over 2k grafts and that resulted in just over 730 for the temple points. Then the rest towards the frontal hairline. I do not think there's any chance you can expect realistically to have to transplant 3k grafts in that small space. 

Some pay claim the hairline is too low and straight and to a degree they would be right but you sometimes can get away with it IF you do it properly and qualify. However, i would be extremely wary in your situation because of the hair loss in the midscalp. 

If i was in your shoes, medication with Microneedling is my first course of action and after 12-24 months, re-evaluate for a HT and save up during that time and sending out consultation requests to reputable clinics with genuine patient reviews. 

22 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

OP, the top down picture shows you thinning and medication is probably the best action to help with that. Finasteride to halt further progression and see how things shake out for 12 months. 

As for the black lines and quote of 3k grafts, that's ridiculous. I had just over 2k grafts and that resulted in just over 730 for the temple points. Then the rest towards the frontal hairline. I do not think there's any chance you can expect realistically to have to transplant 3k grafts in that small space. 

Some pay claim the hairline is too low and straight and to a degree they would be right but you sometimes can get away with it IF you do it properly and qualify. However, i would be extremely wary in your situation because of the hair loss in the midscalp. 

If i was in your shoes, medication with Microneedling is my first course of action and after 12-24 months, re-evaluate for a HT and save up during that time and sending out consultation requests to reputable clinics with genuine patient reviews. 

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. 

Yeah, most clinics have estimated the amount of grafts I require to be in the 3000-3500 range, which includes 2000-2500 in the front and 1000-1500 on the top crown area to add density so I had a feeling 3000 was overkill. I wasn't even considering that clinic anyway.

So you wouldn't suggest having a hair transplant at the moment even just to fix the completely bald hairline and front area, while leaving the diffused thinning alone for now? The hairline is actually what bothers me most as that shapes your whole face and I've noticed my face looks a lot different ever since it receded. 

Don't pay any attention to Bicer rejecting you lol, she is overly conservative - even relative to the fact that hair transplant surgeons as a whole tend to be conservative in general. I had similar hair loss as you and she also rejected me. Every other elite clinic I contacted accepted me. 

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

Six months is really not long enough to see the full benefit of finasteride. I would give it a year and you could also add minoxidil also to see if you respond to this. How old are you can I ask? Dr Bicer has a valid point about potentially causing damage to native hair an 99.9% of other Turkish doctors would have had you in the chair just for the money. I see you have some MPB in the crown too. My advice is to wait and stick with the meds for another six months. During this time do as much research as you can. All the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

Six months is really not long enough to see the full benefit of finasteride. I would give it a year and you could also add minoxidil also to see if you respond to this. How old are you can I ask? Dr Bicer has a valid point about potentially causing damage to native hair an 99.9% of other Turkish doctors would have had you in the chair just for the money. I see you have some MPB in the crown too. My advice is to wait and stick with the meds for another six months. During this time do as much research as you can. All the best.

I'm 31 years old and my hair is just very fine and thin all over, so not sure it'll ever have any sort of thickness to it without a hair transplant to be honest. it's just a pain trying to style it without it looking like a complete fluffy rabble, and any time even the slightest of wind hits my hair, it blows back and reveals the bad receding. 

Seriously contemplating forgetting the trip to Turkey all together and going to see Dr. Laorwong or Dr. Patty in Bangkok in January. 

• Administrators

How old are you? And are you on meds?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi @Adrenaline7

This is Hala, working for @DrTBarghouthi

I tagged Dr Taleb so he could give you an advice regarding your case.

Kind regards,

Hala

Patient Adviser to Dr. Taleb Barghouthi - approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with us here  or via WhatsApp at +962778837839 (Jordan) or +962798378396 (Jordan). 

Social media Instagram & Facebook : vertexhair

10 hours ago, Adrenaline7 said:

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. 

Yeah, most clinics have estimated the amount of grafts I require to be in the 3000-3500 range, which includes 2000-2500 in the front and 1000-1500 on the top crown area to add density so I had a feeling 3000 was overkill. I wasn't even considering that clinic anyway.

So you wouldn't suggest having a hair transplant at the moment even just to fix the completely bald hairline and front area, while leaving the diffused thinning alone for now? The hairline is actually what bothers me most as that shapes your whole face and I've noticed my face looks a lot different ever since it receded. 

You can get the frontal hairline done if you want but the midscalp potentially getting worse is more og a concern and then if the hair behind the transplant receded, you're basically skating on ice trying to chase. 

The donor is finite, so making the best use of it is crucial. Right now, giving medication and Microneedling 12-24 months to work, possibly using Minoxidil and see how things shake out then decide if you want to go ahead for the front and feel you stopped further hair loss in its tracks. 

If you look at my hair transplant for example, although i literally had no temple points, i'd been on medication for at least a year (Dutasteride 0.5mg everyday) and the hair loss progression didn't have obvious diffuse thinning and generally looked positive to go with a frontal restoration as aggressive looking as i went for. 

You are in your 30s which puts you at a better age but don't rush into anything. It's more permanent and difficult to undo surgery as well as costing you more financially and emotionally in the long rub. 

How long have you been on Finasteride? Also, have you considered using Minoxidil as well? When taken together along with @NARMAK suggestion to microneedle, you may see enough improvement to be happy. If not, then I'd explore a hair transplant. Definitely worth going thru 12 to 24 months of adding a few more weapons to the daily hair arsenal to at least know that you've done everything to improve it before taking the next step of surgery.

Follow my Journey with Eugenix and Dr Arika Bansal!

We are about the same age and about the same type of hair loss, receding hairline and just diffused thinning all over the top, what people suggested me is go on medication for at least a year and then re evaluate. Sent my pictures with clinics in thailand and india and the Philippines (where I'm from) and, eugenix was the only clinic that kind of rejected me saying I don't need transplant at this point and to just go on medication.. all others quoted me from 1800 to 2.5k grafts... Also, here's more of a personal suggestion, from my experience, just shave it all off while you're doing you're research and medical therapy, being stuck in that middle ground where you're trying to hide the balding is actually the worst place to be in my opinion, and the worst look aesthetically, you will almost always look better bald (shaved) than the receding hairstyle. 

4 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

considering you are balding at the crown i wouldnt go to aggressive with the hairline

maybr finasteride will stop working or you get sides and then you will bald to norwood 5/6 with a teenage hairline

Second hair transplant for the crown? If I only need 2000-2500 grafts for hairline and front area then I should have plenty of grafts left over. 

6 hours ago, MazAB said:

How long have you been on Finasteride? Also, have you considered using Minoxidil as well? When taken together along with @NARMAK suggestion to microneedle, you may see enough improvement to be happy. If not, then I'd explore a hair transplant. Definitely worth going thru 12 to 24 months of adding a few more weapons to the daily hair arsenal to at least know that you've done everything to improve it before taking the next step of surgery.

Follow my Journey with Eugenix and Dr Arika Bansal!

I’ve been on Finasteride for just over 6 months now. Yeah, topical Minoxidil gave me a pretty unpleasant burning feeling and racing heart so I might try to add Dutasteride a couple of times a week instead. Apparently studies show that works well. 

5 hours ago, Henry said:

We are about the same age and about the same type of hair loss, receding hairline and just diffused thinning all over the top, what people suggested me is go on medication for at least a year and then re evaluate. Sent my pictures with clinics in thailand and india and the Philippines (where I'm from) and, eugenix was the only clinic that kind of rejected me saying I don't need transplant at this point and to just go on medication.. all others quoted me from 1800 to 2.5k grafts... Also, here's more of a personal suggestion, from my experience, just shave it all off while you're doing you're research and medical therapy, being stuck in that middle ground where you're trying to hide the balding is actually the worst place to be in my opinion, and the worst look aesthetically, you will almost always look better bald (shaved) than the receding hairstyle. 

I can hide my balding fairly well with my wavy/curly hair and the right hair thickening product, so I think that still looks better than bald would, but thanks for the feedback! 

Edited by Adrenaline7

Dutasteride is a great plan. I'm on it as well, and definitely less shedding. Give it a full year for everything to stabilize then reassess. There are some great clinics out there and you would be in a strong position with minimal loss and great donor if you decided to take the plung.

Just be sure to take your time finding a clinic, and keep this forum in the loop on your future direction. 

15 hours ago, Adrenaline7 said:

Second hair transplant for the crown? If I only need 2000-2500 grafts for hairline and front area then I should have plenty of grafts left over. 

I’ve been on Finasteride for just over 6 months now. Yeah, topical Minoxidil gave me a pretty unpleasant burning feeling and racing heart so I might try to add Dutasteride a couple of times a week instead. Apparently studies show that works well. 

I can hide my balding fairly well with my wavy/curly hair and the right hair thickening product, so I think that still looks better than bald would, but thanks for the feedback! 

As a person who basically hit the nuclear button and went to Dutasteride, my advice is to slowly load your dosage and build up to a full transition if that's what you intend. I didn't and went a full 0.5mg a day and had to level out after months. It wasn't bad to the point of making me want to stop, but a more sensible and measured approach is recommended. I was just hyper focused on restoring the maximum amount of hair possible and not lose a moment after letting myself be put off Finasteride by fear mongering a decade earlier and likely losing ground. 

Honestly, in hair loss its slow and steady that wins because it genuinely is a marathon BUT i won't lie and tell you it isn't hard. Most guys want to look their best in their earlier prime years of 20s and 30s but most guys aren't set up correctly for the long tern until late 30s and 40s these days. So focus on that fact to maintain yourself because where others peaked at their 20s and declined, you have a chance to peak and maintain. 

Either way, the choices you make are ultimately your own and you have to own them. Good luck. 

So I'm deciding on two different propositions from two different doctors and was wondering what you guys think. 

The first involves doing hairline/front and crown in one surgery using 3000 grafts. The second involves doing one surgery focusing on the hairline/front using around 3000-3500 grafts, and then doing a second surgery a year later on the crown after giving medication longer to try and fill it in. 

I much prefer the idea of getting it done with one procedure, but is 3000 grafts really enough to cover my hairline, my low density front section and the crown? The second doctor doesn't seem to think so. 

Which proposition seems the better option for my hair loss from the photos I posted? 

There is probably a risk of shockloss and you may look worse than before. Drs like Bicer have the luxury to reject patients because they are booked out for long term. They do not want to have unhappy patients running around forums of course. 

While your hairline doesn’t look bad from the front picture you have shown, it’s the top down photo that shows the real picture.  Now, I haven’t read all the replies so I apologize if you already answered this. But how old are you?   And are you on finasteride or minoxidil?  Based on the photos alone I’d say you’re likely a good candidate for hair transplant surgery.  But this also depends on your age, aggressiveness of your hair loss, your family history of hair loss, treatment regimen, etc.   

Regarding your donor, it appears on the dense side which is good.  Now you do wear it white short near the neck/nape area so it’s hard to tell there, but how is the thickness/density of the hair in that area?

Feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.