Recent work by Dr. Haber?

I am considering scheduling my procedure (FUT, ~2500 grafts, hairline only) with Dr. Haber, but I'm having trouble finding much in the way of recent results on this and other forums.

Many other doctors seem to have far more patients posting on the "Hair Restoration Results Posted by Patients" subforum (whereas Dr. Haber's mostly seem to be from about a decade ago), and they also seem to have higher-quality before/after photos on their HairlossLearningCenter.org profiles.

I met with Dr. Haber recently and really enjoyed talking with him and felt confident, but I'm a little hesitant to schedule when recent examples of his work seem to be so sparse.

Can I get some input or feedback to help me decide if this is the right surgeon for me?

• Like 1

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000 grafts, Summer 2023

I live in the area and didn't think he had nearly enough posted results, transparent enough results (no videos, comb-throughs, immediate post op graft placement pictures, etc.), or high enough quality results.  I would've sent this privately, but that feature wasn't available.  I count 10 before/afters on his site, zero videos, average quality, and zero graft counts posted.  

Edited by John1991
  • Like 1

So as a general rule I would stay FAR away from clinics who, in addition to hair transplants, do other cosmetic types of surgeries like face lifts, dermatology.....etc...etc. The reason for that is he wont be specialized in doing hair transplants and probably isnt as good as a surgeon who is

https://haberderm.com/

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Coverdale had some recent work with Dr. Haber.

I did a podcast with him and found him to be very knowledgeable. We discussed some of his results and work

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Coverdale ghosted pretty early on in the process so we have no clue how it went.  As for the results he showed, those couple of guys have been featured on his site for over half a decade without really any new ones being introduced.  And even with them we don't see graft placement or comb throughs or videos.  I do think he's knowledgeable and I do think he's competent - he's not going to botch you or get you poor growth I'd imagine - but in terms of giving yourself a good chance to get substantial improvement, there are others I'd choose ahead of hm.  Rahal, H&W, Konior, Nadimi, and Bloxham in North America for starters and then a good handful of guys in Europe as well.  

Edited by John1991
  • Like 2

I received a HT from Dr. Haber just over 6 months ago. It was about 6 months and 12 days ago, if I'm remembering correctly. The service was impeccable and the procedure went very smoothly. I have a full review posted here on this forum. I haven't done an update in quite some time because life has been so busy. I'm about %80 happy with the results at this point. I do wish that I was seeing thicker and more dense results, but I'm hoping that I'll see the hairs mature in the following months. I'll post some photos below. Ignore my cheeseburger and french-fry t-shirt... lol. 

Dr. Haber provided a great experience and results that I think are above average. If I could go back, I would have lowered by hairline a little bit and tried to go with an even denser hairline. I still stand by my decision to use Dr. Haber. I have a short video that I just took, but I'm unable to upload it here, unless @Melvin- Moderator knows of some way. It just shows me doing a brush through and such. 

302047080_801807137921186_2883629582486107337_n.jpeg

300501145_799963707704409_4354460281704971546_n.jpeg

301193122_1091296894811806_6410867068584054027_n.jpeg

301378952_776540803795306_627077284519349922_n.jpeg

297801943_602147204787502_4223912157060085210_n.jpeg

301849335_442555897838224_3213440387831971279_n.jpeg

301804628_1053608345344634_8467322715516871687_n.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John1991 said:

What's the hairline look with the hair not combed down and covering the hairline, though?  I'm not trashing it, I just honestly couldn't make a fair assessment based on these pics.  I'm glad you're satisfied.

No, I understand. I'll try and get a hairline picture when I can. As I said, it's not as strong as I'd like (but are they ever? lol)... however, it's better than what I had, which makes me feel better. That, coupled with fin/minoxidil, I'm in a better place and mentality. The hairline wasn't lowered, so let me make that clear. It was receded significantly in the sides, so the procedure restored those areas and added density to the center hairline and the receding areas, as well as a hundred or so grafts to the completely bald scar area in the center of my scalp (about quarter dollar size). I'm still hoping that I'll see further progression and thickness. Think that's likely, or at 6 months will this be as good as it gets?

@John1991  Here are a few close ups of the hairline. I'm standing directly under three LED lights, so there is an immense amount of direct light on my scalp. During the day, it's not as transparent as it is here. I wet and then used gel to slick my hair back as much as possible. My hair is rather short, so it still stands when slicked back right now, but this is a good idea of how it looks wet. I also pushed my widows peak back a few hairs last night with a razor, so one of the hairs was cut in half and I hadn't plucked it before I took the photos, so ignore that one hair,lol. I also added a photo of my hair completely dry. 

295048126_441058718082220_6008603512454923795_n.jpeg

297258468_832318701508955_8893932794374231770_n.jpeg

298711462_771451724131164_8398524404483529961_n.jpeg

299316702_1285037772314887_731255603564610115_n.jpeg

297033854_1071061740257925_952830335141677779_n.jpeg

297478469_763824201341537_4498529947925332391_n.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 12:46 PM, Westview said:

So as a general rule I would stay FAR away from clinics who, in addition to hair transplants, do other cosmetic types of surgeries like face lifts, dermatology.....etc...etc. The reason for that is he wont be specialized in doing hair transplants and probably isnt as good as a surgeon who is

https://haberderm.com/

I agree with this. I would go to a surgeon who only practices hair transplant surgery. 

• Like 1

I don't think him being a dermatologist is a problem.  I think it'd look better if you grew it out to medium length, but I would say this is definitely an improvement.  Hopefully it keeps thickening.  If you get another procedure done, I'd be wary of lowering, but increasing the density in the already created hairline would be fine.  What's the distance between the lowest point of your hairline in the center and the glabella?

• Like 1

I don't personally see an issue with a hair restoration surgeon offering other services. I want to know that they do good work, and lots of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John1991 said:

I don't think him being a dermatologist is a problem.  I think it'd look better if you grew it out to medium length, but I would say this is definitely an improvement.  Hopefully it keeps thickening.  If you get another procedure done, I'd be wary of lowering, but increasing the density in the already created hairline would be fine.  What's the distance between the lowest point of your hairline in the center and the glabella?

Dr. Haber measured it to 6-7cm, I can't remember which. The "issue" is that my natural hairline was around 5cm. My natural hairline before any receding was where the mole on my upper forehead is. My hairline was directly covering that. 

That's a very good range.  Mine is around 7.5 or just a smidge less and looks quite good IMO.  You'll use too many grafts getting down to that mole and you'll risk having to go back again to ensure the density is spot on in case it isn't the first time.  As far as whether it'll improve or not, only time will tell.  I'm about 3 weeks shy of 6 months and it definitely seems as if more thickness is to come.  If the hair still looks (and this is probably easier to tell in person) to be a bit thinner than the rest of your hair, then it'll probably improve.  Honestly, the whole timeline is frustrating because it seems to vary so much and I think the "average" timeline is structured for patients that genuinely grow slowly so they don't freak out.  I think most people are 80-90% of the way done at 6 months.

Edited by John1991

On 9/5/2022 at 2:30 AM, gaz9318054 said:

I don't personally see an issue with a hair restoration surgeon offering other services. I want to know that they do good work, and lots of it.

Wouldn't a surgeon who focuses exclusively on hair transplants have better experience and skills than someone who merely dabbles in it? It's tough, tedious, microsurgery.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buck Naked said:

Wouldn't a surgeon who focuses exclusively on hair transplants have better experience and skills than someone who merely dabbles in it? It's tough, tedious, microsurgery.

Not necessarily. At the end of the day, I think what matters are results.

• Administrators

There are NO hair transplant surgeons that specialize in hair transplants in the United States. It's not a recognized field yet. Most hair transplant surgeons are board-certified dermatologists, since that is who specializes in hair loss and skin related ailments. Some surgeons are facial plastic surgeons, others head and neck surgeons. I don't think offering other cosmetic procedures is a bad thing. As long as they specialize in hair transplants first.

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

What plastic surgery? Everything listed on his website is dermatological related cosmetic procedure.  There is too much hoopla about doctors that specialize in hair transplant vs doctors that do more than hair transplant. 

The truth is there are crappy doctors in both teams, and extraordinary ones in both.  That is not a helpful criteria when going around searching for your HT doc.  Just stay away from plastic surgeons that hire techs from neograft to do their hair transplants on the side. Those doctors are easily avoided by checking in with the forum here. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...