is washing hair everyday bad?

i use minoxidil 5% foam twice a day and topical finasteride once a day, is it ok to wash my hair every evening?

i want to know what the healthiest option would be? washing every other day or once a day? my hair is pretty oily by washing every other day but i dont want the quality of my hair to decrease if i wash every day? i might be worrying for no reason but would like to know what u guys think

1 hour ago, demezz2 said:

i use minoxidil 5% foam twice a day and topical finasteride once a day, is it ok to wash my hair every evening?

i want to know what the healthiest option would be? washing every other day or once a day? my hair is pretty oily by washing every other day but i dont want the quality of my hair to decrease if i wash every day? i might be worrying for no reason but would like to know what u guys think

Shampooing your hair every day is not great, the chemicals strip your natural oils and dry up your scalp. But washing your hair, meaning soaking your head with water, is not bad. I do something similar in that I apply my topicals in the evening and the next morning before work I shower with just water and style my hair before I leave

• Like 1

i used to wash them twice daily due to the oiliness, most would say men can wash their hair around once every 2 days.

same reason as you, as my hair is very oily if left alone too long, but now i just run water through them for a while while trying to shake them a little looser so that accumulated oil can be released slightly, and shampoo them at night.

• Like 1

My clinic had me shampooing twice a day for months, using shampoos they told me to buy.

I stopped doing that after 6 months though.  Figured at that point, nothing I do can in any way mess with final result.

Check out my journey here:

Don't go overboard with that regime. Maybe if you use super-neutral baby shampoo you can do it every day, but as our esteemed colleagues have mentioned, it ruins the balance of your scalp's natural oils. Once per two days is more than enough. 

• Like 1

I was quite delusional at some point regarding this. Tried to avoid shampooing everyday, switched to sulfate free shampoo, shower filter etc In the end what I can say is that I know personally people who shampoo everyday with agressive type of shampoo, and they have no hairloss at all.

To sum up, this is not an issue.

I still use sulfate free shampoo but am shampooing everyday, as I noticed my hair have much more volume doing so.

• Moderators

I used to wash my hair twice a day because it was so oily, but now I mostly wash it once a day. I don't think it matters really. I think most men wash their hair daily.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Demezz2,

Depending on the physiology and make up of your hair and scalp, it may be better to wash rack my hair with shampoo and conditioner every other day versus every day. That said, depending on your lifestyle which includes how often you physically exercise and the type of exercise you’re doing, it may call for daily washing.

all that to say, washing every day or every other day is not going to cause or exacerbate hair loss nor is it going to affect the long term quality of your hair.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

7 hours ago, Rasputin said:

I was quite delusional at some point regarding this. Tried to avoid shampooing everyday, switched to sulfate free shampoo, shower filter etc In the end what I can say is that I know personally people who shampoo everyday with agressive type of shampoo, and they have no hairloss at all.

To sum up, this is not an issue.

I still use sulfate free shampoo but am shampooing everyday, as I noticed my hair have much more volume doing so.

This is logically incorrect. Just because you know people who shampoo every day that have great hair doesn't mean it's a good idea for everyone to do it, and does not mean that it can't contribute to hair loss for people pre-disposed to it. 

Your hair will appear to have more volume if you shampoo more often. Having oily hair is the enemy of volume. That does not mean that shampooing every day is a good idea. 

22 hours ago, TorontoMan said:

Shampooing your hair every day is not great, the chemicals strip your natural oils and dry up your scalp. But washing your hair, meaning soaking your head with water, is not bad. I do something similar in that I apply my topicals in the evening and the next morning before work I shower with just water and style my hair before I leave

thanks!! i can’t believe i never thought of just using water. ill try it and see how my hair turns out 

19 hours ago, mafpe said:

i used to wash them twice daily due to the oiliness, most would say men can wash their hair around once every 2 days.

same reason as you, as my hair is very oily if left alone too long, but now i just run water through them for a while while trying to shake them a little looser so that accumulated oil can be released slightly, and shampoo them at night.

thanks!! i’m going to do this

I wash my hair twice daily but I use a cleansing conditioner called Wen by Chaz Dean. No foaming, sulfates, or any of that. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

Every barber/stylist I've ever known has said to not wash your hair daily, as it strips your scalp of a lot of the healthy oils. That said, my scalp has always been rather sensitive, and I have to wash my hair almost daily or else risk it getting itchy and breaking out. So - as a general rule, washing it every other day would be ideal... but also do what works best for you based on some trial and error. If you're going to do it daily, you could try using a milder shampoo every other day so that it's not getting a daily deep clean. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

If you use styling products like Gel or Wax, obviously you have to wash it out

If you go to the gym or been to the beach, you're gonna wash your hair from all the sweat and salt

If you do neither of the above... you can wash your hair twice a week if you really need to

It really depends on one’s physiology as well as lifestyle…and if you are exposed to a work environment that has lots of airborne dust, dirt, etc., all of this has a bearing on how often to wash hair.

IMHO, it’s not so much how often to wash hair but rather focusing on good hair hygiene overall…as several of you have stated, sometimes just a simple matter of rinsing the hair without using shampoo will suffice especially for those who maintain a vigorous daily physical routine…I do this myself and only use shampoo and creme rinse twice per week…you will find the right balance after some trial and error…some of us are utilizing lots of topical products and are finding out that more frequent washing is needed and those of us who do not use topicals will discover that less frequent washing is fine….so again, the focus is maintaining a healthy clean environment, not necessarily the frequency of washing.

• Like 3

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY