Do you think it's time to get surgery?

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for opening.  I have been insecure about my hairline for many years and I just turned 47 and want to be proactive.  I have taken propecia for 20 years and used rogaine but it's not enough.  I have posted on here a few times and members told me to wait.  I am here to get another opinion from you guys.  I have no idea why the photos came out upside down but i can't figure out how to change them.  I am unhappy with my hairline and would prefer it to be like the last pic where my hair is pushed down.  Please help me find a good surgeon.  I am in the bay area but I am happy to travel out of state or country.  I just want to stop being upset when i see my hairline.  My hair is light color so I'm worried the transplant will show or be obvious.  Do light haired people get good results?  Thank you all for reading and any advice.

47 year old, trying to figure out first transplant.  

Thank you,

Macavelli

IMG_2002.jpeg

IMG_1998.jpeg

IMG_1997.jpeg

IMG_1999.jpeg

IMG_2001.jpeg

• Administrators

Only you can answer that question. Have you researched hair transplants? Are you on preventive medication? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Honestly that's a full head of hair for your age. I see some NW2, at worst mature and really thick NW3 there. It looks really good and no one in their right minds would consider you to be balding. 

As Melvin mentioned, you are an ideal candidate and you won't even require too many grafts if you wish to go back to NW1. Purely an aesthetic choice for you. 

• Like 1

Your age and the fact you say you been on medication for 20 years with propecia seems to make you a more ideal candidate for a frontal hairline transplant. You look like you have solid density in the frontal area with just the corners to close down slightly lower. 

OP, you need to research who you think meets your budget and goals. The forum list is usually a good place to send out pictures for a consultation and price. Bot exhaustive but a good place to start and using this site to check reviews. 

Macavelli,

At 47 years age and being on Capicia for 20 years, I honestly don’t know why anybody told you to wait or that you weren’t a candidate for hair transplant surgery.   Now are you still taking Propecia or did you stop taking it? And if you stopped, how long ago was that? Same questions for minoxidil.

Now, the photos are upside down and you’ve only presented photos of the hairline but I’m assuming that’s because you don’t have any real thinning in the areas behind it?  Now assuming you have the donor for it, you see him like an excellent candidate for hairline refinement and overall her transplant surgery. 

If you’re interested in hearing what Dr. Rahal has to say I would like to schedule one oh one information session with him, feel free to send me a private message and I’ll be happy to set it up for you.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks everyone who responded.  I really appreciate it.  I also teach martial arts and I am worried that rolling around on the mat will mess up the procedure.  How long would i have to wait to exercise before the procedure heals?

Hello Macavelli,

After the average age of 35, I do not expect a dramatic shedding in men. You are 47 years old, and your hairline will stay that way. If you are not very concerned about your hairline, I would not recommend you a hair transplant operation.

But if you are not satisfied with your hairline, a single session hair transplant operation will be sufficient with 2500-3000 grafts. Since the number is low, it can be done unshaven.

Dr.Kuddusi ONAY

Personally, at your age and degree of loss (you even still have your temple points) I’d go konior, Freitas, couto, or pinto and get the hairline of my dreams.

you have a lot of hair so I’d go to an expert clinic to avoid shocking out your existing hair and blending your new hairline in naturally.

I think the risk/reward is rather skewed in the risk category in your situation. Personally would not recommend a HT

That said if you got one it would be very small number of grafts needed so I guess you could likely afford to go to the best of the best. Would still not recommend. 

• Like 1

Do you guys recommend going out of the country or staying in the states if money was no object?  I don't think I would need that many grafts to fix my hairline.  I just don't want there to be all these other issues like scarring or it looking obvious, that makes me regret it.  Are most people happy with the outcome?