Eugenix (Drs. Das/Somesh/Vinita) | 11,102 grafts | NW 6/7 | 28 yrs old | 2022/2023/2024

Posted (edited)

7 months after HT #2; 16 months after HT #1

Things are blending overall much better now. 

Planning for HT #3 right now. I know some here endorse a more conservative route, but ultimately please respect that I will ultimately do what addresses my personal goals for the next 1-3 decades, and I do want to have a 3rd procedure to address some remaining areas of need, and maximize my situation while I'm young. I also have had a change of heart about my length of hair; in the past I said I would maybe just keep my hair faded super short forever. Maybe the lower sides and back, sure, but as for the top and lateral hump areas, I want to be able to grow my hair longer. With good density on top, I can grow it to longer length and hide any slightly lacking areas. The rugged, medium-to-long messy look is one I hope I have the option of rocking at some point.

I want the behind-the-temple areas addressed with a few hundred grafts max, and I want increased density across the entire top, eliminating the horseshoe pattern as much as possible. I expect to be able to get another 2,000-2,500 grafts moved. I will then use SMP on donor area if needed (if it becomes too thin), but I'm not concerned about that because slightly thin donor isn't a terrible look at all and you can see many other cases who have it, and if hair on the top is maximized, no one cares at all that the back and sides are a little thin; it's a barely noticeable thing in overall appearance,

IMG_1902.jpg.5ea4fa5efc536f111caaeba08eae70a2.jpg IMG_1903.jpg.603593994e8706accdd6408fea86768e.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg.ac7514c10bc5d782e27db26f05016dab.jpg IMG_1909.thumb.jpg.4a2cec395d9de319bd661079658f7aa6.jpg

Black = recipient area

Red = donor area

IMG_1902(1).jpg.a114c19bf4c09aa7837416f5a50593e1.jpg IMG_1903(1).jpg.941512a86039c01664feb5c759896dc9.jpg

Below is a photo from last month showing how well my rear donor has recovered from first 2 HTs:

IMG_1191(1).thumb.jpg.76601cfa6122bbacb19a280828a70be6.jpg  IMG_1191.thumb.jpg.36d987666019473b4db021ad1c5d996d.jpg

Edited by general-etwan
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, general-etwan said:

Planning for HT #3 right now. I know some here endorse a more conservative route, but ultimately please respect that I will ultimately do what addresses my personal goals for the next 1-3 decades, and I do want to have a 3rd procedure to address some remaining areas of need, and maximize my situation while I'm young. I also have had a change of heart about my length of hair; in the past I said I would maybe just keep my hair faded super short forever. Maybe the lower sides and back, sure, but as for the top and lateral hump areas, I want to be able to grow my hair longer. With good density on top, I can grow it to longer length and hide any slightly lacking areas. The rugged, medium-to-long messy look is one I hope I have the option of rocking at some point.

I want the behind-the-temple areas addressed with a few hundred grafts max, and I want increased density across the entire top, eliminating the horseshoe pattern as much as possible. I expect to be able to get another 2,000-2,500 grafts moved. I will then use SMP on donor area if needed (if it becomes too thin), but I'm not concerned about that because slightly thin donor isn't a terrible look at all and you can see many other cases who have it, and if hair on the top is maximized, no one cares at all that the back and sides are a little thin; it's a barely noticeable thing in overall appearance,

IMG_1902.jpg.5ea4fa5efc536f111caaeba08eae70a2.jpg IMG_1903.jpg.603593994e8706accdd6408fea86768e.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg.ac7514c10bc5d782e27db26f05016dab.jpg IMG_1909.thumb.jpg.4a2cec395d9de319bd661079658f7aa6.jpg

Black = recipient area

Red = donor area

IMG_1902(1).jpg.a114c19bf4c09aa7837416f5a50593e1.jpg IMG_1903(1).jpg.941512a86039c01664feb5c759896dc9.jpg

Below is a photo from last month showing how well my rear donor has recovered from first 2 HTs:

IMG_1191(1).thumb.jpg.76601cfa6122bbacb19a280828a70be6.jpg  IMG_1191.thumb.jpg.36d987666019473b4db021ad1c5d996d.jpg

Good strategy and progress is definitely there! You are also only at moth 7 so crown will continue to fill.

• Like 1

Hey OP, how does your hair look styled nowadays? (Without fibers or anything). It’d be interesting to see any place where it looks like hair is thinning / etc. I’m in a somewhat similar boat and contemplating whether it’s worth it to get a HT (which would also be with dr das coincidentally) — https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71434-nw-67-worth-going-for-ht/

Edited by avisaxena33

On 1/14/2024 at 7:02 AM, avisaxena33 said:

Hey OP, how does your hair look styled nowadays? (Without fibers or anything). It’d be interesting to see any place where it looks like hair is thinning / etc. I’m in a somewhat similar boat and contemplating whether it’s worth it to get a HT (which would also be with dr das coincidentally) — https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71434-nw-67-worth-going-for-ht/

Just as it does in those most recent pics. Most days I just use tea tree conditioner and occasionally sea salt spray on top. Kind of messy, not combed or held tightly in place.

Thin area is primarily still the crown. Entire top of head could use some more density, but it's overall decent and with hair grown to medium length it looks okay. Not sure how many more grafts we'll be able to add there to increase density in procedure #3...TBD.

• Moderators

You should try to use more beard grafts if you can.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 1/9/2024 at 12:24 PM, general-etwan said:

Black = recipient area

Red = donor area

Hi general-etwan. So you are going to go to Eugenix for the 3rd operation? Perhaps you should think again? I had my 1st hair transplant in Hattingen one year ago (FUT: 4 500 grafts) and I think I go for the 2nd after 6 months. You know, some hair are still appearing. Me and my doctor we want to give more time for newly appearing hair to appear and grow (sorry for my English). If I go for 2nd now the surgeon may not give a chance for potential new hair from the 1s operation to appear since he will not see them and just go over them ... I hope you understand. I looked through your 7-month result after your 2nd and I think you need to wait and give a chance for new potential hair to appear. Plus maybe you should do some research and think about affordable FUT? Personally, I would say that the 7-month result after the 2nd ht is not quite satisfying (all things considered). Of course, the situation may be dramatically changed in a couple of months - such happens a lot. Or maybe the team operated on you just was not skillful enough. We all need to wait and see more later on. For now, you just wait man. Use Toppik if you want and live your life. Wait at list 6, 9 or even 12 months.  

Edited by Murat-kz

3 minutes ago, Murat-kz said:

Hi general-etwan. So you are going to go to Eugenix for the 3rd operation? Perhaps you should think again? I had my 1st hair transplant in Hattingen one year ago (FUT: 4 500 grafts) and I think I go for the 2nd after 6 months. You know, some hair are still appearing. Me and my doctor we want to give more time for newly appearing hair to appear and grow (sorry for my English). If I go for 2nd now the surgeon may not give a chance for potential new hair from the 1s operation to appear since he will not see them and just go over them ... I hope you understand. I looked through your 7-month result after your 2nd and I think you need to wait and give a chance for new potential hair to appear. Plus maybe you should do some research and think about affordable FUT? Personally, I would say that the 7-month result after the 2nd ht is not quite satisfying (all things considered). Of course, the situation may be dramatically changed in a couple of months - such happens a lot. Or maybe the team operated on you just was not skillful enough. We all need to wait and see more later on. For now, you just wait man. Use Toppik if you want and live your life. Wait at list 6, 9 or even 12 months.  

Can you create a topic with photos from your procedure in Hattingen? 

2 hours ago, Murat-kz said:

Just in the early planning stages now, so by the time I have it, it will be at least 10 months since #2. All hair from last one should be well growing and visible. Not worried there.

I think my biggest takeaway so far from my first 2 procedures at Eugenix is, they've been pretty conservative and we haven't been as aggressive as I ultimately want to be. I appreciate being careful at the beginning and being safe, but at this point I can see that my donor area has remained very strong after taking around 7,000 grafts from it. My hairstyle goals have changed a bit since the beginning of all of this and now my plan is to be able to wear medium to longer-length hair, not have super short fades all the time. Therefore, the most important thing for me is still to increase density all across the top and in the crown area. The contrast between the transplanted area and the upper boundary of my rear donor area is still much too drastic. More hair needs to be moved from my rear donor to the top to smooth things out the way I want to. I can grow the hair on the top longer and leave it messy and shaggy to help cover any potential thinning on the sides or back of the head. It's very important for me to increase density on the top at this point; the sides and back of the head are simply much less noticed by people and it really doesn't matter if they get a little thin. Hardly anyone notices those areas, and I can always use SMP if needed for added fill-in.

The world of hair transplants is really a huge spectrum of strategy. American clinics refused to work on me at all (extremely conservative), and relative to them, Eugenix is more aggressive and willing to take on a big project. Yet, at the same time, Eugenix has still been very careful with my donor, and now that I can see it's held up very well, I want to be more aggressive in moving more to the top. I can tell it's going to be an uphill battle getting them to agree to meet my aggressive plan for #3, but confident we can get there. As for other clinics, I simply don't have the finances to pay higher prices, and Eugenix already knows my situation and I very much approve of the quality of work they've done with me.

• Like 1

The crown area of your head takes longer to fill in after a hair transplant. It's normal for this area to take up 18 months to reach its end point. I think you are getting ahead of yourself at the moment being at month 7 and looking forward to the 3rd transplant. Overall, I'm quite impressed with your result. Best wishes. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hoping for hair said:

The crown area of your head takes longer to fill in after a hair transplant. It's normal for this area to take up 18 months to reach its end point. I think you are getting ahead of yourself at the moment being at month 7 and looking forward to the 3rd transplant. Overall, I'm quite impressed with your result. Best wishes. 

I’m maximizing my personal schedule logistically by having the 3rd in the near future. Don’t want to go into details but believe me, can’t have the next in 1-2 years. If I am to do it, it has to be by this coming summer. Just the way life has fallen for me.

Final end result doesn’t have to come before next procedure. I demonstrated that having my 2nd 9 months after the 1st. The hair just has to be sprouted, growing and easily visible for proper planning. Then when the full results of each come, it all comes together. 

Thanks! Come a long way so far but still have a bit to go to achieve what I want out of this. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, general-etwan said:

Just in the early planning stages now, so by the time I have it, it will be at least 10 months since #2. All hair from last one should be well growing and visible. Not worried there.

I think my biggest takeaway so far from my first 2 procedures at Eugenix is, they've been pretty conservative and we haven't been as aggressive as I ultimately want to be. I appreciate being careful at the beginning and being safe, but at this point I can see that my donor area has remained very strong after taking around 7,000 grafts from it. My hairstyle goals have changed a bit since the beginning of all of this and now my plan is to be able to wear medium to longer-length hair, not have super short fades all the time. Therefore, the most important thing for me is still to increase density all across the top and in the crown area. The contrast between the transplanted area and the upper boundary of my rear donor area is still much too drastic. More hair needs to be moved from my rear donor to the top to smooth things out the way I want to. I can grow the hair on the top longer and leave it messy and shaggy to help cover any potential thinning on the sides or back of the head. It's very important for me to increase density on the top at this point; the sides and back of the head are simply much less noticed by people and it really doesn't matter if they get a little thin. Hardly anyone notices those areas, and I can always use SMP if needed for added fill-in.

The world of hair transplants is really a huge spectrum of strategy. American clinics refused to work on me at all (extremely conservative), and relative to them, Eugenix is more aggressive and willing to take on a big project. Yet, at the same time, Eugenix has still been very careful with my donor, and now that I can see it's held up very well, I want to be more aggressive in moving more to the top. I can tell it's going to be an uphill battle getting them to agree to meet my aggressive plan for #3, but confident we can get there. As for other clinics, I simply don't have the finances to pay higher prices, and Eugenix already knows my situation and I very much approve of the quality of work they've done with me.

USA clinics did not want to go for the surgery on you because you were too young? 

About finance: it took me more than $ 20,000 to go from Kazakhstan to Swiss to have FUT with 4,500 grafts. It is more expensive than at Eugenix but this is a long-term, lifetime investment, so quality is always in the first place. If you do not have cash you can take a loan. You are an American! You have all the tools! I could afford such just because I am older than you (42 y.o). It was a choice for me whether to go to Feller and Bloxom (USA),  Hassan and Wong (Canada), and Hattingen Hair Transplantation. I have chosen Hattingens since I thought that quality was the same or not worse than in the other two options and because it was far closer to Kazakhstan. My strategy is to get two FUTs and one FUE (if needed) since I thought that firstly you have to get as much as you can from FUT. If I were you I would go with Feller and Bloxom (USA). Just look at their videos on YouTube. They demonstrate results by combing up wet hair of their patients. I think it is one of the most objective ways to demonstrate results in terms of density and what is more important in terms of naturalness. You can see that only singles on the hairline. Perhaps you can show us your wet comb-through hair results to allow us to get an understanding of the naturalness because honestly looking through your photos I still do not get it.

Even if Eugenix knows you it is not necessary needed to go there again. You have time. Explore opportunities. Go for consultation in the USA for example. And after then decide whether to continue with Eugenix or go with another clinic (sorry for my English)

On 1/19/2024 at 6:13 AM, Murat-kz said:

USA clinics did not want to go for the surgery on you because you were too young? 

About finance: it took me more than $ 20,000 to go from Kazakhstan to Swiss to have FUT with 4,500 grafts. It is more expensive than at Eugenix but this is a long-term, lifetime investment, so quality is always in the first place. If you do not have cash you can take a loan. You are an American! You have all the tools! I could afford such just because I am older than you (42 y.o). It was a choice for me whether to go to Feller and Bloxom (USA),  Hassan and Wong (Canada), and Hattingen Hair Transplantation. I have chosen Hattingens since I thought that quality was the same or not worse than in the other two options and because it was far closer to Kazakhstan. My strategy is to get two FUTs and one FUE (if needed) since I thought that firstly you have to get as much as you can from FUT. If I were you I would go with Feller and Bloxom (USA). Just look at their videos on YouTube. They demonstrate results by combing up wet hair of their patients. I think it is one of the most objective ways to demonstrate results in terms of density and what is more important in terms of naturalness. You can see that only singles on the hairline. Perhaps you can show us your wet comb-through hair results to allow us to get an understanding of the naturalness because honestly looking through your photos I still do not get it.

Even if Eugenix knows you it is not necessary needed to go there again. You have time. Explore opportunities. Go for consultation in the USA for example. And after then decide whether to continue with Eugenix or go with another clinic (sorry for my English)

It wasn't because I was too young; it was because I had too advanced of hair loss. Bernstein in NYC literally told me I'd never be happy with any outcome, full coverage was not possible, and doing a HT would do more harm than good and turned me away. It's fine that I didn't meet Bernstein's criteria of a proper candidate (every doctor has the right to formulate their own grand strategy and pick and choose patients as they wish), but it's also true that Bernstein's clinic didn't care about my goals in the whole thing; they tend to stick to their more traditional, more rigid vision of a HT. And many other USA clinics approach it that same more traditional way.

Will be sharing wet combed back pics next.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, general-etwan said:

It wasn't because I was too young; it was because I had too advanced of hair loss. Bernstein in NYC literally told me I'd never be happy with any outcome, full coverage was not possible, and doing a HT would do more harm than good and turned me away. It's fine that I didn't meet Bernstein's criteria of a proper candidate (every doctor has the right to formulate their own grand strategy and pick and choose patients as they wish), but it's also true that Bernstein's clinic didn't care about my goals in the whole thing; they tend to stick to their more traditional, more rigid vision of a HT. And many other USA clinics approach it that same more traditional way.

Will be sharing wet combed back pics next.

I had too advanced of hair loss. I would never be happy with any outcome, full coverage was not possible!

O My! I have never thought that there is such thing like too-advanced hair loss. Even if a person has the 7th grade by Norwood but he has some donor capacity I thought it was always better to use that capacity to have some coverage rather than do not have anything. Kinda strange logic to me. I am glad that you have some coverage already Man!

Edited by Murat-kz

5 minutes ago, Murat-kz said:

You had too advanced of hair loss. You would never be happy with any outcome, full coverage was not possible!

O My! I have never thought that there is too advanced hair loss. Even if a person has the 7th grade by Norwood but he has some donor capacity I thought it is always better to use that capacity to have some coverage rather than do not have anything. Kinda strange logic to me. I am glad that you have some coverage already Man!

Yeah, well USA clinics can be very picky because they are charging a TON of money for HTs. So, it can be somewhat fair for them to refuse you if they don't think the outcome would validate the price they'd charge you. Many doctors also just don't want to deal with advanced, highly difficult cases...there's a lot of stress and resources involved and high potential for unhappy patients. Carlos Wesley of NYC is another quality doctor who is very picky and conservative with his HTs; he seems to do pretty nice work but let me know if you ever see him operate on someone who is a NW5 or higher because I haven't. A lot of doctors just stick to NW1-4s.

Edited by general-etwan

3 minutes ago, general-etwan said:

Yeah, well USA clinics can be very picky because they are charging a TON of money for HTs. So, it can be somewhat fair for them to refuse you if they don't think the outcome would validate the price they'd charge you. Many doctors also just don't want to deal with advanced, highly difficult cases...there's a lot of stress and resources involved and high potential for unhappy patients. Carlos Wesley of NYC is another quality doctor who is very picky and conservative with his HTs; he seems to do pretty nice work but let me know if you ever see him operate on someone who is a NW5 or higher because I haven't. A lot of doctors just stick to NW1-4s.

That's interesting. All those doctors are FUE doctors? Hassan and Wong in Canada and Feller and Bloxom from the USA are mostly FUT surgeons. You can send your photos to them just to explore this kind of opportunities. We are just a bit worried about your left donor capacity man. Perhaps you have your last shot man. We want that to be maximum productive

7 minutes ago, Murat-kz said:

That's interesting. All those doctors are FUE doctors? Hassan and Wong in Canada and Feller and Bloxom from the USA are mostly FUT surgeons. You can send your photos to them just to explore this kind of opportunities. We are just a bit worried about your left donor capacity man. Perhaps you have your last shot man. We want that to be maximum productive

Yes, Bernstein and Wesley do FUE. Bernstein was an "inventor" of FUE back in 2002.

My donor is still in good shape, I promise. I still want to be fairly aggressive, as I don't mind serving as an experiment of being aggressive in maximizing density on the top and potentially using SMP or other strategy to smooth over donor area; but I really don't even think I'll ever need to use SMP at all. If anything, I'll get it on the top to fill in any weak region. Most people truly do not care about the look of the sides and back of your head, and compared to so many botched cases where clinics butcher people's donor areas, I'm very grateful that I've been taken well care of so far and no common folk in public would even guess there has been anything taken from my donor area.

Wet hair pics coming soon...wait for it...!

• Like 1

Almost 8 months after HT #2 and 17 months after HT #1. Right after showering.

1.thumb.jpg.ec85576fc605ba7b94bd14c2164d4d58.jpg 2.thumb.jpg.7f8b357886695a6f9868ea84504f6db7.jpg  

3.thumb.jpg.594be345c5a27b30d11c448673790cbe.jpg

I saw someone in another thread mentioned that I have gotten poor growth and that 8,300 grafts should be enough; not sure about that; as far as I have monitored, the vast majority of grafts transplanted have grown and grown pretty well. I think it's just very difficult to get the density high when the donor hair isn't super thick (mine isn't, I'd say average) and there's so much surface area to cover on a NW 7. But I haven't noticed any substantial number of grafts not grow well. If I could be wrong about this, let me know.

In planning for #3, I'd like to highlight the following points:

1. The behind-the-temple areas look better now and I'm not sure any more grafts are really needed there at all anymore. At very short buzzed length, there can be a visible gap (because the transplanted temples are thicker and the area directly behind them is a bit miniaturized), but grown out a little, it's not that noticeable.
  2. I think it may be worth flattening the corners of the hairline just a tiny bit at the front corners. When you see me from the front, the visible upper temple corner recession is very deep, especially with the hair combed back, which means the lateral hump regions are not as strong as they could be. A big reason for the lateral hump areas still looking a little weak is because of the deep upper temple corner recession. The original hairline was a proper start for HT #1, but now spending a few hundred grafts to bring each corner slightly lower may be worth the visual improvement. For example, in Tom Brady, who is rumored to have had hair work over the years (and even if he hasn't, he still serves as a good example of this), the corners of his hairline are flatter, which promotes a slightly more youthful look as opposed to deep temporal recession. I think @Bandit90 also had his hairline slightly "flatter" than mine towards the corners and I'm a big fan of his. I understand this is a risky area to get right but I have confidence we can get it right. It will be a very minor, careful lowering.
  3. You can see the drastic change in density that still remains between the crown region and the upper donor region; notice how the crown hair lays flat and close to the scalp (because of much lower density) and the upper donor region sticks out straight more (because it's denser and thicker). This drastic change in density still has to be smoothed out more for my liking. I will be adamant that a decent number of grafts be taken from my rear donor region again and moved north to further homogenize things. We have to remember that "baldness" is largely inferred due to a drastic change in hair density at some point on the scalp. If things are smoothed out as much as possible, even if the overall hair density is lower, the general public does not infer "baldness" nearly as much.

My vision for slightly lowered corners of hairline, which could increase visual appearance from the front:

1.thumb.jpg.ec85576fc605ba7b94bd14c2164d4d58.jpg 1b.thumb.jpg.9c5f99612caf688c47f8584e99b8bfe5.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.594be345c5a27b30d11c448673790cbe.jpg 3b.thumb.jpg.2ec9dc7d6602c937697d7d3675f206b5.jpg

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.6d2c451c08df7bc1d7c6a30fa6c73f7f.jpg

Edited by general-etwan
  • Like 1

@general-etwan you're right when you said you donor hair isn't think. that is indeed the starting point. Multiple transplants are not going to solve the actual problem. I think that you should look at volumising shampoo and conditioner. As long as you have near-full head coverage then all you have to do is create more volume in your hair to make it thick and luscious.

do visit my thread if you have the time. 

@Murat-kz @Hoping for hair @GeneralNorwood @BeHappy

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@general-etwan I think your results are looking great! For a Norwood seven not many people can achieve the naturalness and coverage that you have. This is just my opinion that due to your age and being a Norwood 7 I wouldn’t put anymore grafts in the hairline. I would only focus on the crown (if needed?) and for any weak spots either now or in the future. Wishing you all the best with your next surgery! 👊🏻

• Like 3

• Valued Contributor
43 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

@general-etwan I think your results are looking great! For a Norwood seven not many people can achieve the naturalness and coverage that you have. This is just my opinion that due to your age and being a Norwood 7 I wouldn’t put anymore grafts in the hairline. I would only focus on the crown (if needed?) and for any weak spots either now or in the future. Wishing you all the best with your next surgery! 👊🏻

This. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, asterix0 said:

would you mind sharing a top down view? From your angles it is impossible to get some notion of the yield. 

Yeah I’ll take one tonight, though it’s important to realize that looking straight down with my hair at this length is misleading and not very telling of much because the length of hair varies and some areas look thinner just by how the hair happens to be laying. I’d have to buzz my hair short for you to really see what you’d want. Angled pics actually are more visually telling at this length. 

11 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I agree with this. I think your hairline looks good, and the rounded temples in general (as Eugenix have made videos about) is not really desirable for males older than their teens. I know some think it looks good and teeny but personally I strongly agree with Eugenix here, and I think you will too over time if you don't now, Etwan. Better use would be crown and any weaker spots. In regards to you not being concerned about your donor and just wanting a homogenous distribution I think you are mostly right and put the edge hair on the top just have more value (to me as well) than hair on the sides and back. If the donor becomes really back you could get smp, so there I can definitely see your point.

• Like 1