Bisanga wants me to wait for a year and apply medication and then reassess!?

Medication is to stabilize your hair loss. If you get a hair transplant and fix everything on the front. But continue to bald behind it leaving this island of thick head its not going to be a ideal circumstance.

A hair transplant doesn't stop hair loss. Medication does.

I think that what Bisanga is telling you to do is a smart/reasonable approach. He's trying to get the most hair for your lifetime on the top of your head, and doing that requires you to sometimes wait and see what you can do on medication.

• Like 2

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

Dr Bisanga is one of the most ethical doctors out there. Think about it, he could take your money and he charges enough to make it worth his while and just not care about what happens next if he was like those hair mills, yet he took out the time to try help you get the best outcome. 

The reason Dr Bisanga likely told you to take medication is because you can possibly save your hair with Finasteride or Dutasteride. After that, he's telling you to reassess because you might not even want or need a hair transplant. 

OP, get on medication and use hair fibres for now. You'll get a crisp looking hairline visually with minimal effort and the medication regimen is a doddle. You literally pop 1 pill a day like a multivitamin. I've been on Dutasteride for over 12 months now and was on it just over 12 months when i got my hair transplant. You can probably save even more hair than i could with medication. 

• Like 6

Hi DriveByShooter

Not sure of your age but from this photo alone you have a lot of miniaturisation and loss potential and medication is really a good protocol to have and not be chasing loss. We look at age, loss potential, donor limitations etc all need to be taken into account. I don't know the advisor you are in contact with so do not know any personal details but from the photo as said medication would be wise to get on and at least stabilise the loss.

For sure it is not an easy nor instant fix but advice given in good faith and we do not make money from saying the above so the motives are what is best for the patient longterm and also from 2 decades of experience of how hair loss is progressive and so not rushing into surgery.

Others may have a different take and of course you can as said here consult others who may offer you surgery for tomorrow.

You are thinning in a fairly large area and not just the hairline so this should not be ignored or downgraded but make sure you understand the pros and cons of any approach. 

Of course, wishing you the best in any decision you make.

image.jpeg.3ba34913df3d72228aeeeed186c3d5d8.jpeg

• Like 1

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

• Valued Contributor
11 hours ago, DriveByShooter said:

He expects me to walk around with a hairline like this?

You have gone t literally the best. The wise advice he has given to you is worth gold. A hair mill clinic would have taken your money and left you physically and mentally tortured for life. All the best!

• Like 5

Figthing hair loss is not a "quick fix". You must plan for the rest of your life, because your hairloss will only keep advancing until the day you die. Ethical doctors care about how your transplant will look in the future. Bisanga knows for a fact if you use 0 medication and get a high density transplant in the temple area, you will look like sh!t 5-10 years down the line. 

There is way too many sob stories of people with short term thinking that came from your position. Tread carefully!

• Like 3

• Administrators

Medication is the first line of defense. Getting on meds for a year is the smart thing to do.

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

17 hours ago, DriveByShooter said:

He expects me to walk around with a hairline like this?

Get yourself some concealer like hair fibers and/or Dermmatch. You'll need to reapply it after showering, but its pretty quick and easy.

There's a forum section on concealers here, read up if you aren't already familiar with them. There are legit ones that work really well.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/forum/28-shampoos-sprays-and-concealers/

Edited by ciaus
  • Like 1

• Moderators

A lot of Drs have a 6 month to 1 year wait time anyway, so if you're setting the HT date for a year from now with the agreement that you'll use meds from now until the HT day, so you can get the best result and not need as many grafts then that makes a lot of sense, but if you are going to use meds for a year and then set a date and have to wait another 6 months to a year then I would have a problem with because now you are potentially waiting 2 years.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

He could easily take your money, throw grafts at your hairline and ride off into the sunset with pockets full of cash.

But no…he’s actually ethical and wants to give you the best long term outcome unlike many doctors who only care about $.

consider yourself very lucky that you got to see a doctor like him. Many of us wish the doctors we saw had ethics.

take your meds and shave down your hair for now.

• Like 5